Loyalty Match....Very Clever or Risky

I was amazed how smooth and easy this whole process went. I submitted the form and included a screenshot of the box that includes my name, number, points, and level on the Royal Caribbean website. I believe it took about 3 days and I received a single email welcoming me and informing me that my number was in the attached pdf. The pdf had my number and said that I was a black card holder. I am Diamond with Royal Caribbean. Never received a phone call, any emails asking for communication, or even marketing items. Only communication I received (and have received since) is the welcome email with my level and number.

The MSC Seaside certainly has me interested and getting to start at the highest loyalty level takes away the only reason to stay with Royal instead of giving it a try. Seems like a brilliant move on their part and I'm sure they will gain a lot more people willing to give them a shot than they would have otherwise. With the level of anger on these boards lately that could be huge. It only takes one good cruise to jump lines permanently (or even just change to 50/50 which is still huge), this makes that decision much easier.

Are you going to be at this highest level that MSC offers for ONE cruise or are you starting your relationship with them at that level and every cruise you take from that point on will be AT THAT LEVEL?

Are you going to be at this highest level that MSC offers for ONE cruise or are you starting your relationship with them at that level and every cruise you take from that point on will be AT THAT LEVEL?

The way that everything is worded in the letter it seems that I will be starting at that level in their loyalty program, not just for a single sailing. They even state that I will receive my loyalty card for the appropriate level during my first cruise which would point to it being a permanent change. What I haven't been able to find clarification on yet is if it it a true point number or similar to sailing Celebrity with Royal points. I know I'm black level but if I was a lower level or they add a higher one I'm not sure if I would immediately be building points from that level or starting at 0 and having to reach this level for real before getting any higher. They do say though that this is a one time thing and cannot be combined with existing points.

The way that everything is worded in the letter it seems that I will be starting at that level in their loyalty program, not just for a single sailing. They even state that I will receive my loyalty card for the appropriate level during my first cruise which would point to it being a permanent change. What I haven't been able to find clarification on yet is if it it a true point number or similar to sailing Celebrity with Royal points. I know I'm black level but if I was a lower level or they add a higher one I'm not sure if I would immediately be building points from that level or starting at 0 and having to reach this level for real before getting any higher. They do say though that this is a one time thing and cannot be combined with existing points.

When MSC announced this Loyalty match, it sounded to me, as if it was to encourage people to try them and give them for one cruise an equal status to what they had attained with the cruise they had some loyalty with. Based on what they have said to you, that may not be the case. Yet, they seem to be confusing the situation when they add, what I have highlighted in red -- because then my question would be: "What existing points would you be combining, anyway?" if this was your first cruise on MSC.

..."What existing points would you be combining, anyway?" if this was your first cruise on MSC.

I believe they are stressing that you can only pick one other loyalty program to use to get MSC status. In other words, you could not combine a Royal Platinum level with a Carnival Red level to get more points than either would get you alone.

I believe they are stressing that you can only pick one other loyalty program to use to get MSC status. In other words, you could not combine a Royal Platinum level with a Carnival Red level to get more points than either would get you alone.

Correct, it's also exclusive to new people. So if you have ever sailed with MSC and earned points you are not able to use this to jump to a higher level because you already have points to your name and this promotion cannot be combined with it.

It sounds like a great benefit to encourage people to try more cruise lines. The more willing people are to try different lines, the harder the lines have to work to create a great experience. The customers are the winners, so I don't really see a problem.

Whilst not wishing to be argumentative, I do not think this is correct. I have previously sailed with MSC and had a membership number. My Royal membership now gets me a Black status, and I have received my card to say so.

Correct, it's also exclusive to new people. So if you have ever sailed with MSC and earned points you are not able to use this to jump to a higher level because you already have points to your name and this promotion cannot be combined with it.

Welcome everyone to the confusion that is MSC.

Loads of questions that you with either i) never have answered or ii) several different answers too.

I reached Gold (4 cruises and a moderate OBS) before giving up with them. That's not to say I wouldn't cruise with them again, if the deal was right.

I will say, that once onboard, the experience is very good.

That would make sense, then.

DH is still waiting to hear back after submitting their application with a copy of our most recent SeaPass that listed our Diamond status....so once they grant you status at a certain level for that first cruise, you remain there as if you had 'earned the status' just like other cruisers did?

Edited by Paulette3028

Welcome everyone to the confusion that is MSC.

Loads of questions that you with either i) never have answered or ii) several different answers too.

I reached Gold (4 cruises and a moderate OBS) before giving up with them. That's not to say I wouldn't cruise with them again, if the deal was right.

I will say, that once onboard, the experience is very good.

There is confusion everywhere and people would say that even with Royal you get different answers to questions from different people or no answer at times.

I am just sharing below an article that I came upon about the changes at MSC that I found.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=6440

I tend to agree that I might feel a bit cheated if RCL started giving first time cruisers the same benefits as those of us who have gained the benefits through multiple cruises.

Julie

Hey RCI does this all the time. We'll be diamond in November on the NOS but a first time cruiser who books a suite gets perks I won't get. I don't see the difference.

Edited by nbsjcruiser

Hey RCI does this all the time. We'll be diamond in November on the NOS but a first time cruiser who books a suite gets perks I won't get. I don't see the difference.

I expect someone who pays thousands for a suite to get some perks. I'm not sure I would expect a first time cruiser in a deck 2 inside cabin to get all my D perks.

Suite perks are not the same as what a Diamond cruiser would get and for the amount that people pay for a Suite, they should receive their own perks.

I have no intention of paying that fee, but am not annoyed at what they get for their money. I enjoy the benefits that being a Diamond gives me and they enjoy the ones they get.

Having today received an email from MSC that tells me about their new Loyalty Match Program, which offers to match benefits of other cruise lines and hotel programs. I have to ask how people would feel if Royal attempted to do something similar.

Personally I feel as if whilst it is a clever promotion, if other cruisers that had not sailed loyally with Royal got the same benefits as I do by gaining cruise points, then I would not be that impressed. I know that Royal have a partial program with Celebrity, but that is within the same group, what do you think ?

MSC has traditionally targeted the European Market and up until now has never had plans to permanently home base a ship in North America. MSC's new build the Seaside will be permanently based in North America when it debuts in 2017. So it makes sense that MSC has chosen to do a Loyalty Match Program to entice consumers from other cruise lines that have long been established in the North American Market.

The current MSC loyalty match program appears to be away to introduce cruises from other lines in attempt to build up North American Market interest in preparation for their introduction of the Seaside when it's home based in North America in 2017.

Doubt RCCL or any other cruise line well established in the North American Market will follow suit.

Edited by xxoocruiser

MSC has traditionally targeted the European Market and up until now has never had plans to permanently home base a ship in North America. MSC's new build the Seaside will be permanently based in North America when it debuts in 2017. So it makes sense that MSC has chosen to do a Loyalty Match Program to entice consumers from other cruise lines that have long been established in the North American Market.

The current MSC loyalty match program appears to be away to introduce cruises from other lines in attempt to build up North American Market interest in preparation for their introduction of the Seaside when it's home based in North America in 2017.

Doubt RCCL or any other cruise line well established in the North American Market will follow suit.

MSC has called themselves permanent in the American mkt since 2013, (though they left this summer for the Med., and return in the fall)!

MSC brought the Divina here to Miami in 2013, it was a real step up, a beautiful ship, compared to smaller, older ships they had in Florida in the past.

MSC announced the 'Seaside' ship (new class, check it out on youtube) is coming to Miami in 2017(ship will be named formally in Miami),

a second MSC ship sails diuring the winter in the Eastern Caribbean out of Martinique,

and 4 MSC ships sail South America this winter.

With the future new builds announced, MSC attempting to take over as #3 in major cruise lines. At least that's what has been reported.

Those extra cabins on new ships, with new routes will need new cruisers, thus the new program!:)

That would make sense, then.

DH is still waiting to hear back after submitting their application with a copy of our most recent SeaPass that listed our Diamond status....so once they grant you status at a certain level for that first cruise, you remain there as if you had 'earned the status' just like other cruisers did?

DH got his electronic card with an ID# assigned to it. I submitted my application....but we are not running out the door to book with them just quite

yet.

We are very loyal to Royal, however........We received an e-mail that if you book an inside cabin on certain Jan - June Divinia cruises, they will upgrade you to a balcony and give you $100 obc. And if you booked through a certain online agency, the price is reduced even more.

In addition, we are D+ and that equates to Black with MSC. That gives you an additional 5% off of the price of the cruise and $50 more in obc. If you go to their site you will see the benefits for Black status - one of them is a free dinner. They do not, however, give free drinks in a lounge like we get on RCCL. There is a special event for Black card holders also.

We booked a June 4th eastern caribbean cruise to check them out. To the person who responded that those who gained Black status will be unhappy with us getting the upgraded benefits needs to consider how many U.S. residents cruised on MSC to get there. On ships sailing in the U.S. I think very few so it is smart to try to win us over with this benefit and those who cruise them the most, I would imagine Europeans, will not even know about this.

They have some cruises the beginning of Dec. for under $400 inside.

The main complaint that I heard last year with them is the Italian crew. They heard the cries and will now staff with Filipino's when it gets to Miami for the U.S. market.

Can't wait to try them.

It has been widely reported that since MSC Cruises is a subsidiary of the huge freighter company, that they can basically spend as much as they want to establish themselves and grow.

MSC Group is privately held by the Aponte family in Geneva, Switzerland. MSC Cruises is one of the three companies held by the family. Even with that they only come in at #170 on the Forbes list.

As it is privately held it is not as easy to find information about the company sometimes.

Here is an interesting profile on the Chairman that sheds light on the history of the company.

http://www.maritime-executive.com/magazine/pierfrancesco-vago-executive-chairman-msc-cruises

MSC has hired a number of former key RCL people from RCI and Celebrity in the marketing functions.

http://msc.media.mscnetwork.com/Press-Area%5C200812%5CUS-MANAGEMENT-TEAM-BIOS_ID951_A09E0D844B.pdf

If their North American loyalty base is very small I guess it could work. If Royal did that, we'd never ever hear the end of it.

Because we were Diamond on Royal, Celebrity automatically gave us their Elite status when we booked a cruise with them.

We were told this was permanent even if the policy changes.

On A Celebrity cruise earlier this year, we were told how lucky we were because this policy will indeed change next year & you will have to earn your way up.

Because we were Diamond on Royal, Celebrity automatically gave us their Elite status when we booked a cruise with them.

On A Celebrity cruise earlier this year, we were told how lucky we were because this policy will indeed change next year & you will have to earn your way up.

I would be very surprised if they did that.....Royal and Celebrity are 'sister lines' under the same corporate banner, so alienating anyone that has enjoyed these benefits makes no sense.

After I read what you were told, I reached out to an executive that I know who works for Celebrity. The response that I got were that they do not have any plans in the near future to change the current reciprocal relationship and they are always looking at their loyalty programs and what other cruise lines do as well.

They really should make Zenith and Pinnacle reciprocal. MSC will give use reciprocal for ANY level and you do not even have to have a single previous cruise with them. Don't understand what possible objection RCI could have with a Zenith/Pinnacle match - there are so very few members in either group.

They are rewarding all their past passengers with fewer cruises and ignoring their most frequent customers of all.

They really should make Zenith and Pinnacle reciprocal. MSC will give use reciprocal for ANY level and you do not even have to have a single previous cruise with them. Don't understand what possible objection RCI could have with a Zenith/Pinnacle match - there are so very few members in either group.

They are rewarding all their past passengers with fewer cruises and ignoring their most frequent customers of all.

So I reached out to the individual that I know in the corporate offices at Celebrity and have asked why they don't reward the relationship between Zenith and Pinnacle appropriately. I will see what the answer is that I get.