What on earth is happening to royal caribbean

If you read the the other cruise line boards on CC, then you will find similar reviews. Some people lament the fact that HAL, Celebrity, Princess, or whoever have gone "downhill" in service and food. However, others have a wonderful cruise and can't wait for the next one. Obviously, the cruise lines are not hurting so there are lots of happy folks on board.

I always smile when I read that someone complains about the crowded Windjammer or the crowded elevators on the Allure or Oasis. I have to wonder what do they expect when sailing on a ship with 5800+ passengers? If one desires a small number of passengers and intimate service, then they should sail on a small cruise line that charges for that atmosphere.

I, for one, am very excited about my upcoming Allure cruise. ONLY 6 more days!!!

Edited by kalliekae

Guest maddycat

ta

Just off the Liberty yesterday. This was our second RC cruise (other was Allure), and have had 3 on X. My thoughts were:

1. MDR food was hit or miss. Beef wasn't very good, seafood was ok, lamb was great, chicken and pork were acceptable. Escargot was available most nights. Breakfast and lunch were better than dinner, although the Tutti choices were much more limited.

2. Windjammer was not very good IMO. This was the worst cruise buffet we had experienced. Not much variety, and quality was lacking. We never had dinner there, so can't judge that.

3. Portofino's was ok.

4. Service - We actually had some of the best on this ship. The MDR staff we had most nights was fantastic. We had cocktails and refills before we needed to ask for them. We were greeted by name by the staff at the entrance and the Maitre D. Our stateroom attendant was a pleasure to have, as he was always singing in the halls. Bartenders were good, never a wait. The only areas I saw lacking were poolside and Windjammer waiters. Never could find either. We did have a server 1 night in MDR that was not good, but we requested a specific table for the rest of the cruise, and we had it every night thereafter.

5. Entertainment - Surprisingly good. In the Air and Saturday Night Fever were both very entertaining. Ice show was far better than what we saw on Allure.

We were on the Liberty's Oct. 22 cruise. We thought that the Windjammer was the worst of any of our 20 RCI cruises. Awful tasting, unappealing food choices for both lunch and dinner. There wasn't enough help busing the tables during breakfast and lunch. The last 3 mornings of our cruise we were treated to some entertainment. A supervisor and one of the servers played the drums and symbols. The last thing that I want to hear first thing in the morning is more noise. The Windjammer is loud enough without someone banging away on drums and symbols.

I don't enjoy hot food for lunch when sailing in the Caribbean. When it's 90 degrees and very humid outside, I want a cold lunch. The only cold choices were salad and two types of sandwiches. The "chef" on the Liberty decided that a salami sandwich should have mayonnaise on it........yuck. I don't know why they put condiments on any of their sandwiches when condiments are available so that you can choose what you like.

During a 10 night cruise we usually enjoy going to the Windjammer 2 or 3 times for a quiet, more casual dinner. Not on this cruise.

Rant over.

Hi Sam. :) I can't disagree with you. Unfortunately, I think we get caught up in sameness and really notice when something isn't so anymore. If I can offer a suggestion...just trying another line as a first timer can be very refreshing. Try a Celebrity Solstice Class ship for some wow factor, or try HAL for relaxation and great service. One, it'll make you hit the reset button with cruising and two, you'll find yourself missing certain RCI features. Then come back to RCI and love your cruise! :)

I think we are going to go with Celebrity next February. We will become D+ this Feb, and we are planning to do Alaska this summer. We want to experience the D+ and stay with a known and trusted product for the big investment of an Alaska cruisetour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was on the 11/1 Grandeur sailing. Everything except the food was great. Windjammer was like Golden Corral with much worse desserts. MDR was hit and miss. i ordered the Chops filet 2X to get something I wanted and I like most food.

Just been reading reviews written about various Royal Caribbean ships, a lot of them are saying the same - What on earth is happing to Royal Caribbean. The service is becoming very also ran, cabins are being handed over to passengers dirty. The food is becoming so repetitive and boring. The quality of the food especially the meat is very poor. Lots of people are saying that they have had enough and are going elsewhere.

I am sure that there are plenty of people out there that will say they they have had a wonderful time on RC, but the ones that haven't seem to increase rather a lot.

I thought it was just me. In the last 24 hours I've read more than a few reviews from people just back from either the Nov 8th or 15th Allure cruises and everyone was complaining about the food, the crowds, etc. I only saw one that really spoke to uncleanliness and that was in a GS. Some of the complaints were based on lack of pre-cruise research and planning on the cruisers' part, others were just overall dissatisfaction because they had to deal with crowds on a ship that has 5,000+ passengers and it took 15 min for a drink and 5 minutes to get an elevator. :eek: None of this is diminishing my excitement as my own embarkation moves closer but if I were a new cruiser and just reading the boards I would be giving the side-eye to RCI.

Edited by DeesEscape

If you read the the other cruise line boards on CC, then you will find similar reviews. Some people lament the fact that HAL, Celebrity, Princess, or whoever have gone "downhill" in service and food. However, others have a wonderful cruise and can't wait for the next one. Obviously, the cruise lines are not hurting so there are lots of happy folks on board.

I always smile when I read that someone complains about the crowded Windjammer or the crowded elevators on the Allure or Oasis. I have to wonder what do they expect when sailing on a ship with 5800+ passengers? If one desires a small number of passengers and intimate service, then they should sail on a small cruise line that charges for that atmosphere.

I, for one, am very excited about my upcoming Allure cruise. ONLY 6 more days!!!

Here! Here! I'm still very much excited for our upcoming Allure cruise as well. :D

Just got off the liberty yesterday, I'll have to agree that the cuts of meat in the main dining room that I was served were not the best I have had, but the waitstaff did a good job. Also, did not hear the band playing much around the pool area it was very subdued this last cruise compared to previous ones that I had been on.

Just got off the liberty yesterday, I'll have to agree that the cuts of meat in the main dining room that I was served were not the best I have had, but the waitstaff did a good job. Also, did not hear the band playing much around the pool area it was very subdued this last cruise compared to previous ones that I had been on.

Hoping this was just an isolated Liberty incident, and that it'll get better after she gets situated in Galveston.

Food on Oasis in May was very good to great. Hoping the same is true for Allure in February. But I'm sure someone on that same Oasis cruise hated the food.

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

I have been cruising since 1992 mostly on RC. I do think cruising has changed in so many ways. It is definitely not as formal as it used to be, and I don't mean just the dress code. Most cruisers nowadays would not appreciate the sommelier in the dining room, for example.

The cruise lines have changed to match the passengers. Food is so subjective. I have had tough meat, cold soup, etc., but that happens at home too. I have never had a waiter who didn't offer to replace a not so good meal.

Cabin stewards can be good/excellent but again I have never had one that was truly bad.

Nowadays everyone is so connected to their phones/cameras etc. that they report on everything. Unfortunately, not just with cruising, but life in general and everything is expected to be perfect ...... So tired of hearing that "I paid for it."

I was born and raised in Europe. Lived in the US for many years and remember having to book a phone call to wish family a Merry Christmas! Today's cruisers for the most part couldn't comprehend.

My rant is over! Just trying to point out that everything changes, not always for the best. If you don't enjoy cruising - do something else! Also, while I have waited in line at guest services/concierge etc. I am often appalled at how passengers treat the staff. A smile, calm voice, and an attempt not to belittle staff goes a long way. I have complained about things that were not as good as I was expecting, and have always had resolution.

I still like Royal, but it is not what it was. Too much cost cutting and too much fare raising. Ten years ago, I came off a cruise feeling that I had been pampered and treated like royalty. These days it's just a very good vacation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes agree that hard to define difference that makes you feel good vs coming away Wowed - First cruise on Voager in 2001 - Wow, Liberty 2014 very very good, Allure 2015 was nice. I will take Wow over nice any day. I will say food and Dining had the biggest change.

I like to read the reviews.. but mostly for amusement.

I read a recent oasis review the other day where the Reviewer gave it three starts and went on a rant about how upset he was because the guitar player in the bar would not play the song he requested??? Really??????

Manage your expectations. Think about what you are really complaining about?

The food is average. (although I really really like the coastal kitchen)

guess what??? they are cooking for thousands of people.

the buffet is like golden coral, look at all the Donkeys going through it piling food up like they are never going to eat again???? I don't even know how the cooks keep up..

Seriously? your chief complaint is that you want a cold sandwich without mayonnaise???

There are probably more people that say "why would I spend all this money on a cruise to get a salami sanwhich??? I could make that at home"

I thought it was just me. In the last 24 hours I've read more than a few reviews from people just back from either the Nov 8th or 15th Allure cruises and everyone was complaining about the food, the crowds, etc. I only saw one that really spoke to uncleanliness and that was in a GS. Some of the complaints were based on lack of pre-cruise research and planning on the cruisers' part, others were just overall dissatisfaction because they had to deal with crowds on a ship that has 5,000+ passengers and it took 15 min for a drink and 5 minutes to get an elevator. :eek: None of this is diminishing my excitement as my own embarkation moves closer but if I were a new cruiser and just reading the boards I would be giving the side-eye to RCI.

I liked the Allure but the crowd's were large. You learn quickly to not do what everyone else is doing at least at the same time they are. I think it is the price you pay to cruise on a ship 🚢 with all the amenities the Oasis Class ships. I think the freedom class ships hit the sweet spot between size and features and body count of fellow cruisers.

IMHO, RCCL has definitely gone down in food in buffet and MDR when we were on Liberty 2 years ago. The lunch buffet had asian/indian/?? chicken thighs each day and not much other meat variety--a significant change to what we had seen 3 years prior. We just ate some salads and got a burger-no big deal. MDR had not as good quality types of fish and one night MDR served fried fish, shrimp like you would get on a shoney's buffet and frozen peas and carrots--I could not believe it.

However, the price for our family to cruise has also dramatically droppped since 10 years ago. This spring break, we have a oceanview cabin for 4 persons for under $3K for an 8 night cruise--that's about $500 more than what I paid for a 4 night Bahama cruise 10 years ago. With those prices, I am willing to spend some extra $ to book better dining and overlook those frozen mixed veggies. I cannot take a comparable land trip with food and lodging for four persons for under $3K.

Edited by elaine5

Before our last cruise, I had read CC and was really afraid that we were going to find a dirty stateroom, rude crew, and crappy food. We had a great room, wonderful crew, and we thought the food was good. No, the food was not as good as a Wolfgang Puck or Todd English restaurant, but it was better than Applebee's and Outback. I actually wrote a very lengthy, detailed review of the cruise and it was mostly all positive. We have a great vacation and I'd do it all again tomorrow!

I traveled on Royal for the first time in May. I must say that it was a disappointment. While the staff was very good, on sea days, the deck was littered with trash all over that stayed there for a couple hours (dirty dishes, dirty napkins, glasses, etc). There was no food except hot dogs and a salad between 3:30 and 6:30pm. The crew was begging me to give them good reports so they did not get in trouble. Our cabin was under a loud bar and when we complained, they gave us ear plugs. Other people were saying that they were disappointed as well. The staff however was very friendly.

I have been cruising since 1992 mostly on RC. I do think cruising has changed in so many ways. It is definitely not as formal as it used to be, and I don't mean just the dress code. Most cruisers nowadays would not appreciate the sommelier in the dining room, for example.

The cruise lines have changed to match the passengers. Food is so subjective. I have had tough meat, cold soup, etc., but that happens at home too. I have never had a waiter who didn't offer to replace a not so good meal.

Cabin stewards can be good/excellent but again I have never had one that was truly bad.

Nowadays everyone is so connected to their phones/cameras etc. that they report on everything. Unfortunately, not just with cruising, but life in general and everything is expected to be perfect ...... So tired of hearing that "I paid for it."

I was born and raised in Europe. Lived in the US for many years and remember having to book a phone call to wish family a Merry Christmas! Today's cruisers for the most part couldn't comprehend.

My rant is over! Just trying to point out that everything changes, not always for the best. If you don't enjoy cruising - do something else! Also, while I have waited in line at guest services/concierge etc. I am often appalled at how passengers treat the staff. A smile, calm voice, and an attempt not to belittle staff goes a long way. I have complained about things that were not as good as I was expecting, and have always had resolution.

Very nice summation

My very first cruise was when son and daughter where very young. Early 90s. We where pretty close to being the youngest couple on board. We where in our very early 30s. I remember the cruise director saying the average age on the ship was dead or dying. It was for sure a much older crowd. Ice sculptures, midnight buffets, ballroom dancing, and bingo. Every night we would go to the theater and there would be a show. The entertainers where the same just different shows - they where more based on talent then special effects. Food was 5 star 🌟 all the way. Every evening was formal at least compared to now. Ports where more layed back less tourist's - yes the world of cruising has changed. Dead or dying is no longer the average age. The ships have become quite amazing, entrainment options are well beyond what we had on first cruise. But ships still sail the sea and the magic of that one aspect has not changed and never will. Yes cruising is different and so am I. In 15 years when i look back they will be even more different - that's ok

Most people who complain about the cruise complain about everything in general on a regular basis anyway, so anytime we see complaints we ignore them and judge for ourselves.

Are these people saying everything back home on a daily basis for eating out, hotels and entertainment is so perfect compared to most people describe as trivial matters?

Of course, there are always some major concerns, but does every little thing that in most cases is minor to most people have to become like the world is coming to an end because a few think the meat has no flavor? Really? I guess a burger at Micky D's is like Prime Filet.

I traveled on Royal for the first time in May. I must say that it was a disappointment. While the staff was very good, on sea days, the deck was littered with trash all over that stayed there for a couple hours (dirty dishes, dirty napkins, glasses, etc). There was no food except hot dogs and a salad between 3:30 and 6:30pm. The crew was begging me to give them good reports so they did not get in trouble. Our cabin was under a loud bar and when we complained, they gave us ear plugs. Other people were saying that they were disappointed as well. The staff however was very friendly.

What did you expect them do? Remove the bar?

We've only been cruising RCCL for 10 years but here are my observations:

MDR dinner food is just average/OK (which hasn't been a change.....). Atmosphere continues to be chaotic and loud and brightly lit. We liked it for 3-4 years and have mostly avoided it since.

Windjammer service staff has definitely been cut back. Used to be there were always staff offering drinks, cleaning tables, etc. Much fewer staff to keep up the last 2-3 years.

Ships are still well kept and beautiful.

Speciality dining still good, though we haven't been to Chops for a couple years:D (sailed Celebrity last year).

When I started this thread I was wondering what other peoples views were, and the replies people have put in are interesting and I agree with most of them. I do however think that RCCI are starting to take the mick a bit, there profits are hugh. There staff are now becoming so overworked that some of them are starting to adopt a no care attitude, some of them are also nearly asleep where they stand. We have actually cruised on Royal Caribbean for several years and have over the time seen service, food and other things go down hill quite a lot. We were on Explorer earlier this year and the food especially in the windjammer was not really much to write home about. They had the same 4/5 dishes everyday, all day. We had to go to customer service on a couple of occasions and the help and service we got was nil. We are not ones to raise our voices and are calm when having to mention things that are not right. Well the reply we got, anyone would have thought we had asked for the moon, we had only pointed out a couple of things. The entertainment by the on board crew was rubbish, they did 3 shows - no real special clothes, some of the singers couldn't really sing, and the songs they sang were the same at all 3 shows, same era. Really boring several people worked out. I do think that RC are putting sll there efforts into there new boats. What I can't understand is that the biggest percentage of people asked, don't like the Quantum class of boat, so why do they keep building them. We were in two minds if we did another one with them, but as Independence of the seas is back next year we have booked one, but we have also booked one on HAL and one on Princess, neither of which we have been on before. We will see, for what RC are asking for a cabin this year it will have to be good for us to stay with them.