UBER is back in Ft Lauderdale

royalcruz

Yes, I think that's what it was called. Where the taxi is the same for the car or van

I should have added the cost

Regular cab/van from fill to port 14.50 +/-

Uber in the middle size was 21.00$+

So, for 2 uber seems to be about like a taxi in cost for short trips where you use the regular car

For 4 its more

I did read where the cost from fll to pom was about 20$ less than a cab but then that's the regular car, not big enough for 4 with luggage

Edited by setsail

Going to Port Everglades from Cambria Beach hotel end of November.

Was going to use hotel shuttle, then decided taxi was almost the same cost so decided on that. $14 - $19 approx.

Wondering if using Uber would be better? A bit worried about problems with Uber dropping us off at cruiseport.

Would appreciate input.

We have 2 people with luggage. However, may consider going with our friends if car/van? is big enough - 4 people and luggage.

Tx

We just got UBER in the city near me, although I wont be using it here.

I did sign up so I can use it for our next cruise. Will I be able to use this code in February ? Now to figure out how to use it LOL

It's really easy! Once you download the app, it tells you what to do. Yes, the code will work in February.

Going to Port Everglades from Cambria Beach hotel end of November.

Was going to use hotel shuttle, then decided taxi was almost the same cost so decided on that. $14 - $19 approx.

Wondering if using Uber would be better? A bit worried about problems with Uber dropping us off at cruiseport.

Would appreciate input.

We have 2 people with luggage. However, may consider going with our friends if car/van? is big enough - 4 people and luggage.

Tx

Uber is cheaper, much cleaner, and a much better experience than a cab.

Your Uber driver will not be on his telephone and the car will be very clean.

Greatest thing about Uber is that it has forced the cab industry to step their game up. Apps, cleaner/newer vechicles, better service etc.

The problem with Uber deals with insurance. You are literally taking a risk every time you drive with them. Read the fine print . . . if you get into an accident while driving with Uber . . . good luck figuring out who is liable . . . you'll have better luck filing suit against the County than Uber and insurances have built in provisions against regular drivers working for Uber.

Where as taking a cab/shuttle, there is commercial insurance required by law and drivers have the "hack" license to be insured by these companies.

They all can co exist, but Uber needs to stop skating by the regulations in hopes that nothing is going to happen . . . because everytime something does happen, it's a big deal and most people don't hear about it until it happens to them.

And prices have gone up in areas around the country where Uber has become a staple, so that is a concern as well. Worse kind of company . . . but as long as people continue wanting to work for them why stop. People thinking they can do it full time are quickly realizing you make no money.

Edited by kdawg954

Greatest thing about Uber is that it has forced the cab industry to step their game up. Apps, cleaner/newer vechicles, better service etc.

The problem with Uber deals with insurance. You are literally taking a risk every time you drive with them. Read the fine print . . . if you get into an accident while driving with Uber . . . good luck figuring out who is liable . . . you'll have better luck filing suit against the County than Uber and insurances have built in provisions against regular drivers working for Uber.

Where as taking a cab/shuttle, there is commercial insurance required by law and drivers have the "hack" license to be insured by these companies.

They all can co exist, but Uber needs to stop skating by the regulations in hopes that nothing is going to happen . . . because everytime something does happen, it's a big deal and most people don't hear about it until it happens to them.

And prices have gone up in areas around the country where Uber has become a staple, so that is a concern as well. Worse kind of company . . . but as long as people continue wanting to work for them why stop. People thinking they can do it full time are quickly realizing you make no money.

I don't think the insurance statement is accurate. Passengers are covered. Source: http://www.forbes.com/sites/ellenhuet/2015/07/01/new-laws-push-uber-and-lyft-to-bump-up-insurance-coverage-but-a-collision-gap-remains/

Uber is very slick in their business practices. They do not consider their drivers "Uber employees" and their wordings always leave a gray area so they can determine what situations should dictate coverage. When you accept an Uber . . . this is what you are agreeing to:

DISCLAIMER.

THE SERVICES ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" AND "AS AVAILABLE." UBER DISCLAIMS ALL REPRESENTATIONS AND WARRANTIES, EXPRESS, IMPLIED, OR STATUTORY, NOT EXPRESSLY SET OUT IN THESE TERMS, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NON-INFRINGEMENT. IN ADDITION, UBER MAKES NO REPRESENTATION, WARRANTY, OR GUARANTEE REGARDING THE RELIABILITY, TIMELINESS, QUALITY, SUITABILITY, OR AVAILABILITY OF THE SERVICES OR ANY SERVICES OR GOODS REQUESTED THROUGH THE USE OF THE SERVICES, OR THAT THE SERVICES WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED OR ERROR-FREE. UBER DOES NOT GUARANTEE THE QUALITY, SUITABILITY, SAFETY OR ABILITY OF THIRD PARTY PROVIDERS. YOU AGREE THAT THE ENTIRE RISK ARISING OUT OF YOUR USE OF THE SERVICES, AND ANY SERVICE OR GOOD REQUESTED IN CONNECTION THEREWITH, REMAINS SOLELY WITH YOU, TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED UNDER APPLICABLE LAW.

The battle Uber has with states is often in regards to them not having the insurance requirements that taxi's, shuttles and limo services have . . . in addition to entry level background checks on drivers. While Uber claims to have 1 million in commercial insurance for passengers . . . their wording leaves it up to their disgression to determine fault and they have been to court throughout the country battling cases that they deem themselves "not liable".

It's a good service, but on vacation, if you want a true peace of mind, I suggest sticking with some of the reputable shuttle options or even spend a little more for a taxi to have that piece of mind . . . at least until Florida government steps in and enforces and re does the insurance requirements for all transportation options (which should be early next year).

Uber is very slick in their business practices. They do not consider their drivers "Uber employees" and their wordings always leave a gray area so they can determine what situations should dictate coverage. When you accept an Uber . . . this is what you are agreeing to:

DISCLAIMER.

THE SERVICES ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" AND "AS AVAILABLE." UBER DISCLAIMS ALL REPRESENTATIONS AND WARRANTIES, EXPRESS, IMPLIED, OR STATUTORY, NOT EXPRESSLY SET OUT IN THESE TERMS, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NON-INFRINGEMENT. IN ADDITION, UBER MAKES NO REPRESENTATION, WARRANTY, OR GUARANTEE REGARDING THE RELIABILITY, TIMELINESS, QUALITY, SUITABILITY, OR AVAILABILITY OF THE SERVICES OR ANY SERVICES OR GOODS REQUESTED THROUGH THE USE OF THE SERVICES, OR THAT THE SERVICES WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED OR ERROR-FREE. UBER DOES NOT GUARANTEE THE QUALITY, SUITABILITY, SAFETY OR ABILITY OF THIRD PARTY PROVIDERS. YOU AGREE THAT THE ENTIRE RISK ARISING OUT OF YOUR USE OF THE SERVICES, AND ANY SERVICE OR GOOD REQUESTED IN CONNECTION THEREWITH, REMAINS SOLELY WITH YOU, TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED UNDER APPLICABLE LAW.

The battle Uber has with states is often in regards to them not having the insurance requirements that taxi's, shuttles and limo services have . . . in addition to entry level background checks on drivers. While Uber claims to have 1 million in commercial insurance for passengers . . . their wording leaves it up to their disgression to determine fault and they have been to court throughout the country battling cases that they deem themselves "not liable".

It's a good service, but on vacation, if you want a true peace of mind, I suggest sticking with some of the reputable shuttle options or even spend a little more for a taxi to have that piece of mind . . . at least until Florida government steps in and enforces and re does the insurance requirements for all transportation options (which should be early next year).

You are correct that the drivers are not employees, but are independent contractors. You're also correct that Uber is attempting to limit its exposure by the terms of service. However, in the insurance coverage that is discussed in the link I shared, those drivers are the insured, not the company. The insurance kicks in to cover the liability of the driver, not Uber. That is to say, if the driver causes an accident and the passenger is injured, that is covered by the policy. It has nothing to do with what Uber says about its own liability.

We used Uber for the first time a few weeks ago and I may never go back to taxi's. This was our fare for two people to go from our 17th St. Hotel to Port Everglades:

Base Fare 1.00

Distance 1.49

Time 1.68

Subtotal $4.17

Safe Rides Fee (?) 1.70

CHARGED

$5.87

The driver arrived in a few minutes, he was very nice, and the car was clean. They say that tipping is included, but I gave him a few dollars since the trip was so short. The driver removed the U sticker from his window and asked me to sit in the front seat. He was worried that port workers and/or taxi drivers may give him a hard time if they knew he was Uber.

The past issues with Uber insurance (and what some have read in the press) came out of at least one case where the question was whether or not an Uber driver is covered by the Uber blanket policy when not carrying a paying passenger. My facts may be off, but the case I recall involved a driver in San Francisco who hit a pedestrian while either logged on to Uber and waiting for a fare or in the process of picking up a fare. Uber insurance denied the claim and a further lawsuit was filed. This case spawned a change in law in California that required Uber to modify its insurance.

If an Uber driver's own policy denies coverage, then the blanket would cover for injured passengers in an accident. I would imagine that most individual auto policies will or do have exclusions for coverage in Uber or other for hire related accidents. I always though this might bring an end to these services since the companies rely on the driver's insurance as primary insurance. Coverage for an individual driver would likely make driving less than profitable.

As for this post, very glad to hear as I use Uber and Lyft whenever necessary and will be in FLL next month!

The past issues with Uber insurance (and what some have read in the press) came out of at least one case where the question was whether or not an Uber driver is covered by the Uber blanket policy when not carrying a paying passenger. My facts may be off, but the case I recall involved a driver in San Francisco who hit a pedestrian while either logged on to Uber and waiting for a fare or in the process of picking up a fare. Uber insurance denied the claim and a further lawsuit was filed. This case spawned a change in law in California that required Uber to modify its insurance.

If an Uber driver's own policy denies coverage, then the blanket would cover for injured passengers in an accident. I would imagine that most individual auto policies will or do have exclusions for coverage in Uber or other for hire related accidents. I always though this might bring an end to these services since the companies rely on the driver's insurance as primary insurance. Coverage for an individual driver would likely make driving less than profitable.

As for this post, very glad to hear as I use Uber and Lyft whenever necessary and will be in FLL next month!

Thanks lawgeek. This is my understanding as well. I also understand that they haven ow made the policy primary. Although in the end, that matters more to the drivers than it does the passengers. I think people were not only scared by the coverage of those scenarios, but also confused by the disclaimer of corporate liability. My interest in Uber is merely as a consumer who has enjoys using it, but I don't want others to be discouraged from trying it based on false information.

It's really easy! Once you download the app, it tells you what to do. Yes, the code will work in February.

Uber is cheaper, much cleaner, and a much better experience than a cab.

Your Uber driver will not be on his telephone and the car will be very clean.

Also the Uber driver will not be forcing fire & brimstone religion down your throat on the radio like the taxi drivers do!

Sorry, blame this rant on getting up at 3:00 Am in Fort Lauderdale and now sitting here loopy and cold in MA. lol

Reader

Edited by Reader0108598

Going from Cambria Suites, Dania Suites, to port. Does anyone know cost of this trip?

We are a party of 2, but our friends have 4 or 6 people plus luggage. Would they need Uber XL?

Thanks!

Barbara