So what happens with your stuff.........

Laszlo

When you are left at the dock?

A coworker of mine asked me that this morning. His brother almost missed the ship yesterday (somewhere in the Western Caribbean. He asked so what happens to your luggage, clothes etc.... when you miss the ship. I said I have no idea what the cruise line does with it. Anyone?

Packed up by housekeeping, send to your home address they have on record. I think it is send at your expense.

This sounds logical to me. I presume they would do it when they get to the final destination in case you catch up with the ship later.

If you miss the ship then it is your fault and you bear the costs. I wonder if insurance would cover anything like this if you just "missed the ship"

Mike

I would guess it all depends what your plans might be. Once you speak to the port agent I am sure they talk to the ship. You will need your passport right away however if you plans are to rejoin the ship at the next port there is no need to pack your cloths.

Does anyone really think they are going to pack your suitcase and leave it on the dock? I would be a heck of a lot more worried about my passport, cash, credit cards, etc. which the last time I checked would be considered "stuff" which is what the OP asked about, not just clothing. I think they will open your safe and leave any money, credit cards, passport and other valuables you have stored there with the port agent. Sounds like you get to pay for getting your suitcase back home.

I would doubt most people even know that ports have "agents" who can be contacted. The ship's number and the port agent number is always on the Freestyle Daily. I always take the number with me when we go ashore, just in case something unusual happens and we are running late. The ship MIGHT wait for someone who has called to report their taxi was in an accident and their ETA is 10 minutes past departure time. Those who don't call probably arrive just in time to see the ship backing off the peir.

It's regularly reported on these forums that they will open your safe, take out whatever is there, and leave it with the port agent. However, if you are actually looking for first hand accounts of this happening, you will have difficulty finding any, or perhaps very, very few. People act like this is standard practice, and it is not.

Does anyone really think they are going to pack your suitcase and leave it on the dock? I would be a heck of a lot more worried about my passport, cash, credit cards, etc. which the last time I checked would be considered "stuff" which is what the OP asked about, not just clothing. I think they will open your safe and leave any money, credit cards, passport and other valuables you have stored there with the port agent. Sounds like you get to pay for getting your suitcase back home.

I would doubt most people even know that ports have "agents" who can be contacted. The ship's number and the port agent number is always on the Freestyle Daily. I always take the number with me when we go ashore, just in case something unusual happens and we are running late. The ship MIGHT wait for someone who has called to report their taxi was in an accident and their ETA is 10 minutes past departure time. Those who don't call probably arrive just in time to see the ship backing off the peir.

My dad got seriously injured on a non-ship sponsored excursion. He needed to get some tests done at a local medical center. The port agent handled everything. I now always take that number with me. It always surprised me is that the PA number is on the daily- not the "sales" map they give you when exiting the ship. Why would you take the freestyle/daily off with you? It should be on both.

Edited by queenschick9b

I think you are just out of luck. You would either pick up your items when the ship arrives home, or you will meet the ship at the next port if possible or you make arrangements with the cruise agency to ship your belongings. Any way that happens, you will make those arrangements with the cruise line.

As far as a person from the ship going to your stateroom, finding your passport which everyone is assuming is in the safe and leaving it at the dock seems unlikely. I believe the ship just leaves and you are on your own. (Maybe you were smart and have your passport with you along with a credit card and cash).

My dad got seriously injured on a non-ship sponsored excursion. He needed to get some tests done at a local medical center. The port agent handled everything. I now always take that number with me. It always surprised me is that the PA number is on the daily- not the "sales" map they give you when exiting the ship. Why would you take the freestyle/daily off with you? It should be on both.

Did your Dad actually miss the ship? What did the port agent actually do for him?

We missed the ship about 10 years ago and nothing was taken from our safe. Our passports were in the safe. We never talked to the port agent, as it never occurred to either of us. Luckily we had ID's and credit cards in my wallet so we were able to book the flight and a hotel room for the night. We met the ship the next afternoon. When we reboarded nobody on the ship said a word to us about our missing movement.

I always carry my passport these days when out of the country. That is its purpose and a copy will do you no good. When we missed the ship were in Mexico and the next port was also in Mexico and we weren't required to have a passport for the flight. We also both had FM-3's (mexican immigration documents) so that might have made a difference as well. Carry your passports with you!

Jingle

Pier runners are a spectator sport in my family. We were in Nassau in September aboard the Enchantment of the Seas and were parked next to the Disney Dream, getting our "sport" on, we didn't leave until midnight so we had the whole place to gawk at. So we are watching the pier, the Dream was about 45 mins. past departure and out rolls out some luggage by Disney staff, a few minutes later the couple who the luggage belonged to showed up and was allowed to embark. So they will pack you up and dump you.

We missed the ship about 10 years ago and nothing was taken from our safe. Our passports were in the safe. We never talked to the port agent, as it never occurred to either of us. Luckily we had ID's and credit cards in my wallet so we were able to book the flight and a hotel room for the night. We met the ship the next afternoon. When we reboarded nobody on the ship said a word to us about our missing movement.

I always carry my passport these days when out of the country. That is its purpose and a copy will do you no good. When we missed the ship were in Mexico and the next port was also in Mexico and we weren't required to have a passport for the flight. We also both had FM-3's (mexican immigration documents) so that might have made a difference as well. Carry your passports with you!

Jingle

While there is no way to know for sure, your experience might have been totally different IF you had contacted the ship and the port agent. If I am ever in the position of potentially missing the ship, that is exactly what I will do.

I will not carry my original passport off the ship. I may have a copy in my purse, but that's it other than my DL, ship card, a little cash and a credit card. The passport, cash and any other cc's or valuables are in the safe. I am much more likely to have my passport stolen or lost in port than I am to miss the ship, and I am not about to take that chance. If I don't get it back through the port agent, I may have to jump through a few hoops to fly without one outside the USA, but it can be done. Otherwise, there must be an enclave of US citizens in every port who have been unable to return home without their missing passports;).

Did your Dad actually miss the ship? What did the port agent actually do for him?

He made it back in time, but the port agent arranged all the transportation to the medical facility (drivers, appointments) etc. Our family was all together when the accident happened and I went into the safe for them and took all of their passports, money, and insurance paper work out, so we didn't have to ask the ship or the port agent. The port agent was the person that recommended they take everything just in case. He facilitated getting the x-rays, etc sent back to the ship. The ship (it was an RCL not an NCL) did nothing to help -- probably because we took the tour on our own, but who knows.

It was very stressful but the port agent person was very helpful.

(Also, this more than missing a trip is why I always take the insurance now. We didn't even know before this cruise that it covered our medical - everything that was charged from the ship's infirmary, where my dad still had to spend the night when he came back on board and the meds they gave him, the x-rays they took as well -- all of it got reimbursed through our travel insurance without any issues/hassles)

Edited by queenschick9b

• 2 weeks later...
While there is no way to know for sure, your experience might have been totally different IF you had contacted the ship and the port agent. If I am ever in the position of potentially missing the ship, that is exactly what I will do.

I will not carry my original passport off the ship. I may have a copy in my purse, but that's it other than my DL, ship card, a little cash and a credit card. The passport, cash and any other cc's or valuables are in the safe. I am much more likely to have my passport stolen or lost in port than I am to miss the ship, and I am not about to take that chance. If I don't get it back through the port agent, I may have to jump through a few hoops to fly without one outside the USA, but it can be done. Otherwise, there must be an enclave of US citizens in every port who have been unable to return home without their missing passports;).

Without a passport you better hope there is a USA embassy/consulate in the city you are in. A lost passport is not the huge deal that you make it out to be. Being stuck in a city without a consulate or embassy is. Passport are designed to be carried. In many countries you will be unable to book a airplane ticket or even a hotel room without it. Your fear of it's loss is unwise. Just some notes from 20 years of living abroad and seeing many situations. :)

Without a passport you better hope there is a USA embassy/consulate in the city you are in. A lost passport is not the huge deal that you make it out to be. Being stuck in a city without a consulate or embassy is. Passport are designed to be carried. In many countries you will be unable to book a airplane ticket or even a hotel room without it. Your fear of it's loss is unwise. Just some notes from 20 years of living abroad and seeing many situations. :)

Thank you we are doing a 9 day cruise then paris and amsterdam and this post reminded me I should have those numbers available should I or someone else in my party needs them