A veteran NCL cruiser departs

Dolphins

This is exactly the point that FDR has been making. YOU are no longer his sweet-spot customer. If you wind up leaving & going to look for 'deals' elsewhere, it won't hurt his business plan. FDR is trying to recruit cruisers for whom VALUE is more important than price. I fall into that category. As long as they make me happy, I'm not as price-sensitive as others. I'm not rich, but I splurge on my vacations and refuse to look at them on a penny-by-penny basis. That's just the way I budget.

I'm the same way, when it comes to vacation or traveling

Exactly, it seems the more people Cruise it loses the wow factor yet it just becomes part of the motions. I hope that never happens to me, I'm in amazement when I step on a ship.

Could it be because more and more people choose cruises for the itineraries, rather than the on ship "resort" experience, I know we do.

The combination of same old itineraries and limited port/berth availability for the mega ships must be another factor.

Could it be because more and more people choose cruises for the itineraries, rather than the on ship "resort" experience, I know we do.

The combination of same old itineraries and limited port/berth availability for the mega ships must be another factor.

another reason I am glad we were finally convinced to change ships. The NCL ports are terrible.

I know what I was paying for cruises in the 90s and what I'm paying for (and getting) now.

It's a better value now, and not significantly higher in price point, especially at non peak times, where it's often cheaper than what I paid for some pretty basic trips.

I don't drink, so I can't account for bar bills -- those may have grown exponentially!

Why is it people constantly bring up my personal life? I am NOT actually constantly on here. I've been on here for the past few minutes and haven't been on since last night usually during the day I'm not on here quite as often. Seriously think about that nobody else has so many inquiries into their personal life. Kind of sad really, I feel bad for those of you who need to question my life. Whether you believe I am who I say I am or not it doesn't matter. Live your life and I shall live mine.

Sorry I meant no offense but you did just ask someone what they were still doing here and said that was the elephant in the room. That poster should be able to express their opinion and not have to justify the how or why of it. In my opinion you also seem to question others in how they feel about changes occurring at NCL if their feelings are not the same as your own. Which seems unfair.

I completely understand that you are okay with all the recent changes from NCL. Specifically in regards to Margaritaville going a la carte you have said you would be willing to pay as much as $20 to eat there. That too is perfectly fine for you, your budget and how you react to changes the cruise line makes. A couple of comments were made in response to your opinion but for the most part there does not seem to be an outcry from others to try to change your mind and /or convince you to have another viewpoint.

On the other hand it comes across as if your comments are meant to change other people's minds about how they feel about the changes regardless of what reasoning they have for forming their own opinions.

Try not to take things so personally. Every comment made is not directed at you. These threads are often big discussions with many many posters. Personally I think it would be a much better dialog if everyone was entitled to say their opinion on the topic without necessarily having to justify it.

Rochelle

I know what I was paying for cruises in the 90s and what I'm paying for (and getting) now.

It's a better value now, and not significantly higher in price point, especially at non peak times, where it's often cheaper than what I paid for some pretty basic trips.

I don't drink, so I can't account for bar bills -- those may have grown exponentially!

You are right about what we paid in the 90's, however I do feel we have lost some valuable aspects regarding the whole cruise experience. Freestyle is less than it was even a few years ago. We are expected to plan our meal times, the venues and book them 90 days ahead of the cruise. I know we can still eat at the MDR without booking ahead (for now) and it is still complimentary (for now) who knows what the next round of changes will bring.

I am just a little disappointed that NCL are taking away perks that were standard and expected when we booked a cruise then evaporate during the months ahead without any regard to us as customers. Even if the small print allows them to create change that effects the enjoyment and anticipated outcome of the cruise it does not make it right and upsets me a seasoned cruiser. On the other hand if the changes were more positive, for instance complimentary dining at Le Bistro or Cagney's, I would once again be a cheerleader for NCL. It could be that after numerous cruise the novelty does wear off and NCL should be trying to attract newer, younger and less experienced passengers..The days of folks my age group - baby boomers are over. We retire and want our lives to be less structured and more Freestyle.

Sorry I meant no offense but you did just ask someone what they were still doing here and said that was the elephant in the room. That poster should be able to express their opinion and not have to justify the how or why of it. In my opinion you also seem to question others in how they feel about changes occurring at NCL if their feelings are not the same as your own. Which seems unfair.

I completely understand that you are okay with all the recent changes from NCL. Specifically in regards to Margaritaville going a la carte you have said you would be willing to pay as much as $20 to eat there. That too is perfectly fine for you, your budget and how you react to changes the cruise line makes. A couple of comments were made in response to your opinion but for the most part there does not seem to be an outcry from others to try to change your mind and /or convince you to have another viewpoint.

On the other hand it comes across as if your comments are meant to change other people's minds about how they feel about the changes regardless of what reasoning they have for forming their own opinions.

Try not to take things so personally. Every comment made is not directed at you. These threads are often big discussions with many many posters. Personally I think it would be a much better dialog if everyone was entitled to say their opinion on the topic without necessarily having to justify it.

Rochelle

Well said Rochelle, mind you I take things a little too seriously sometimes too, we do tend to say things on these threads we would think twice about if speaking with another individual face to face. I wonder if, at a past meet and greet someone has said “hey wait a minute I know you from the forum, you called me a xxxxxxxxxxx lets step outside” I guess “lighten up” is the phrase of the day.

Let me be the one to address the elephant in the room. If you are changing and it's official why are you still here?

Not all my group has so I'm hoping for more NCL and Escape stuff. I pointed them to this board and your posts in particular.

Still work to be done.

My dear boy I'm praising you and your quality work. Roll with the positives dude.

The only elephant in the room is when someone breaks wind.

Rochelle

I asked people about their cruise life, you can ask anything you want to know about my Cruise life. I have no problem talking about what I do on board the ship or the types of activity I enjoy on the ship. But I think personal life is out of bounds. Thankfully I can afford cruising and it's fun.

I asked people about their cruise life, you can ask anything you want to know about my Cruise life. I have no problem talking about what I do on board the ship or the types of activity I enjoy on the ship. But I think personal life is out of bounds. Thankfully I can afford cruising and it's fun.

Duly noted and I do agree with you. Best way for anyone to keep their personal life out of CC is try to ensure that personal details don't come into play.

I enjoy cruising as well and hope you enjoy your next cruise when you book.

Rochelle

Asking staff about their 'cruise life' is basically asking them about their job.

How long they work, how much they make, etc.

That would be like me asking you, how long do you work, how much do you make?

I'm sure you'd tell me it's none of my business which would be understandable.

Harriet

Not all my group has so I'm hoping for more NCL and Escape stuff. I pointed them to this board and your posts in particular.

Still work to be done.

My dear boy I'm praising you and your quality work. Roll with the positives dude.

The only elephant in the room is when someone breaks wind.

I believe you've gone "right past" that elephant... all to way to cleanup on aisle 4.

I amazed at how people can change their whole vacation plan over anonymous posters on a message board.

I'm wondering if aisle 3 is even safe to walk in.

I have been a frequent NCL Platinum cruiser since NCL started cruising year round out of New York. I have always applauded the innovations of NCL like Freestyle Dining and having the courage to sail year round out of New York. My introduction to NCL was on the Norwegian Dawn and I have wonderful memories of that ship. I enjoyed dining at Cagney's and Le Bistro at reasonable rates without mandatory gratuities added. I dined at La Cucina and the Tex-Mex specialty restaurants at no extra charge. I looked forward to lobster and prime ribs in the main dining room at no extra charge. A la carte dining was something uncomprehendable. I received room service 24 hours a day at no extra charge. I enjoyed an aft-facing balcony cabin at no extra charge. I enjoyed all the entertainment venues at no extra charge. I received VIP treatment from Hotel Directors like Klaus and Hugo. I felt the Dawn class ships were the ideal size especially embarking and debarking.

NCL today is almost unrecognizable from my early NCL experiences. Cruising was once touted as a bargain vacation with everything included at no extra charge. Sadly, those days appear to be gone forever and so am I. I will always treasure fond memories of many days on NCL but the current situation on NCL holds no attraction for me at all. Bon voyage.

I agree with you and remember NCL exactly the way you do. What is the alternative? I paid 18 % gratuity that a robot made on the Quantum of the Seas. ; ) My point is that I don't think NCL is the only line cutting back and charging more.

I believe you've gone "right past" that elephant... all to way to cleanup on aisle 4.

I amazed at how people can change their whole vacation plan over anonymous posters on a message board.

I'm wondering if aisle 3 is even safe to walk in.

Well actually a lot of politicking took place and NCL helped with the constant changes, seemingly every month, but the posts and video's of a NOT so Anonymous poster was simply the showstopper. The cherry on top if you will.

• 3 weeks later...
I have been a frequent NCL Platinum cruiser since NCL started cruising year round out of New York. I have always applauded the innovations of NCL like Freestyle Dining and having the courage to sail year round out of New York. My introduction to NCL was on the Norwegian Dawn and I have wonderful memories of that ship. I enjoyed dining at Cagney's and Le Bistro at reasonable rates without mandatory gratuities added. I dined at La Cucina and the Tex-Mex specialty restaurants at no extra charge. I looked forward to lobster and prime ribs in the main dining room at no extra charge. A la carte dining was something uncomprehendable. I received room service 24 hours a day at no extra charge. I enjoyed an aft-facing balcony cabin at no extra charge. I enjoyed all the entertainment venues at no extra charge. I received VIP treatment from Hotel Directors like Klaus and Hugo. I felt the Dawn class ships were the ideal size especially embarking and debarking.

NCL today is almost unrecognizable from my early NCL experiences. Cruising was once touted as a bargain vacation with everything included at no extra charge. Sadly, those days appear to be gone forever and so am I. I will always treasure fond memories of many days on NCL but the current situation on NCL holds no attraction for me at all. Bon voyage.

I concur with your comments. We are platinum and my first cruise was the Epic. It was the best NCL cruise. Since then I've been on the Breakaway and Gem. I've also sailed Celebrity which was the number one cruise experience on the Silhouette. Cruising is clearly ala carte these days. We purchased the beverage package, and the past few cruises the dining package. In the past five or six years of my cruising, I've noticed major differences in the dining experience, especially in Cagney's and main dining. I will say Le Bistro has remained consistent. In the end, we find that we spend $$ in the ala carte and are booking other lines with more inclusive options. We're sailing the Getaway next month and it will likely be out last for a while on NCL. Typically we cruise at least twice per year. We like the casual atmosphere on NCL and they kind of lost me when they discontinued their delicious crab cakes in Cagney's It's funny that we tend to hold onto specific details on a cruise that make or break a decision, in addition to price points.

Well, I'm a veteran Celebrity cruiser (Elite +) who just sailed NCL for the first time on Getaway in September. While I appreciate very much Celebrity's loyalty program, I wanted to sail the Caribbean in September and X doesn't go there then. We loved Getaway!! We loved having a MDR open for lunch on embarkation day. We loved the coffee machines in the cabins. We loved being able to get a cooked to order hamburger 24/7 at O'Sheehans. We loved the Do Not Disturb and Make Up Room signs in the cabins. We loved the Waterfront concept.

Certainly neither Celebrity nor Royal offer any of those amenities.

I came home and cancelled a January cruise on our beloved Celebrity Reflection and booked Escape. Even though that switch cost me several hundred dollars more as my TA pays grats on X but not on NCL and X does not charge grats on beverage package promos and NCL does. We were both happy to pay more to sail Escape.

Just a view from the other side of the coin.

Well, I'm a veteran Celebrity cruiser (Elite +) who just sailed NCL for the first time on Getaway in September. While I appreciate very much Celebrity's loyalty program, I wanted to sail the Caribbean in September and X doesn't go there then. We loved Getaway!! We loved having a MDR open for lunch on embarkation day. We loved the coffee machines in the cabins. We loved being able to get a cooked to order hamburger 24/7 at O'Sheehans. We loved the Do Not Disturb and Make Up Room signs in the cabins. We loved the Waterfront concept.

I came home and cancelled a January cruise on our beloved Celebrity Reflection and booked Escape. Even though that switch cost me several hundred dollars more as my TA pays grats on X but not on NCL and X does not charge grats on beverage package promos and NCL does. We were both happy to pay more to sail Escape.

That's good to hear. There's been so much negative lately. I don't like some of the recent changes either. But, we just got off the Escape last week, and we had a great time. The more I cruise, and read about other cruisers experiences on this site, I firmly believe it comes down to individual preference. I talked to an Elite+ member in Taste last week . He has going directly back to Celebrity. It's all personal likes and dislikes. I think you're both right for your own reasons.

Welcome Dolphins replacement.:D

I'm coming very late to this party and have in no way read all 15 pages.

I'm going to add, you win some you loose some. I just returned from my first NCL cruise and welcome this line as my new go to first. It was a pleasant change from Royal and a far better experience. I know nothing of what was, know what is and this was a great experience.

We have our own business and I always say...one customer walks out the front door and 3 new ones come in the back!!!

I don't understand the anger and outrage many feel when someone writes something as an adult that is their opinion that others may not agree with. Some take it so personal if someone says, I think I like another cruise line better than NCL or I don't like all the changes NCL is doing.

The mockery of the response by some is childish and something my 4th grader would do. Sometimes I see YOU WONT BE MISSED or even personal attacks

If threads like this bother you then why are they opened by the same people over and over. Cant we discuss cruising like adults? I did not see anything dramatic , negative or wrong the OP discussed. Its their opinion and their right to do so. I think some need better ways to occupy their time than sit by a computer all day hoping someone will complain about NCL.

Well said. It's amazing how the negative people just love to jump on these posts without contributing a single worthwhile fact. And, they really ought to learn the difference between their and there. It might lend them a tad more credibility.

They are NOT FILLING ships.

Last weeks sailing of NCLs New ship Escape had cabins for sale the night before they sailed. Insides, ocean view, balconies, and suites. So did the Breakaway 12 day.

I get Interline Fares because my DS works for UPS. I have never seen such deep discounts as I see for NCL cruises.

For example I can get 7 nights departing January 3, 2016 on Norwegian Dawn Inside $199, Oceanview $249, Balcony $449 and Suite $749.

Except for a few sell outs, most of the Jan. cruises are 65% to 88% off. Wonder what the reason for this is?

I get Interline Fares because my DS works for UPS. I have never seen such deep discounts as I see for NCL cruises.

For example I can get 7 nights departing January 3, 2016 on Norwegian Dawn Inside $199, Oceanview $249, Balcony $449 and Suite $749.

Except for a few sell outs, most of the Jan. cruises are 65% to 88% off. Wonder what the reason for this is?

Oversupply in some markets such as Carribean out of Florida, and the price hikes that are putting NCL at the same price point as other better quality lines. As others have said, not everyone wants to be forced to pay for "free" drinks etc.etc.