HAL no longer requires formal dress

Jade13

Cruise ships are becoming floating hotels (Oasis of the Seas) And just like a hotel, everyone does their own thing. Some of the newer ships have abandoned the MDR all together and have nothing but restaurants.

In a way they are trying to become a floating imitation of a Las Vegas Resort....I guess whatever it takes to sell cabins.....

I went on the 7 day NCL POA cruise (circle Hawaii - no sea days) Very nice. Never ate in the MDR - it was simply a floating hotel - didn't feel like being on a cruise. However, It was interesting to see NCL enforce their "dress code" in their fancy restaurant...they turned away a teen wearing her workout clothes...furgetabout requiring a collared shirt....

I will stay with the more traditional lines as long as they exist and try and avoid being swallowed by the masses.

Edited by Pete and Judy

First let me say I have no horse in this race. I'm not sorry to see 'Formal' night relaxed, but by the same token, I'd like to think people will dress appropriately for the new guidelines.

That said, just because something is stupid expensive does not make it dressy. I could go out and buy an $11,000 pair of Air Jordans from Nike -- but that doesn't make them a suitable accompaniment to a formal gown or tux. ;)

http://www.sneakerfreaker.com/articles/10-of-the-most-stupidly-expensive-sneakers-ever/air-jordan-11-black-out/

You are correct but a $100 golf shirt and a nice pair of slacks look a lot nicer than a $60 10 year old sports coat from Sears that I've seen on many cruises which meets the formal requirements of some posters. In all honesty, formal night on cruises for the last 10 years has been anything but formal.

Maybe HAL should consider seating formally dresses guests in one section of the dining room, or at a particular time. 😀

Folks could also be seated according to their political leanings. I would choose the Trump Section simply for its entertainment value with a side-dish of no-holds-barred dinnertime conversation.:D

I agree with you 100%. I believe jeans are for home and fast food restaurants, Denny's, IHOP and other Diners, never ever in a restaurant such as the cruise lines have:)

Joanie

Are you serious? Just at home or in fast food restaurants? That sounds really ridiculous.

Are you aware that there are very nice dark, elegant jeans out there? Not just the Mid-West Cowboy thingies?

A LOT of well educated people aged 25-45 wear jeans, with collared shirts and jackets (sometimes even a tie) and some matching shoes to just be formal, yet not overdoing it. Formal, yet fashionable.

Those subtle concepts are actually quite important in -at least European- company culture, unless you would like to be called a penguin behind your back or risk being laughed at because your slacks don't even match your jacket or shoes.

Btw this isn't about HAL's guidelines. These are just my thoughts on someone claiming jeans should only be allowed at home or at McDonalds. And perhaps KFC and Burger King...

DW & I always liked having a table for two "along the rail" of the staircase towards the front so we could get a good view of the people coming into the MDR. On formal nights, in years gone by, there were truly some spectacular fashion plates. Lately (last 5 years or so) it's been dark suits and black dresses - you'd have thought it was a wake, not a formal night.

Now, the entertainment value will go back up.

I've always been a stickler for following the rules - without needing the "fashion police" around the decks. I'm still that way. HAL has redefined the minimum standard, and we'll abide by it. I'll still probably wear a jacket, but I'll no longer argue with myself about the need for a tie (turtlenecks are wonderful).

For those of you so insecure, so lacking in self-esteem that the appearance of other people makes you fret while dining I can only recommend that you immediately switch to Cunard, and Queen's Grille suites, to bolster your self-image.

I would love to bolster my self image with the Queens grille suites but I'll be stuck in the cattle car of the mainstream lines:D

I think the larger challenge about what attire is appropriate is very much dependent on where you live, etc.

A fair amount of people on this board assume that the standards where they happen to live are the standards for the country. Or worse, the standards in their country are what really should be the standard in the rest of the world.

The notion, for instance, that jeans are for home and fast food outlets simply does not take into account the fashion realities of high end designer jeans nor does it take into account acceptable dress in many parts of the world. Plus there is a huge generational and demographic gap in fashion sense.

Edited by iancal

DW & I always liked having a table for two "along the rail" of the staircase towards the front so we could get a good view of the people coming into the MDR. On formal nights, in years gone by, there were truly some spectacular fashion plates. Lately (last 5 years or so) it's been dark suits and black dresses - you'd have thought it was a wake, not a formal night.

I've always been a stickler for following the rules - without needing the "fashion police" around the decks. I'm still that way. HAL has redefined the minimum standard, and we'll abide by it. I'll still probably wear a jacket, but I'll no longer argue with myself about the need for a tie (turtlenecks are wonderful).

For those of you so insecure, so lacking in self-esteem that the appearance of other people makes you fret while dining I can only recommend that you immediately switch to Cunard, and Queen's Grille suites, to bolster your self-image.

My wife wouldn't let me say it!

Thank you.

If that's what you think, I'm guessing you've never sailed Cunard. It isn't just the people in the Grills who dress for formal night. Those of us in the "rowers" cabins do, too. And when everyone participates, it makes for a truly Gala evening. If you haven't experienced that, I don't know how else to explain it to you.

Per Kg? That's insane.

Why is that insane...On many long haul flights the per Kg is more than $25.00 & has been the same way for over 40 years..Excess baggage has always been expensive on International Airlines..

In the U.S. an extra 10lb bag at $25.00 per Lb would cost $250.00

A 10 lb bag is 4.54 Kg. so many transatlantic carriers would charge $486 which is about double the cost..

However, most International Carriers still permit 66 LBs (30 Kgs.) of free luggage per Psgr. which is quite a lot... DH & I would be permitted 132 Lbs. (60 Kgs) together..

We've traveled all over the world & have never taken more than our allotted 132 lbs of luggage & have had to dress formally on many of our excursions especially when I was on business..

As I mentioned before, Australians & New Zealanders have more restrictions, but I've met many of them from down under & they always were able to take Formal clothes & not be over-weight.. If someone does not want to carry formal clothes, they can always rent them at a fraction of the cost of overweight luggage..

I have never bought into the excuse that Airlines were restricting someone from packing formal clothes.. To me that's just an excuse & those people should be honest with themselves if they do not wish to dress formally.. It was no skin off my nose if someone else does not want to dress formally.. But it's now a moot pint..

Now of course, since we drive to the port, I can take 10 Lbs of shoes..:eek:

Edited by serendipity1499

Never yet sailed on HAL and this means I never will.

It's impossible to have a "formal night" if one couple is in black tie evening dress and the other in Dockers and a polos. HAL should just be straightforward and say Forgedaboudit as did Azamara.

I agree. They've changed the wording to "gala" to avoid alienating the passengers who don't want to hear the "f-word" of cruising. And they've changed the suggested dress description to be less formal than before.

At this point, I don't care if HAL drops "gala" or "formal" nights. I just wish they would either have some degree of formal night and enforce it or give up and admit they're giving up. Trying to be all things to all people doesn't work.

I couldn't agree more. It would be nice to think that this isn't a long, slippery slope and that the downwards slide will stop here. I suspect, however, that the old adage of "give 'em an inch and they'll take a mile" holds true.

Agree, that it will hold true and I've seen it first hand on Carnival years ago. It started with this, then went to dress shorts and collared pullover for Casual Nights and the next thing basketball shorts, spandex shorts, cut-off tees, etc. Carnival also wanted to then remove the linen and did so on the Carnival Glory about two years ago. They didn't roll it out to the other Ships after complaints but do basketball shorts and linen really go together? Not, IMO!

Problem is people need rules and when given an inch, they do take a mile and that is exactly where it will end up!

I find the amount of formal bashing on this thread to be unreal. Apparently everyone that dresses formal wears cheap jackets from Sears or dresses made of fabric that shouldn't be worn in public. These statements are far more harsh then anything I've heard from people who dress formal. Wow.

A LOT of well educated people aged 25-45 wear jeans, with collared shirts and jackets (sometimes even a tie) and some matching shoes to just be formal, yet not overdoing it. Formal, yet fashionable.

Fashionable? Yes. Dressy? Yes, by current standards. Can it look good on people? Of course.

But it cannot be termed "formal". (And yes, I get the irony that HAL "formal" nights have not been "formal" for quite a while......:D)

Personally, I think it's a great look. I'd be happy with a real "smart casual" dress code every evening. It's easier for people to understand.

I think we're all missing the key takeaway here. The new policy no longer says anything about "out of respect for your fellow passengers...."

It also sets people up to be in compliance with the dress code by wearing the required items (slacks, collared shirts,) while still allowing them to be considered inappropriate.

I can see it now. Tuxedoed and begowned passengers running up behind the golf shirt and khakis crowd screaming, "Inappropriate! Inappropriate!" Meanwhile. the business casual crowd yells back, "Die, you foppish dandies!"

I think we best all order one of Ruth's (patent pending) Heavy Purses for when the mayhem erupts.

I think we're all missing the key takeaway here. The new policy no longer says anything about "out of respect for your fellow passengers...."

It also sets people up to be in compliance with the dress code by wearing the required items (slacks, collared shirts,) while still allowing them to be considered inappropriate.

I can see it now. Tuxedoed and begowned passengers running up behind the golf shirt and khakis crowd screaming, "Inappropriate! Inappropriate!" Meanwhile. the business casual crowd yells back, "Die, you foppish dandies!"

I think we best all order one of Ruth's (patent pending) Heavy Purses for when the mayhem erupts.

I am imagining the Laurel and Hardy pie fight right now! :D

Seems like a good idea! Would beat any of the ships own entertainment in my humbly but honest opinion (on a positive note: did like the 'hired'/'3rd party' entertainment very much though)

I agree. They've changed the wording to "gala" to avoid alienating the passengers who don't want to hear the "f-word" of cruising. And they've changed the suggested dress description to be less formal than before.

At this point, I don't care if HAL drops "gala" or "formal" nights. I just wish they would either have some degree of formal night and enforce it or give up and admit they're giving up. Trying to be all things to all people doesn't work.

Well said......set a standard and enforce .....

I think most agree that some code is necessary.

Many cultures and geographic origins are represented on a typical cruise and they all have different local standards they bring with them.

In your own city or town, their is enough time for each establishment to create their own culture of what is acceptable.

On a cruise ship there isn't time to create a group norm, so the cruise line must establish the norm in advance. All I ask is the they create a dress expectation/norm and then enforce.

I find little correlation between someone's dress code preference and their self esteem, political party or anything else. People who dress formally or causally are equally capable of being jerks.

What offends me is people who flaunt the cruise ships social rules: line cutting, talking during shows, saving chairs, and disregarding dress codes - be it shorts in the MDR or swim wear in the LIDO

Edited by Pete and Judy

What is there to argue about??

HAL now says collared shirt and slacks are acceptable attire for me in the MDR on formal/gala nights. I do not think that that it could be any clearer.

Why on earth would anyone criticize a fellow cruiser for wearing this on these in the MDR on formal nights if they are within the bounds of acceptable as HAL defines it?

Criticism and disdain would be better directed at the source-HAL.

This will end up being like the last earth shattering debate about the changes to the bringing your own wine on board policy. There will be lots of indignation, ands, ifs, buts, and I am switching cruise lines. My guess is that the vast majority of HAL regulars and HAL cheerleaders will continue to book with HAL and will consider HAL to be 'the best of a bad lot'.

Edited by iancal

DH said our last HAL cruise was our last with them, he wanted to try a line that didn't have the formal night jacket requirement. I just told him HAL has now eliminated the "must wear jacket" clause, and he's ready to take another cruise with HAL. It will be interesting to see what the dress codes for all cruise lines are like 10 or 20 years from now.

I'm sorry to see formal attire go. I like to dress up. Wish they would ban baseball hats or any other hat on a man in the dining room.

No one has "outlawed" formal attire - wear it if you want. Wear it every night if you want.

And some men, for cultural or religious reasons, need to have their head covered at all time. A baseball cap is a socially acceptable (in North America)way of doing that.