Technical Problems on Statendam

Steve Q

We are at the SEA airport for our flight home. Cuisine, and service were fantastic on our cruise.

Only regret was that we didn't spend much time at the Hubbard Glacier.....I sent a note to Captain Smit, but he didn't get back to me.:(

Seward was spectacular....would love it if a ship would overnight there!

DH is thrilled about a possible dress code change. Majority of passengers looked like they cared about there appearance. I did see a lot of smokers.

Karen

Pleased that you had a good cruise and be thankful that you were able to visit Hubbard Glacier on your cruise, regardless of the time there. I personally think Hubbard beats anything one will see in Glacier Bay.

I, too, enjoyed Seward. It is difficult to truly get a sense of the community as a cruise ship guest. I drove from Anchorage to Seward once, sightseeing along the way and back to Anchorage, and that gave me time to explore the town. More there than one might first think.

I am back in Roselle, IL My plane was about an hour late taking off and about 30 minutes late in landing and then we had to wait 25 minutes until a gate opened. I didn't get home until 11:30 PM. The flight was very rough between Seattle and Eastern Montana. The cruise was wonderful., even with the " technical Issue."

I am back in Roselle, IL My plane was about an hour late taking off and about 30 minutes late in landing and then we had to wait 25 minutes until a gate opened. I didn't get home until 11:30 PM. The flight was very rough between Seattle and Eastern Montana. The cruise was wonderful., even with the " technical Issue."

Welcome Home, Himself! Glad that you enjoyed the Statendam and most certainly appreciated your updates during the cruise.

Most of us, I am sure, have endured those "sitting on the tarmac moments", awaiting a gate to open; I missed a connecting flight once because of that.

We are anchored at our last stop in Alaska and have had a nice day in Sitka. The program said chance of rain and it should have said a chance of sunshine. I had to walk on the shady side of Lincoln Avenue. Went to the drug store on Lincoln and had a chocolate soda--the old fashioned kind. They still have a soda fountain. All and all it has been a wonderful cruise even with the technical issue. Paul Pappas--the piano player--was supposed to get on in Anchorage and since there is no plane to Seward he flew to Homer and got on there. He did an outstanding job in the performance last night.

What a small world! I was downtown in Anchorage the day you guys were supposed to be here, and I happened to hear a man in a shop trying to make flight arrangements to join your ship in Seward. He then switched to Homer. Must have been the pianist, and glad he made it!

We are at the SEA airport for our flight home. Cuisine, and service were fantastic on our cruise.

Only regret was that we didn't spend much time at the Hubbard Glacier.....I sent a note to Captain Smit, but he didn't get back to me.:(

Seward was spectacular....would love it if a ship would overnight there!

DH is thrilled about a possible dress code change. Majority of passengers looked like they cared about there appearance. I did see a lot of smokers.

Karen

What is the change? We are in Ketchikan today. Nice and cool. It rained a little in the AM. Took the free Walmart bus for a few supplies.

What a small world! I was downtown in Anchorage the day you guys were supposed to be here, and I happened to hear a man in a shop trying to make flight arrangements to join your ship in Seward. He then switched to Homer. Must have been the pianist, and glad he made it!

I am sure it was Paul Pappas. He flew to Homer and was at a hotel in Homer. Then he joined the ship. He is quite a piano player and is a nice man.

Just an update as we disembarked the Statendam in Seattle on Monday. Another dive team inspected the ship in Homer. We were never really updated on what exactly was the problem. However, when we were in Tracy Arm at the Sawyer Glacier we noticed the infamous "sheen" in the water. There were a lot of boats/ships out there, though. So we missed Icy Straight, Glacier Bay and Anchorage but were given what we thought to be generous compensation. We rented a car in Seward, did downtown and the Marine Life Center, had lunch on the Marina, drove out to Moose Pass, stopped at a small salmon hatchery/fish ladder on Bear Creek and hiked out to the edge of Exit Glacier (awesome) and made a stop at Safeway. (Deals on Tshirts) A great day!!

So now ask me about the Jacuzzi tub in our room exploding with me in it.....!!!! :eek:

Just an update as we disembarked the Statendam in Seattle on Monday. Another dive team inspected the ship in Homer. We were never really updated on what exactly was the problem. However, when we were in Tracy Arm at the Sawyer Glacier we noticed the infamous "sheen" in the water. There were a lot of boats/ships out there, though. So we missed Icy Straight, Glacier Bay and Anchorage but were given what we thought to be generous compensation. We rented a car in Seward, did downtown and the Marine Life Center, had lunch on the Marina, drove out to Moose Pass, stopped at a small salmon hatchery/fish ladder on Bear Creek and hiked out to the edge of Exit Glacier (awesome) and made a stop at Safeway. (Deals on Tshirts) A great day!!

So now ask me about the Jacuzzi tub in our room exploding with me in it.....!!!! :eek:

Hi Karen! Your Seward adventures sound wonderful...we went to Anchorage to meet friends. I mentioned on roll call all the plumbing problems with our Vista Suite last November on the Statendam:eek: They also could never get my Jacuzzi to work. Hope the explosion wasn't too traumatic. HAL gave us $1000 future cruise credit for our problems, which we used on this cruise. Funny, we booked an HH and the bathroom had no problems!:D

Karen

I'm working on the composition of a letter to the HAL Head Office. I'd be happy with FCC. We were also without water prior to this incident on 3 occasions. Like for hours at a time. One outage of 3 hrs was announced but the 2 others weren't. It's kinda bad when you go to the Front Office and everyone knows you.

I'm working on the composition of a letter to the HAL Head Office. I'd be happy with FCC. We were also without water prior to this incident on 3 occasions. Like for hours at a time. One outage of 3 hrs was announced but the 2 others weren't. It's kinda bad when you go to the Front Office and everyone knows you.

".....you go to the Front Office and everyone knows....." your name.

Sounds like Cheers!:D

That doesn't sound good.

Jacuzzi tub exploded!! Do tell us what happened.

Thanks for your update.

How horrible, an exploding Jacuzzi tub, were you told the cause of that?

Were you injured?

I was in the tub with the jacuzzi jets running. There was a loud BAM and the water immediately drained out of the tub to jet level. I think I was in shock. Didn't know what to touch or not touch, there was water all over the floor with unidentifiable stuff floating in it and my husband was on the balcony. He finally heard me and I was able to get out to the hallway carpet and we damned the doorway so water wouldn't get out. The front office, plumber and steward all came. Come to find out the next day, the hose had broken off the jacuzzi motor. The water also seeped down the wall and pooled at the balcony door and into the neighboring room as well. Days of drying machines, sucking machines and they cleaned the carpet when we disembarked. They gave us $150 and a bottle of wine.

We had a little problem with the plumbing also. They tore out a wall to fix it.

The next day they tore out another wall to correct toilet flow problem.

I must admit that they were very nice about all of these and we did get an OBC to compensate us.

It is obvious that the Statendam is showing her age but the cruise was still WONDERFUL...

shower_zpsuon4un25.jpg

I was in the tub with the jacuzzi jets running. There was a loud BAM and the water immediately drained out of the tub to jet level. I think I was in shock. Didn't know what to touch or not touch, there was water all over the floor with unidentifiable stuff floating in it and my husband was on the balcony. He finally heard me and I was able to get out to the hallway carpet and we damned the doorway so water wouldn't get out. The front office, plumber and steward all came. Come to find out the next day, the hose had broken off the jacuzzi motor. The water also seeped down the wall and pooled at the balcony door and into the neighboring room as well. Days of drying machines, sucking machines and they cleaned the carpet when we disembarked. They gave us $150 and a bottle of wine.

Oh, Yuck!

Accidents happen but I would be somewhat miffed with a mere $150 and a bottle.

Those drying machines and dehumidifiers are the worst! A cabin 2 doors down had that situation for 4 days. The noise was bad enough for us!

Loved your description of your day in Seward. We love Exit Glacier. Glad you got there!!

Ewwww, just EWWWWW :( I'm sorry you had that experience. As SilvertoGold says, those machines are AWFUL, too.

I must admit that they were very nice about all of these and we did get an OBC to compensate us.

It is obvious that the Statendam is showing her age but the cruise was still WONDERFUL...

shower_zpsuon4un25.jpg

That's a great photo. The caption should be: "Let's see..... I can't remember if the raw sewage is it the white pipe or the green pipe... Hmm.. which one do I cut????

shower_zpsuon4un25.jpg

I agree the cruise was wonderful but I think it is time for the Statendam--this version--to go over to another line.

Karen,

Do write to Guest Relations! When our toilet would not turn off and the stateroom flooded during the night and we had to have the fan for several days they gave us a Pinnacle Grill and a bottle of wine. When the entire flush mechanism fell off the wall, revealing it was stuffed with paper as a way to hold it together, they gave us $ 100 credit. At other times we had no water at all. The front desk was slow to respond. When I wrote to HAL they gave us $1000 future credit. I agree with Himself, it's time for the Statendam to be turned over to P&O. She is a beautiful ship (love the Van Gogh tiles in the showroom) but needs work!

Karen

Oh my gosh -- what a horrible experience.

Glad you weren't hurt.

shower_zpsuon4un25.jpg

Great picture.

It certainly does sound like the Statendam is showing her age.

Plumbing issues do occur more often on older ships yet I cruise almost exclusively on HAL's older ships and have only been inconvenienced significantly once by such a problem. I'd bet that the majority of toilet problems are caused by folks who don't read and use toilets and waste disposal units.

We did not experience any problems in our cabin during this sailing. We were in an Oceanview on the Lower Promenade Deck. A nearby neighbor, however, did tell us that he had flooding problems in the bathroom.

While we do love the older ships, it seems difficult to oppose HAL's decision to modernize the fleet. We were only steps from the Atrium. Most modern ships use the Atrium for many of the ship's entertainment and also contain bars and restaurants. There was literally nothing in the Atrium, of any note, on the Statendam. We are very happy to have sailed on her, but it probably was a good decision by HAL to move on.

Just a note about the entertainment----the shows in the main theatre were much better than on most cruises we have taken. Both Paul Pappas and Billy Garan were very good. The best two shows, however, were singer, Tricia Kelly, and comedian, Jim McCue. They were outstanding. Jim McCue also is in charge of the month long Boston comedy festival in March.

Lastly, the theatre production, Encore--An Evening at the Symphony, was wonderful. Cast members, Loryn Cura and Andrew Diessner, were terrific. We rarely like the Cast shows, but this was certainly an unexpected surprise. The other cast member and the cruise director even sat in the audience to view the performance.

Sent from my iPad