Book w a Travel Agent or Not?

soxfan2013

The things I want from a travel agency are

(1) Sufficient additional perks and/or price savings to make it worth involving a third party.

(2) Availability - I want to be able to call and talk to another agent who can take care of whatever is needed when my regular agent is not available.

I intensely dislike needing to leave voicemail messages and then wait in suspense until someone gets back to me.

I want the transaction completed, and have my yes or no answer by the time I get off the phone.

After all, this is not rocket science.

It is not something that can only be done by one specific individual.

Any capable agent should be able to process a price drop or cabin change and send me the revised invoice.

(3) No fees for processing changes or cancellations.

But there are sometimes exceptions, where I will book with an agent who charges a cancellation fee if the perks are especially good and it is a cruise that I am unlikely to cancel.

I would not rely on any TA as a source of current and accurate information about my cruise or flights or the destinations I will be visiting.

If a TA happens to have recently taken the same cruise or visited the same places I am going, then that would just be an extra bonus.

No individual, no matter how well traveled, can have personal current knowledge about all vacation destinations.

In this day and age, with things changing rapidly, there are so many better sources of information available.

Edited by varoo

The things I want from a travel agency are

(1) Sufficient additional perks and/or price savings to make it worth involving a third party.

(2) Availability - I want to be able to call and talk to another agent who can take care of whatever is needed when my regular agent is not available.

I intensely dislike needing to leave voicemail messages and then wait in suspense until someone gets back to me.

I want the transaction completed, and have my yes or no answer by the time I get off the phone.

After all, this is not rocket science.

It is not something that can only be done by one specific individual.

Any capable agent should be able to process a price drop or cabin change and send me the revised invoice.

(3) No fees for processing changes or cancellations.

But there are sometimes exceptions, where I will book with an agent who charges a cancellation fee if the perks are especially good and it is a cruise that I am unlikely to cancel.

I would not rely on any TA as a source of current and accurate information about my cruise or flights or the destinations I will be visiting.

If a TA happens to have recently taken the same cruise or visited the same places I am going, then that would just be an extra bonus.

No individual, no matter how well traveled, can have personal current knowledge about all vacation destinations.

In this day and age, with things changing rapidly, there are so many better sources of information available.

This is great advice and I'm going to remember it the next time I investigate travel agents. Thank you so much!

I never, ever, ever use a TA, except to book a cruise. On most of the lines we have cruised, you must book with a TA. On some lines you can't even find out availability on a sailing without going through a TA.

IMHO Celebrity is heading in the right direction by allowing consumers to book directly via the Internet. You can buy a luxury car, book the worlds finest restaurants and buy airline tickets among almost anything else you want, online. Now if they would just make the same great deal my TA can get available to me... But I am sure that is coming. It's the future and all cruise lines have to catch on, or become history.

I never, ever, ever use a TA, except to book a cruise. On most of the lines we have cruised, you must book with a TA. On some lines you can't even find out availability on a sailing without going through a TA.

IMHO Celebrity is heading in the right direction by allowing consumers to book directly via the Internet. You can buy a luxury car, book the worlds finest restaurants and buy airline tickets among almost anything else you want, online. Now if they would just make the same great deal my TA can get available to me... But I am sure that is coming. It's the future and all cruise lines have to catch on, or become history.

I see it completely differently. Crusie lines would rather have TA's field the majority of calls, and save the call center staff. Also many good TA's arrange large group cruises a few time a year, these groups fill ships. Losing TA's who assemble these groups, means many of these first timers wouldn't bother to cruise.

With 70% of cruise reservations being handled buy TA;s its a LONG way away from the end to the TA in this industry.

Any deal a TA goes comes right out of their pocket, as a business expense, they get paid a commission, and then pay to give you OBC out of pocket. They do earn a few perks and points too they can convert along the way, but generally, its cash out of their profit for any perks given. They basically just book thru Gifts By Celebrity and pay with their own master cards.

What are the rules pertaining to switching a reservation to a TA? I take it that no paperwork is involved. Just make the reservation with X and tell them to transfer it to my agent? What about proximity to sailing date? If I get a good deal, say, within final payment, can I still make the transfer?

What are the rules pertaining to switching a reservation to a TA? I take it that no paperwork is involved. Just make the reservation with X and tell them to transfer it to my agent? What about proximity to sailing date? If I get a good deal, say, within final payment, can I still make the transfer?

Here's the form.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/media/en_US/pdf/faq/2010_CelebrityBookingTransferForm.pdf

Transfer must be made within 60 days of booking and before final payment, and before payment has been made in full.

If you book-on-board and your current sailing has a TA associated with it, your reservation will automatically go to your Agent. If you don't want it to go to your agent, they will have you sign a form allowing them to remove the agent from the booking.

If you book after final payment you must book with the TA, you can't transfer it.

If after final pay, I make a reservation on 24 hour hold, the contact my agent to finalize it.

Edited by cle-guy

Usually no later than 30 days after booking. Unless there is wrong doing going on!

I usually like to book directly because I like to have direct access to speaking with the cruise line.

But I think TAs must get a 10% or 20% commission off the best available rate and share some of that back with their customers...I think many people get significant cruise credits from their TAs (like 5-% or more)...in that case, Celebrity direct can't compete, even though they have a lower cost direct because they don't have to pay commissions.

Am I missing something here?

Yes.

Book with a travel agent.

It costs you nothing. you create jobs for travel agents. They give you personal, superior advice. You get perks. You have one-on-one contact when you have questions, rather than dealing with a 1-800 serice

We almost always book our next cruise while on a cruse for the lower deposit, OBCs and whatever other perks they are offering at the time.

Once home we notify our TA ( same one for 14 years ) and let her take over. Always get a healthy OBC from her and almost always get a discounted block or group price or other agency perk or two.

I've never had a problem reaching her by email if needed.

1. Book onboard

2. Transfer booking and get agent's deals.*

3. Get agent's invoice.

4. Make final payment and have agent send me final official RCCL invoice.*

We've done very well over the years with just 2 phone calls (*) or emails (maybe more if we or she sees a change in price or better deal.)

bosco

Edited by boscobeans

That is not always correct. On my current cruise I looked at pricing booking directly with the cruiseline, with a local TA in CAD and booking with a US agency in USD. There was no advantage with booking locally or with the cruiseline, so opted with the US agency and got an upgraded cabin, and location which I was able to pick out, plus substantial OBC. The day before final payment, Celebrity had the BBB promo running, so I called my TA, we both did the math and I was still further ahead by several hundred $$$ leaving my booking intact, as my cabin category had gone up to reflect the additional perks Celebrity was offering. The TA I am currently using is fantastic and will do all the mathematical breakdown for me.

I have yet to find a US travel agency that will allow me to book in Canadian dollars. With the current exchange rate, booking in US dollars is more expensive.

Big Box TAs provide all 3 of those things. The only reason I can imagine to book with anyone else is if you can be placed into a 'group' booking or if you know the TA personally.

I use a big box warehouse store's 800 # also. Gives the best OBC. If the price drops, never a problem.

2 years ago I was on a Eastern Med cruise on the Reflection. My table in the MDR had 3 other couples all from different parts of the country (California, Colorado, Chicago and us from NC), all of us used that same big box warehouse store.

Some TAs will offer additional perks for booking with them.

I am in Canada and the TAs in my area rarely offer anything extra other than the promotion the cruise line is offering. Most just give you some beach towels or a bag with the travel agencies name on it.

I nearly missed out on a large price drop a few years ago due to the TA being out of the office. Ever since then I have done my own bookings. I've never had to wait more than a few minutes on the phone to speak to the cruise line.

As others have said, if booking with a TA you need one that is good and can be easily contacted.

If you do use one, Do NOT use a Canadian TA.

My only advise to my fellow Cunucks

Sunny Days :p

I use a big box warehouse store's 800 # also. Gives the best OBC. If the price drops, never a problem.

2 years ago I was on a Eastern Med cruise on the Reflection. My table in the MDR had 3 other couples all from different parts of the country (California, Colorado, Chicago and us from NC), all of us used that same big box warehouse store.

I've used them, too, with no problems except getting an insurance certificate one time. On occasion, though, I have gotten greater OBCs from an agent I'd used in the past. There is some comfort in dealing with a big outfit and well known

The only time we use a TA is to book a cruise. And then we use an on line TA that we have used for many cruises.

I do not understand the issue of control. We have as much control on over our booking through a TA as we do with a cruise line.

We do not need hand holding. Our TA provides us with a fare rebate of 8-12 percent as an OBC. Occasionally, if we are part of some group, we get an upgrade or a complementary excursions. So for us it works out to about one free cruise for every 10 we take.

PLUS, on more than one occasion our on line TA has told us about a more attractive offer on a competing cruise line. No doubt, the cruise line agent would not do this.

Big Box TAs provide all 3 of those things. The only reason I can imagine to book with anyone else is if you can be placed into a 'group' booking or if you know the TA personally.
.....or if you can get a significantly better deal elsewhere.

For some cruises a major online TA can provide a better offer than the Big Box store.

I find that different TAs are better for different cruises.

That's why it pays to check and compare instead of just assuming that the same TA is going to be the best one to use every time for every cruise,

(unless that person is a family member or close friend and you just want him/her to receive the commission).

Edited by fleckle

I know my TA personally. We've been tailgating together for years before he became a TA. I trusted him before he became a TA, and I trust him now. And our cruise group includes him and his wife.

The other day after our final payment was paid, I checked our scheduled cruise. Celebrity was advertising a price for a veranda for less than what we signed up for during our cruise last January. After I checked it out, it turned out that rate was for a 2D cabin. If we wanted the same cabin we got when we originally signed up, 2A, the price was several hundred dollars more that what we paid.

I know my TA personally. We've been tailgating together for years before he became a TA. I trusted him before he became a TA, and I trust him now. And our cruise group includes him and his wife.

The other day after our final payment was paid, I checked our scheduled cruise. Celebrity was advertising a price for a veranda for less than what we signed up for during our cruise last January. After I checked it out, it turned out that rate was for a 2D cabin. If we wanted the same cabin we got when we originally signed up, 2A, the price was several hundred dollars more that what we paid.

Kind of reminds me of a guy that told us he knew Bernie Madoff, Personally, and trusted him for many years :). But seriously, we all have our own priorities. For us, we book cruises similar to how we buy just about any product. We look for the best deal from a reputable company. It that happens to be a friend then its terrific. If it is a major cruise agency that is also fine. If we were booking through a friend we would give him/her a chance to match the best deal. Otherwise, we would still be friendly but he/she would not get our booking. It is a dog eat dog world! And while Norm ("Cheers") then said, "and I am wearing Milk Bone underwear" we do not like that kind of underwear :).

Hank

Our travel agent is a whiz. She knows good cabins bad cabins, keeps lists, names and itineraries. She knows when to go, when not to go.....she is very practical person. When we wanted to book the cruise to Israel that never got to Israel (security reasons) she was the one who said Fly to Israel....don't do it on a ship...it's too big a target and they need to be extra safe.....She was right and didn't get commission for our land tour.....Best advice we ever got.

Her pricing info and her ability to know us well enough to book cruises for us before even we know. We would rather hold cabins then lose availability.....she knows this and deposits are refundable.....

I would Never book without a travel agent. They are somebody on your side. Case in point; We were traveling with a group of people....pricing went down after final payment, as it does, and we all had overpaid about $700 per cabin....but Celebrity does not refund that. Our travel agent negotiated a fair settlement for us. The people who booked direct with Celebrity got nothing......A GOOD travel agent is worth their weight in gold.

Safe Sails to all!

When booking a cruise I just call one of the big box companies and book with whomever the call goes to. However, for my upcoming cruise I booked with the same TA I used two years ago, who provided me the utmost in customer service, I had to do some digging to find her name but she has been excellent. Got me an 2C cabin for the price of a 2D plus OBC. I picked the cabin location and cabin #. When I had major issues onboard several years ago regarding missing OBC (which was not the fault of the TA) they went to bat for me with Celebrity. My TA was unavailable at the time, but the manager on duty did all the work for me called the Miami office and got the ball rolling. My TA is worth her weight in gold and then some.

A travel agent can provide you with amenities that you can't obtain with a cruise line but most importantly if something goes wrong with the cruise line a good TA will be your advocate with the cruise line.

Keith

Since we never book a cruise unless we're absolutely planning on taking it, we have little need for calling them and talking to them about things. We choose our cruise and book it. We make all our decisions before we book, and then it's really just a waiting game, checking every so often for price drops until final payment.

Our first 6 or 7 cruises we booked directly with the cruise line.

THEN...... we talked to someone at dinner one night on a cruise and they were talking about spending their on board credit.

Lightbulb moment for us. A travel agent will give you all the perks the cruise line will PLUS other stuff. Lightbulb on.

Now we book directly with the TA and we work with one lady. I have $1200 on board credit on my upcoming cruise a week from today. If we had booked just with Celebrity it would have been $500.

THAT'S why we use a TA. And we can make changes through them and access our account through the Celebrity website.

When booking a cruise I just call one of the big box companies and book with whomever the call goes to. However, for my upcoming cruise I booked with the same TA I used two years ago, who provided me the utmost in customer service, I had to do some digging to find her name but she has been excellent. Got me an 2C cabin for the price of a 2D plus OBC. I picked the cabin location and cabin #. When I had major issues onboard several years ago regarding missing OBC (which was not the fault of the TA) they went to bat for me with Celebrity. My TA was unavailable at the time, but the manager on duty did all the work for me called the Miami office and got the ball rolling. My TA is worth her weight in gold and then some.

I'm not sure if you know this, but anyone who has sailed with Celebrity previously and has a Captain's Club number can get a 2C cabin for the price of a 2D.

Was not 100% sure but suspected it had something to do with my CC #. However, last December I booked a GTY cabin for a January sailing on the Reflection and within 5 days was assigned a 1A, hump cabin with huge angled balcony. Does anyone know how they determine who gets upgraded several categories in such short a timeframe?

I'm not sure if you know this, but anyone who has sailed with Celebrity previously and has a Captain's Club number can get a 2C cabin for the price of a 2D.

My TA once told me she was able to get me a great deal on a reduced fare. I said, yeah, I was about to call you and let you know the resident rate just kicked in LOL.