Tropical Storm Joaquin's effect on Breakaway cruise 10/4

Mikkar

We're booked on the Breakaway to Bermuda leaving this Sunday and this storm has me a little concerned. I'm hoping that the seas won't be too rough on the way to Bermuda and I hope the stabilizers keep the ship from rocking too much. Has anyone here sailed through a tropical storm? Do you think they will try to sail around it as much as possible?

We sailed in hurricane Wilma. The captain was able to take us around the storm and had some rough seas going out but woke up to beautiful weather the next morning and perfect for the entire cruise. Looks like this one is going between the states and Bermuda still early...fingers crossed.

The caption will not take the ship to a place if he doesn't think the ship can handle it. Hopefully by the time you leave the seas would have calmed down. Another option I have seen done is to delay sailing until the seas calm down. They could stay in NY and leave on Monday and still arrive in Bermuda on time. (they really only need a day and a half to get to Bermuda) The storm is heading north so Canada might not even be an option. Another thought is that by Sunday the storm could be gone or not in the way of the Breakaway's path. One more thought… Maybe the Captain won't be able to sail her home to NY on Sunday if the storm heads to land they may close the port of NY. My daughter is on her her way to Bermuda now and due back into NY on Sunday so Im also watching the storm pretty close. Good luck an relax, things will work out.

We are leaving on the Getaway this Saturday, but have had the same concerns re: the storm and our ability to fly into FL (from CT) without issue on Friday:confused:

I'm hoping the brunt of the storm will hit us before the weekend and we will all have safe, uneventful travels. Enjoy your cruise!

The caption will not take the ship to a place if he doesn't think the ship can handle it. Hopefully by the time you leave the seas would have calmed down. Another option I have seen done is to delay sailing until the seas calm down. They could stay in NY and leave on Monday and still arrive in Bermuda on time. (they really only need a day and a half to get to Bermuda) The storm is heading north so Canada might not even be an option. Another thought is that by Sunday the storm could be gone or not in the way of the Breakaway's path. One more thought… Maybe the Captain won't be able to sail her home to NY on Sunday if the storm heads to land they may close the port of NY. My daughter is on her her way to Bermuda now and due back into NY on Sunday so Im also watching the storm pretty close. Good luck an relax, things will work out.

Ok, Great I am on the gem on Saturday going to Canada, where do you think they will send me? lol

I'm more concerned about them keeping the Breakaway away from NY depending on where the storm goes. The national weather service has exactly zero confidence in a forecast track so this really is wait and see for all of us. They've talked about it hitting both the Carolinas AND Bermuda in the last 24 hours and both are not really possible. Was also supposed to be in NY Saturday and its already slowed down a day. I'm not going to worry - one way or another, I'm on vacation next week and I'll sit on the cruise ship in NYC for all I care :)

We are leaving on the Getaway this Saturday, but have had the same concerns re: the storm and our ability to fly into FL (from CT) without issue on Friday:confused:

I'm hoping the brunt of the storm will hit us before the weekend and we will all have safe, uneventful travels. Enjoy your cruise!

We're flying out of CT Friday morning too (6AM) to sail away at 5PM on the Sky...

Here's hoping the storm won't affect any of us!!!! :eek:

Good luck everyone!

We sailed in hurricane Wilma. The captain was able to take us around the storm and had some rough seas going out but woke up to beautiful weather the next morning and perfect for the entire cruise. Looks like this one is going between the states and Bermuda still early...fingers crossed.

Wow! Thanks for the memories. In 2005 when I sailed on the Star Princess the ship took off during muster drill which had been bumped up because we needed to leave FLL before the port closed. The pilot said he was going to leave if the ships didn't leave at that moment. We headed out with TS Alpha coming up the Bahamas straits and Wilma coming in from the West. We had some rough seas the first night and rain but the next day we were fine and going absolutely no where. We were supposed to go West but ended up with a San Juan extended stay and St. Thomas port call and the private island I think.

To the OP: Cruise lines always have contingency plans. You'll likely end up heading north to Canada so make sure you balance out your clothing with some jeans and hoodies. Try to enjoy whatever Mother Nature does to your vacation!

Sadly right now the storm is heading right of the northeast. We should have a better idea by Friday. Where ever the storm goes it is likely to create some pretty good seas and swells, but the new vessels have pretty good stabilizers systems and it should reduce rolling pretty well. The Master will already have some plans as to what he will do, depending on what Joaquin does.

http://resize-ak.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/resize?filename=/data/images/at201511_5day.gif&width=150&height=113&v=2

As another poster mentioned all lines of contingency plans and right now (subject to change) going north toward Nova Scotia maybe the best route.

If Joaquin hooks to the northeast there is a chance the vessel could slip south and pass east under the storm to Bermuda.

Keep in contact with NCL for updates.

Time will tell.

AKK

AKK

Edited by Tonka's Skipper

I'm on the 10/4 sailing to Bermuda, too.

If they do divert us, would they tell us before we leave, or after the ship has departed? And would they offer some shore excursions at the new port(s)? What's more likely, Canada or Bahamas? Trying to decide what to pack. We leave Friday morning.

I wonder if this week's cruise will get back to NY early.

I'd encourage others on that sailing to check out the roll call, if you haven't already. Lots of people coming to the meet & greet.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2101171

We're on the 10/4 Breakaway sailing as well - and bringing a first-time cruiser with us. Right now it seems like there are a lot of if's about this storm, but that's what happens in hurricane season! I've sailed through some weather, around some weather, and thanks to Gonzalo, last year our Bermuda cruise went to Very Northern Bermuda (better known as Canada!). Pack your Bonine, some Ginger tabs, a jacket and a rain poncho JUST in case.

N

Remember, they don't want to endanger the passengers or the ship, and while they're navigating to wherever we end up, we'll still be fed, entertained and not at work. And we'll have a story to tell!

CarolinaMamma - last year our cruise was on Royal, and they did email us - I believe- the day before to let us know the itinerary had been changed to Canada. We were already on the road and didn't have a smartphone so found out when we got there. Most everyone we spoke to took it in stride - even the folks we had lunch with who drove to NJ from Halifax! (I love Canada, so we had a great cruise!)

We're booked on the Breakaway to Bermuda leaving this Sunday and this storm has me a little concerned. I'm hoping that the seas won't be too rough on the way to Bermuda and I hope the stabilizers keep the ship from rocking too much. Has anyone here sailed through a tropical storm? Do you think they will try to sail around it as much as possible?

What is the possibility that this cruise will be cancelled?

Oh no, I hadn't considered that the ship might not be able to get back to NY on Sunday! Oh well, we'll just have to wait and see. I'll have my sea bands and Dramamine packed just in case.

Does anyone have any website (other than the normal national weather service) to get updates on this and future storms.

Planning in advance, we are on a cruise leaving on 10/10 and I would be interest to start looking next week to see if anything might develop out there

There is virtually no possibility that they will cancel entirely. You have to remember that they have a ship full of passengers that they need to drop off in NYC before you board, so even if the port were to close for a day or two, they would just ride out the storm in safer waters and embark when the port reopened.

Very close to zero chance that it will be cancelled. During Hurricane Sandy we stayed at the dock two extra days. The ship behind was supposed to go back to NY, but instead everyone got off in Boston and either flewchome from there it were bussed back to NY. All the new passengers were bussed to Boston from NY.

As a side note, the amount of behind the scenes work it takes to rearrange all those people traveling and to provision a ship in an unplanned port must be daunting for the cruise company. I know they have planned for these contingencies but it is still a lot of work.