Opening safe while in room.

rt1092

Just want to pass along something I learned on Cruise Critic a while back. After the recent fires aboard some of the ships.

When you come back to your stateroom's for the night/evening. Be sure to open your safe. If there is an emergency you don't want to be pushing buttons to open your safe.

Just want to pass along something I learned on Cruise Critic a while back. After the recent fires aboard some of the ships.

When you come back to your stateroom's for the night/evening. Be sure to open your safe. If there is an emergency you don't want to be pushing buttons to open your safe.

What a great idea, sometimes the most obvious ideas are the ones I can never think of.

Any more.

We do lay out a set of warm clothes and flashlights before we go to bed just in case we would have to evacuate the cabin.

Thanks again.

Sea Ya

Forget the safe. If there is a fire I'm evacuating immediately without packing any unnecessary items!

My thoughts exactly. If we are in the middle of the ocean, the ship is on fire and they are sending everyone to their muster station I don't give a rats arse what's in the safe.

Now, we typically lay out the clothes we plan on wearing the next day so we might get dressed but if it is really bad everyone better be prepared to see me in my "tighty whities" :eek: :D

Forget the safe. If there is a fire I'm evacuating immediately without packing any unnecessary items!

Yeah, but most people would put their necessary items in the safe, such as passports/ID/etc. If you somehow ended up in a foreign country, those sorts of things might end up being helpful..

To the OP: thanks for the tip!

Now, we typically lay out the clothes we plan on wearing the next day so we might get dressed but if it is really bad everyone better be prepared to see me in my "tighty whities" :eek: :D

I will just be glad that you're at least wearing something. :D

nope. one time(okay first time we cruised) we forgot to check the safe and the door flapped all freaking night every time the ship rocked. it wasn't until the next morning when we actively searched for the offending noise before yelling at Guest Services that we found out what it was.

the only thing that gets left in the safe is my baubles and sorry but not even my Fire Opals or my Emeralds are coming with me on the lifeboat

I for one would take the 5-6 seconds it would require to grab the valuables that would fit in our pockets. My Fenix flashlight will light up the corridor for half the length of the ship, that will speed up everyone enough to make up for it:D

Yeah, but most people would put their necessary items in the safe, such as passports/ID/etc. If you somehow ended up in a foreign country, those sorts of things might end up being helpful..

To the OP: thanks for the tip!

not us. PP is with is at all times in RFID protected case. also holds my sea pass and anything I need/want on the ship or in port.

nope. one time(okay first time we cruised) we forgot to check the safe and the door flapped all freaking night every time the ship rocked. it wasn't until the next morning when we actively searched for the offending noise before yelling at Guest Services that we found out what it was.

the only thing that gets left in the safe is my baubles and sorry but not even my Fire Opals or my Emeralds are coming with me on the lifeboat

Whatever we keep in the safe, I have it all contained in one zip lock bag so nothing falls out or gets left behind. I found out that some of my jewelry sometimes escaped my jewelry holder and got separated. Now everything in one bag to grab in a hurry, including PP and extra cash.

The post is not about what you keep in the safe. Or how you package it.

It is a suggestion to leave it open while sleeping. So in case you experience an emergency, you won't have to fiddle with the buttons on the safe.

We photocopy the passport id pages and send them to our email account before we travel, knowing that in an emergency situation when we got to a place where they would be useful, we would likely have internet access to retrieve them, and so would focus on grabbing our go-bag of medications, cash/credit cards, cell phone and camera equipment.

the safe is electronic right? If there is an emergency, G-D forbid, would the buttons even work? Or is it battery powered?

Great idea about the zip lock bag in the safe. Totally using that idea for my cruise in 2 days.

It is battery powered.

I am not leaving my safe open. If I need to get in the safe it will only take three seconds to open.

We photocopy the passport id pages and send them to our email account before we travel, knowing that in an emergency situation when we got to a place where they would be useful, we would likely have internet access to retrieve them, and so would focus on grabbing our go-bag of medications, cash/credit cards, cell phone and camera equipment.

So its going to be like that recent flight when the plane was burning and people grabbed their carry on bags?

Whatever we keep in the safe, I have it all contained in one zip lock bag so nothing falls out or gets left behind. I found out that some of my jewelry sometimes escaped my jewelry holder and got separated. Now everything in one bag to grab in a hurry, including PP and extra cash.

This is a wonderful idea! Thank you. Im very organized but never thiught of doing this and now I will do forever lol. Thank you so mich!

Wow! Another fantastic idea! I am bringing the passports to work tomorrow to organize my Indy trip over NYE and going to make copies AND email them to my account.

Thank you!

It is battery powered.

I am not leaving my safe open. If I need to get in the safe it will only take three seconds to open.

Exactly! I am not listening to that door bang back and forth all night. If I can't take the few seconds to punch in a couple of numbers I am guessing I ain't making it off the ship.

It has been my practice to leave the safe door cracked open at night for quick access to the passports. I don't recall it ever flapping/bagging at night, even during the rougher seas. I also keep an LED flashlight on the bed stand ever since the Carnival Triumph fiasco.

The post is not about what you keep in the safe. Or how you package it.

It is a suggestion to leave it open while sleeping. So in case you experience an emergency, you won't have to fiddle with the buttons on the safe.

and I am saying that leaving it open is going to present its OWN issues; namely a banging door all night long. so unless you ALSO take the time to take care of that problem, leaving it open is of limited to zero actual benefit. it takes all of 10 seconds to plug in the 4 digit code or run the magnetic stripe in the slot.

And then you forget to close it the next day and remembered after you went on an excursion, it's time to worry.