1st time to KW. . is this possible?

Ready2Cruise2014

Husband and I will be in KW on January 29th. We arrive on the carnival victory at 7:30 am. I scheduled a snorkeling trip, thinking that the water would be warm. I'm from NJ, and wanted to know is this even possible?

We will also be in cozumel, so I didn't know if that would be the better option. Secondly, I'm DYING to try the conch. The snorkel trip will be back at 12:30 and drops us off at front and Greene st. Is there anywhere close to the port to get some conch and head back to ship. I don't want to jeopardize our trip by being late.

Thanks!

What time does your ship leave? Yes...I would think the water will still be warm enough, especially since you're from a place with COLD water!!!! There are sites to check water temps online....in mid-Dec....start checking. I think any water under 85 degrees is chilly....

Can't help with the conch....no desire for that type of seafood!

Late January the water is about as cold as it gets. Maybe around 70 degrees. Most people need a wet suit or shorty wet suit to stay in the water for any length of time. We also get chilly weather sometimes that time of year and a combination of chilly weather and chilly water doesn't make the best snorkeling.

Cozumel will have warmer water and better snorkeling in my opinion.

B.O's Fish Wagon has good Fried Cracked Conch sandwiches and very good Conch Fritters.

If you snorkel in KW that time of year, you're likely to be more comfortable in a wet suit, which most companies rent for roughly $10. Plus if they're having a "cold" spell (and by that I mean, probably upper 60s, which is not cold compared to most other places in the country at that time of year), you may not really want to jump in the water even with a wet suit.

When I went from KW to Cozumel in January, the water in Coz was definitely warmer, but not as much as I expected. A few degrees at that time of year can make a difference, though.

I've found that in both places, wind is more of a factor at that time of year (maybe most times of year), as that affects visibility and roughness of water. I was in Cozumel twice (both Jan), and the first time, snorkeling was great, but it was too rough to go the second time.

So, while I'd also recommend Cozumel at that time of year in general, on any given day, conditions may be better in KW. I know it's hard to know about the conditions ahead of time, so in recent years, I try to make sure I'm booked on either a trip that can be cancelled or a nice, not too crowded boat, so if snorkeling isn't that great, at least I've had a nice boat ride.

Conch is OK at best, nothing to die for...........

We've been in the water in January many times. It's cooler than other times but not frigid by any means. As others have said, the other issue could be if you're there during one of those cool periods that Florida can see that time of year.

Edited by bouhunter

Conch is OK at best, nothing to die for...........

We've been in the water in January many times. It's cooler than other times but not frigid by any means. As others have said, the other issue could be if you're there during one of those cool periods that Florida can see that time of year.

I politely disagree about the Conch! I LOVE it! It's my favorite! I concur with the B.O. Fishwagon for Conch. You can find fritters other places, but full pieces of conch is much better than rolled in a ball of dough. :)

I will agree that if you are going to snorkel in one of the two places.....make it Cozumel!! Spend your day eating and drinking your way around Key West.

• 3 weeks later...
You guys are awesome ! So I think we will keep our reservation with Fury Adventure. I'm from NJ so 70 sounds like bath water lol. Thanks for all the great info.

The Adventure has enough other activities that not being able to stay in the water too long while snorkeling won't mean the day is wasted.

Pjk

My daughter and SIL lived in Key West for a while when he was in the Navy. In fact, my Grandson was born in Key West. LOVE conch and I love the conch fritters. I wouldn't go to Key West without trying them if I were you...and don't forget to try the Key Lime pie. SO many things to see and do in Key West that you will be planning your next trip back while you are there. We've been back many times since they moved from there and we will in Key West NEXT December on a cruise to celebrate that Grandson's graduation from college. Enjoy.

• 3 months later...