Service Charge (Tips) Increase

jarand

well why doesn't the line do just that, include it as a line n the fare like they do with Taxes, Fees etc???

What difference would it make?????

If pre-paying gratuities is so important to you, choose a line that allows you to do this.

If cruising with HAL is important to you, do things the way they require.

It really isn't worth all of this back-and-forth.

If pre-paying gratuities is so important to you, choose a line that allows you to do this.

We should not condemn people for stating a preference with the standard lowest common Cruise Critic answer of "If you don't like THIS aspect, go away". There's nothing wrong with having a preference, stating it, and trying to create a change or at least have a company allow more options. Just because your company of choice has a certain policy doesn't make it the best or only way to do things. Companies respond to customer wishes. Maybe not overnight, or not in one fell swoop, but they do. No ones voice should be stifled.

I find the 'If you don't like ABC, LEAVE" line on Cruise Critic very disturbing. Does this site encourage discussion of varying ideas and opinions, or do we want an echo chamber amongst a small handful of people?

We should not condemn people for stating a preference with the standard lowest common Cruise Critic answer of "If you don't like THIS aspect, go away". There's nothing wrong with having a preference, stating it, and trying to create a change or at least have a company allow more options. Just because your company of choice has a certain policy doesn't make it the best or only way to do things. Companies respond to customer wishes. Maybe not overnight, or not in one fell swoop, but they do. No ones voice should be stifled.

I find the 'If you don't like ABC, LEAVE" line on Cruise Critic very disturbing. Does this site encourage discussion of varying ideas and opinions, or do we want an echo chamber amongst a small handful of people?

My implication is that it would appear that being able to prepay the HSC is of overriding importance to you and some others as witness the number and tone of postings in this thread.

I'm not condemning the idea, but am suggesting that - if this is so important to you - that you might be happier on another cruise line. I'd say the same to those who bemoan the fact that HAL doesn't offer rock-climbing walls on it's ships. Or those who wish to wear shorts and T's in the dining room. In all these cases, decide what's important to you, but realize that it seems trivial to many others, and go where you cab get what you want.

My implication is that it would appear that being able to prepay the HSC is of overriding importance to you and some others as witness the number and tone of postings in this thread.

I'm not condemning the idea, but am suggesting that - if this is so important to you - that you might be happier on another cruise line. I'd say the same to those who bemoan the fact that HAL doesn't offer rock-climbing walls on it's ships. Or those who wish to wear shorts and T's in the dining room. In all these cases, decide what's important to you, but realize that it seems trivial to many others, and go where you cab get what you want.

As usual, your post is spot on - very well said!

"In all these cases, decide what's important to you, but realize that it seems trivial to many others, and go where you can get what you want."

This is a sentiment that could refer to a lot of contentious threads all over CC.

"In all these cases, decide what's important to you, but realize that it seems trivial to many others, and go where you can get what you want."

This is a sentiment that could refer to a lot of contentious threads all over CC.

Another spot-on post - it appears that the early EDT posters are on their game this morning!!!

Edited by avian777

I don't think comparing ship infrastructure offerings to a policy whereby you can pay a charge before boarding is the same thing at all, but I see your point.

if something seems trivial to you, don't continue belaboring it. And certainly nothing be worked up over if it is doesn't move your meter.

As usual, your post is spot on - very well said!

I agree.

I agree.

What's most interesting is that some of us are offering suggestions in support of the crew. We are not suggesting that anything be taken away.

Suggesting that the HSC be paid upfront by final payment makes it much more transparent and also introduces a time window that allows the passenger to accept the charge. It also means that the HSC charge will not show up on their onboard account, and, as they say, out of mind, out of sight.

Yes, I realize that there will always be some passengers who simply will not pay. These are simply suggestions to help reduce that number so that the crew benefits.

Clearly, there are those on this forum who either do not comprehend that or have no interest whatsoever in these changes for whatever reason. The resistance to change has been clearly demonstrated.

<RANT>

To be quite frank, if I were as bothered as some of you are by the HSC, I'd be taking some other sort of vacation. If you are concerned about living wages, and making sure that the employees are taken care of, tip extra. Make it rain for crying out loud.

Once you are here, participating in the discussion, you're clearly aware and utterly unsurprised when you are charged HSC on your next cruise. Some of you have been at this for years. You know there's a hotel service charge. Figure it in to your cruise cost. If the math gives you pause, calculators are really inexpensive and astonishingly easy to operate.

</RANT>

Best rant I've read in ages!

Over the years, we have learned that there are lots of expenses that have to be written off as "the cost of travel." Some are more visible than others. The cruise price looks good, and then you have to start adding purchases. Get to the port--airfare (baggage fees plus pay-to-eat food) then car service or taxi (tipping usually involved there). Maybe a pre-cruise hotel (state and city taxes plus resort fee which you cannot remove even if you didn't use the complementary beach chair). Porter at the pier (tip). And the cruise itself adds HSC.

It's how travel is these days. Do the research, make a budget. If it's more than you can or are willing to spend, plan a different vacation.

If it's a matter of principle, and you don't believe in tipping, find a vacation that doesn't involve tipping. But please don't stiff the staff on your HAL cruise because you don't like to tip.

Several people have said they pay the HSC but prefer that it be rolled into the fare. Thank you for paying, even if the system isn't what you prefer. But have you done anything to let HAL know you don't agree with it? Have you complained about the HSC on your post-cruise questionnaire? Have you written to HAL to complain? (Or to whatever other line you cruise with?)

There are at least two separate issues in this thread. One is whether to tip at all and the other is a preference for either paying the service charge as part of the fare or along with your end of cruise bill. I think the key word here is "preference". While I fall in the inclusion with the fare camp, the alternative is certainly not a deal breaker for me and, my sense, not for most of the respondents in this thread.

We have heard a lot of arguments for why HAL doesn't itemize the service charge as part of the fare. None of these arguments are persuasive to me. For marketing purposes, HAL and other cruise lines want to advertise the lowest fare possible. In my mind, that is the primary reason port fees, taxes, fuel sur-charges and service charges by cruise lines that do so are never quoted in the advertised fare.

We have heard a lot of arguments for why HAL doesn't itemize the service charge as part of the fare. None of these arguments are persuasive to me. For marketing purposes, HAL and other cruise lines want to advertise the lowest fare possible. In my mind, that is the primary reason port fees, taxes, fuel sur-charges and service charges by cruise lines that do so are never quoted in the advertised fare.

Port fees, taxes and fuel surcharges can change at any time so to include it in the fare would not be feasible.

I am not sure whether I am helping the crew or helping HAL (or any other cruise line for that matter).

Am I increasing our gratuity to benefit the crew or am I increasing my gratuity so that HAL can keep crew wages low and/or not increase them?

I highly suspect that this has much more to do with HAL's bottom line than it does with the crew's financial rewards

Edited by iancal

And they can make adjustments to the final bill as they often do.

O, I can see some people get very upset if they paid a fare that included all of those and at the end of the cruise the cruise line adjusts it up due to a higher port tax (for example). "How can they increase my cruise fare after the fact?! :mad:"

I am not sure whether I am helping the crew or helping HAL (or any other cruise line for that matter).

Am I increasing our gratuity to benefit the crew or am I increasing my gratuity so that HAL can keep crew wages low and/or not increase them?

I highly suspect that this has much more to do with HAL's bottom line than it does with the crew's financial rewards

So you would take money away from the crew to make a point with HAL? Someone earlier hit the nail on the head when they mentioned it being done because people don't tip. By having it as a separate charge, minimal in my opinion, cruisers have the option to increase, reduce or eliminate it, but at least it makes them consider the subject. If you have a problem with the service on board, you should be addressing it with the Hotel Director or whatever the title is these days, not looking at punishing the crew as a whole.

So you would take money away from the crew to make a point with HAL? Someone earlier hit the nail on the head when they mentioned it being done because people don't tip. By having it as a separate charge, minimal in my opinion, cruisers have the option to increase, reduce or eliminate it, but at least it makes them consider the subject. If you have a problem with the service on board, you should be addressing it with the Hotel Director or whatever the title is these days, not looking at punishing the crew as a whole.

That isn't what the person you responded to said. Not at all.

Try again

in 3 sailings. That's only $96 more we will be paying so that will break us and send us to the poor house so we won't be sailing again. Or maybe my partner won't but the 4 cartons of Marlboros that she gets when we sail and life can go on as usual. What a dilemma?

That isn't what the person you responded to said. Not at all.

Try again

The first line was directed at her. The rest was a response to an amalgam of posts, a mini-rant if you will.

It astonishes me that people who are blessed to be able to afford to cruise get so worked up over sharing a small amount with those less fortunate. The crew members leave their loved ones for a minimum of six months in the hope of a better life for their families and themselves. They work extremely hard and if I can recognize their efforts as a group in this small way, I'm happy to do it. Going a step further, the joy on their faces when I hand an envelope at cruise end to those who I think have gone above and beyond to provide me with a great experience provides me with a joyful heart as well. They appreciate the money, but being recognized for their efforts means a lot to them as well.

Edited by blizzardboy

Suggesting that the HSC be paid upfront by final payment makes it much more transparent and also introduces a time window that allows the passenger to accept the charge. It also means that the HSC charge will not show up on their onboard account, and, as they say, out of mind, out of sight.

I'd rather hold on to my money for the extra 75 days and not have to worry about losing it if we had to cancel. That's just me though. I suppose it would be in the cruise line's best interest to get an extra 2 1/2 months of use of people's money if those people wanted to part with it.

I'd rather hold on to my money for the extra 75 days and not have to worry about losing it if we had to cancel. That's just me though. I suppose it would be in the cruise line's best interest to get an extra 2 1/2 months of use of people's money if those people wanted to part with it.

It's not just you. I'd rather pay on board too.

If its not Roth the back and forth, why throw in your 2 cents?:confused::confused:

The first line was directed at her. The rest was a response to an amalgam of posts, a mini-rant if you will.

It astonishes me that people who are blessed to be able to afford to cruise get so worked up over sharing a small amount with those less fortunate. The crew members leave their loved ones for a minimum of six months in the hope of a better life for their families and themselves. They work extremely hard and if I can recognize their efforts as a group in this small way, I'm happy to do it. Going a step further, the joy on their faces when I hand an envelope at cruise end to those who I think have gone above and beyond to provide me with a great experience provides me with a joyful heart as well. They appreciate the money, but being recognized for their efforts means a lot to them as well.

I think more people have an issue with the lack of transparency throughout the industry than they do with workers being paid well. I don't begrudge the workers their pay. I know many of them take pride in jobs well done. And certainly many are deserving of additional gratuity. But none of these cruise lines are exactly up front and honest about these charges. If they were you would not find multiple threads, daily, in all the mainstream line forums on this topic. I believe tipping for services should be based on the quality of those services (expected to be as advertised which means good) and not out of a sense of guilt, which many here play very heavily upon.

All of these companies should put the charges right on the same page as when you book your cabin. No needing to read a contract thoroughly or dig through a FAQ to find a weasel worded marketing spin. Just be upfront and honest and that will eliminate most of these discussions. Then all the cruise lines can focus on providing adequate staff levels and training to ensure that people get the value they are advertised. When they do, even though tipping is discretionary, people will be happy to pay up for the services and not have doubts as to any mismanagement of the funds.