Any recourse when paid in full and cabin next door advertised $1400 cheaper?

sswv

We are booked on a December cruise on Constellation. We paid our fares in full end of September. Went onto celebrity today and randomly searched for available cabins on our deck (11) ands that the interior cabin right next door to the one we booked,same category and same number of berths was 1478.00 cheaper than what we paid! Is there anything I can do to obtain a cheaper fare or credit or are we SOL?

We are booked on a December cruise on Constellation. We paid our fares in full end of September. Went onto celebrity today and randomly searched for available cabins on our deck (11) ands that the interior cabin right next door to the one we booked,same category and same number of berths was 1478.00 cheaper than what we paid! Is there anything I can do to obtain a cheaper fare or credit or are we SOL?

Did you book yourselves or through a TA? Either you or the TA should call Celebrity to see about obtaining some OBC at minimum.

Once it is the past the point of final payment you are SOL. There are

no price drops after final payment.

Take your complaint to whomever you booked with. That surely is a huge drop. Unfortunately unless PRE final payment due date, no adjustment guaranteed. But I'd sure ask for something. Maybe you could be bumped up to a higher category if it's running same cost you paid. Try to get something that will ease the irritation.;) No harm asking.

That really is a huge drop for an inside cabin.

While there are no refunds after final payment (even by OBC credit), I second the suggestion to call your TA, or call Celebrity yourself if not booked with a TA, and see if you can get a higher category cabin for yourselves.

What sailing are you on, and how many people will be in your cabin?

OK, so you are at the second tier of the cancellation period, 56 to 29 days. This is a 50% of the fare cost to cancel per person. Is this more or less than the $700 per person lower cost?

Dec 7th & 12th insides are $249 ++ Dec 17th $239++ 21st #399++

If you were $700+ over that, WOW!

Edited by wallie5446

I'm wondering if there is a hint in the phrase "same number of berths" in OP. Maybe they had multiple cabins booked and the TOTAL price difference was $1400? I know that's not the technical definition of the word. But yeah I'm pretty sure the Connie December trips have been dirt cheap for a while, at least since summer.

I'm wondering if there is a hint in the phrase "same number of berths" in OP. Maybe they had multiple cabins booked and the TOTAL price difference was $1400? I know that's not the technical definition of the word. But yeah I'm pretty sure the Connie December trips have been dirt cheap for a while, at least since summer.

Do they maybe have 4 persons booked in the cabin? (is that possible with an inside??) If so, could they move the third and fourth to a second cabin? Do the cancellation penalties apply to third and fourth passengers or only if you cancel the entire cabin?

SO the drastic difference is price is what I have paid so far including gratuities,bev packages, speciality restaurant etc. The price I looked at on Celebrity today was just for the 3 passenger cabin and taxes. Still paid more than they are advertising but looks like maybe 150 pp more. Sorry for the crazy rant!But thank you for your help!

SO the drastic difference is price is what I have paid so far including gratuities,bev packages, speciality restaurant etc. The price I looked at on Celebrity today was just for the 3 passenger cabin and taxes. Still paid more than they are advertising but looks like maybe 150 pp more. Sorry for the crazy rant!But thank you for your help!

It certainly can be annoying when an identical stateroom is discovered to be available for less. But, take some solace that it is just the cruise line trying to sell excess capacity through lowered prices. Most retail businesses do the same thing. Buy a new TV last month and find out today that there is a sale to clear out inventory to make room for a newer model. Same with buying a car, clothing, etc. At least in this case the difference isn't too big.

That sounds a little more reasonable. Can you book an ocean view for a few dollars more than you paid for the inside? If so, you might want to try to upgrade.

It's a good thing you came here. Because of your thread you found that you're not really that bad off. If you hadn't learned that, you might have had your whole cruise ruined.

It certainly can be annoying when an identical stateroom is discovered to be available for less. But, take some solace that it is just the cruise line trying to sell excess capacity through lowered prices. Most retail businesses do the same thing. Buy a new TV last month and find out today that there is a sale to clear out inventory to make room for a newer model. Same with buying a car, clothing, etc. At least in this case the difference isn't too big.

The other thing to keep in mind is that cruise lines don't want empty cabins because empty cabins (a) don't pay gratuities, and (b) don't create any "on-board spend". The cruise ships certainly don't want to lower the cabin prices, but they don't really have much choice, and have to do whatever it takes to get bodies in beds. Apparently Royal Caribbean is trying not to offer last minute price drops in the Caribbean (as a trial run), and are opting instead to just take the hit, i.e.: (a) RCI guarantees a minimum wage to the tipped-out staff that normally receive 95% of their remuneration from tips (b) the loss of on-board spending revenue). Last I heard this wasn't working out too well for them, though.

So when I see a lower price after final payment, I try not to take it personally. If there isn't an upsell offer that I can take advantage of, I usually have booked at a price I can live with, and have the cabin and location that I wanted, and have had the time to make all of my arrangements in a timely way, which usually saves me a lot of money anyhow. Swings and roundabouts. :)

If it really bothers you, cancel and then rebook at the lower price. Depending on where you're at with the cancellation penalty, you may end up ahead.

What you found could be an "Exciting Deal" good for one day only and for new bookings only. There's usually a lot of exclusions for those last-minute prices.