New app on the eurodam

cruz chic

Possibly a silly question, but do you have to take the onboard internet package to be able to use the app?

These app aren't really apps as we know it - something you download from an app store and install on your device. It is web based and runs on in a web browser, you access it via the ship's wifi (or intranet) and you do not need to pay for an internet package.

I think the NY Times and HAL web sites are also accessible for free via a web browser and the ship/s wifi/intranet. The "app' works the same.

be posted on the tv and be interactive. We don't want smartphones that are distracting. can I just get this on my computer? Why should they remove the service charge that only hurts the crew's livelihood. It should be made harder to remove for all the cheapskates.

Edited by SeaBands

Why can 't this information be posted on the tv and be interactive.
My guess is that this would require a lot more hardware changes. It is supposed to be available on the Koningsdam and gradually retrofitted to other ships.

sorry to off topic but what are the major toilet issues?? :eek:

Is it ship wide or just certain cabins ??

We are suppose to board on Nov 1st

Thanks

We just debarked Sunday and were in Stateroom: 8110. We had no problems with toilets or plumbing. We didn't hear or see of any on our Deck so probably just certain cabins!

We just debarked Sunday and were in Stateroom: 8110. We had no problems with toilets or plumbing. We didn't hear or see of any on our Deck so probably just certain cabins!

Hopefully it is isolated problem & fixed very soon

sorry to off topic but what are the major toilet issues?? :eek:

Is it ship wide or just certain cabins ??

We are suppose to board on Nov 1st

Thanks

Not sure if it was just my cabin or others. When the plumber says "we have a major issue here" thats not good. I'm on the starboard side deck 5. My toilet has flushed for two days now. I hear others are having air conditioning problems. It makes me sad. Of the three ships I've sailed on this year I've had a/c and or plumbing problems to some degree on all of them.

Not sure if it was just my cabin or others. When the plumber says "we have a major issue here" thats not good. I'm on the starboard side deck 5. My toilet has flushed for two days now. I hear others are having air conditioning problems. It makes me sad. Of the three ships I've sailed on this year I've had a/c and or plumbing problems to some degree on all of them.

That does not sound good ..:eek:

we are on deck 5 starboard

in between the aft & mid ship elevator banks

I hope the problem is fixed soon

thanks for the heads up

be posted on the tv and be interactive. We don't want smartphones that are distracting. can I just get this on my computer?

As I explained (or tried to) it is not an app on a smart phone but web based using the wifi/intranet. With a laptop if you open up a web browser you should have the same access to it - though I don't know if they would have created a version for larger computer screens vs the small screens on smart phones.

Edited by Boytjie

These app aren't really apps as we know it - something you download from an app store and install on your device. It is web based and runs on in a web browser, you access it via the ship's wifi (or intranet) and you do not need to pay for an internet package.

Thanks for clarifying this - I'm sure OP had a lot of people searching for the "app" on their smart 'phones and tablets. It is good to have knowledgeable folks like you on this Forum - thanks again.

Thanks for clarifying this - I'm sure OP had a lot of people searching for the "app" on their smart 'phones and tablets. It is good to have knowledgeable folks like you on this Forum - thanks again.

In defense of the OP, would you have really felt different if she described it as a browser-based, IP captive intranet presentation layer? The first 20 questions would have been, "Is that an app?" ;)

Edited by POA1

In defense of the OP, would you have really felt different if she described it as a browser-based, IP captive intranet presentation layer? The first 20 questions would have been, "Is that an app?" ;)

I agree with you. I think most people who still work are used to Intranets and knew what the OP meant.

Thanks for the update @cruz chic. With the increasing number of people using mobile devices, perhaps HAL has decided to bypass the interactive TV mode and move to something a little more current?

Probably. The good thing is if you don't travel with a smartphone or any other internet-capable device, you can access this intranet app-layer-thingy on one of the onboard computers. So everyone has access to it with minimal hardware work by HAL.

To (be) an app or not an app...

I know from experience that when people posted about the MSC and Princess "apps" on both Cruise Critic and Facebook for our charters, that there were many people that went looking for it in app stores like iTunes. Hence my attempt to explain that it is not an app but a web based application running via a web browser using the intranet... which would elicit many "huh?" responses as POA1 mentioned. :)

Unfortunately, I can't think of a simple way to explain it other than to compare it to the perk on HAL of " free access to The New York Times online edition (wireless hot spots also available for those traveling with laptops)"

To (be) an app or not an app...

I know from experience that when people posted about the MSC and Princess "apps" on both Cruise Critic and Facebook for our charters, that there were many people that went looking for it in app stores like iTunes. Hence my attempt to explain that it is not an app but a web based application running via a web browser using the intranet... which would elicit many "huh?" responses as POA1 mentioned. :)

Unfortunately, I can't think of a simple way to explain it other than to compare it to the perk on HAL of " free access to The New York Times online edition (wireless hot spots also available for those traveling with laptops)"

Thank you, Peter. I understood what you meant (and intended) in your earlier posts and was merely thanking you for clarifying what was undeniably an incorrect characterization of the HAL web-based application.

Edited by avian777

Just commenting about the new app to check your account and itinerary that is presently on the eurodam. It's pretty dang nice to be able to check your account many times. Also listed on here is shorex and dining reservations. It is free to use. You get to it by typing in login.com. Internet has been exceptionally bad on the eurodam so not sure I'll get back to this thread much. Just wanted to share an experience.

Thank you for sharing, cruz chic. Hope you have a wonderful cruise.

David

Oh come on now. You can't be serious:rolleyes:. I know exactly what this post is about. It unfortunate that you decided to take this helpful info and turn it into something else.

Oh come on now. You can't be serious:rolleyes:. I know exactly what this post is about. It unfortunate that you decided to take this helpful info and turn it into something else.

don't worry about it cruz chic - most of us appreciated the updated info.

and we could figure it out.

thanks for letting us know.

Much ado about nothing IMHO.

I have firsthand experience of people hearing about a cruise ship app and complaining that they couldn't find it in an app store. And I am talking about a younger crowd than HAL's usual passenger composition.

Don't worry about it. The majority of people who read your post appreciated it.

Much ado about nothing IMHO.

I have firsthand experience of people hearing about a cruise ship app and complaining that they couldn't find it in an app store. And I am talking about a younger crowd than HAL's usual passenger composition.

IMHO you are 110% spot on - much ado about nothing!!!

I certainly appreciate your taking the time to post about the Eurodam "app" and explain that it's not found in the play store as I went looking for it, of course :)

THANK YOU so much for letting us know about this added benefit onboard the Eurodam.