Regal dead in the water

kennicott

She would appear to have moored at just after 06.15 UT (07.15 Local time) as at 06.13 UT she was making 0.7kts just a few metres off the quay.

Probably a little later than originally planned, but not enough to delay disembarkation beyond 08.00 LOCAL TIME and therefore not impacting on the day's itinerary.

Weather not too bad:

currently 8deg with a forecast high of 16deg - cool but comfortable

Wind 12mph (F3)

Partly cloudy with 0% chance of rain

Sounds like all's well that ends well.

Total loss of propulsion while at sea is a major incident. I'm pretty sure she will need to be inspected and cleared to resume her itinerary. Probably can happen with little to no interruption to the schedule' date=' given her location.[/quote']

It's probably just due to someone using a surge protector in their cabin. :eek:

Sorry, couldn't help myself. I have 3 more days of work and then we sail next Monday and I'm getting a bit crazy. :D

It's probably just due to someone using a surge protector in their cabin. :eek:

Sorry, couldn't help myself. I have 3 more days of work and then we sail next Monday and I'm getting a bit crazy. :D

Good laugh!

Don't think you're crazy though. I was thinking as the modern ships get controlled more and more by software, it could have been the "blue screen of death", or some other software glitch, that caused the problem.

I've got no evidence that was the problem, was just thinkin ...

Good laugh!

Don't think you're crazy though. I was thinking as the modern ships get controlled more and more by software, it could have been the "blue screen of death", or some other software glitch, that caused the problem.

I've got no evidence that was the problem, was just thinkin ...

I thought maybe someone forgot to feed the mice :-O

After the Carnival issues, most lines have set in place VERY sensitive breakers/sensors that trip at the slightest discrepancy.

Once tripped, the entire system has to be examined and the fault identified before systems are either bypassed or brought online.

Something as simple as a loose connection can take several hours of downtime to diagnose.

Kennicot..........It is just miserable here, so you might as well be doing what you are doing....Past termination dust on the Chugach.....45 in Anchorage and pouring.....and will be though the next 4 days.....so take heed, and enjoy life...

Thanks Husky, that is what we hear too, not anxious to get back home in a little over a week because of that. However, no deep anxiety or anything when this little drama occurred as I was born in the bush pilot business and even a little commercial fishing, that stuff comes with the territory. But not when one is on a cruise with almost 5000 others including crew.

Makes one wonder also, both propellers at once, glad these guys are not making airplanes.

On our way across the big pond now, hopefully, unless the propulsion motors quit at the same time again.

Well, I was wrong on my previous post, we were not gaining headway. The captain was using the bow and stern thrusters to position the ship favorably to the ocean swell. .

Interesting....I was not aware there were such things as "stern thrusters" on cruiseships, (besides the azipods)....I am familiar only with bow thrusters....:confused:

Interesting....I was not aware there were such things as "stern thrusters" on cruiseships, (besides the azipods)....I am familiar only with bow thrusters....:confused:

There are no azipods on any Princess ship. Hence the stern thrusters.

So Princess is still using old-school technology (propeller shafts and rudders) on their newbuild's? Interesting....

Stern thrusters have been around for a long time. I'm not certain if Princess has any ship without them anymore; do the R class ships, like the Pacific Princess, have stern thrusters? We sailed on the original Royal Princess for a total of at least three months, it did not have stern thrusters and cost Princess quite a bit as we continually had to have tugs pull/push on the stern. Even on this voyage, where the Regal has three stern thrusters, we needed tug assistance at one port where over 20 knot winds had us pinned against the pier. The huge sail area on these slab sided vessels really makes it difficult at times to navigate within the harbors.

It is true that 360 degree fully azimuthing pod propulsion has rendered stern thrusters obsolete on ships that are so equipped, rudders are also obsolete on those vessels. Beginning this year there were approximately 350 cruise ships in the world, 290 if you don't count the coastal cruise outfits. Only 60 had pod propulsion.

I recently noticed some ports don't just accept any ship that says it has thrusters, they need to know the number, diameter of each and other pertinent particulars.

In my opinion it is still going to take some time for the industry to work out some bugs in pod propulsion. During our cruise experiences, most of our propulsion problems have involved pod equipped vessels. Princess has obviously decided to go with the most reliable propulsion systems while letting other lines sort out the problem areas. Actually diesel-electric technology in itself has solved some problems. For instance, the long shaft alleys have disappeared, I believe the Q.E. ll was the last of those. This allows the electric generation to be situated within the vessel to achieve the desirable weight and balance without a long massive shaft needed to transfer the propulsion energy to the screws, since the electric propulsion motor can be located fairly close to the stern and the propellers.

But one has to admit, pod technology is indeed impressive. In addition to eliminating the thrusters and rudders they go a long weigh toward reducing vibration. The Queen Mary ll has four pods, two fixed and two azimuthing, each of which weigh about 250 tons. The Queen Mary ll is the fastest of all cruise ships with a top speed of well over 30 knots. All the new super large cruise ships, like the Oasis of the Seas, have pods. The Royal Caribbean giants have three pods each. Three propellers on a vessel were very difficult to engineer in the days of long shaft alleys, due vibration. There are three major manufactures of pods, each with different trade names, Azipod, Dolphin and Mermaid.