Difference Between "Welcome Back" and "Top Tier Event"

Garavar

Looking over a 7 day cruise compass and I see there are 2 seperate C & A events. One is "Welcome Back" and the other is "Top Tier Event"

I have been to one of these events but I can't remember which kind. The one I went to had some appetizers that were similar to CL food. There were ushers passing around a mixed drink and some awards were given out.

What is the difference between the two?

Looking over a 7 day cruise compass and I see there are 2 seperate C & A events. One is "Welcome Back" and the other is "Top Tier Event"

I have been to one of these events but I can't remember which kind. The one I went to had some appetizers that were similar to CL food. There were ushers passing around a mixed drink and some awards were given out.

What is the difference between the two?

The Welcome Back is for all C&A members while the top tier event is for a specific C&A level and above (usually Platinum and above). It is pretty much the same appetizers and drinks but may include entertainment also.

I have been on 7 cruises and only once seen or heard/been invited to a "welcome back" party...

What am I missing here?

Not sure, but we always receive an invitation in the stateroom. Some short cruises (3 days) might not have the parties. Also, you would have to have your C&A number on your reservation.

I have been on 7 cruises and only once seen or heard/been invited to a "welcome back" party...

What am I missing here?

I think Bob nailed it. In looking at the ships you sailed, those cruises were likely too short for a welcome back party.

Ps: I just noticed that the welcome back party is now only offered on cruises of 7 nights or more.

Edited by APDMOM
PS added

So pretty much the events are the same, except Golds arent invited to one...very nice

Not exactly... different ships have different top tier events. On Freedom, we had a smaller, more intimate party in a lounge, with more opportunities to interact with the captain, activities director, and hotel director.

On Oasis, the top tier event was a special sailaway party on the helipad (from Labadee). That was a really nice event, as the helipad is usually closed to the public/passengers on Oasis. No snacks were offered, but they served sparkling wine.

The Welcome Back is for all C&A members while the top tier event is for a specific C&A level and above (usually Platinum and above). It is pretty much the same appetizers and drinks but may include entertainment also.

That seems like a fair statement. I think it, like other things may vary from ship to ship and maybe week to week depending on how many C&A members were on board. I recently had the audacity to attend both while on Freedom of the Seas (I was officially still emerald, though my 3 days on that cruise put me at the Diamond requirements. ) I went with my piers to the Gold to Emerald event, then crashed the Diamond one because we got the invitation in our room. The drinks were the same, the Diamond event had some hot appetizers. It also had the same entertainment and a little more involving the aerial artists. There was a special ceremony for the people who just became pinnacle that cruise.

That seems like a fair statement. I think it, like other things may vary from ship to ship and maybe week to week depending on how many C&A members were on board. I recently had the audacity to attend both while on Freedom of the Seas (I was officially still emerald, though my 3 days on that cruise put me at the Diamond requirements. ) I went with my piers to the Gold to Emerald event, then crashed the Diamond one because we got the invitation in our room. The drinks were the same, the Diamond event had some hot appetizers. It also had the same entertainment and a little more involving the aerial artists. There was a special ceremony for the people who just became pinnacle that cruise.

The top tier event is actually for platinum and up, at least according to the crown and anchor levels reward list. We got an invitation on both the cruises we have taken as platinum. Maybe you were at one of the nightly diamond events? :)

I had an invitation to both on my recent Adventure cruise. I was surprised to get one for the top tier event because we turned platinum while on that cruise. There was a band for entertainment along with finger food and champagne! : :cool:

Edited by bigque

Yes,all of my cruises have been 4 day ones so far...but on EOS in April I was invited to a welcome back...which was actually my 4th time on that ship.

But I didn't think it meant welcome back to that particular ship.

I always have my C&A # on my reservation and my seapass card shows gold.

I cant remember if it was something that was listed in the cruise compass or not. I know for the April cruise I received the invite in my room. But thought it was listed as well in the cruise compass.

Next cruise is a 5 day cruise on Independence in Jan..I will be asking about it at Guest Services.

I will say the sail away party on the Allure from Labadee on the Helipad was one of the best we attended.

Shrek made the party.

Champagne did too:D

We all looked like dressed up beach bums in pool coverups:eek:

No one was turned away.

We however quickly showered and change into shorts....we were over dressed.

Enjoy

Edited by Lionesss

Guest maddycat
Yes,all of my cruises have been 4 day ones so far...but on EOS in April I was invited to a welcome back...which was actually my 4th time on that ship.

But I didn't think it meant welcome back to that particular ship.

I always have my C&A # on my reservation and my seapass card shows gold.

I cant remember if it was something that was listed in the cruise compass or not. I know for the April cruise I received the invite in my room. But thought it was listed as well in the cruise compass.

Next cruise is a 5 day cruise on Independence in Jan..I will be asking about it at Guest Services.

The one who you should ask is the loyalty ambassador.

What all is offered at these parties? Dance? Performance? Dinner? Or does everyone just get to know each other

It varies, except that I've never dinner served. Several years ago, Monarch would have a breakfast for the top tier group on the 4-day itinerary, but I've not seen that on other ships. Drinks are always served, and sometimes snacks. Sometimes there is music and some folks will dance.

The top tier event is actually for platinum and up, at least according to the crown and anchor levels reward list. We got an invitation on both the cruises we have taken as platinum. Maybe you were at one of the nightly diamond events? :)

Freedom was experimenting on that cruise by hosting a top tier event for Diamonds on up. The welcome back party was only for gold, platinum and emerald. Passengers were only invited to one event on that week.

I've seen entertainment at some of the top tier parties, but generally not at the regular ones.

I don't know, on Oasis I think there was more entertainment at the regular event. The top tier event, as somebody mentioned earlier, was a sailaway party on the helipad as we were departing Nassau. The regular event was at the Aquatheater and featured a small skit by the captain and hotel director riding around on oversized bikes as well as demonstrations by the divers and gymnasts in the cast of Oasis of Dreams.

What all is offered at these parties? Dance? Performance? Dinner? Or does everyone just get to know each other

Yeah, as above the regular event on Oasis featured drinks, performance, and all the officers/department heads introducing themselves (but with no interaction with them). The top tier event featured drinks, music, the sailaway, and an opportunity to interact with the department heads that were there. I can't recall what the regular event was on Majesty; on Serenade it was free drinks and a little talk by the Loyalty Ambassador; on Freedom it was free drinks and a little talk by the captain and the Loyalty Ambassador.

I was on the same cruise as Bill. Freedom was experimenting on that cruise by hosting a top tier event for Diamonds on up. The welcome back party was only for gold, platinum and emerald. Passengers were only invited to one event that week. Not sure if Freedom is still doing that.

I think you have to amend that to say usually, which I would agree with. However, on my Jewel 2014 cruise the top tier was emerald and above, I remember calling down to my friends cabin and telling him your can't go, your only platinum. (We are competitive that way, I'm not that much of a jerk) But on the Majesty 2013 4 day it was platinum and above.

I was on the same cruise as Bill. Freedom was experimenting on that cruise by hosting a top tier event for Diamonds on up. The welcome back party was only for gold, platinum and emerald. Passengers were only invited to one event that week. Not sure if Freedom is still doing that.

I still remember going to the first one because I was supposed to, but walked into the 2nd one with my invitation in hand. Casey the CD spoke to both my wife and I each time. I was afraid we would bust us, but I guess all of Americans look alike ;) I also remembered the Captain spoke too long so some of the older members got up and walked out during his talk despite him mentioning he knew the cook and dinner would still be there.

Edited by BillOh

Thanks for explaining...

We will find out next week and report back. :)