Service Charge (Tips) Increase

jarand

I'd rather hold on to my money for the extra 75 days and not have to worry about losing it if we had to cancel. That's just me though. I suppose it would be in the cruise line's best interest to get an extra 2 1/2 months of use of people's money if those people wanted to part with it.

It's not just you. I'd rather pay on board too.

Me too!

However those who wish to pay when they make final payment for their cruise could easily purchase OBC for themselves in advance... That would be a way of paying your gratuities in advance.. I can't see the problem..:confused:

Me too!

However those who wish to pay when they make final payment for their cruise could easily purchase OBC for themselves in advance... That would be a way of paying your gratuities in advance.. I can't see the problem..:confused:

Exactly.

I'd rather hold on to my money for the extra 75 days and not have to worry about losing it if we had to cancel. That's just me though. I suppose it would be in the cruise line's best interest to get an extra 2 1/2 months of use of people's money if those people wanted to part with it.

what??

And stiff the poor staff out of 75 days interest.

Well makes about as much sense as most rubbish posted on tip threads.

what??

huh??? who says they get the interest????

It's pretty rare for a corporation to share interest with their employees, profit maybe, but not interest.

You must have knowledge we don't. Please do share.

huh??? who says they get the interest????

It's pretty rare for a corporation to share interest with their employees, profit maybe, but not interest.

You must have knowledge we don't. Please do share.

I think he was being facetious

what??

Right now, the HSC is paid / charged daily for each day of the cruise. Your argument is a straw man fallacy. Most debaters would consider it lazy or intellectually dishonest. There is no interest because there is no advance collection of the HSC.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

I swear, sometimes it's like trying to teach a cat to play the piano. It's a waste of my time, and it annoys the cat.

Right now, the HSC is paid / charged daily for each day of the cruise. Your argument is a straw man fallacy. Most debaters would consider it lazy or intellectually dishonest. There is no interest because there is no advance collection of the HSC.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

I swear, sometimes it's like trying to teach a cat to play the piano. It's a waste of my time, and it annoys the cat.

But you know you love it, or you wouldn't keep trying:D

Not to lines that DO collect it early and make a lot more than pennies off of it...

There are about 20,335,000 cruise passengers per year (2013 statistics.) If they each paid the low HSC of $10 per day - because that makes the math easier - each day of HSC would be worth $200.335 million dollars. Assuming final payment is due 75 days out, a little over $1.5 billion dollars would be tied up in prepaid HSC, on the average day, over the course of the year.

So, you're absolutely correct that it's not an insignificant amount, in the aggregate.

The interest on the gratuities is vanishingly small at today's rates. You're talking penney's.

You're joking right.

1000's of passengers per ship multiple ships even $12` a day even at 1/2% for 75 days = much dinero.

You're joking right.

1000's of passengers per ship multiple ships even $12` a day even at 1/2% for 75 days = much dinero.

For a ship of say 2,000 passengers on a 7-day cruise that would be about $172 in interest after 75 days and say 500 crew share in the pool (not all 900 would), it gives each one an extra 34c.

For a ship of say 2,000 passengers on a 7-day cruise that would be about $172 in interest after 75 days and say 500 crew share in the pool (not all 900 would), it gives each one an extra 34c.

They would be holding money for all ships for 2.5 months or longer, not just one ship. The number's add up way, way more than a few hundred bucks.

They would be holding money for all ships for 2.5 months or longer, not just one ship. The number's add up way, way more than a few hundred bucks.

I was illustrating the outcome of the example given and calculated it for one generic HAL sized ship. Multiplying it by 15 ships also means that the take-away extra has to be divided by the total crew on the 15 ships and would not significantly change the individual's gain.

Using pre-pay as an argument to get more money to the crew can also be countered by say a 50c increase in the HMC charged onboard.

Edited by Boytjie

I was illustrating the outcome of the example given and calculated it for one generic HAL sized ship. Multiplying it by 15 ships also means that the take-away extra has to be divided by the total crew on the 15 ships and would not significantly change the individual's gain.

Again, the poster was being facetious about distributing the interest.

I am surprised HAL doesn't collect early. That's free money. The other cruise lines love to do it.

Like I mentioned earlier, it's big in the aggregate. However, as Boytjie pointed out, it's miniscule at the employee level.

If people tipped a few random employees a few extra dollars when they cruised, it would have far more impact on employees than the carrying "interest" on prepaid HSC.

Again, the poster was being facetious about distributing the interest.

You keep saying that, but there's nothing from poster to indicate otherwise. There's no smiley face, nor was there a follow-up post. (I expect to see one any minute, though. ;) Winky face.)