Beds on Princess?

beaconlight

I've read that Princess beds are uncomfortable and to request an egg crate. I also read that they are replacing their mattresses. Are the beds uncomfortable? How do the beds compare to Royal Caribbean? I am particularly interested in Regal Princess?

Its a crap shoot whether you get a good mattress or not. This should be a priority as one spends 6-8 hours or so laying on one. :(

Mattress's are replaced on an ongoing basis. The only time you can guarantee a new mattress is on a new ship right out of the shipyard.

We sailed the Regal last Nov. The mattress/ship was about 6 months old. It was OK. Pretty firm.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Mattresses are replaced all the time. Over the last several years and many cruises on a lot of different Princess ships, I've had comfortable pillow-top mattresses.

One thing to keep in mind when reading reviews is that mattress comfort is subjective. That's why when you go to buy a mattress, the store will have dozens of different types and softness/hardness levels to choose from.

Mattresses are replaced all the time. Over the last several years and many cruises on a lot of different Princess ships, I've had comfortable pillow-top mattresses.

One thing to keep in mind when reading reviews is that mattress comfort is subjective. That's why when you go to buy a mattress, the store will have dozens of different types and softness/hardness levels to choose from.

Not really subjective when there are 2 troughs running down the length of the bed. :(

I've read that Princess beds are uncomfortable and to request an egg crate. I also read that they are replacing their mattresses. Are the beds uncomfortable? How do the beds compare to Royal Caribbean? I am particularly interested in Regal Princess?

Some are uncomfortable. Some are not. I haven't been on the Regal yet, but I haven't had a bad mattress for at least a couple of years now.

We sailed the Regal in April & the mattress was comfortable for us. The Royal & Regal were built with all pillowtop mattresses which we discovered was a pillowtop mattress pad. To me they were as comfortable as we had on the Navigator OTS.

When a mattress on other Princess ships is uncomfortable for us, we requested a pillowtop mattress pad which was much better for us than the old broken down eggcrate pads.

Edited by Astro Flyer

We had bad mattresses on our last cruise on the Star. They were not pillowtop and old and broken down like hills and valleys. The made bed didn't look remotely flat. I didn't bother asking for an eggcrate because it wouldn't have helped. I slept OK because I was tired each day and youngish but for someone who has a bad back that bed would have been torture.

I prefer firm bed. I never found Princess bed uncomfortable although I heard some passengers complained about the bed being too firm. I am taking Regal in November and I hope the bed will be firm and suportive. I never really like pillow top. For me pillow top will make my body sink down and I don't like it. A 2" inch memory foam inside the mattress top layer is enough for me.

I prefer firm bed. I never found Princess bed uncomfortable although I heard some passengers complained about the bed being too firm. I am taking Regal in November and I hope the bed will be firm and suportive. I never really like pillow top. For me pillow top will make my body sink down and I don't like it. A 2" inch memory foam inside the mattress top layer is enough for me.

Its a pillow top pad which is removable.

IMO beds should never be an issue on a cruise. :(

I've never had a comfortable bed on a Princess ship. NEVER. I had only one that was tolerable but I felt I was always going to roll off the bed so I folded some towels and stuck them under the bed where it sagged the most. That bed actually had a pillow top. And that was the best of the worst.

There is a difference between hard and firm. Give me a firm bed but with an adequate pillow top and I will stop complaining.

Princess beds, for the past four years and our dozen plus cruises, have always been a disappointment. I generally like to sleep 7 hours when I am on vacation but it's a rare night I can get 5 before I awaken in pain and with pins and needles in my hips and legs.

We've asked for pads, egg crates, folded comforters and nothing has really made the beds anywhere as nice as HAL or Carnival's beds. Yet we continue to cruise predominately with Princess. Hope springs eternal. :p

My limited experience is that the cheaper the room, the crummier the mattress. The best bedding we've had has been in a mini-suite, and the balcony cabins we've had vary from iffy to lousy.

I keep hearing that the replacement of mattresses is ongoing. It needs to go on a little faster in my opinion.

Jim

My limited experience is that the cheaper the room, the crummier the mattress. The best bedding we've had has been in a mini-suite, and the balcony cabins we've had vary from iffy to lousy.

I keep hearing that the replacement of mattresses is ongoing. It needs to go on a little faster in my opinion.

Jim

We have had bad ones in all cabins.

We have had bad ones in all cabins.

Me too...minisuites to insides there's been no correlation between type of cabin & comfort and in dozens of Princess cruises it's just been a matter of luck for me.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Usually (and I stress usually), I get an acceptable mattress if I have a mini or above. They haven't been great, but acceptable. In April, on the Crown, I had a terrible mattress in a balcony cabin. My friend next to me had a terrible mattress, too. She finally tipped her cabin steward who found her a 2" memory foam mattress pad. Hmmm... My cabin steward just folded comforters over the flattened out pillow top pad. It didn't help much. Overall, I've had better luck in the past couple years than back when all mattresses were bad. I've recently cruised on HAL and the mattress was so comfortable I didn't want to get out of bed in the morning.

I have found that when ships are nearly new....all of the mattresses are fairly comfortable, but as ships age, then it is the luck of the draw as to the age of the mattress(es) in your cabin...they do not wear evenly, and are not always replaced at the same time....

Worst mattress was the Pullman in an aft facing balcony on the Golden. It was ticked with plastic ties, similar to how a price tag is attached.

The another was a pullout couch in a mini on the Grand. Worse pullout we've ever slept on. Made even worse by a lethargic room steward.

Regular mattresses have been ok.

Thank you everyone for your replies. I like a firm bed too, but it needs to a little soft. I like the Tempur Pedic Contour Allura mattress. I'm not expecting to find that on a ship. I just want it to be at least as good as Navigator of the Seas.

I think your chances are good, since you're on the newest Princess ship. The Regal mattresses were all new not too long ago.

Jim