Tropical Storm Joaquin's effect on Breakaway cruise 10/4

Mikkar

The issue is not with Bermuda if your cruise is leaving from New York, it's getting out of New York. I live on the north shore of Long Island, about 20 miles from the port. We just got a phone call from our town letting us know what they have been doing to prepare for the storm, saying it should hit us on Sunday into early Monday. That being said, it has happened before that it is no worse than any other rain storm.

Hopefully the predictions of it hitting NY NJ Monday night are the right ones. I just saw that it would remain over the Bahamas into Friday and so far its been pretty slow. Fingers crossed.

Joaquin (along with other factors) is causing extremely high tides and flooding on the Carolina coast.

Moving north so probably will cause rough seas.

Joaquin may be causing high tides but it's not causing flooding. That flooding is from the same front that all of us from the midwest to the east coast have been experiencing the last few days. Rain from Joaquin isn't even touching Florida, yet.

That said, we sailed through Hurricane Sandy. The stabilizers helped but there was still enough pitching that some folks had problems with seasickness. In the middle of the night we actually were moving along some 40' waves, but by morning we'd gotten down to about 20' waves. Pretty much what you'd find going by any snowstorm in winter.

It's all part of booking such a cruise this time of year. I always thought the uncertainty adds to the excitement. Think of being the only cruise the BA ever took to Canada, how unique.:D

Nope! Don't want to go north. When we were sailing against Hurricane Sandy the ships that went to Bermuda were trying to head that way and they got caught in the hurricane and had to ride it out for a couple of DAYS. At least one broken bone there.

Meanwhile, we were on the Jewel and the Captain went south along the coast. The TV stations called him crazy, but the next day we were travelling along the coast in water no choppier than you'd find from a regular snowstorm. The only damage we had was some broken bottles in the Duty Free.

We got into Port Canaveral on time and had a great cruise!

2 years ago we were on a princess cruise out of port galveston and due to high seas, our ship couldn't get back to port for us to board. When we did get on board, the seas were too high to leave port for the next day. (Very narrow channel getting in and out of there) We were comped The daily room cost as onboard credit for the two lost days, even though we were still on the ship for one of the days. Not sure how NCL handles this.

Edited by Soaperstar

As long as we don't go North ill have a great cruise, but if we do this Canada itinerary ill give my cabin away to anyone who wants it lol.

What type of cabin do you have? Lol

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

As long as we don't go North ill have a great cruise, but if we do this Canada itinerary ill give my cabin away to anyone who wants it lol.

Looks like the storm is tracking right up thru Canada now, so no worries. We are not heading North.

but, what's wrong with Canada? Quebec City is nice with lots of shops and restaurants. Is it because this is the "sun worshipers" beach crowd that the chilly Great White North is undesirable? I had a great steak at Spag&tini - better food than Montreal.

I only ask because I was planning a cruise to Canada next year.

The issue is not with Bermuda if your cruise is leaving from New York, it's getting out of New York. I live on the north shore of Long Island, about 20 miles from the port. We just got a phone call from our town letting us know what they have been doing to prepare for the storm, saying it should hit us on Sunday into early Monday. That being said, it has happened before that it is no worse than any other rain storm.

We can't even get INTO New York. All the flights are delayed or cancelled into all the airports. [emoji37]

Right now it's a little windy and getting some rain here in NY.

I for one LOVE the NE/Canada cruises. I really wanted to be on that one a couple of weeks ago but the costs was just crazy, so I picked Bermuda.

I even looked for NE/Canada for next year and again the prices are crazy high.

I just needed to book something so I didn't lose my deposit which would expire early May '16.

It really doesn't matter to me where we go. I just like being on a ship.

Looks like the storm is tracking right up thru Canada now, so no worries. We are not heading North.

but, what's wrong with Canada? Quebec City is nice with lots of shops and restaurants. Is it because this is the "sun worshipers" beach crowd that the chilly Great White North is undesirable? I had a great steak at Spag&tini - better food than Montreal.

I hate the cold. I'd rather ditch the cruise and drive south, to go to my condo in ocean city MD, than travel north at all. To me Vacation = Warm.

And yes, living in NY i am pretty much miserable all winter long, but work keeps me here for now unfortunately.

Edited by SilentHill

While I'm sympathetic to those who suffer from motion sickness, I can't help but wonder what the effect will be on the beaches. I went to Orient Beach months after a hurricane, and I couldn't believe how devastated the beach was! And about 10 years ago, a storm demolished all the jet skis on Grand Turk, or so a local told me.

The typical Canada cruise from NY does not go to Quebec, it does Halifax and Saint John which are really not that exciting.

Take me to warmth. Blue sky's and sun!!!! Good news Long Island it's off to sea. But can't help but think about how well be AT SEA when it hits. I'm so nervous 😒 how can the possibly avoid this??? The captain that is...

But there was little chance we were going to Quebec.. and no chance Montreal.. When they say Canada.. I am sure they mean St. John, and Halifax.. Been there done those too many times..

I just read this:

For now, Joaquin is expected to pass sufficiently west of Bermuda Sunday to limit any direct impacts.

My concern is that yeah the storm is heading straight up but we need to cross over it. I'm sure the captain will outrun it either by going above it or below it.

Hell, he better not go through it!!! :eek:

It is beginning to look like a smother patch to NE/Canada but won't there be ships in port already? Would they make room for us and welcome us with sweaters/jackets?? :)

Yes, the governor declared that early yesterday but the forecast changed so much since then. Who knows?

The NJ Governor is running for President. Rain is an "emergency."

The airports look fairly good for a stormy day with only a few cancellations which I can see. JFK has 15min delays, LGA 1.75 hours, Newark 1 hour as of right now.

Missing Ship off the Bahamas

MIAMI (AP) — The latest on Joaquin and the storm's predicted path. All times local:

12:01 p.m.

The U.S. Coast Guard is searching for a cargo ship with 33 people aboard that went missing as Category 4 Hurricane Joaquin hit the Bahamas.

Officials said Friday that the 735-foot (224-meter) ship named El Faro was en-route to San Juan, Puerto Rico, from Jacksonville, Florida. They said they received notification that the ship had lost propulsion and was listing at 15 degrees near Crooked Island in the eastern Bahamas.

The Coast Guard said the crew told officials that the ship had taken on water but that they eventually contained the flooding.

Officials said rescue crews had not been able to re-establish communications with the crew on Thursday or Friday.

___

We're booked on the Breakaway to Bermuda leaving this Sunday and this storm has me a little concerned. I'm hoping that the seas won't be too rough on the way to Bermuda and I hope the stabilizers keep the ship from rocking too much. Has anyone here sailed through a tropical storm? Do you think they will try to sail around it as much as possible?

Don't worry too much, The Captain wants to keep everyone and his ship safe,

you could have a little bit of a bumpy ride,but you will be fine. enjoy your cruise :)

We really like Quebec City. We were on a cruise out of there about 3 years ago, great place to start of end a cruise. A New ENgland/Canada cruise for next Oct is on our top tier of possiblities.