Loyalty Match....Very Clever or Risky

That's exactly what MSC is doing. On one hand, I think it's a brilliant idea but on the other hand, I don't think I'd like RCI doing it. I'll admit, my dislike for RCI doing it would be for totally hypocritical reasons but hey, I'm not afraid to be honest. At the end of the day, I probably wouldn't really care.

Thanks for the additional info. I understand your point. I keep going back to when my BIL wanted to schedule a family cruise and it would have been on Carnvial. I would have used this one time thing to be on his level. I would have hated him rubbing his perks in my nose. He was the owner of an HEating and AC company and the natural gas and local electric companies were always buying him Carnival cruises.

I know I replied early, but how about a more complete response?

I'd LOVE it if RCI offered a status match! Here's why (and why they won't). Hotel and airline status challenge/status matches are good for two years at the longest; the year of the match and the following year if you meet the criteria. At this point cruise status is cumulative for life. The hotels and airlines are competing for business travelers and business accounts and if a match makes a 100K flier switch, great and hopefully he or she brings friends. Those accounts actually buy "Y" and "B" fares that normal travelers don't.

Why would I love it if RCI offered a match? It would mean they were having to actually compete for a cruise dollar and needed those high volume travelers. Which would likely translate into better fares, at least for balconies and insides! It would mean they're having to work to earn business of repeat cruisers. Right now, I'm not sure they're having to do that, and the leisure travel industry isn't as dependent on those high volume travelers. The newbies buy photos and videos and ship's excursions and all the other extras. The ships need newbies.

It sounds like MSC feels like they need frequent cruisers, which tells me they have business model issues.

That's the way I see it.

We have looked at several HAL cruises to more exotic destinations for really goooooooood deals on a pack an go site. My problem is that our bar bill after 30+ days would be more than the cruise.

If another cruise line offered a itinerary that we liked and just offered a basic drink package(alcohol) we would probably book it.

Then keep an eye on NCL. Not exactly exotic ports of call, but they are giving the Ultimate Beverage Package even with inside cabins (for the remainder of 2015). And, yes, you do have to pay the 18% gratuity on this "free" promotion.

We booked the Sept 5, 7 night, Getaway for $469 pp, inside, about a month ago (it's higher now) and got the UBP for two, valued @ $756, for free. This is a great price for 7 nights on the Getaway and better than getting a black card on the Divina (we're Ps so I assume we would get Black).

MSC does have a good deal with their beverage coupon book - 18 cocktail coupons for $99, including gratuity. That's $5.50 per drink compared to $9 to $14 on RCI, but not as good as getting all those free drinks from 5 to 8:30, if you're D, D+ or P.

Edited by Tagsalong

This thread is hilarious and depressing in one fell swoop.

- This is awful. How dare they match statuses. It's a terrible idea.... .... .... how do I sign up for it?

- Oh no, people who haven't been on as many cruises as me might be in the same part of the ship at the same time. WHAT WILL I DO? POOR PEOPLE MIGHT SEE MY FOOD.

I literally cannot roll my eyes hard enough. :rolleyes:

This thread is hilarious and depressing in one fell swoop.

- This is awful. How dare they match statuses. It's a terrible idea.... .... .... how do I sign up for it?

- Oh no, people who haven't been on as many cruises as me might be in the same part of the ship at the same time. WHAT WILL I DO? POOR PEOPLE MIGHT SEE MY FOOD.

I literally cannot roll my eyes hard enough. :rolleyes:

Human nature my friend. Take a stroll over to the MSC boards and see how they feel about it. ;)

I know I replied early, but how about a more complete response?

I'd LOVE it if RCI offered a status match! Here's why (and why they won't). Hotel and airline status challenge/status matches are good for two years at the longest; the year of the match and the following year if you meet the criteria. At this point cruise status is cumulative for life. The hotels and airlines are competing for business travelers and business accounts and if a match makes a 100K flier switch, great and hopefully he or she brings friends. Those accounts actually buy "Y" and "B" fares that normal travelers don't.

Why would I love it if RCI offered a match? It would mean they were having to actually compete for a cruise dollar and needed those high volume travelers. Which would likely translate into better fares, at least for balconies and insides! It would mean they're having to work to earn business of repeat cruisers. Right now, I'm not sure they're having to do that, and the leisure travel industry isn't as dependent on those high volume travelers. The newbies buy photos and videos and ship's excursions and all the other extras. The ships need newbies.

It sounds like MSC feels like they need frequent cruisers, which tells me they have business model issues.

That's the way I see it.

Just like the ski resorts needed snow boarders, 35 years ago I love your point.....:)

Edited by land lover

Considering many have 'paid' for a cruise and the benefits, I can see why almost anyone could get worked up over the benefits in the first place.

I guess it's all a matter of perspective. ;)

Must be a perspective thing because I have never paid for "future benefits". I paid for, and received in full, a cruise. The possibility of future benefits is just the cruise line trying to get me to buy another cruise from them. If the cruise was good to begin with (such as with Carnival), I'll spend my money with them no matter the benefits. If the cruise isn't so good (such as with NCL), I won't no matter what carrot they dangle in front of me. It's all about the cruise.

Must be a perspective thing because I have never paid for "future benefits". I paid for, and received in full, a cruise. The possibility of future benefits is just the cruise line trying to get me to buy another cruise from them. If the cruise was good to begin with (such as with Carnival), I'll spend my money with them no matter the benefits. If the cruise isn't so good (such as with NCL), I won't no matter what carrot they dangle in front of me. It's all about the cruise.

Very true. When we went on our first cruise, we went with friends who had cruised before several times, and they had obviously achieved some status on Royal and had certain perks we did not. It was before the coupon option for D's....so we could not enjoy a drink with them in the D Lounge.....did it ruin my cruise - no....did it create an incentive for me to cruise more - no. If we did not enjoy that cruise, we would never have taken another one.

We did enjoy it, and cruised more....NOT for the hope of future benefits -- but because we enjoyed it. The extra perks that came along as we continued to cruise, have been nice.

Here is the down side to the 'matching program'. If a new cruiser who gets his high end loyalty program matched for ONE cruise, as a 'try us' promotion. Then likes what he got, and then realizes that because he was getting Diamond benefits on that cruise....when he cruises again and is at a much lower status level -- they may not be so inclined to cruise on Royal again anyway -- at what may be higher prices for Royal.

To me, offering the program makes sense....for the first cruise.

While I agree you paid for a cruise, you wouldn't be entitled to benefits if you hadn't. In essence, you paid for your loyalty benefits. Whether you take advantage or not is entirely up to you but you did pay for them. We bounced around cruise lines until we settled back with Royal. It wasn't for the loyalty perks. We liked the product.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I went and checked out MSC's benefits for what I thought would equal D+, and it wasn't enough to lure me over to them for a cruise. Frankly, I haven't found a cruise line that can match RCCL and Celebrity's loyalty program.

I won't book Princess unless the itinerary and price are drop-dead fabulous, because they don't offer the perks RCCL does. However, when they had a 28 night cruise roundtrip from Los Angeles to the South Seas, I jumped at it!

HAL: same thing. Their 2-for-1 happy 2 hours is a OK, but we also booked them to get from Honolulu to Seattle for $400 less than RCCL.

So, it's got to grab me in the wallet or the itinerary to get me away from RCCL and X perks!

I went and checked out MSC's benefits for what I thought would equal D+, and it wasn't enough to lure me over to them for a cruise. ...

Peggy, do you have a link for the corresponding benefits?

Peggy, do you have a link for the corresponding benefits?

Sure, Bob:

http://www.msccruisesusa.com/us_en/MSC-Voyagers-Club/Membership-Benefits.aspx

and, the Loyalty Match info:

http://www.msccruisesusa.com/us_en/msc/loyalty-match-program.aspx

and, how to collect points:

http://www.msccruisesusa.com/us_en/MSC-Voyagers-Club/How-To-Collect-Points.aspx

Thanks Peggy.

Maybe I'm not looking in the right place, but I took a look and could not find where it mentions how what MSC level they would assign to a C&A D+ member.

Thanks Peggy.

Maybe I'm not looking in the right place, but I took a look and could not find where it mentions how what MSC level they would assign to a C&A D+ member.

They don't assign straight across; they state it will be assigned after one of their staff looks it over. I think a D+ or Pinnacle would be assigned their highest level.

They give some nice perks, and there is a 5% or more discount, which is nice. I always wonder why RCCL doesn't do that, so the discount can apply to cabins below a balcony.

So, it's got to grab me in the wallet or the itinerary to get me away from RCCL and X perks!

Agree!!! RCCL is my first choice where I am Diamond, NCL being my 2nd choice where I am currently Gold and 1 level away from their highest Platinum.

Loyalty benefits wise, I prioritize RCCL as it is way better than NCL, I only take NCL if:

The prices are much lower (NCL generally has lower prices than RCCL, plus their Epic solo cabins doesn't carry any supplement, compared to 150% supplement for RCCL for their solo cabins.), so might take NCL if sailing classic Mediterranean either from Barcelona or Rome due to Epic.

OR

The IT is better. e.g. for Alaska and Hawaii.. RCCL and Celebirity doesn't have permits to Glacier Bay National Park or any 10 day Alaska cruises but NCL has.

NCL has a port extensive all Hawaii cruise IT due to Pride of America, being a US flagged ship.

They don't assign straight across; they state it will be assigned after one of their staff looks it over. I think a D+ or Pinnacle would be assigned their highest level.

They give some nice perks, and there is a 5% or more discount, which is nice. I always wonder why RCCL doesn't do that, so the discount can apply to cabins below a balcony.

Thanks for the explanation.:)

Thanks Peggy.

I also wonder if their top tier members get the same benefits as passengers traveling in full suites. RCCL does this for their pinnacle members.

I think this is a brilliant piece of marketing. Sure, they walk a tenuous rope hoping that current cruisers won't feel like they are somehow slighted, but when you think about it, it doesn't cost anyone who is currently at some level anything if the cruise line makes this offer. I'd suspect it's only for the first time cruisers on that line, but it doesn't really say that. It seems like an interesting way to, hopefully, lure cruisers away from competition in hopes that they would enjoy that cruise so much that they continue working towards their earned loyalty rewards.

We often consider our benefits with RCI when looking at other cruises and have, on occasion, continued with RCI because of the benefits. The benefits are not the only consideration, but they are a consideration none the less.

If another cruise line gave us a chance to try them out, but keep our status for that cruise, we'd be tempted if the itinerary and ships were something we wanted to try.

If RCI offered this sort of thing I wouldn't mind. The only thing it might cost me is space in the Diamond Club if it got more crowded, but I doubt that would affect us much.

I think this is a really smart idea and I'm surprised someone hasn't done this before now.

Tom

I think this is a brilliant piece of marketing. Sure, they walk a tenuous rope hoping that current cruisers won't feel like they are somehow slighted,

That is the majority sentiment. Perhaps the majority of people wouldn't know this is going on. We are the upper 10% (cc members) as far as knowledge of cruising ;) If those passengers taking advantage of this program don't readily talk about it, perhaps most people on the ship with them won't know the difference.

I know last May when I crashed the Diamond and above welcome back party, I didn't announce I was only emerald ;) Fire extinguisher standing by

I doubt you'll see anything like that. The airline/hotel "match" programs are highly restrictive, it's not easy to just "get" the matching status.

It's not so hard to get matching status with airlines or hotels because you have to earn your status every year. If you show that you travel many nights a year, a hotel chain or airline is wiling to give you comparable status to complete a year to earn your loyalty in the future. Most Hotel and Airline points also expire after 18 months so they are ephemeral. Cruise lines on the other hand, that I am familiar with, with give you lifetime status so it's not earned the same or maintained the same.

You can take my place. I think those parties are boring. :)

Tom

I know last May when I crashed the Diamond and above welcome back party, I didn't announce I was only emerald ;) Fire extinguisher standing by

That is the majority sentiment. Perhaps the majority of people wouldn't know this is going on. We are the upper 10% (cc members) as far as knowledge of cruising ;) If those passengers taking advantage of this program don't readily talk about it, perhaps most people on the ship with them won't know the difference.

And that is the problem people talking, it is one thing to mention it to a friend, or on CC but to broadcast to your table mates who spend twice as much is simply ill-mannered. Is all I know if I get an incredible deal or a great upgrade once I am on the ship I keep my mouth shut.

Edited by land lover

Oh snap, that's why your picture was posted at the entrance to the party on my last cruise. Here I thought you were being honored but it was just for security purposes. ;):D

Oh snap, that's why your picture was posted at the entrance to the party on my last cruise. Here I thought you were being honored but it was just for security purposes. ;):D

someone like u with a sense of humor is who I want to cruise with.....

Enjoy....