Little French key lunch or no lunch

racheltineo

We are doing the little French key excursion when we visit island raoton.

My question is should I do the tour w lunch or without? We are trying to be as budget friendly as possible.. The without lunch tour is $33 cheaper.. But.. Would we be able to go back to the ship for lunch and possibly return for a little bit, or hold off, or would that be a hassle? I want to budget friendly but I always want to have the best time possible

Eat a good breakfast, carry some snacks with you like granola bars or peanut butter/ cheese cracker packages (bring these from home) and then return to the ship while the lunch buffet and other venues are still open.

If you are seriously budget constrained, you might consider just hanging out at MBCC's beach. Yes it's not a pretty as LFK or the popular west Bay beaches, and yes it will be a bit crowded. But it is free and you can get reasonably priced food and drink there or come and go off the ship as you please.

Hmmm crewsweeper, that's an option.. free you say? Is LFK that much better to justify $110 to go? If the free beach is nice as well we may consider that

Never been to LFK, but have docked at MB several times....and always opted for a $20-25pp taxi (return included) to West Bay Beach where the water is warm and the snokeling unequaled. Beach chairs $10 (not required) and a variety of reasonable lunch venues.

MB is okay, but it doesn't match up well with the 'natural' beaches available on Roatan.

Hmmm crewsweeper, that's an option.. free you say? Is LFK that much better to justify $110 to go? If the free beach is nice as well we may consider that

If you are not fixed on Little French Key, Bananarama on West Bay Beach has a very budget friendly day pass with transport.

http://bananarama.com/activities/cruiseship-packages/

By the by ~ if you ship docks in Coxen Hole, getting into Mahogany Bay is a challenge. Or I have heard reports that is it.

Edited by Guest 2000

How can I find out what port I'll be at..will it say on the itinerary?

If you are on a Carnival ship you will dock at Mahogany Bay.

Check it out here...http://www.mahoganybaycc.com/

Edited by thinfool

Thank you for all of the info, this forum is great. I don't want to cheap out so much we have a bad time, but if I can reduce this almost $200 excursion to something less expensive and comparable, that would be a great comfort for us! Our standards are not high, and I can have fun no matter what.

Edited by racheltineo

racheltineo .... Your signature has you sailing on Carnival Valor so you will be docked at Mahogany Bay.

If you really want to save money, you could simply go to the beach right there in the secured terminal area.

There is no cost to use the beach or the beach/lounge chairs. No need for a taxi. Easy to go back to the ship for lunch.

If you are not interested in snorkeling, the Mahogany Bay beach is good for a beach day -- decent beach and extremely convenient.

LuLu

racheltineo .... Your signature has you sailing on Carnival Valor so you will be docked at Mahogany Bay.

If you really want to save money, you could simply go to the beach right there in the secured terminal area.

There is no cost to use the beach or the beach/lounge chairs. No need for a taxi. Easy to go back to the ship for lunch.

If you are not interested in snorkeling, the Mahogany Bay beach is good for a beach day -- decent beach and extremely convenient.

LuLu

That sounds really nice, but I don't want to miss LFK if its that much better.. I'm.so torn.. What should we do?? Lfk or free beach ??

You really can't compare a day at LFK with a day at MB - it's like comparing a duck to a moose. LFK is incredibly beautiful and very special - even to those of us who lived on Roatan for 4 years (like I did). If you have to cut back on something, forego lunch BUT go to LFK. You should google both MB and LFK and you will see what I mean.

You really can't compare a day at LFK with a day at MB - it's like comparing a duck to a moose. LFK is incredibly beautiful and very special - even to those of us who lived on Roatan for 4 years (like I did). If you have to cut back on something, forego lunch BUT go to LFK. You should google both MB and LFK and you will see what I mean.

Thanks diva! This exactly what we're doing ☺😊

Are there any shaded areas at LFK?

There are many areas with loungers, some on the shoreline, some can be moved a few feet back into shade.

This is a very small island and you can walk around it in maybe 15 minutes. It's amazing how many people just stay near the same spot where the transfer boat drops them off.

LFK outshines Mahogany Bay like a diamond to glass. Tabyana Beach is another excellent excursion that beats out Mahogany Bay.

Edited by evandbob

We went to Little French Key for the first time last year and will go any time we are at this port! This is a place I would save up and go if possible. Our time there was much too short last time...darn ship time!!! There are all sorts of options where to sit...sun...no sun... and they have all sorts of fun toys to play with at no cost. I fell in love with the stand up paddle board...I am sure there is a proper name for it...and my 60 yr old husband had fun on the rope swing! The lunch was quite yummy, but if needed I would eat a big breakfast and take snacks if needed not to miss this place. I was a bit hesitant about the price last year but it was well worth the money. I have a pic on my desk at work of us here that I look at when I need a mental escape for a minute or two. They have some rescue animals that are fun to look at as well. I have read that some folks were not happy if it was very crowded, but when we went last Feb, it wasn't crowded at all. I guess you could see how many other ships were in port at the same time to guage how crowded it could be.

• 2 weeks later...

Absolutely not!! Worse excursion in 15 cruises. The three of us wasted $303 going to Little French Key. Read the trip advisor reviews from the terrible rating.

Edited by annabell08

Since this was about LFK, thought I would post question here and not start a new one.

We are debating between this one and Pirates of the Caribbean. Obviously, Pirates is cheaper.

I see LFK uses Pirates for zip and beach. Is it the extremely extreme?