The Salty Dog Gastropub and New Grounds Crafted Coffee

IECalCruiser

There's no way to do live testing before implementation, as they need to set up the space and have passengers.. Focus groups can only do so much..

For example, you might see a menu with (let's say) $3 small plates for 2 trips, then they will analyze sales, and maybe say, $4 and 3 for $6, then try THAT for two trips, then try free for two trips to see how much is eaten, etc...

That's a possibility however only a month in advance I would expect them to have already tested their options & decided if there will or will not be a fee. It's been speculated that it will be like Ocean Seafood Terrace or Kai Sushi with a price for each plate. However I see no reason for not telling us if there will be a cost & if so what that cost would be only a month before implementation.

At least SHARE disclosed there would a "nominal cover charge" and SHARE begins after the Salty Dog. I think Princess needs to fully research changes before disclosing them to passengers particularly for a change only a month away. They're being vague about SHARE pricing and even worse they have not disclosed whether there is a fee or not for the Salty Dog.

I think they should have tested pricing options before promoting the implementation of this change instead of promoting the Salty Dog without disclosing any pricing structure.

There's no way to do live testing before implementation, as they need to set up the space and have passengers.. Focus groups can only do so much..

For example, you might see a menu with (let's say) $3 small plates for 2 trips, then they will analyze sales, and maybe say, $4 and 3 for $6, then try THAT for two trips, then try free for two trips to see how much is eaten, etc...

Sorry but I feel differently...they should do their research & present customers a final product without requiring modifications.

But opinions are not the same as facts & I respect your opinion even if I disagree with it.

Edited by Astro Flyer

In a perfect world they should build it out somewhere and do that, but in the hospitality industry this is not an uncommon practice (like new restaurants that offer tasting menus during a soft opening and revise prices and items before going full open). Even big chains like McDonalds do it (roll an item out in different areas at different price points and see how they do)...

The only way to practically test it in a ship environment is to serve it in a ship environment (okay, granted my preference would be to test it as invitation complimentary and then survey on price, but this method is not unusual)

As long as the prices are marked at the venue so that people actually buying it know, that's all that's really important (hopefully, the fact that the pub is charge/not charge/partial would not affect anyone's decision to actually cruise).

Sorry but I disagree with you...they should do their research & present customers a final product without requiring modifications.

But opinions are not the same as facts & I respect your opinion even if I disagree with it.

I am interested in knowing if that area will also remain open for just bar service? Or will it become strictly a no-eat-no-seat venue, at least during "small plate" hours?

I realize that area has, at times, seemed underutilized on some ships, but I dislike seeing formerly public areas become upcharge only.

Edited by SoCal Cruiser78
clarity

Sabatini's and the steak house (name is different on different ships) currently have a "nominal" $25/person charge.

So we can expect at least a $25 charge at Share.

It is always possible that Share will cost more than $25 and if that happens, it is possible the steak house cost will increase to be the same amount.

Sabatini's and the steak house (name is different on different ships) currently have a "nominal" $25/person charge.

So we can expect at least a $25 charge at Share.

It is always possible that Share will cost more than $25 and if that happens, it is possible the steak house cost will increase to be the same amount.

Share will initially only be on the Crown and the Ruby and only potential appears to be as a replacement Sabatini's or the Crown Grill. We will know when Share us added to the Ruby the end of November. Most ships might not have a Share added. Sabatini's, Bayou Cafe and Sterling Steakhouse have had somewhat recent price increases but the Crown Grill may be prime for on increase if Sabatini's is replaced on the Ruby. Edited by IECalCruiser

Share will initially only be on the Crown and the Ruby and only potential appears to be as a replacement Sabatini's or the Crown Grill. We will know when Share us added to the Ruby the end of November. Most ships might not have a Share added. Sabatini's, Bayou Cafe and Sterling Steakhouse have had somewhat recent price increases but the Crown Grill may be prime for on increase if Sabatini's is replaced on the Ruby.

The prices were increased several years ago to $25.

Are you seeing them higher on some ships now?

Edited by caribill

Share will initially only be on the Crown and the Ruby and only potential appears to be as a replacement Sabatini's or the Crown Grill. We will know when Share us added to the Ruby the end of November. Most ships might not have a Share added. Sabatini's, Bayou Cafe and Sterling Steakhouse have had somewhat recent price increases but the Crown Grill may be prime for on increase if Sabatini's is replaced on the Ruby.
The prices were increased several years ago to $25.

Are you seeing them higher on some ships now?

No, I was referring to increases over the last few years that brought the other restaurants up to $25 to match the Crown Grill.

Sounds like we will have the GastroPub. We are on the Crown for its last sailing in October, 2015 (South Pacific).

Princess has scheduled our Meet & Greet for the Wheelhouse. So that would indicate it is not going away. Of course, we all know that with Princess, the left hand often does not know what the right is doing.

Sounds like we will have the GastroPub. We are on the Crown for its last sailing in October, 2015 (South Pacific).

Princess has scheduled our Meet & Greet for the Wheelhouse. So that would indicate it is not going away. Of course, we all know that with Princess, the left hand often does not know what the right is doing.

I'm right in front of you, on the Oct California coastal. I will be checking out the Gastropub first thing. I'm much more interested in this than that new Curtis Stone stuff.

Feel sure someone on Crown in October will be reporting back with the details.

We'll be on Emerald in January ... but it'll probably be "old news" by then. :)

LuLu

I'm sure that passengers on the Crown in October will share our experiences so there should be several opinions & experiences to read. ;)

Not sure when in October it will be implemented...there are two 7-day CA Coastal cruises followed by the 28-day roundtrip Hawaii/South Pacific cruise.

I checked the Princess web site and they show a picture of Share. My question is where will it be located on the Crown. Sailing in December so looking forward to information about this new dining venue.

Candi

It appears that the only spaces large enough would be a remodel of Sabatini's or the Crown Grill. Really can't tell from the renderings Princess has posted.

I checked the Princess web site and they show a picture of Share. My question is where will it be located on the Crown. Sailing in December so looking forward to information about this new dining venue.

Candi

The current Captain's Circle Magazine states "The Salty Dog Gastropub scheduled to be introduced in the Wheelhouse Bar on the Crown Princess in October 2015 followed by Emerald Princess and Ruby Princess in December 2015".

The SHARE press release does not say that it will be on the Crown & only Stone's courses will be available in the dining room by the end of 2015.

http://www.princess.com/news/press_releases/2015/07/Princess-Cruises-Announces-Exclusive-Celebrity-Chef-Partnership-with-Curtis-Stone.html#.VedBxcRHarU

"This new partnership adds to the cruise line’s "come back new" brand promise, designed to elevate the onboard guest experience. “Crafted by Curtis” menu items offered in the main dining rooms will debut aboard Golden Princess in the fall and roll out fleet-wide through the end of 2015. Chef Stone’s first restaurant at sea will debut in December aboard Emerald Princess, sailing from Ft. Lauderdale to the Caribbean and Ruby Princess, sailing from Los Angeles on cruises to Hawaii and Mexico. The rollout will continue on Coral Princess cruising the Panama Canaland then Sun Princess, which will bring Chef Stone’s restaurant to his home country, Australia. Curtis Stone’s Chef’s Table experience will debut across the fleet beginning in early 2016".

Edited by Astro Flyer

Candi

I neglected to reply to "where" SHARE will be located: "It will replace the line's long-standing Italian restaurant, Sabatini's, on Emerald Princess, Ruby Princess, Coral Princess and Sun Princess".

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=6458