Apple Store

willow949

True, if you buy the Apple Travel Adapter it will come with the different international plugs.

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MD837AM/A/apple-world-travel-adapter-kit

You can purchase one of those Apple kits for $29 or just the UK plug adapter from a Chinese webshop for a few bucks and click it on your charger.

Random Googled pic of 3rd party iPad charger and adapters:

13632467432.jpg

Edited by FreestyleNovice

Just a quick note. If you buy an Apple product on board they will give you free Internet minutes as a bonus.

I guess the idea is that it will enable you to update all your apps etc. while on board to some extent. Probably best to do it for sure during your port stops but I always found it was a big help. The free Internet minutes help and they still give them as of last trip we took.

Edited by A Sixth?

Because I believe that the charger sold with an iPad onboard will be USA -centric, and will be designed for use at 120V , rather than using our 230V/50Hz system, and will have a US plug it.

Further, any apps pre-loaded onto the iPad will be designed to work with US-based services?

We bought an iPad on board two years ago. We had a lot of OBC and planned to use it to buy an iPad, so we did our research before sailing and knew exactly what we wanted and the UK prices. It did come with the US charger, but we bought a UK power adapter for iPad at Dixons at Gatwick. I can't remember the exact cost, but it was less than a tenner. It just clicks on the cable in place of the US charger.

We were very happy with the service on board the ship. The IT guy loaded the apps he thought we might find useful and gave us a quick run-through on the iPad, as we had not used one before. We also attended a couple of the classes, which we found very informative and the staff in the iLounge were always on hand if we needed any further advice. Two years on, we feel we got a great deal, have had no issues and can't imagine how we every managed without it!

As others have said, the biggest problem is you do not know what stock they have until you get on board.

Same is true for the camera shop, handbags, perfume......

If I was looking at upgrading, but still bringing my present iPad on board. Great, no problem if stock is not there, I can shop around the islands or wait until I get home. Getting on board wanting to buy a specific iPad to use during the cruise is a gamble. One fellow cruiser on our Summit cruise last year got severe earache from his wife after persuading her to wait until they got on the cruise to buy....

Does anybody know the current prices for iphones and I-pads ? We'll be on board "Summit" in a few weeks and we also have lots of OBC to burn through.

Thank you for your help. It would be great to know approximate prices beforehand so I can compare.

Does anybody know the current prices for iphones and I-pads ? We'll be on board "Summit" in a few weeks and we also have lots of OBC to burn through.

Thank you for your help. It would be great to know approximate prices beforehand so I can compare.

They dont sell iphones onboard.

They do not cell iPhones nor any cellular iPads. Just wifi iPads.

Prices will be the same, or approximately the same, as the USA Suggested list price.

In addition to the answers given about not selling iPhones or cellular iPads and that the prices is the same as on Apples website, you should be aware that a refresh of the iPad line is likely in September or October. October is the traditional time and some predict it may be September this year. So what you buy in a few weeks has the possibility of being last years model a few weeks after you buy it since you are going on Summit in a few weeks.

• 1 month later...
Just a quick note. If you buy an Apple product on board they will give you free Internet minutes as a bonus.

No longer. I asked especially and was told NO.

I bought the latest version of the iPad mini.$599, I had carefully converted before buying.

I bought on the first day, in case they ran out.

They are 'Tax free,' BUT your ''free" allowance to bring back into UK is £390.

I had read on these boards that it is £400, it isn't, according to the Customs information provided by Celebrity on our last day.

I was afraid that I would have to pay duty, depending on the conversion rate on the day that we disembarked.

I needn't have worried, I didn't see any Customs officers when we arrived back in Southampton.

No phones are sold on board.

Edited by upwarduk

No longer. I asked especially and was told NO.

I bought the latest version of the iPad mini.$599, I had carefully converted before buying.

I bought on the first day, in case they ran out.

They are 'Tax free,' BUT your ''free" allowance to bring back into UK is £390.

I had read on these boards that it is £400, it isn't, according to the Customs information provided by Celebrity on our last day.

I was afraid that I would have to pay duty, depending on the conversion rate on the day that we disembarked.

I needn't have worried, I didn't see any Customs officers when we arrived back in Southampton.

No phones are sold on board.

Best way is to unbox your items before you pack, dispose packing material and manuals. Scan and email the receipt to yourself or snail mail it home if you want to keep the original. Or tuck it somewhere deep in your luggage or keep it folded mid in a random book or magazine. And hope for the best when you're walking out..

Edited by FreestyleNovice

Best way is to unbox your items before you pack, dispose packing material and manuals. Scan and email the receipt to yourself or snail mail it home if you want to keep the original. Or tuck it somewhere deep in your luggage or keep it folded mid in a random book or magazine. And hope for the best when you're walking out..

The ships stores report items sold onboard that are over the allowance to customs. A friend of mine discovered that when the bell rang on her card when she debarked with an expensive watch she bought at one of the ships shops. Customs was unhappy that she had not declared it.....

Edited by Charles4515

A waste of time, as all they need to do is to look at the unique code on the iPad and they know where it was purchased. I did however carry my newly purchased iPad in my hand luggage, I didn't fancy it being thrown around and damaged in my case.

Hi, given they have not updated the iPad air 2 this year I'm looking to purchase on the eclipse in November. Has anyone been onboard lately that can give an indication on stock levels.

While they haven't announced a new iPad, I don't see them not releasing a new one with the new processor shortly, possible when the iPad pro gets released. I was caught out some years ago (2012 I think) when the did an unexpected new model just after we bought a number of them. Saying that the air 2 is a good piece. Feels so much lighter than the air.

What is the custom allowance for the U.S?

I was thinking of buying the new iPad Pro. Cannot remember when it is coming out. Probably not before my cruise at the end of next month, however.

It won't be available by then. Early November. The allowance is $800. But that does not mean there is duty on items over the allowance. It depends on the item and where it is made. There might not be duty on an iPad since that may have already been paid when it was imported to the US by Apple. My experience has been that customs has usually found a way not to charge duty on declared items when returning from leisure travel unless it is a very expensive item. Like my friends $5000 TAG that she bought onboard that she did not declare. I have another friend who declared a $3000 watch and the customs agent found a way to charge him no duty. Apparently there is some subjectivity involved. They might not have charged duty for the TAG if she had declared it.

Edited by Charles4515

OK, thanks. We will be returning on November 1st. I can look into it when we return to Celebrity next May. The new iPad with accessories will price around $1000. Then on the other hand, I may wait until the iPad Pro 2 comes out with the fixes that the 1st Generation Pro needed. :D But I do love the concept on the Pro! :)

... The allowance is $800. But that does not mean there is duty on items over the allowance...

... friends $5000 TAG that she bought onboard that she did not declare....

It is a bad mistake not to list and declare items bought on board. CBP requires the ship to provide them with a list of all larger ticket purchases. They'll have a checklist of the passengers who purchased those to make sure they declare the items to customs so you will get caught if you don't declare the items bought on the ship.

It is a bad mistake not to list and declare items bought on board. CBP requires the ship to provide them with a list of all larger ticket purchases. They'll have a checklist of the passengers who purchased those to make sure they declare the items to customs so you will get caught if you don't declare the items bought on the ship.

It is a mistake. She thought because they told her in the onboard shop that it was duty free and lied to her that there would not be any taxes that she did not have to declare it. She didn't understand duty free (many people don't) and the sales person was only interested in making the sale. And of course they don't mention that they provide customs with a list.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Charles4515