HAL no longer requires formal dress

Jade13

I guess one has to wonder, will itineraries past nov 2016 be posted first or will the new dress code:D;).

I used to like formal nights and would always dress for them. I'm not likely to do that anymore. The "gala" dinners are the worst menus of the cruise.

Thanks for putting a smile on my face. Hope things are improving for you and yours.

I ran a comparison of the old and new versions of KBYG.pdf from the HAL site, and the language regarding Formal Nights has definitely changed and certainly supports the OP's contention. So, I apologize if I came across as snarky. There have been "no more dress code" threads before, and I've seen people turned away from the MDR for not following the dress code on formal nights. Did they read about the lack of a dress code on CC? Did they simply fail to read their cruise docs? I don't know. Either way, I would have felt terrible telling someone information that denied them entrance to the MDR on formal nights.

That said, the new language in the Know Before You Go clearly outlines the requirements for the nights formerly known as Formal, now called Gala Nights:

Gala Nights evoke the grand traditions of cruising as guests dress to impress for special events on board, including a five course gourmet dinner in the Dining Room. For gentlemen, jacket and tie are appropriate,
collared shirt and slacks are required in all restaurants except those on Lido Deck which permit jeans, shorts and T-shirts.
(Emphasis mine.)

Holland America - We'd appreciate it if you wore long pants. :D

I understand the skepticism and your diligence for wanting to provide accurate information.

For weeks HAL's literature says a jacket or tie isn't required. Glad to see people reporting it now. I got yelled down by stating it was eliminated despite posting the guidelines.

All I can say is, thank baby Jesus! If you want to dress for a, by all means go ahead. For those that don't, by all means go ahead! Pepe need to stop caring about others' loos so much and live their own life, hopefully this helps that process.

It is amazing to me how this topic evokes such strong opinions and feelings. On 8 cruises with NCL, their "dress up or not" nights saw many people in gowns and tuxes, others dressed smart casual, but not once did I ever encounter a guest in the MDR in a bathrobe.....please.:rolleyes:

Nope, never have. How will I be surprised?

People dress nicely on NCL. Oceania,mCrystal, Regent, etc. and none require a jacket or tie.

Just because that's not require doesn't mean flip flops and bathing suits are worn. That fear is completely unfounded and IMO crying wolf.

All I can say is, thank baby Jesus! If you want to dress for a, by all means go ahead. For those that don't, by all means go ahead! Pepe need to stop caring about others' loos so much and live their own life, hopefully this helps that process.

ROFL...I know we are not supposed to point out typos, but yours is really hilarious. :D I will make an effort to stop caring about others' loos. Really, I will. ;)

HAHAHA! Sorry, didn't proofread that while typing on the phone. :)

Should read: people need to stop caring about others' looks so much.

It's much better without the K. Dress code police meet the potty patrol.

People dress nicely on NCL. Oceania,mCrystal, Regent, etc. and none require a jacket or tie.

Just because that's not require doesn't mean flip flops and bathing suits are worn. That fear is completely unfounded and IMO crying wolf.

Sometimes I wish we had the 'LIKE" Button on CC

In all honesty I seen far more people dressed up and dressed very nicely on my last several NCL cruises than I did on our May HAL cruise a few months ago.

I can't wait to be sitting at a table in my tux with someone at the opposite end of this :rolleyes:

And??? What do you think will happen???

I would suspect nothing, unless you get up and move. Have you not seen tables of folks in wildly divergent outfits in you home city or even a cruise ship?

Assuming what we read about the "new" guidelines - I would suspect that a person dressed at the "opposite end" (or his wife) might comment on how nice you look and then go on with dinner. IMHO MOST men look great in a nice Tux - but not all.

I thought about the HAL board of Cruise Critic and discussions on jeans in the MDR recently when I received an online brochure for new Nordstrom clothing for women and there were two styles of designer "distressed" women's jeans (read that threadbare with holes and string covered holes) costing just under $300 a pair. Went to COSTCO, hole free jeans - $25.. For mainlining room - COSTCO $25 jeans OK, Nordstrom's Almost $300 jeans not.

Edited by wander

In all honesty I seen far more people dressed up and dressed very nicely on my last several NCL cruises than I did on our May HAL cruise a few months ago.

Truth be told, much of the formal wear worn on ships is hideous. Just because it's a tux or ball gown doesn't mean it looks good. ;)

I thought about the HAL board of Cruise Critic and discussions on jeans in the MDR recently when I received an online brochure for new Nordstrom clothing for women and there were two styles of designer "distressed" women's jeans (read that threadbare with holes and string covered holes) costing just under $300 a pair. Went to COSTCO, hole free jeans - $25.. For mainlining room - COSTCO $25 jeans OK, Nordstrom's Almost $300 jeans not.

First let me say I have no horse in this race. I'm not sorry to see 'Formal' night relaxed, but by the same token, I'd like to think people will dress appropriately for the new guidelines.

That said, just because something is stupid expensive does not make it dressy. I could go out and buy an $11,000 pair of Air Jordans from Nike -- but that doesn't make them a suitable accompaniment to a formal gown or tux. ;)

http://www.sneakerfreaker.com/articles/10-of-the-most-stupidly-expensive-sneakers-ever/air-jordan-11-black-out/

Edited by cruisemom42

'Tis a shame, but now perhaps the dress wars will end. We will still be packing DH's dark suit and my usual clothing for formal night. As long as I feel right, all is well with my world.;)

I relayed to DH the gist of this thread, as we're on the P-dam in mid-Sept. He gleefully said, "OK, that's it--I'm bringing a dark suit and a couple of ties instead of the tux!" I do like seeing him in formal dress but won't engage in debate.

I will, however, downshift my outfit accordingly. Flats, not fancy heels (I did wear REAL ballet slippers to my HS prom--many decades ago--so not a stretch). Heck, it won't officially be fall until our second formal night; maybe I'll even bring a nice linen dress! ;-)

PS--Loved the loo remarks! Gave me a much-needed belly laugh.

Edited by sofietucker

Well I'll be one who misses the formal nights on HAL, as I have a lot of formal wear..But understand that it was time for a change..

Still going to take one or two long plain skirts & pair them with less glitzy tops... Will leave the chiffon's home..:(

DH will probably wear a tie when we go to the Pinnacle & I might wear a top that is a little bit dressy but with less glitter... He always takes a jacket as he tends to get cold & often wears one even for smart casual..

He'll probably be happy that he doesn't have to take dress shoes & Tux though, & can get away with slacks & jacket with just loafers or his boat shoes..

Edited by serendipity1499

For weeks HAL's literature says a jacket or tie isn't required. Glad to see people reporting it now. I got yelled down by stating it was eliminated despite posting the guidelines.

I finally just got "Pepe" (LePew)!! Hee. Good job! Frankly since childhood I haven't figured out why he has a French last name, French accent, etc., but a Spanish first name... Truly Looney.

People tend to be in a different income bracket on the aforementioned Oceania, Crystal and Regent and as such have been exposed to a broader range of experiences. Therefore their casual clothing still looks appropriate. NCL is not in that group as it a mainstream cruiseline. I have been on Carnival on a formal night where there were gentlemen in overalls seated by my husband in a suit and tie. Suffice it to say it was 10 years before we tried carnival again. I will miss seeing my husband and all the other gentlemen in tuxedos...

Well I'll be one who misses the formal nights on HAL, as I have a lot of formal wear..But understand that it was time for a change..

Still going to take one or two long plain skirts & pair them with less glitzy tops... Will leave the chiffon's home..:(

DH will probably wear a tie when we go to the Pinnacle & I might wear a top that is a little bit dressy but with less glitter... He always takes a jacket as he tends to get cold & often wears one even for smart casual..

He'll probably be happy that he doesn't have to take dress shoes & Tux though, & can get away with slacks & jacket with just loafers or his boat shoes..

I know what you mean about the formal dresses! I'd actually just gotten one on sale specifically for this upcoming cruise--but I'll be mismatched if DH doesn't bring the tux.

He usually wears a jacket for smart casual too. Hope this all doesn't result in him deciding to not even do that. :-/

I was wondering if I could wear a really nice T shirt and shorts to,the MDR? What is so special about a collared shirt?

I hate to check any bags and even a collared shirt and long pants is hard to get into a single carry on. Since they no longer require a jacket or tie, what is the logic for requiring a collar shirt/long pants?

Why should my wearing shorts and a Nice T shirt bother anyone now?

I was wondering if I could wear a really nice T shirt and shorts to,the MDR? What is so special about a collared shirt?

I hate to check any bags and even a collared shirt and long pants is hard to get into a single carry on. Since they no longer require a jacket or tie, what is the logic for requiring a collar shirt/long pants?

Why should my wearing shorts and a Nice T shirt bother anyone now?

There is no such thing as a nice t-shirt. There are nice dress shorts when worn with a dressy shirt and dress shoes that might pass muster. What you are describing doesn't seem to fit the bill of nice. Lido is great for casual or you can pay 25 and check a bag and have appropriate clothes for the MDR. This is exactly the slippery slope everyone is worried about. It you are wearing a t-shirt, why cant I just wear a"really nice tank top and board shorts"? LOL

Edited by tinkr2

There is no such thing as a nice t-shirt. There are nice dress shorts when worn with a dressy shirt and dress shoes that might pass muster. What you are describing doesn't seem to fit the bill of nice. Lido is great for casual or you can pay 25 and check a bag and have appropriate clothes for the MDR. This is exactly the slippery slope everyone is worried about. It you are wearing a t-shirt, why cant I just wear a"really nice tank top and board shorts"? LOL

We are on the slippery slope..... the race to the bottom continues. I have always advocated formal night and will continue to bring my tux, but my post above will soon start to pop up soon enough...

The proponents of the new casual can't articulate any rational for drawing the line anywhere ......I hate a tux, but a jacket is ok, I hate a jacket, but a collared shirt is ok, I hate a collared shirt, but a t-shirt is ok, I hate a t shirt, swim trunks are are all you need.

I am checking out Cunard for my next cruise. They are arguing on their board as to the appropriateness of removing your jacket while dancing AFTER dinner on formal night.

If anyone argued against a jacket and tie - how can anyone argue FOR a collared shirt?

Edited by Pete and Judy

There were certainly some people on our last cruise who should not have been wearing sparkly chiffon, satin, tulle and brocade etc. Cannot understand how they thought they looked good.

Unfortunately it is not $25 if overweight for us. It is $108 per Kg. When you have several flights that adds up.