Will RCCL be next...

davekathy

I think they need to get rid of formal night, some people can't afford to buy formal wear so because of that they can't go to dinner? Dinner they paid for? If someone wants to wear formal attire, go for it but don't call it "formal night" and make it mandatory.

Not true. Maybe they elected not to dine in the MDR on Formal Evenings. We've seen plenty of Cruisers in the MDR on formal evening dressed Casually. It's not a big deal. Some posters on CC have even mentioned that the Head Waiters have encouraged them to dine in the MDR even if they were not dressed IAW the suggested evening dress guidelines for the MDR.

Edited by davekathy

Not true. Maybe they elected not to dine in the MDR on Formal Evenings. We've seen plenty of Cruisers in the MDR on formal evening dressed Casually. It's not a big deal. Some posters on CC have even mentioned that the Head Waiters have encouraged them to dine in the MDR even if they were not dressed IAW the suggested evening dress guidelines for the MDR.

I had a friend who wouldn't go because they couldn't afford to buy formal wear but they were to embarrassed to walk in dining room under dressed. They didn't know you didn't have to wear formal wear. It doesn't say casual wear optional.

I had a friend who wouldn't go because they couldn't afford to buy formal wear but they were to embarrassed to walk in dining room under dressed. They didn't know you didn't have to wear formal wear. It doesn't say casual wear optional.

Your friend has every bit as much right to be in there as someone thats in a tux or a dress :( He/she should NEVER feel embarrassed as most people on the cruise will not care one bit. In fact, had they told their waiters the night before that they would not be coming to dinner because they didnt have formal wear, the waiters would have insisted they come as they are.

Nothing is mandatory. There are only dress suggestions. They say no shorts at dinner but they hardly even enforce that.

Edited by ryano

...but no one from the dining staff said they couldn't. That was my point to your original post.

Your friend has every bit as much right to be in there as someone thats in a tux or a dress :( He/she should NEVER feel embarrassed as most people on the cruise will not care one bit. In fact, had they told their waiters the night before that they would not be coming to dinner because they didnt have formal wear, the waiters would have insisted they come as they are.

Nothing is mandatory. There are only dress suggestions. They say no shorts at dinner but they hardly even enforce that.

Agree with both of your statements.

Edited by davekathy

glad to see these legacy cruise events being taken away, hopefully they will come to there senses and get rid of main or late dining.

Give it a rest...You post the same type of thing on every one of these types of threads. Not sure why I even bother responding to you, since you're just being a troll.

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

I am a bit surprised that RCCL didn't adopt this policy first but suspect they will soon follow suit. Cruisers have become more and more casual and it probably is time for this change. In truth there really have not been formal nights in quite a while.

That said, I wish that they would have a real formal night. A pay to attend function, perhaps a $100 a couple. Something in a venue other than the MDR with a defined and enforced dress code. The event could have a cocktail hour, upscale menu, and include drinks.

Edited by Don Pedro

I wouldn't expect it to be packed every night. When we sailed on Quantum's first two sailings The Grande was full on sea days and emptier on port days. American Icon was the exact opposite because it was casual. So in that logic the opposite could be concluded that everyone wants formal which is not true.

Sadly even when Quantum launched they were already using the cover yourself with a jacket game and it's OK policy. The experience was a more upscale and formal dinner though. They waiters all seemed to have a slightly higher level of class and formality to the way they did things. Everyone also got a glass of champagne when seated and a tray of little deserts was placed on the table when the desert menus were brought out. IMO the food was the main element that lacked the class with the whole experience, it was no more formal than Chic.

Everyone likes to blame the passengers for the lack of formal night, but it seems like Royal Caribbean is the real one to blame here. They've just gotten lazy in the past few years and stopped caring about the individual itineraries. I remember when we first started sailing it was normal for formal night to fall on the first and last sea days. It was rare to be on a port night. Now they just follow a predetermined listing from corporate with no concern for if the guests can reasonably follow it. They still list formal, smart casual, and casual on their website but it's been years since I've seen smart causal officially listed in the compass. Instead every night is always casual except for night 2 and one to two other nights.

The Quantum class is all about data and it has given Royal Caribbean an immense amount of data around people's eating habits. The most important one is when people want to get dressed up. On so many of our recent cruises we've wondered when a formal night would fall after several casual sea days only for it to land on a port day! When the itinerary is half sea days their is no excuse for that. On the Jewel sailing that others have mentioned above, we had formal night on day 2 with a 7pm departure and a captain's reception at 7:15pm. That IMO was a completely unreasonable schedule that anyone looking at it should have realized. The one sea day we had was of course casual though. On day 2 I wanted to see our departure and attend the captain's reception so I skipped dinner. I still made it to the Windjammer for dinner in my suit and just like when I skipped dinner on night 2 onboard the Grandeur, most people in the windjammer were dressed formally.

If Royal Caribbean would look at their data and actually take the time to plan (really no time since a computer could do it all for them) the itineraries individually I think they would get more people choosing to follow the dress code. On the Quantum we treated American Icon as casual (polo), Silk as smart casual (buttoned shirt), Chic as formal (suit), and The Grande as extra formal (tuxedo). I planned all of our nights out based on what we were doing that day and our departure times. I'm sure after a year they have to be able to at a minimum see a relationship between sea/port days and the casual/formal venues.

Completely agree. If RCCL (and/or any other line) insists on continuing with formal nights, it's only common sense to schedule them only on sea days. But as always, "common sense isn't so common".

Anyway, real smart decision by Celebrity. Trying to ignore or deny such an obvious trend amongst your consumers is never a good idea - for any business - and clearly the trend is that the majority of customers would like to move away from formal nights.

I would hate to think that formal is dead for many traditionalist, or special occasion cruisers. I use to dress, in a suit never a tux and now days a sports coat and designer t shirt. I hope they do something for the above mentioned people, I would hate for them to seated with poorly dressed table mates.

I searched for a new phase to change formal to "dress up night" I love "evening chic" and true designer clothe are more fun and more useable that a tux or evening gown for many. Also most of the NICE clothes worn on formal night were modern "evening chic" anyway NOT FORMAL

I think it is a good move I hope they truly enforce some of the basics like no shorts, big overhauls, and most shirts with out collars. Something simple and easy to enforced.

That said, I wish that they would have a real formal night. A pay to attend function, perhaps a $100 a couple. Something in a venue other than the MDR with a defined and enforced dress code. The event could have a cocktail hour, upscale menu, and include drinks.

That's a good idea and a dance band too.

so many people have the "it's my cruise I will wear what I want bad attitude"

So it does not really matter. They are and never were going to wear jacket and tie.. It is so dependent on the dining room staff to "police" the dress code. we have all seen countless people in shorts on formal night.

Personally Ii just avoid the MDR as much as possible. But If I do go on a formal night, I always dress as suggested.

Sounds to me like YOU are the one with the bad attitude. Oh, how dare those, those, peasants dine in my presence wearing, oh, I can barely say it "SHORTS!" :eek:

They should be throttled. It's like they think Royal Caribbean is providing them with a service in exchange for money or something. Ridiculous. Dress as I command peasants.

That's actually a really cool idea. They could do it somewhere like Chops on one night of the cruise. White glove service, high end food, awesome atmosphere. Kinda like a "throwback" evening.

I'd definitely pay for that experience, if Royal actually made it worth the money, and provided a real formal atmosphere.

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

Have not experienced this as I am now planning what to pack for my cruise. SWMBO was worried that my jacket would not be acceptable as formal. Looks like it will be fine.

Maybe they should keep a Formal Night on each cruise along with a Nude Night. Cover both ends of the spectrum and make each optional. ;)

Have not experienced this as I am now planning what to pack for my cruise. SWMBO was worried that my jacket would not be acceptable as formal. Looks like it will be fine.

Maybe they should keep a Formal Night on each cruise along with a Nude Night. Cover both ends of the spectrum and make each optional. ;)

Could be a money maker. Food consumption would drop because of lost appetites and alcohol consumption would go up from trying to erase the memories.

When i saw a man stroll out of the MDR on the first formal night on Oasis 2 weeks ago wearing a wife beater top, shorts and flip flops.....i said to myself what the hell am i wearing a suit for ? And how did he even get in ?

Now that would bother me. I'm one of those people that doesn't really mind what the people around me are wearing, as long as they are presentable... Have some class people!

Still wearing the tux I bought in mid 90's. Thank goodness for adjusting waistband

LOL! As long as they keep renting them, I'll keep wearing them, chic or not. :D DW is giving me the :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: as I type. I told her it will screw-up my packing system. :D

Edited by Big_G

LOL! As long as they keep renting them, I'll keep wearing them, chic or not. :D DW is giving me the :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: as I type. I told her it will screw my packing system. :D

I need to find a pic from the first cruise with the tux and compare to last month. I'll bet it's been on 25 cruises, maybe more