Summit In Room Hairdryer -- Awful

soxfan2013

I always bring my blow dryer when ever I travel anywhere. The bathroom gets to hot when taking a shower - even when leaving the door wide open -so I would never blow dry my hair in there, but the lack of outlets for other things like electric shavers, electric toothbrushes, etc. is annoying.

Edited by CruisingChick

.shampoo and condition as normal

.send better half to the bar for your favourite glass of wine

.comb and loosely style hair

.sit on balcony, slowly sip wine as the gentle breezes slowly bring life to your tresses

Under no circumstances use the hair dryer on any cruise line. Guaranteed to friz your hair and your temper.

.shampoo and condition as normal

.send better half to the bar for your favourite glass of wine

.comb and loosely style hair

.sit on balcony, slowly sip wine as the gentle breezes slowly bring life to your tresses

Under no circumstances use the hair dryer on any cruise line. Guaranteed to friz your hair and your temper.

First off, we always book inside cabins, but even if I had a balcony cabin, I need a blow dryer, my hair would be all curls and frizz without it.

Reporting back that the in room hair dryer in our Aqua cabin on the Summit was terrible. Low power/heat and required constant turning on and off to operate. Also, no outlets in bathroom, so need to use desk/mirror outlets.

All I can say is "It's good to be a man". Don't have to worry about that stuff. My wife also hates the hair dryers, & has to worry about what type of soap, shampoo, conditioner, etc. I use whatever they provide, run a comb through my hair (what's left of it), pull on a pair of pants & shirt, & am ready to go.

How was the rest of your cruise?

Since cruise lines started putting those annoying weak handheld dryers that need pressure to stay on, I try to remember to bring mine from home. Some people report that they bring heavy-duty rubber bands to keep the switch held "on".

That's part of the problem...on, off, on, off, constantly.

That's part of the problem...on, off, on, off, constantly.

You need to hold the button down to make it be on. Is that annoying? Yes. Is it annoying enough to cause me to drag my own hair dryer along. No. Normally I allow my hair to dry on its own unless I'm in a hurry to go somewhere.

Now if I had very long, thick hair, my answer might be different.

Interesting that the general attitude is chill and have some wine, bring your own hairdryer, no problem for short haired people...

A quality hair dryer is a basic in room travel amenity. I thought this was "Modern Luxury"...Celebrity should just suck it up and provide better hair dryers.

OP, you seem to have nothing but regrets after your Summit cruise in Aqua class. Your first post covered all of the items you found lacking, and now you're starting topics for each of those complaints. I hope you can get over your many disappointments. I know you enjoyed Blu, so you have that to hang on to.

Every cruise line and ship (10 of them) that I've been on have horrible hairdryers. They always overheat after about 10-15 seconds and shut off, and need to cool for another minute or two before you can turn them back on. It ends up taking over an hour to dry my short fine hair!

Lesson learned - I bring my own travel dryer! And I'm happy to use it by the desk - there's more ventilation and room out there! :)

Interesting that the general attitude is chill and have some wine, bring your own hairdryer, no problem for short haired people...

A quality hair dryer is a basic in room travel amenity. I thought this was "Modern Luxury"...Celebrity should just suck it up and provide better hair dryers.

Its like that on all ships on every cruise line I have been on.

You seem to be well versed on cruisecritic so I am surprised that his was a surprise to you.

Was this your first cruise? and I'm not trying to say that in a snarky way.

I saw the other thread you started about Aqua Class on Summit as well.

I have to say our experience on Summit in Aqua Class in May was fantastic. We are boarding her again, in Aqua class in about 45 days and I hope my experience will be just as great as last time.

I am sorry it did not live up to your expectations.

Who said to just chill???? You told your little story, so let people tell theirs. A little thin skinned aren't you?

As to the comment about no outlets in the bathroom and thus the hair dryer must be used in the cabin....as far as I know that's true on all Celebrity ships unless we are talking about one of the old M class that has the box dryer in the bathroom....

Those dryers are long gone (and good riddance!). They've been converted to night lights.

I agree.

Much ado about nothing. If you hate the hairdryers on ships and in hotels, bring your own.

It's funny...I'm not making a big deal about the fact that the hair dryers are ineffective, just pointing it out.

Most people seem to agree that the hair dryers stink...my experience is that an effective hair dryer is sort of baseline for a reasonably good hospitality company. Hair dryers are pretty bulky...I'm sure many people would prefer to not have to travel with one. Obviously, in the case of Celebrity, that's not an option, and good to know for the future.

Surprising that so many seem people to be making excuses for Celebrity in regards to such a basic standard item.

Edited by soxfan2013

It's funny...I'm not making a big deal about the fact that the hair dryers are ineffective, just pointing it out.

Most people seem to agree that the hair dryers stink...my experience is that an effective hair dryer is sort of baseline for a reasonably good hospitality company. Hair dryers are pretty bulky...I'm sure many people would prefer to not have to travel with one. Obviously, in the case of Celebrity, that's not an option, and good to know for the future.

Surprising that so many seem people to be making excuses for Celebrity in regards to such a basic standard item.

I have been in many a hotel and cruise ship (not just Celebrity) that have substandard hair dryers. I have a travel dryer that I bring on most vacations. If I do not want the bulk, I leave it home and deal with what is provided. That said, I have curly hair that I can pull back in a headband. That is what I end up doing the majority of the time.

I know that does not apply to everyone, but being forewarned is being forearmed. I never assume a cruise ship or a hotel would have the equivalent of my own. If they do, then it is a bonus for me.

Clearly, knowing what we know now, we should have brought a hair dryer, especially w someone w very long straight hair who takes multiple showers per day...we're talking upwards of 90+ mins day just blow drying hair...so the wimpy hair dryer bothered us more than most.

I will say that we have traveled extensively and generally not felt the need to bring a hair dryer, and we've never even stayed in a pan Pacific hotel...well, lesson learned. We still managed to make the most out of the other 22+ hours/day.

Edited by soxfan2013