Powdered Mashed Potatoes

Cruising Princess

I just got back from a week onboard the Reflection. I was so disappointed and surprised to find out they don't make certain food items anymore (such as rolls and mashed potatoes).

Almost every dinner meal came with an ice cream scoop of fake mashed potatoes. I complained to the waiter and he told me they don't make them on board any more but buy them. He also said the ship only makes the bread sticks and french bread. All the other rolls are now purchased ready made.

I am shocked that Celebrity, which is rated at the top of all cruise lines in their class, would rather save a few pennies vs hurt their customer satisfaction by skimping on food items like mashed potatoes.

Has anyone else discovered a food item that isn't up the quality they use to provide????

I just got back from a week onboard the Reflection. I was so disappointed and surprised to find out they don't make certain food items anymore (such as rolls and mashed potatoes).

Almost every dinner meal came with an ice cream scoop of fake mashed potatoes. I complained to the waiter and he told me they don't make them on board any more but buy them. He also said the ship only makes the bread sticks and french bread. All the other rolls are now purchased ready made.

I am shocked that Celebrity, which is rated at the top of all cruise lines in their class, would rather save a few pennies vs hurt their customer satisfaction by skimping on food items like mashed potatoes.

Has anyone else discovered a food item that isn't up the quality they use to provide????

Most of it!:mad:

Regards, Ned

Celebrity is cutting costs everywhere it can while asserting it is providing "modern luxury". At some point, of course, that model breaks...but until then expect to see freshly squeezed orange juice replaced with "fresh orange juice", powdered eggs, powdered mash potatoes, flowers and toiletries disappearing, upgraded towels disappearing and similar. Personally, I don't include any of those in the same sentence as "luxury", but I guess most passengers either do or don't care.

Of course there are those that say Celebrity must do it to be competitive....or they must maximize profit any way they can. That usually backfires over time...but each CEO hopes to be out of their job before the sky falls.

At least your waiter was honest about the potatoes.

FWIW - recently entered a cooking contest for Thanksgiving dinner. You were allowed one item. The overall winner was mashed potatoes made from instant. They were a quality item from Costco with sour cream and garlic added, but instant mashed potatoes today are far different from those I (and probably you) grew up with that were terrible. made properly a top chef could not tell fresh mashed from those prepared from instant.

Many years ago when packaged mashed potato flakes first became widely available, I saw a cooking show where the cook told everyone how to make the powered potatoes with a few lumps in them so they would appear more genuine! Sounds like Celebrity could use a lesson.

Are you the one that posted that Blu used powdered eggs? :p

That was seriously the dumbest post I ever read! :cool:

Edited by A Sixth?

The more I read on these boards about food and dining the more it sounds like our local Denny's.

There's only one thing worse than powdered potatoes is powered eggs! both are yuck!

Even the army doesn't use powdered eggs.... the boys have guns and wouldn't put up with it. :D

My understanding is that Celebrity only uses fresh eggs. A large proportion of Deck One is reserved for a gigantic chicken coop. Most of the chicken population is refreshed at the end of the cruise to assure tenderness. Haven't you noticed near the end of a cruise there is more chicken on menus and fewer eggs?

Edited by rwb

I hear they are even cloning vegetables now. That broccoli your eatin, well it's simply a replica of the one the diner at the table next to you s eating.

I hear they are also switching to pastic silverware....:D. Ohhhh i can have so much fun with this lol

and of course paper plates .... and let's not forget the "I can't believe it's not butter"

My understanding is that Celebrity only uses fresh eggs. A large proportion of Deck One is reserved for a gigantic chicken coop. Most of the chicken population is refreshed at the end of the cruise to assure tenderness. Haven't you noticed near the end of a cruise there is more chicken on menus and fewer eggs?

That's true on M-Class ships. S-Class ships have free-range chickens on the lawn.

And the scrambled eggs you eat in a hotel in the U.S. may quite likely have been prepared in Sioux Falls, South Dakota.

The 100,000 pounds of scrambled eggs that will be packaged in the factory this week will be sent to national hotel chains, served as part of a continental breakfast.

Full Story

Even the army doesn't use powdered eggs.... the boys have guns and wouldn't put up with it. :D

Yep. And except for things that require whole eggs like fried or poached eggs, the ships all use "pasteurized egg product" which are whole eggs taken out of the shells, scrambled, and pasteurized. It generally comes in gallon jugs for commercial use. This is a requirement of USPH to prevent salmonella from un or undercooked egg foods like Ceasar salad dressing, eggnog, custards, hollandaise, etc. Storage is much easier than shell eggs.

We're they really powdered? I really hope not. Maybe when the waiter said that they don't make them on board be meant they bought frozen mashed potatoes.

It'd be disappointing if they really are powdered. It makes a huge difference in the quality.

We're they really powdered? I really hope not. Maybe when the waiter said that they don't make them on board be meant they bought frozen mashed potatoes.

It'd be disappointing if they really are powdered. It makes a huge difference in the quality.

No. Powdered eggs are almost exclusively used in baking product.

Blu actually uses fresh whole eggs. MDR scrambled the pasteurized product and whole eggs (you can watch them crack them)

Alarmists with issues will say otherwise.:cool:

No. Powdered eggs are almost exclusively used in baking product.

Blu actually uses fresh whole eggs. MDR scrambled the pasteurized product and whole eggs (you can watch them crack them)

Alarmists with issues will say otherwise.:cool:

I meant the potatoes.

At least your waiter was honest about the potatoes.

FWIW - recently entered a cooking contest for Thanksgiving dinner. You were allowed one item. The overall winner was mashed potatoes made from instant. They were a quality item from Costco with sour cream and garlic added, but instant mashed potatoes today are far different from those I (and probably you) grew up with that were terrible. made properly a top chef could not tell fresh mashed from those prepared from instant.

You can "flavor up " instant potatoes but there is no way to pass them as real.

Gluten Free recomendations include asking your scrambled eggs to be GF, meaning not poured from a carton.

Its hard to believe Luminae does not bake its products, and also I was told last year they are making their own pizza dough now. Maybe it changed?

:

Sorry, but Blu also uses liquid eggs for their omelets. I could immediately tell. The next morning, I asked for real eggs and what a difference!