Tropical Storm Joaquin's effect on Breakaway cruise 10/4

Mikkar

What is the possibility that this cruise will be cancelled?

Welcome to CC. They don't cancel cruises over many storms, Cat 1 storms I would think never. Now is there a chance weekend cruises could be effected with either itinerary changes or a delay in boarding? Yes but this storm seems to be all over the place and a clear picture has not been predicted. NCL can not tell people what they will do until they know what the weather will be.

The captain will not put the ship and its passengers in harms way. A ship is safer at sea than in port. In fact ports do close to protect themselves during bad storms.

NCL wants to make money and if a ship didn't cruise or was damaged in a storm it costs big bucks so they avoid that.

We're on the 10/4 Breakaway sailing as well - and bringing a first-time cruiser with us. Right now it seems like there are a lot of if's about this storm, but that's what happens in hurricane season! I've sailed through some weather, around some weather, and thanks to Gonzalo, last year our Bermuda cruise went to Very Northern Bermuda (better known as Canada!). Pack your Bonine, some Ginger tabs, a jacket and a rain poncho JUST in case.

N

Remember, they don't want to endanger the passengers or the ship, and while they're navigating to wherever we end up, we'll still be fed, entertained and not at work. And we'll have a story to tell!

I wish there was a "LIKE" button on this forum! Very well said!

I'm on the 10/4 sailing to Bermuda, too.

If they do divert us, would they tell us before we leave, or after the ship has departed? And would they offer some shore excursions at the new port(s)? What's more likely, Canada or Bahamas? Trying to decide what to pack. We leave Friday morning.

I wonder if this week's cruise will get back to NY early.

I'd encourage others on that sailing to check out the roll call, if you haven't already. Lots of people coming to the meet & greet.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2101171

We were crusing a few years ago to Bermuda during hurricane season. There were four ships leaving for that area on that day out of NYC.

As we were waiting in line to get processed, they handed out flyers with our new destination due to the weather. We ended up with Cape Canaveral, private island and Bahamas.

There were a few couples on board who had plans of weddings in Bermuda and were traveling with their families. They were very upset. One of the ships went up to Canada for the week, another went to the Caribbean islands and the last one actually went to Bermuda with little issues.

Contract states they can do this. There were people from Canada who thought they were going to Bermuda and their ship ended up going to Canada.

You never know where you will end up if the weather throws a curve.:eek:

CarolinaMamma - last year our cruise was on Royal, and they did email us - I believe- the day before to let us know the itinerary had been changed to Canada. We were already on the road and didn't have a smartphone so found out when we got there. Most everyone we spoke to took it in stride - even the folks we had lunch with who drove to NJ from Halifax! (I love Canada, so we had a great cruise!)

So tell me, where did you go in Canada and what did you do?

I ask this mostly to figure out what to pack and maybe what ports to research. We leave for NY Friday morning, so I have to pack tomorrow, and we probably won't know anything for sure by then.

I'm assuming NCL will refund money for shore excursions if they have to divert. And we have trip insurance, which will help in case anything really bad happens.

We will have a blast no matter what. I am just focused on what to pack right now, planning for all contingencies, while trying to stay under the baggage weight limit for the airline!

As far as notification, it all depends on when they make a decision, which all depends on confidence in the weather forecast.

Right now, the most likely track has the storm hitting NJ Sunday Night and heading north. If the storm does that I could see either a delayed departure once it passes NYC or (depending on storm force and size) a path straight south with a quick run through the waves. We did option 2 on a Disney cruise to get back into port during Irene. Not a great 4 hours, but that was the worst of it.

Note that tidal surges could affect their ability to enter/exit port (not a lot of bridge clearance.

I'm more concerned about them keeping the Breakaway away from NY depending on where the storm goes. The national weather service has exactly zero confidence in a forecast track so this really is wait and see for all of us. They've talked about it hitting both the Carolinas AND Bermuda in the last 24 hours and both are not really possible. Was also supposed to be in NY Saturday and its already slowed down a day. I'm not going to worry - one way or another, I'm on vacation next week and I'll sit on the cruise ship in NYC for all I care :)

Can I ask where you saw it might hit Bermuda? My daughter is there now.

What is the possibility that this cruise will be cancelled?

Very rare, they might make changes or delays but there pretty flexible as they can sail away from the storm. Might no be your original itinerary or length but they'll give you a cruise.

We got off of the Breakaway this past Sunday, 9/27, and we were rocking away. We did not hit a storm the Captain said there was low pressure coming from the north which caused the white caps and 11 foot waves. We hit this low pressure the first night sailing right until Tuesday morning and again coming home on Saturday. All of the outside decks were closed on Saturday. The Captain announced a few times that he was activating the stabilizers and to please hold on to the hand rails. Yep, it was bad and no hurricane in sight. Guest Services has motion sickness pills if you need them. Our friend went to see the medic for a quick fix for his dizziness and it would have cost $148 for this quick fix. He said never mind - the nurse told him to take the pills every 4 hours and don't watch TV or stare at thngs. Get fresh air and look at the horizon. He was fine after that.

Have a safe trip everyone - the Breakaway is amazing and Bermuda is beautiful.

I'm on the 10/4 sailing to Bermuda, too.

If they do divert us, would they tell us before we leave, or after the ship has departed? And would they offer some shore excursions at the new port(s)? What's more likely, Canada or Bahamas? Trying to decide what to pack. We leave Friday morning.

I wonder if this week's cruise will get back to NY early.

I'd encourage others on that sailing to check out the roll call, if you haven't already. Lots of people coming to the meet & greet.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2101171

As of right now Bermuda is your best bet. Right now there predicting the storm to come up the coast and be near NY by Monday, the Breakaway will be long gone.

Funny story….. A few weeks ago we took the Dawn out of Boston to Bermuda and when we left we read that they had changed the itinerary for the Gem from Florida-Bahamas to Bermuda due to an impending storm coming up the coast. While on the Dawn the Capt. told us the weather improved and the Gem wound up doing its original itinerary of Florida and Bahamas.

i would agree that you MAY have some rocky sailing, but hopefully you would not be re routed as Bermuda is beautiful. This is the main reason that we, and those we speak to about cruises, encourage a trip not in September or October to that area, even though prices are usually cheaper, due to hurricane season at its peak. Had family that lived in St Croix VI for many years and lived through during Hurricane Hugo, as they said-- the tropics can be " paradise" , and beautiful, but sometimes NOT.

i would agree that you MAY have some rocky sailing, but hopefully you would not be re routed as Bermuda is beautiful. This is the main reason that we, and those we speak to about cruises, encourage a trip not in September or October to that area, even though prices are usually cheaper, due to hurricane season at its peak. Had family that lived in St Croix VI for many years and lived through during Hurricane Hugo, as they said-- the tropics can be " paradise" , and beautiful, but sometimes NOT.

All true but hurricanes are rare for Bermuda, the happen but not often so its a better bet than the Caribbean during hurricane season.

All true but hurricanes are rare for Bermuda, the happen but not often so its a better bet than the Caribbean during hurricane season.

No, not quite!!!

We are just a tiny island in middle of ocean and have received direct hits about 8 or 9 times since 2003. Last year Oct 2014 we had 2 in less than one single week (Fay on the Saturday night and Gonzalo on the Friday).

Not rare. Keep in mind that Caribbean covers large area with many islands and hurricanes rarely hit the same one island as often as we are hit. Same with the long east coast of the US.

We also receive numerous near hits and brush-bys.

Bermuda usually recover well from each hit, I'm happy to say. Life goes on here.

Thursday, 0700 ET Update:

Hurricane Joaquin remains a Category 3 storm with maximum sustained winds of 120 kilometers per hour, the National Hurricane Center said in its latest advisory. A Hurricane Warning remains in effect for central Bahamas, northwestern Bahamas and islands in the southeastern Bahamas, said the advisory. "Some strengthening is forecast in the next day or so, with some fluctuations in intensity possible on Friday," said the advisory. The storm is expected to affect portions of the southeastern coast of the United States today, and to spread north through the weekend, bringing dangerous surf and rip current conditions. A storm surge is expected to raise water levels in the Bahamas by up to eight feet above normal levels later Thursday. The next advisory is scheduled for 11 a.m. Eastern.

I as well am booked and am worried. If we do leave how

Rough will the seas be??? I've been in over 30 cruises I hate the rocking lol. Also it's our friends first cruise. I am praying to god this is smoothe seas with good weather. I guess worse case we leave after the storm hits... Stay away Joaquin. We all wanna go on vacation!!!!

For the labour day long weekend cruise we did not know where we were heading Eastern or Western Caribbean because of Erika .we were in the terminal when they announced a last minute change from western back to Eastern .the first night was slightly rocky but after that gorgeous weather and very calm seas ...gorgeous cruise

So do not worry ...captains are amazing in avoiding bad weather and NCL will not take chances with their beautiful ships their guests or crews

I was expecting the worse and got the best ...win win

Relax wait and see it will be fine

During Sandy the Gem was denied entry to NY and went to Boston one night, got off in NYC 4 days late. The following 9 day cruise was canceled and a 5 day Bermuda cruise was inserted, with passengers on board allowed an inside cabin for taxes and port fees only. About half had gotten off in Boston, few wanted to spend 5 more days on a 9 day cruise which had already been 13 days. The elevators were not used for 36 hours, so getting to the buffet from the 4th deck was not fun. But NCL fed us and entertained us those 4 extra days plus there was no service charge those last 4 days. The waves had been so high that the anchor was constantly banged against the hull, causing a loud boom through the ship. Would love to do it all again.

Will ncl let us cancel and book the following week???? I do not want to be in a boat that is rocky like they say. I mean if this goes out to sea like they are hoping we will be AT SEA. Ughhhhhhh

Will they let you cancel? Yes. Will they refund your money? No, except for maybe a few bucks for taxes and fees. You would need to go through your travel insurance policy if you have one.

So tell me, where did you go in Canada and what did you do?

Hi Carolinamama -I'm sorry I didn't reply sooner, but I had to work - sigh. Must support the cruise habit somehow! ;)

Our experience was with Royal Caribbean, but they had the regular Canadian Shore excursions for Halifax and St John set up by the time we got on board. Since they gave us some OBC because of the itinerary change, we just booked through the ship. We did a St John highlights tour (I'm somewhat mobility challenged so I like bus stuff!) and walked a bit (it's fairly small) and in Halifax we did a tour that went to Peggy's Cove (beautiful!) and the Titanic cemetery. The tour folks said that they had called in every available person and even pulled some from other cities to be ready for the surprise ship!

As for packing, I usually throw in a longer sleeved shirt and bring a jacket and rain poncho anyway. Since I'm of an age and a Northern Gal, I tend to be most comfortable in cooler weather so it's not a problem. Just bring a layer or two and it should be ok. Look like they're in the 50's & 60's in Canada (which is WONDERFUL for me! :D )

It's been interesting following the hurricane's path, and the Bermuda weather doesn't look great for next week. But, such is life. We take the same kind of risk with a land vacation - it could rain or snow (although it doesn't rock - but there's meds for that! ;) ). Safe travels to all who are heading to NY this weekend (I get to brave Amtrak first...)! See you on board!

No changes as of yet. Spoke to ncl. Anxious to know what's going on...

Since the track of the storm has changed three times in three days, NCL may not make a decision until the day of departure, if they have to make a change at all.

Edited by Seanote

Oh ok... That's a little annoying lol. Guess I'll pack chilly clothes. Here you are thinking your going to sunny Bermuda and who knows where we will end up... It even if we'll leave Sunday for that matter? I'm sure there's a chance breakaway will be delayed back into Ny. What do u guys think???

No, not quite!!!

We are just a tiny island in middle of ocean and have received direct hits about 8 or 9 times since 2003. Last year Oct 2014 we had 2 in less than one single week (Fay on the Saturday night and Gonzalo on the Friday).

Not rare. Keep in mind that Caribbean covers large area with many islands and hurricanes rarely hit the same one island as often as we are hit. Same with the long east coast of the US.

We also receive numerous near hits and brush-bys.

Bermuda usually recover well from each hit, I'm happy to say. Life goes on here.

I know you were hit really hard in 2014 and With all your preparation and your strong infrastructure you guys really fare the storms well, don't you?

I have always been told by locals that hurricanes are rare in Bermuda and I just read this last night which is why I posted that I thought they were rare. Goes to show you can't believe everything you read.

http://www.bermuda4u.com/essential/climate/hurricanes/