Buckets of beer??????

suncityjim

I'm a long time NCL cruiser and NCL has a special at all of the bars on every cruise offering buy 5 beers in an iced bucket and get the 6th bottle free.

Does HAL offer any such special deal on beer?

TIA.

Jim

I was just on the Zuiderdam and yes, you can order a bucket of beer, but I don't think there is any "buy 5, get one free" deal. Referring to an older bar menu, they sell a bucket of 5 domestic (US) beers for $20 and 5 imported for $22. Nothing mentioned about a free one if you buy 5. Earlier this fall, HAL raised drink prices a bit, so these prices are close, but not exact.

On my cruise, I had the signature beverage package, which get you 15 drinks per person/per day for the duration of your cruise. Those 15 can be beer, water, cocktails, specialty coffees, anything under $8 on the drink menu.

I know my DBIL buys his buckets of beer during a happy hour and has always managed to get the regular happy hour "deal" of buy one at full price and get the second for a dollar. Then he takes the bucket to the stateroom! He might also drink one at the bar, but I'm not sure!:)

Sorry, editing to say, the last time was June, and things keep changing, so you never know how things are, but worth a try!

Edited by Vict0riann

I don't know about any deals during Happy Hour as we do not drink beer.

But I finally got into HAL's site.

Prices listed below are all for 6 packs and include the 15% gratuity.

Budweiser domestic beer -- $28.75

Bud Light domestic beer -- $28.75

Miller Genuine domestic beer -- $28.75

Miller Light domestic beer -- $28.75

Heineken Imported beer -- $32.50

Amstel Light Imported beer -- $32.50

Corona Imported beer -- $32.50

I don't know about any deals during Happy Hour as we do not drink beer.

But I finally got into HAL's site.

Prices listed below are all for 6 packs and include the 15% gratuity.

Budweiser domestic beer -- $28.75

Bud Light domestic beer -- $28.75

Miller Genuine domestic beer -- $28.75

Miller Light domestic beer -- $28.75

Heineken Imported beer -- $32.50

Amstel Light Imported beer -- $32.50

Corona Imported beer -- $32.50

OP, NCL usually uses the bigger aluminum bottles... not sure if HAL does... I've seen the 6 packs as cans from time to time as well...

Edited by InTheWASide

It should be mentioned that the bucket of beer pre ordered for your cabin does not come with a bottle opener. You need to have your own with you.

Excellent tip And even if you ask the room steward for one, he will stand there and wait for it back because it's his only one and it is in demand on embarkation day.:D

For the OP familiar with NCL and their prices... "under $8" gives you options of most things on HAL... $8 on NCL would barely get you a shot :)

In order to put this in perspective, it is worth mentioning that NCL permits beverages up to (at least) $11 each under their UBP and if what you order is higher than that, they will credit the $11 and only charge for the overage.

If you order a drink that costs more than $8 on HAL, you get no credit for your beverage plan and are charged the full amount of the drink with no consideration you have a beverage plan. That $8 makes for very, very few choices for those who want a decent glass of wine by the glass at a lounge/bar.

Edited by sail7seas

In order to put this in perspective, it is worth mentioning that NCL permits beverages up to (at least) $11 each under their UBP and if what you order is higher than that, they will credit the $11 and only charge for the overage.

If you order a drink that costs more than $8 on HAL, you get no credit for your beverage plan and are charged the full amount of the drink with no consideration you have a beverage plan. That $8 makes for very, very few choices for those who want a decent glass of wine by the glass at a lounge/bar.

I'll add one additional bit to that. NCL doesn't include bottled waters and I think there's a few more restrictions... I believe HAL's beverage package only has the main restrictions of under $8 and up to 15/day. So more lenient although the pricing limits are different

I'll add one additional bit to that. NCL doesn't include bottled waters and I think there's a few more restrictions... I believe HAL's beverage package only has the main restrictions of under $8 and up to 15/day. So more lenient although the pricing limits are different

The very low HAL pricing limit puts me out of luck. The lousy wine they offer that is just under the $8 is not at all to my taste. I don't need (or want) a fabulously costly wine by the glass but I can't even have a Robert Mondavi which most consider a rather unexciting choice and certainly not costly. HAL will not credit the $8 toward a wine that might be $9 or so by the glass. :rolleyes: Why would I get a beverage card and pay the full $9 (apprx) with no beverage plan courtesy? I sincerely doubt this is unique to me.

Speaking only for myself, I almost never have bottled water. Ice water from the pitcher is fine for me. My home community has high quality water from the tap and I am very used to drinking tap water. :)

Edited by sail7seas

It is worth mentioning that NCL permits beverages up to (at least) $11 each under their UBP and if what you order is higher than that, they will credit the $11 and only charge for the overage.

FYI, NCL revised the limit to $15 in October.

Thanks to all of you for your replies to my question.

I do believe that there will be a good supply of buckets for my cruise in March.

Thanks especially to sapper1 for the heads-up about pre-ordering a bucket for departure day.

Happy cruising to all.

Jim

Thanks especially to sapper1 for the heads-up about pre-ordering a bucket for departure day.

If you're ordering buckets, you may be trying to squeeze your budget, so be aware that a bucket delivered while you're still in port on departure day may incur local sales tax, depending on the port. I think Fort Lauderdale is one port where local taxes are applied.

If you're ordering buckets, you may be trying to squeeze your budget, so be aware that a bucket delivered while you're still in port on departure day may incur local sales tax, depending on the port. I think Fort Lauderdale is one port where local taxes are applied.

If you check "delivery st sea" you will not be charged tax but the item will most likely be in your cabin upon arrival. That has always been our experience.

As to bottle openers, I do remember them on the older ships but not on the newer ones

Why would you say we were trying to squeeze our budget? My husband just likes to have beer in the cabin for himself and friends at sailaways.

Edited by sapper1