My cruise was cancelled!

See...what did I predict?.....you got "screwed". RCL makes more money on a charter......you got thrown aside.......now you rebook and have to pay much more for the same cruise......and everything on board will cost more.....and guess what?.....RCL can go ahead and cancel THAT cruise in 1 1/2 years you have your heart set on now......The cruise line industry has one goal is to soak as much money out of it's passengers and will do "what ever it takes" to do so......much like the airlines extort money the only difference with the cruise line so many passengers are "fat, drunk and stupid" (thanks Animal House) and don't recognize the facts. Now raise those Pom-poms and cheer, cheer, cheer that wonderful cruise line.

How is it a screw job? OP is going on the same cruise, just three months later. She didn't say that she's paying more, and I doubt that things will cost that much more onboard three months after her original cruise.

Now, I don't like the way RCI handles cancelled cruises, either, but I think you're engaging in excessive hyperbole. All businesses that aren't nonprofits seek to maximize their revenue, and most will at some point do something that their customers don't like. But their response will be that they owe more of a duty to their shareholders.

Your posts make me wonder why you're here. I can understand disliking the cruise lines' policies...you sound like you detest the entire industry, yet you're spending your time on a cruise board.:confused:

Trolls gotta troll, that's why.

Edited by sr4mjc

Perhaps we could give better advice if the OP would actually post the email or letter that she received from Royal so we can comment on the facts as opposed to speculate on what she should or should not have done?

OP can you give us ALL the specifics including the letter your received?

Perhaps we could give better advice if the OP would actually post the email or letter that she received from Royal so we can comment on the facts as opposed to speculate on what she should or should not have done?

OP can you give us ALL the specifics including the letter your received?

The OP already posted all the dates they were offered and has already rebooked her cruise to a 14 day cruise that is the same as the original cruise.

Case closed.

So has anyone researched and located the organization that chartered your cruise and asked RCCL or any other cruise line to switch you to the chartered cruise? I'm sure the fare might have been more but I was just wondering if anyone has inquired about this. And if it was a success to get switched to the chartered cruise?

So has anyone researched and located the organization that chartered your cruise and asked RCCL or any other cruise line to switch you to the chartered cruise? I'm sure the fare might have been more but I was just wondering if anyone has inquired about this. And if it was a success to get switched to the chartered cruise?

Hadn't looked but just did, prices are high, starting at $2564 for an inside. It is Cruise N Groove featuring John Farnham.

Hello all,

I got an email today saying that my cruise I have paid a deposit on, has been chartered.

Here is the full story;

My Fiance & I saw the RCI had a great deal on, where you get a double upgrade & on-board credit.... So, we officially booked the cruise with a $400 deposit 3 weeks ago.

Today, I get an email saying the cruise has been chartered, and "here are 6 other sailing dates we can offer you, + we will give you an additional $200 on board credit!"

Sounds great right?!....... Wrong!

I called up, assuming the dates we were given to sail were for the same length of sailing, to and from round trip.

I booked a new date, everything was great until.....

I logged onto the RCI website to see that "my cruise" information was correct/updated on the system..... It said, it was a 10 night christmas cruise.

Sounds fun, however, I booked a 14 NIGHT CRUISE, ROUND TRIP.

This new cruise wasn't even a round trip, nor were the other sailing dates offered a round trip.

This isn't very fair, at all.

I put money down for a 14 night cruise, I expect a 14 night cruise.... Not 10 or 11 nights, where I have to then buy 2 airfares from a different country!

It does say they can book us on any other RCI cruise, however, for the "PREVAILING RATE".

What does that mean?.... Does it mean for the current price the room is selling for? or the price we additionally had paid for and was technically a written contract?

We had a balcony room for the price of a standard interior room because we booked during a double upgrade sale, 14 nights from Sydney to NZ, then back to Sydney as a round trip.... I've paid my deposit, I shouldn't expect any less than what I booked!

Ok, so here is the thing while many of us would go about this process differently There are two things that seem to be true here.

1. The OP did not ask for our help. she asked what "prevailing rate" meant, and then went on to answer her own question in the next sentence.

2. In an effort to help and better understand many of us asked for more information, including myself asking her to post the letter she received from Royal. Now.. instead of posting the letter, she just re-typed a portion of it, which, without the rest of the letter for context, is not really much help.So OP if you have any actual questions we could answer for you, please let us know... :)

Your posts make me wonder why you're here. I can understand disliking the cruise lines' policies...you sound like you detest the entire industry, yet you're spending your time on a cruise board.:confused:

I buy a ticket to a ball game never had my seat given away to a charter......a ticket to the movies and never a charter.....an all inclusive resort and never a charter....even an airline seat and never a charter.....I DETEST how the cruise industry enters into a contract but then it is not a contract because they can cancel without penalty but on your end your payment is forfeited when you canceled. They, the industry, do it constantly and without any penalty. I guess the industry has so many zombies who will rebook like crack addicts that it does not faze their marketing. Charters should be available BEFORE the public is allowed to book IMO. Otherwise They should have some intestinal fortitude and abide by their schedule. Face it they just have little respect for their clients.

I buy a ticket to a ball game never had my seat given away to a charter......a ticket to the movies and never a charter.....an all inclusive resort and never a charter....even an airline seat and never a charter.....I DETEST how the cruise industry enters into a contract but then it is not a contract because they can cancel without penalty but on your end your payment is forfeited when you canceled. They, the industry, do it constantly and without any penalty. I guess the industry has so many zombies who will rebook like crack addicts that it does not faze their marketing. Charters should be available BEFORE the public is allowed to book IMO. Otherwise They should have some intestinal fortitude and abide by their schedule. Face it they just have little respect for their clients.

When you buy an airline ticket, you also enter into a contract and they cancel flights all the time. They offer to rebook you, just like the cruise line does, and the times aren't always what you want. We booked our flights for our upcoming cruise as soon as the flights were released. We have had two of of three flights cancelled without notice. We were rebooked onto unacceptable flights and have had to spend considerable time getting things fixed.

When you buy an airline ticket, you also enter into a contract and they cancel flights all the time. They offer to rebook you, just like the cruise line does, and the times aren't always what you want. We booked our flights for our upcoming cruise as soon as the flights were released. We have had two of of three flights cancelled without notice. We were rebooked onto unacceptable flights and have had to spend considerable time getting things fixed.

....for mechanical problems or weather or personal but never for a charter where the airlines can make more money on that particular plane and throws all the booked passengers off.

....for mechanical problems or weather or personal but never for a charter where the airlines can make more money on that particular plane and throws all the booked passengers off.

No, not for a charter but our flights are a month away and were cancelled almost nine months after they were booked so they could consolidate flights and save money.

No, not for a charter but our flights are a month away and were cancelled almost nine months after they were booked so they could consolidate flights and save money.

I hope it works out for you. I still think RCL is despicable the way it handles charters and how they disrespect the customers who they throw off. Everyone hates the airlines so no loss there.:D

I agree...it's ridiculous and totally unfair. If they are selling something (and this is someone's vacation where they get exciting and plan, not to mention booking flights, hotels, time off work, etc), how can they change their mind afterwards and say 'sorry....we've changed our minds and you cannot book on this one". It just doesn't make sense. These 'charters' (whatever that means) should have to book on new cruises where they can book as many cabins as they need. Totally unfair.

From the perspective of RCI, if the OP found a better deal on another cruise line she could cancel her RCI cruise and get a full refund (at least until final payment is due 75 days from departure). So if RCI gets a better deal in the form of a charter, shouldn't they cancel the OP's ticket? And how many of us would cancel and rebook at a lower price on the same cruise? What's good for the goose is good for the gander? Just a thought, not something I advocate.

Edited by 2CatsInFlorida

I ended up just taking a cruise in 2017.... Unfortunately it means I'll have to wait 1.5 years before I get on the damn ship lol they didn't really give me much to choose from and didn't seem to give a crap if they made more money out of me. I've spoken to a travel agent about other cruises going in 2016, but by the looks of things, I'll have to end up paying more money & won't get the incentives I originally had, which is unfortunate. Oh well, 1.5 years will have to do :(

Which cruise did you end up on? We are cruising to NZ from Sydney on March 14th 2017. It has a great itinerary :) We are really looking forward to it.

I agree with you, it is awful that they cancelled your cruise, and I can completely understand that you thought you were being offered 'like for like'.

I also think that some of the posts on here were rude... she hasn't cruised before, she didn't think to ask if they were the same or not... who cares - she made a mistake. Some people have to plan way in advance to take leave from jobs etc... I am a midwife and I can't just take leave at Christmas - because while a majority of the world are enjoying it with family, usually we are working - I worked Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, Boxing Day, New Years Eve and New Years Day the year just gone. I have booked March 2017 in the hope that my leave will be approved, it is outside busy times and school holidays but still no guarantee. So, if my cruise gets charted I will be upset too as it is difficult to organise that time off.

Why can't people just say - Oh sorry to hear that, could you try X, Y, Z... instead of making unhelpful comments. Be nice and share your experiences and years of cruising wisdom instead of being condescending and rude.

Anyway - the 18 months will fly by and at least you feel you got a cruise that matches the one that was cancelled on you.

I ended up taking 6th January 2017. I hope you enjoy your cruise also :)

Great - will be nice and warm for you in NZ! I am sure we will enjoy our cruise, we have a group of 10 going on it for my birthday... if they don't charter it :p

From the perspective of RCI, if the OP found a better deal on another cruise line she could cancel her RCI cruise and get a full refund (at least until final payment is due 75 days from departure). So if RCI gets a better deal in the form of a charter, shouldn't they cancel the OP's ticket? And how many of us would cancel and rebook at a lower price on the same cruise? What's good for the goose is good for the gander? Just a thought, not something I advocate.

Interesting how that works isn't it ?

We expect to be able to back out up to final payment date, re-book when prices go down and recoup the savings, have the cruise companies assume all of the risk, and then have a good little moan when they enforce the terms of the contract we agreed to.

I spoke to RCI over the phone & asked them the details for each cruise, then made a decision from there.

I'm going to assume you suggested 6th Jan?

If so, thanks for looking out....

However, I didn't see most of the replies on here.

I spoke to RCI over the phone & asked them the details for each cruise, then made a decision from there.

I'm going to assume you suggested 6th Jan?

If so, thanks for looking out....

However, I didn't see most of the replies on here.

I'm glad you found something, but it's too bad you didn't take the time to read all the replies.:( There were several good suggestions offered. On Cruise Critic there are always going to be people who snip at you, but there are many more people who will be helpful. Not reading the replies makes it appear you just wanted to complain, but didn't really want people to try to help.

Edited by Cindy