Have RCCL "Meet & Mingle" Roll Calls Suffered?

Dlanco

The roll call for my upcoming cruise in Oct is the least active I have ever been on. Seems to have picked up a little but mostly people trying to coordinate tour shares. Not a bad thing, just haven't gotten a real warm feeling. Thought maybe it was due to the new inter-porting thing, but maybe not. :confused:

M&Ms are a great feature (especially on a cloudy day at sea) and I applaud RCI for holding them. With other cruise lines, Roll Calls are pretty much on their own for shipboard functions.

The last two Roll Calls I have had the pleasure to be connected have been very active, thanks to a core number of folks who post frequently.

True, I have been involved in some "slower" Roll Calls, but that didn't prevent those of us who took part from having a lot of fun. :)

I think that a lot of people are using other social media to arrange meet ups. I see a lot of activity on Facebook and Twitter which always surprises me… I generally don't like to let people know that I will be out of my house for 7 to 10 days. [emoji16]

Exactly, I got chastised by the facebook moderator of one of those groups just for mentioning that it wasn't hard to figure out what people were away from home when. The response was the groups are only open to people going on that cruise. I replied, more correctly people who say they are going on a cruise.

Perhaps M&M is suffering because of the program that enables you to sign up. It took 11 days after our deposit to sign up. Is this normal, or did the program work because of the e-mail that I sent Royal after a week had passed of not being able to sign up.:rolleyes: We received a confirmation e-mail. I guess now I have to hope that our invitations appear in our stateroom. DH tried to check on line and received a cache error. I remember that I had trouble signing up last year and my TA intervened for us.

I love CC but they are too restrictive. you cant mention this or that..... you get punished like a toddler if you do and get put in time out. you cant offer a tour you havent been on, thats crazy- if we want to set up a group excursion and none of us have been on it then we cant suggest it. I do go to the meet and mingle but have noticed alot less traffic on the roll calls. I think they are forcing people to leave and choose the other site because you cant cross post. not everyone wants to go to the other site but if they dont and we cant mention the activities on here then they will go where they can see all that is offered.

I agree 100%....it turns into a "can you top this" contest as far a number of cruises for the least amount of money and how many crew members they are "friends" with......enough already.....it's become the same as showing up at your local McDonalds and see the retirees huddling in the corner protecting their small coffee for hours talking about bowel movements......no more for us......

Also agree Joe.

Our upcoming Meet &Mingle for Freedom of the Seas had 96 registered the last time looked. Just like roll calls, some do better than others. The meet & greets that are organized by roll calls usually do better that RCI's M&M, at least the ones we've been to on Carnival. I still like RCI's M&M though, it's nice to meet the people you've been "talking" to for months.

And...sometimes people don't know how to register or find the link to register.

As a first time cruiser, I have no idea how to register for a M&M, or really how it relates to the roll call. I joined the roll call for my upcoming cruise but several people keep posting about how quiet and boring the roll call is. LoL that really doesn't encourage people to speak up, especially if they haven't done it before. :)

As a first time cruiser, I have no idea how to register for a M&M, or really how it relates to the roll call. I joined the roll call for my upcoming cruise but several people keep posting about how quiet and boring the roll call is. LoL that really doesn't encourage people to speak up, especially if they haven't done it before. :)

If your cruise is 7 days or longer, you sign up for the M&M here:

https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/ccEntry.do

Cruises less than 7 days do not have a M&M provided by Royal.

Edited by clarea

it's become the same as showing up at your local mcdonalds and see the retirees huddling in the corner protecting their small coffee for hours talking about bowel movements......

:d:d:d

You should see my Wind Surf roll call, it's just me! I post about once a week to keep myself updated on what I've been up to.

Edited by maureencruiser

This is a thread that I agree with everyone, the meetings have turned into, I have been there, bought the t-shirt, and wore it out, so why should I show up when there is so much other stuff going on.

Have found some M&M's to be better than others. I much prefer the open venues(Viking Crown or other private open areas).

Last couple have been in the bleachers of the ICE RINK. You can't move around to MEET & MINGLE. Everyone just sits and listens to a couple different speakers, a few of the above mentioned door prizes and......done. Also, generally about half of the people who sign up, show up. This from the CD and I would have to concur.

Cabin crawls have been a lot more interesting, more about meeting and mingling.

See, despite having cruised several times I've never known of the Roll Call, so hadn't joined up.

I DID join up for the Roll Call for my upcoming cruise (Explorer, Southampton - Barcelona, 2nd - 9th October) and it's really really active. I mean there are several posts a day and we're still 44 days to go. (current count 850 posts).

I think, from having looked at other Roll Call threads, the keys to them being successful are:

• Having someone who knows what they're doing starting up the Roll Call, setting up the M&M events etc etc.
  • Having other like minded and fun people on the Roll Call (I know you can't always control this)
  • Letting people talk about whatever they want - don't restrict it to JUST cruise logistics. Half of our thread has been about canadian bacon and gin (lots of gin). It keeps conversation flowing, it keeps people engaged. If you shut down fun conversations you simply push people away.
  • Encourage participants to be open about themselves (pictures, little details, background, something fun) - it keeps conversation flowing and more interesting.

I must add, I come from a professional background of community engagement for UNAIDS so this is kind of my wheelhouse - but on a ship.

Build it and they will come. Keep it fun and interesting and they will stay.

This is a thread that I agree with everyone, the meetings have turned into, I have been there, bought the t-shirt, and wore it out, so why should I show up when there is so much other stuff going on.

I believe the roll call is what you make of it, and that goes for the M&M.

you cant offer a tour you havent been on, thats crazy- if we want to set up a group excursion and none of us have been on it then we cant suggest it. .

While i agree to some extent, I believe you are misinterpreting the rules. I've been in plenty of threads were tour operators disguise them selves as everyday users and talk up their tours. That is why the rules are there, but nothing is to stop you from saying, "anyone know about X tours? I'm thinking of using them.

I'd go in to the bigger point of your post, but that would get me in trouble.

Good points from everyone! As for myself, I have seen both dynamics. Last year on Oasis, we had a crazy busy roll call, great showing at M&M, cabin crawl to almost every room type, and also did a slot pull. Great fun, energetic and outgoing group of people, all ages! I think we just had the right mix of people and an organizer who grabbed the reins and never let go. A successful M&M needs that person, IMO, to get the conversations and events going.

This time around, it seems we have a much quieter roll call. Most have expressed little interest in going to M&M, as they have other things planned or stuff they want to see and do. Oasis is a big ship, and impossible to see it all in 7 days, so I completely understand. We also don't have the organizer/leader to arrange for cabin crawl, slot pull, etc.

I don't blame RCCL either. We get what we put into it. If it's busy and fun and a lot of events are planned, we will usually always go. Never had a bad time. If it's not busy and nothing is planned, we will probably make a quick appearance or not, and then we'll enjoy or cruise just like we always do!!

• Having someone who knows what they're doing starting up the Roll Call, setting up the M&M events etc etc.
  • Having other like minded and fun people on the Roll Call (I know you can't always control this)
  • Letting people talk about whatever they want - don't restrict it to JUST cruise logistics. Half of our thread has been about canadian bacon and gin (lots of gin). It keeps conversation flowing, it keeps people engaged. If you shut down fun conversations you simply push people away.
  • Encourage participants to be open about themselves (pictures, little details, background, something fun) - it keeps conversation flowing and more interesting.

I must add, I come from a professional background of community engagement for UNAIDS so this is kind of my wheelhouse - but on a ship.

Build it and they will come. Keep it fun and interesting and they will stay.

Your's was a good post, I agree completely, but some people get turned off by that. I guess you can't please everyone. I guess having been on the internet for 30 years, I've learned how to skim over things that are not of interest.

There have been several good post and while not coming to any conclusions, I wonder if the decline in roll calls is an indication of the bigger issues of where our world culture is these days. Despite social media, people are becoming less social, especially with their heads buried in their phones or tablets when not eating, sleeping or working. The outside world is becoming more instrusive and people are dropping home phone lines and not setting up voicemail on phones trying to be less in touch. Just one aspect perhaps. I will continue to enjoy the roll calls and the MANY friends I have made through them. Even if the official gatherings die they sure help me pass the time till I cruise again. Royal pulled a bone headed move and I missed my last Meet and Mingle, but I still enjoyed the 400 days up to the cruise and the new friends I made then.

I started this conversation thread because I was concerned that the lack of participation in M& M Roll Calls might be lacking all around. It looks like I was partially correct. I recall roll calls that I had subscribed too in the past that had over 100 active participants and posts that exceeded over 1000. I'm interested in useful information from fellow cruisers on the trip that may have visited the ports, know the ship and can offer suggestions. I agree that useless information about someone's aches and pains, pets, and favorite recipes need to go. That said it’s always refreshing to make friends with those that will be traveling with you before we embark. I'll be patient and hope that my 10/1/2016 Roll Call for Oasis starts to pick up but right now it looks bleak.

I believe that people are too "open" with their information here on Cruise Critic. It results in the cruise line being able to pin point exactly who you are, what you complain about, and next time maybe not get that discount as you are bragging about it at meet and mingle and here on CC.

I don't believe that all non cruise conversation is useless chatter. When your roll call has over 6000 views with a little over 700 post by a handful of people, you realize there are a lot of people that lurk but never participate. When a roll call is started early like more than a year in advance of the cruise, the early people (Who has never met each other) get to know each other through some of these conversations. As they get to know each other they share things such as a person in our current roll call whose wife passed away and his daughter replacing her on the cruise. He explained how difficult it was going to be without his wife on the cruise for the first time. I even shared how I had to have surgery for prostate cancer during the time of the roll call. So in addition to talking about all things cruise which there has been a lot of conversation about, other things have been talked about also just due to the fact that we have grown to know each other. This has happened on other roll calls I have been a part of also and at the pre cruise meet & greet it was like a meeting of old friends even though it was the first time anyone had actually met.

When it comes to the official meet & mingle you a lot of the lurkers from the roll call show up and then feel alienated and think that everyone is in little groups when in actuality it is the folks who have been speaking in the roll call with each other for over a year conversing and setting in motion plans that have been made. In our current roll call we greet everyone and try to make them feel a part of the roll call. We have had one time posters who introduce themselves and then never came back!

When do the roll calls typically get active? There are 9 members for my cruise next June...ours has the most members for the month, but it was mostly me and one other person posting. Ah well...hope it picks up! I agree that "meeting" people and our shared love of (read: obsession with?) cruising can be a lot of fun.....

[*]Letting people talk about whatever they want - don't restrict it to JUST cruise logistics. Half of our thread has been about canadian bacon and gin (lots of gin). It keeps conversation flowing, it keeps people engaged. If you shut down fun conversations you simply push people away.

I agree. There is only so much cruise and port talk you can talk about for a year or so. Personal chat doesnt bother me in the least and it keeps the thread bumped to the top so I dont have to digging for it. I dont subscribe to threads because I dont like all the notifications.

I have not seen any suffering. RCI still has the party if you get the required amount to sign up. No change in that

Most roll calls that people think are active is debatable. The op brought up the oasis, looking at the page 1 cruises almost all the posting is done by 10 to 15 people. I don't call that active even though there might be a 100 signed up. No one knows how many will show up.

I doubt the M&Ms we participated in would have the same impact, if not for the pre-cruise dinners, slot pulls, cabin crawls, etc. It's up to us to make a M&M successful. And yes, some M&Ms ARE boring. People do sit around looking bored, waiting for the raffle prizes to be awarded, have some snacks, then get up and leave without mingling. What is the point????

Glad my current roll call is active with folks anticipating meeting and participating in the various events we're in the midst of planning.