Book w a Travel Agent or Not?

soxfan2013

I usually like to book directly because I like to have direct access to speaking with the cruise line.

But I think TAs must get a 10% or 20% commission off the best available rate and share some of that back with their customers...I think many people get significant cruise credits from their TAs (like 5-% or more)...in that case, Celebrity direct can't compete, even though they have a lower cost direct because they don't have to pay commissions.

Am I missing something here?

I usually like to book directly because I like to have direct access to speaking with the cruise line.

But I think TAs must get a 10% or 20% commission off the best available rate and share some of that back with their customers...I think many people get significant cruise credits from their TAs (like 5-% or more)...in that case, Celebrity direct can't compete, even though they have a lower cost direct because they don't have to pay commissions.

I'm not a TA but Celebrity and most (all?) other cruise lines will not under cut TAs. They bring too much business to the cruise lines. So yes, TAs can offer a better deal than booking direct.

Nope. 70%+ of reservations by cruise lines are handled by travel agents, of this very reason(Source: 2014 CLIA conference).

I always book my own, then transfer to my agent who then gives me some OBC as a perk.

I mean really, what "control" does one need once it is booked.....Cabin upgrade, find it and call agent instead of X. New cabin number, call agent instead of call X. Let the agent deal with the 30 minute hold times. You can still do all the cruise planner stuff, add excursions, specialty dining etc. You just won't see you fare and the nu news on your reservation, since TA has that info and invoices it.

Of course you need a good trustworthy agent. Mine is on Facebook, gets texts emails, phone calls etc. I never an issue reaching her.

TA's generally don't have any better fares than X sells (it's the rules cruise lines have) unless the TA arranges a special contracted group rate on a particular sailing for particular cabin categories.

If you want to save money, shop around for the best deal among reputable cruise/travel agencies. If you have no interest in saving money...book directly with the cruise line. One weird compromise is that you can book directly with the cruise line and have the booking transferred to your agency of choice (this can be done immediately). But once you transfer the booking you do lose all your leverage with the agency, so we suggest negotiating the best deal before you transfer any booking.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

No - you are not missing anything (other than more OBC or $ in your pocket by not using a TA. More importantly, recognize that some cruise lines pay a higher commission to TA's who exceed certain baselines of productivity. Finding a top producing TA for your preferred line is the key. Of course, that assumes the line pays differential commissions (and other incentives to preferred providers). Note as well that some of the most productive TAs won't handle low end/low commission lines like Carnival.

Simply compare the costs and benefits both ways, getting offers from different TAs.

Then it is easy to decide for yourself whether or not using a TA is worthwhile, and if so, which TA would be best for this particular cruise.

For your next cruise, a different TA may offer you a much better deal.

That is what we do. Depending on the cruise, the accommodations we book and the price, it is often worthwhile to give our booking to a TA, but there are other times when it is not.

Some TAs will offer additional perks for booking with them.

I am in Canada and the TAs in my area rarely offer anything extra other than the promotion the cruise line is offering. Most just give you some beach towels or a bag with the travel agencies name on it.

I nearly missed out on a large price drop a few years ago due to the TA being out of the office. Ever since then I have done my own bookings. I've never had to wait more than a few minutes on the phone to speak to the cruise line.

As others have said, if booking with a TA you need one that is good and can be easily contacted.

No - you are not missing anything (other than more OBC or $ in your pocket by not using a TA. More importantly, recognize that some cruise lines pay a higher commission to TA's who exceed certain baselines of productivity. Finding a top producing TA for your preferred line is the key. Of course, that assumes the line pays differential commissions (and other incentives to preferred providers). Note as well that some of the most productive TAs won't handle low end/low commission lines like Carnival.

We always book direct with the cruise lines, never had a problem and sometimes get a decent OBC as well. sometimes we check the TA's first though just in case.

Nope. 70%+ of reservations by cruise lines are handled by travel agents, of this very reason(Source: 2014 CLIA conference).

I always book my own, then transfer to my agent who then gives me some OBC as a perk.

I mean really, what "control" does one need once it is booked.....Cabin upgrade, find it and call agent instead of X. New cabin number, call agent instead of call X. Let the agent deal with the 30 minute hold times. You can still do all the cruise planner stuff, add excursions, specialty dining etc. You just won't see you fare and the nu news on your reservation, since TA has that info and invoices it.

Of course you need a good trustworthy agent. Mine is on Facebook, gets texts emails, phone calls etc. I never an issue reaching her.

TA's generally don't have any better fares than X sells (it's the rules cruise lines have) unless the TA arranges a special contracted group rate on a particular sailing for particular cabin categories.

Very good post - says it all re TAs. We get 8-10% OBC from our TA on every cruise. Some people cite "control" as a reason not to use a travel agent, which is nonsense.

We always book direct with the cruise lines, never had a problem and sometimes get a decent OBC as well. sometimes we check the TA's first though just in case.

ANY OBC or other perks that the cruise line will directly give a customer, the customer will also get with a TA. The TA will then give EXTRA perks.

The Cruise line isn't giving out anything extra special or secret, only what they are selling via all sales channels.

Some TAs will offer additional perks for booking with them.

I am in Canada and the TAs in my area rarely offer anything extra other than the promotion the cruise line is offering. Most just give you some beach towels or a bag with the travel agencies name on it.

I nearly missed out on a large price drop a few years ago due to the TA being out of the office. Ever since then I have done my own bookings. I've never had to wait more than a few minutes on the phone to speak to the cruise line.

As others have said, if booking with a TA you need one that is good and can be easily contacted.

As a Canadian, you can always avail yourself of any of the reputable cruise agencies located in the USA. There are plenty of good deals available online, and as has oft been posted, one can expect to save from 7-10% (and sometimes more) by shopping around for a good deal. We do most of our bookings online, and can compare offerings on several of our favorite agencies in a matter of minutes.

Hank

I transferred my next two cruise bookings to a local TA and haven't received any benefit from it at all. It has actually been very frustrating to me to have to contact my agent - who was out of the country and completely out of reach at the same time as final payment. I would have liked to upgrade from a sky suite to a royal suite as they started opening up, but Celebrity would not discuss my booking with me at all. I wish CC would allow members to post the names of the box companies that give great OBC as well as great customer service. i think I'll just keep my reservation next time.

I transferred my next two cruise bookings to a local TA and haven't received any benefit from it at all. It has actually been very frustrating to me to have to contact my agent - who was out of the country and completely out of reach at the same time as final payment. I would have liked to upgrade from a sky suite to a royal suite as they started opening up, but Celebrity would not discuss my booking with me at all. I wish CC would allow members to post the names of the box companies that give great OBC as well as great customer service. i think I'll just keep my reservation next time.

Before you transfer you should have asked "what perks can you provide" . If the answer is nothing, then call another agent.

If you don't ask, you likely won't get anything.

As to the loss of upgrade, what I do is when I find a cabin open I want, I reserve it with the 24 hour hold, then contact my agent, that buys 24 hours at least. If I haven't reached her in 24 hours, I cancel and rebook, getting another 24 hours. When I finally reach my agent, I will cancel the 24 hours hold while on the phone with her then she can immediately scoop it up and upgrade my existing reservation into it.

Edited by cle-guy

Your TA doesn't have any one else in her office??? Hard to believe ! Call that office and let someone else deal with Celebrity.

NEXT, you don't transfer anything to a TA until you have negotiated UPFRONT what the Benefits are and gotten it in writing!!!!

If you are waiting to just get something you have a very long long wait... JMHO

Edited by JVilleGal

Before you transfer you should have asked "what perks can you provide" . If the answer is nothing, then call another agent.

If you don't ask, you likely won't get anything.

Yep - lesson learned. I have since found that out. This was a local agent from a business network group. I was trying to throw business her way to support a member. Unfortunately, she's no longer even a member of my group - so that was a waste too. LOL! It's no big deal - I'm excited about my cruise and happy with the perks offered by Celebrity - I just wish I had known better beforehand.

I may cancel my next cruise and rebook since final payment isn't due until March. I'm waiting right now because the rates have increased significantly since my original booking. I can't take an agent off of my booking once I've transferred it - can I?

As a Canadian, you can always avail yourself of any of the reputable cruise agencies located in the USA. There are plenty of good deals available online, and as has oft been posted, one can expect to save from 7-10% (and sometimes more) by shopping around for a good deal. We do most of our bookings online, and can compare offerings on several of our favorite agencies in a matter of minutes.

Hank

I have yet to find a US travel agency that will allow me to book in Canadian dollars. With the current exchange rate, booking in US dollars is more expensive.

Your TA doesn't have any one else in her office??? Hard to believe ! Call that office and let someone else deal with Celebrity.

There were other people working in the office; however, none were willing to modify the reservation. Them lowering the price on the reservation would have resulted in my TA getting a lower commission so they wouldn't do it without her permission. I had no choice but to wait for my TA to get back in the office to have the price modified.

In my area, most TAs are not open on Saturdays (or offer limited hours) and none are open on Sundays...so if a price drop occurs late Friday night or on the weekend it often means having to wait until Monday morning to have it modified (and hoping the prices don't go back up before then).

Some people have had great experiences in dealing with a TA, but I have not and for that reason I am very hesitant to use one again.

Edited by lovemylab

On these Cruise Critic boards over time, many questions will come up on travel agent, their need/value, the future for that profession, etc. Unfortunately, we cannot name or suggest here any specific agent. BUT, just wanted to offer a shout-out for the value and worth of . . . really good travel agents.

Clearly some TA's are just "order-takers". Not much value-added by that process or type of agent. That makes it easier to just do it yourself via the Internet and/or phones. We have worked with our TA since 2006 and she is so important because of her vast travel experiences around the world, being honest, blunt and candid for the options being considered, etc. Last year in planning and preparing for our Australia-NZ adventure, she had been there 25+ times and had many keen insights. Did that help? YES!!

Personally, I like to do lots of reading and research myself. I do not do everything that she suggests, but it is all part of the "total information picture" in planning and preparing. That is the best of all world . . . an excellent agent . . . AND . . . an involved, interested customer!! In most cases, if you book it yourself and/or through a cruise line staffer, you are going to be paying the same amount for the cruise. Why not, if possible, have a smart and savvy travel agent, enjoy those extra benefits and gain so many more insights about where you are visiting, designation options, things to avoid, etc. Finally, when or if you have a "problem" and challenge during the pre-cruise period, it is good to have a strong advocate to push and argue on your behalf. Of course, getting an excellent travel agent is not always that easy. There are some secrets that I can suggest, later, if it is of interest.

We are preparing now for a South Africa to Mozambique and back to Cape Town cruise sailing in February 2016, plus time in Victoria Falls and doing Botswana safari adventures. She has been there and stayed in many of these same places and locations. This offers, again, a needed level of experience that makes it much easier of us to make smarter, better informed decision, being able to pick our best priorities, etc.

If you are just going to the Caribbean for only "floating on a boat", then the level of TA expertise is clearly not as needed and/or vital.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 125,492 views for this posting.

My agent is a one woman show - I think she works under another larger agency because she had me write another agency on the transfer form. She has not provided me with any other contact. When better suites started opening up, I wasn't able to reach her because it was over a weekend. I ended up doing a courtesy hold on the room and had to conference call with Celebrity and my agent to change my reservation. It was a hassle. It would have been so much easier to deal directly with Celebrity. Like I said, I am happy with my reservations, but I saw two royal suites come available after final payment that I couldn't get because my agent was out of the country.

There were other people working in the office; however, none were willing to modify the reservation. Them lowering the price on the reservation would have resulted in my TA getting a lower commission so they wouldn't do it without her permission. I had no choice but to wait for my TA to get back in the office to have the price modified.

In my area, most TAs are not open on Saturdays (or offer limited hours) and none are open on Sundays...so if a price drop occurs late Friday night or on the weekend it often means having to wait until Monday morning to have it modified (and hoping the prices don't go back up before then).

Some people have had great experiences in dealing with a TA, but I have not and for that reason I am very hesitant to use one again.

Wow, is there a manager? I would be raising the roof and then going back to the Cruiseline and having them "yank" that reservation so fast it would make some heads spin. The whole reason to have others in the office is to back you up and provide excellent service.

FIRE that entire agency and be sure and tell the cruise line why, they will remove the reservation under those circumstances.

I used to use a local TA and all she did was complain that she wasn't making any money booking cruises. She would send a bottle of wine or chocolate covered strawberries on our cruise. Met an interesting couple on a cruise that turned us on to internet TA and now we book thru cruise line then turn it over to her and get extra onboard credit. She also contacted me once about a price drop she completed on a cruise we had booked. Have been very happy with the service!

I agree 100% with the issue of losing control of booking if booked outside the cruiseline directly. The only matter they won't discuss with you is a financial issue and I usually know the answer to that anyway. Booking with a TA is the only way to go for me, mine gives me substantial OBC and on one cruise my best friend and I went on we were celebrating a friendship of 50 plus years, we had never had a vacation together in all that time and she was super excited to be going on a holiday anywhere. This particular TA even threw in extra OBC so we could enjoy a dinner in a specialty restaurant. I'm sure that came out of her own pocket. Think any cruiseline would offer you that? Not a chance. :)

We usually use one or two of the large on-line TA's and have had good success. The one time we did not, I contacted the cruise line to inquire about some details, and was practically hounded daily by their Personal Cruise Planner. She did match the very good fare that the TA was offering, and we booked directly with the cruise line. Two weeks before departure, the line cancelled the cruise VIA FACEBOOK!! Despite numerous calls and emails to our Personal Cruise Planner, she never responded to us and it took months of effort on our part to get our non refundable expenses back from the cruise line. Never again will I book directly with a cruise line.

Wow, is there a manager? I would be raising the roof and then going back to the Cruiseline and having them "yank" that reservation so fast it would make some heads spin. The whole reason to have others in the office is to back you up and provide excellent service.

FIRE that entire agency and be sure and tell the cruise line why, they will remove the reservation under those circumstances.

The manager was useless. I did fire the agency - that happened 6 years ago and I've been handing my own ever since.

For some people, a TA is great. For others, not so much.