Is Caribbean Princess going to be late into Houston this morning?

StLouisCruisers

Bayport was an experiment that failed. Bayport does not work as a cruise port. There are too many problems. Long, expensive connections form the airport to the pier, unplanned delays in debarking and embarking, unhappy cruisers./ That is why the experiment ends in 2016.

We are on a Caribbean Princess cruise in January. and although we never use Princess Air or Princess transfers they were essential for this cruise as insurance to offset a complete debacle.

It was worth a try. It did not work.

I don't think the airport transfers are a problem since it is closer to IAH. The one cruise I took out of Galveston was pricey though. Renting a van and parking for 5 nights was cheaper than the transfers for 6 of us. That was a family reunion cruise so no need to repeat sailing from Texas thankfully :)

Meanwhile, Carnival Magic is leaving Galveston. I wish the CB could get into Galveston and then bus everyone wherever they're headed: port to pick up cars or airports.

I was on a Celebrity ship last year that couldn't get into Civitavecchia due to weather and they sent buses to the airports and Civitavecchia to pick up all the incoming passengers. All was arranged within a few hours, including transporting the disembarking passengers to the airports. It was a huge effort and they did a fantastic job hiring 90 buses to do it all.

Given the severity of the fog, I can't imagine them doing that.

My guess is they will take the first break they can and head into Houston. Even if it's too late to get people off the ship, they will want to be docked so that they can get people off first thing in the morning rather than risk another day floating at sea and burning revenue and customer service points.

I don't think the airport transfers are a problem since it is closer to IAH. The one cruise I took out of Galveston was pricey though. Renting a van and parking for 5 nights was cheaper than the transfers for 6 of us. That was a family reunion cruise so no need to repeat sailing from Texas thankfully :)

This is one port where usually Princess transfers are gold! :)

Have friends who have been sitting at the pier since noon. Princess just called it for the night and people are scrambling to find hotel rooms. Evidently if you did not book Princess insurance you are on your own to find a room. There is no promise of what is to come for tomorrow with the exception of a phone number that the 3000 passengers all get to call tomorrow for an update.

DELAYED CRUISE CHECK-IN AND EMBARKATION

Please be advised that due to heavy fog, Caribbean Princess' arrival in Houston has been delayed until Monday November 30. We will continue to monitor the situation and will communicate further updates and a revised check-in time as soon as possible. Guests with a Princess Cruise Plus hotel package or Princess transfer will receive embarkation details at their hotel or the airport. Guests who reside locally or have ground transportation arrangements should call 1-866-246-6761 at 8:00 AM tomorrow morning for an update on the ship's progress before departing for the pier. Thank you for your attention to this notification. The entire staff and crew are eagerly anticipating your arrival, and we look forward welcoming you aboard Caribbean Princess.

PASSENGERS

Given the severity of the fog, I can't imagine them doing that.

My guess is they will take the first break they can and head into Houston. Even if it's too late to get people off the ship, they will want to be docked so that they can get people off first thing in the morning rather than risk another day floating at sea and burning revenue and customer service points.

Given the fact that cruise ships are moving out of Galveston harbor, there is no reason the CB couldn't sail to the docks in Galveston. It's Baytown that is fogged in.

You mean the luggage for those who are still on board, or the luggage for those who had already checked in this morning to board?

Those on board, of course. I doubt any porter would check in a bag for a ship that was sitting off shore and no idea when it would make it into port.

You mean the luggage for those who are still on board, or the luggage for those who had already checked in this morning to board?

Onboard. (That's where I am and I overheard a discussion on how they would do this.)

Of course, the challenge will be in the "how." (Cabin numbers aren't on the luggage tags, IIRC)

Given the fact that cruise ships are moving out of Galveston harbor, there is no reason the CB couldn't sail to the docks in Galveston. It's Baytown that is fogged in.

The usual procedure is to turn in all except carry-on baggage as soon as you arrive at the pier. Therefore, it is likely that most outgoing passenger's luggage has been collected and is in loading bins.

If this is true it would be highly unlikely it could be unloaded from the bins. if it were to be unloaded from the bins, it would be very difficult to sort it by passenger since the only tags are by cabin numbers.

The luggage for the passengers on the ship will be handled as usual regardless of when they arrive.

We are on board still and still anchored. Currently 5:50 pm local time in Houston and no updates from the captain yet the cruise director did share the entertainment schedule with us about 30 minutes ago and there are shows scheduled through 10pm tonight in the theater. Dining rooms were opened at the usual times again tonight. No official word from the captain yet as far as what the plan is.

Fog looks to be bad still and no hope of moving tonight. We counted about 22 other ships anchored wth us this afternoon. Cell service is intermittent.

The usual procedure is to turn in all except carry-on baggage as soon as you arrive at the pier. Therefore, it is likely that most outgoing passenger's luggage has been collected and is in loading bins.

Unlikely, as the luggage cages are on the ship, filled with the disembarking

passengers' bags.