Your favorite restaurants in old San juan

brinvic

we enjoyed st. Germain bistro & cafe for lunch so much, we went back a second day. Great sandwiches, salads, and small plates. Their basil mojito was extremely refreshing after spending a hot morning exploring the fortresses. It's on 156 sol street at the corner of cruz st.

go irish!!!

El Jibarito - 280 Calle Sol. Very traditional Puerto Rican style cooking with lots of choices. Not upscale but nice. Frequented by locals.

El Jibarito was by far the best local food that I had in Old San Juan! It can get a little crowded and it is decidedly not fancy, but the food is excellent.

21153405438_bf0789ba1c_z.jpg

Edited by DuncanHusky
Fix image

We love Raices & Perla

http://restauranteraices.com

http://www.perlarestaurant.com

Raices is great authentic island food, when we had the island as a port of call in April one of the people with us who is a native if the island turned us on to Raices & were in love!

Perla is a great sit down meal in the Coronado area. Two thumbs up :)

We love Raices & Perla

http://restauranteraices.com

http://www.perlarestaurant.com

Raices is great authentic island food, when we had the island as a port of call in April one of the people with us who is a native if the island turned us on to Raices & were in love!

Perla is a great sit down meal in the Coronado area. Two thumbs up :)

Raices is pretty good with local cuisine but tends to be packed when cruises are in port. I dont know if they take reservations.

Perla is good but for me kinda expensive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

We had a port call in San Juan a week ago, and based on recommendations on this board we had lunch at Raices. It was FANTASTIC. (Thank you to all who recommended it!) Our first time eating mofongo, and we absolutely loved it.

The location really worked well for us too, as we started the day by walking to El Morro, with stops along the way, and then walked over to San Cristóbal, so by the time we were finished touring, it was time for lunch (a late lunch!) and Raices was close by. (Before heading back to the ship, we walked over to Barrachina's to have pina coladas. We thought that was a perfect division of food and drink. :) )

Mofongo%20at%20Raices_zpszhfonvwb.jpg

(photo by turtles06)

Guest maddycat

Another vote for Punta de Vista. We eat there whenever we're on a cruise that stops in Puerto Rico. They have excellent authentic Puerto Rican food and make great mojitos. I love the shrimp mofongo with garlic sauce and always get a coconut mojito. They're only about 4 blocks from the pier.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/punto-de-vista-restaurant-san-juan-2

Edited by maddycat

Last time we were in SJ we ate at a place that was owned by a retired relief pitcher for the New York Yankee's. I don't remember the name but I'm sure someone will know and post, very good food.

KJ.

Last time we were in SJ we ate at a place that was owned by a retired relief pitcher for the New York Yankee's. I don't remember the name but I'm sure someone will know and post, very good food.

KJ.

The Yankee pitcher, Ed Figueroa, owns a Mexican restaurant in OSJ called Lupis. Another location is near the airport.

My favorites are:

La Mallorquina - 207 Calle San Justo. It's been there many years.

Food is excellent and service is very good.

El Jibarito - 280 Calle Sol. Very traditional Puerto Rican style cooking with

lots of choices. Not upscale but nice. Frequented by locals.

Totally agree for local food. I tried Raices and felt that it was a tourist trap.

Marmalade

Dragonfly

The Parrot Club

I like your style!!!

I have put them on my list to see if I can get to for my vacation to Puerto Rico this coming April!!! I've got 6 days out at Bahia Beach, 2 days in San Juan, 2 days either Vieques or Rincon...

• 2 weeks later...
Best dinner restaurant near the cruise ship pier?

Almost all of the restaurants mentioned in the thread are open for dinner as well.

I'd like to recommend Café Manolin. Great local fare in a diner-type setting with no frills or gimmicks like Raices (although food at Raices is very good as well) and prices are a bit lower or comparable to Raices and El Jibarito. Locals who work at OSJ flock to it and Barrachina (another great alternative) during the weekdays at lunch so you might want to go before noon or after 2pm to some of these places.

Almost all of the restaurants mentioned in the thread are open for dinner as well.

I'd like to recommend Café Manolin. Great local fare in a diner-type setting with no frills or gimmicks like Raices (although food at Raices is very good as well) and prices are a bit lower or comparable to Raices and El Jibarito. Locals who work at OSJ flock to it and Barrachina (another great alternative) during the weekdays at lunch so you might want to go before noon or after 2pm to some of these places.

Thanks a bunch! Our ship is not scheduled to dock until after 2 PM, so I don't think we have to worry about the noon crowd! :-)

Edited by PamJack

I don't know--I assume the one near old San Juan

I would recommend the one below. I know this is copied and pasted from earlier, but it still applies. We have also tried the coffee since then and it was not that great.

When my wife and I were there last year, we went to a restaurant called Toro Salao at 367 Calle Tetuan in the Old Town. It had outdoor seating and the weather was very pleasant. It was like we were in an outdoor cafe in Europe, it just had that good vibe. Plus the dinner and drinks were very good.

While we were sitting there, a group of school kids were practicing a dance routine very close by. We could see them and hear them but they weren't very loud. We also had a good chance to just sit and relax and people watch. Since we were outside, basically in the middle of the huge sidewalk, people were walking on both sides of the outdoor seating area (enclosed) and we enjoyed just watching them

We really wanted to go to a coffee place and try some of the Puerto Rican coffee, there was one that was highly rated but they closed 5 minutes before we got there. They weren't too far from the restaurant I mentioned above either. Since we will be back to San Juan in less than 2 months, we'll make sure to plan a visit to the coffee place.

Don't bother with the Bacardi tour. It seemed like a waste of time to me and took more time than it really needed, cutting into other things we wanted to do.