Is Caribbean Princess going to be late into Houston this morning?

StLouisCruisers

[quote name='woohooTOO']Princess sent text messages and emergency notification emails.[/QUOTE]

Not everyone travels with a cell phone or has access to internet. Not trying to be picky here. My mom would not travel with her cell phone no matter how much I begged. Drove me nuts!:p

We arrived at the Houston terminal around 11:00 and saw that there were police stopping all traffic. Given what has been going on, we assumed that this was a security stop. The police, who were very polite, told us that the port was not open and that we were being directed toward a large parking lot. He apologized that he did not have more details. Upon arriving at the lot, we were told by the port folks that everything was fogged in and that they (again very politely) said that they had no further information. Long story short; after hanging out for a while, enduring long restroom lines and thwarted in my efforts to find ANY Princess representative I was told by a port person that her experience led her to believe that we were at the very least hours away from boarding. She gave us directions to an interesting boardwalk area. We had a nice walk, found a very accommodating coffee shop and hunkered down with several other Princess refugees. I personally must have called the two Princess numbers 10-15 times hoping to get any information. With the exception of Krista, all of the Princess reps pleaded total ignorance, almost to the point of absurdity. They all "knew nothing" (Col. Klink) and suggested I call the update number which when actually called said at the end of the message there would be specific information. Well, at the end of the update message was silence. I received one text at 12:15 and then no more until after 4.
No one can control the weather, but that is not what this post is about. Princess did an abysmal job of basically anything. On three occasions I had to explain to their rep. what was going on and then request that they contact the help desk for further information. Almost comically, two of them came back and said that the wait time was going to be 30 minutes or so and that they were not sure they wanted to do that. I assured them that they did, and when they finally returned they simply told me that they were "monitoring" the situation.
We are all adults here and are responsible for insurance etc. Once again this is only about the abject failure of Princess to give any support to its shore side passengers.
We are elite level on four or so lines and have endured hurricanes, mechanical, and various other issues. In all of these experiences never was their such a lack of information or simple concern. This is no way to run a business.

[quote name='travelux']we were supposed to board Caribbean Princess today. We arrived to the terminal at 10.30 a.m. There were NO representatives from the cruise company,no information, no food or drinks. People were sitting in the cold cars for many hours.There were 2 portable toilets and long -long lines.Why we were treated like animals. Why Princess reps could not come and inform people? We left the terminal at 16.00 to go to eat and other passengers informed us that there would be no ship. Their travel agent told them. It is not the way to treat customers. Shame and disgrace.You Princess ruined our cruise. We were lucky to get a hotel room together with other unhappy passengers and heard all kinds of comments from them.[/QUOTE]

Yes, the way Princess handled updating people on the status of this issue was extremely poor. We can't compare with being stuck in a car in the cold, but we were stranded at our hotel frantically searching for updates that should have been freely flowing. Around 4pm there was a panic as people rushed to ensure they had a room for the night even though there was no official news from Princess on the status of the cruise. I hope those on board who had follow on travel arrangements were better handled by Princess, as now dread encountering this when we return. That's assuming we get on! Definitely a sour experience from Princess, when we've only had great times in the past.

Epic Princess Failure:
1- Arrived at Port to discover we were being diverted to an off site parking lot to sit in car with no information of what was going on except that the ship had not arrived and to park car in a line with hundreds of other cars. No Princess representatives ANYWHERE ALL DAY just nice parking attendances who were sorry that they could not give us any information but kept telling us to call princes for details. Decided to leave parking lot around 11:30 and head into town after hearing rumors from other passengers that it would be at least 4 hrs til ship might arrive

2-First email from Princess not sent til 10:50am (well after they knew ship was not even in the channel due to fog) All the email said was that the ship was delayed and to call a 1-800 number for further details and updates

3-called the number repeatedly during the day and recording kept saying ship delayed and to call the same number we were already calling for updated details.
No other details offered!!!

4-Sat in coffee shop with other passengers all day. The only information anyone was getting was from passengers already on the ship posting to Cruise Critic on what was going on with the ship.

5-Finally 2nd email from princess arrived at 5:02 finally telling us ship would not depart til Monday and to call the same 1-800 number in the morning for further details. No other details or information given

6-Got an email from the Parking Garage where we had a reservation not to show up til 12:30pm on Monday. MORE INFORMATION FROM PARKING GARAGE THAN FROM PRINCESS!!

7-THANK YOU CRUISE CRITIC passengers already on board for keeping us all informed and updated throughout the day!!!! You provided us with more informaton than Princess did throughout the day and night.

8- (5:00pm) THANK YOU PRINCESS CRUISE LINES FOR NOTHING!!! NO DETAILS, NO INFORMATION and NO COMMUNICATION since 11:00am except to keep repeating that the cruise was delayed-and NO OTHER DETAILS!!

9-EPIC FAILURE ON PRINCESS!!

[quote name='travelux']we were supposed to board Caribbean Princess today. We arrived to the terminal at 10.30 a.m. There were NO representatives from the cruise company,no information, no food or drinks. People were sitting in the cold cars for many hours.There were 2 portable toilets and long -long lines.Why we were treated like animals. Why Princess reps could not come and inform people? We left the terminal at 16.00 to go to eat and other passengers informed us that there would be no ship. Their travel agent told them. It is not the way to treat customers. Shame and disgrace.You Princess ruined our cruise. We were lucky to get a hotel room together with other unhappy passengers and heard all kinds of comments from them.[/QUOTE]

I am very surprised by this. Did you not provide cell phone numbers and e-mail when you completed your Cruise Personalizer?

When the cruise before ours was delayed because of fog we got texts, phone calls and e-mails from Princess that kept us informed. They started coming around 6am. We also received a number to call for updates.

Around noon we received a text that the ship was finally heading in and that our embarkation would begin at 3pm. We arrived at the pier at exactly 3pm just as they were removing the barricades they put up to keep people from entering the port. We dropped our luggage, parked and were onboard in no time. We did get to sail that night, around 9pm.

Our cruise also had fog and we were told the night before that we would be late docking. They did not collect our luggage. We went to bed thinking that we would be a full day late, but the fog lifted mid morning and we were only 5 hours late. Everyone got free internet and phone calls to change flights and notify family. We were fine since we only had an hour drive to the pier. We got an extra breakfast at Sabatini's out of it too!

. Edited by DebJ14

We are traveling from California to go on the cruise and this has been our contact with Princess...

We drove into Seabrook last night and are staying at the Best Western there. When we went downstairs this morning to get on the list for the shuttle to the pier, the HOTEL had a note out that there was a delay with the ship.

We got an email from Princess at 10:44 am telling us that there was a POSSIBLE delay. There was a phone number to call for updates attached. The number had a recording which was updated about 3 times today. The early messages just kept saying there was a delay and to call back (the same recorded message line) for embarking times.

We waited in the hotel lobby all day until we decided to get another room for the night at 4:00 pm. (Another $92.00). We still did not know what would happen at that point. But new people coming to the hotel were being turned away at this time.
Finally at about 4:30 pm, the message line said that the ship was delayed until Monday and to call the message line at 8:00 am Monday for any updates.

Then at 7:18pm, we got an email from Princess that our voyage was delayed until Monday. They included the line: "We wanted to advise you as soon as possible of this delay for those of you who may need to rearrange flights or alter other transportation details."

It also says that this will "necessitate a change to our planned cruise itinerary but at this time we are unable to determine the full impact. All passengers will receive a one night per diem for the day missed onboard in the form of an onboard shipboard credit."

I don't blame Princess for the delay...it's obviously not their fault. But the communication from them has been seriously lacking. And we were LUCKY to have had our phones with us to be able to call and get the recorded message. Likewise, at least we had email access to get the 2 emails. And finally, we are lucky to have a room for us and our son tonight.

There were many people waiting with us with no phone nor email access. And then the poor people who sat in their cars waiting to get into the pier for HOURS without information...we are hopeful that we can leave tomorrow, but we aren't betting on it just yet...

Just to be clear: Weather (Fog) not an issue, The way Princess has been silent all day to thousands of passengers waiting hours in their cars in the cold is uncomprehensable! Yes where were the embarkation Princcess reps? Did they get a message early to not show up or where they sitting around cozy in the terminal and not wanting to go out in the cold to the parking lot to help keep passengers informed. I sure would not want to be a Princess rep tomorrow when thousands of unhappy passengers arrive. A great time will be had when we finally get on board but until then....shame on Princess!!!

[quote name='Wharf']Just to be clear: Weather (Fog) not an issue, The way Princess has been silent all day to thousands of passengers waiting hours in their cars in the cold is uncomprehensable! Yes where were the embarkation Princcess reps? Did they get a message early to not show up or where they sitting around cozy in the terminal and not wanting to go out in the cold to the parking lot to help keep passengers informed. I sure would not want to be a Princess rep tomorrow when thousands of unhappy passengers arrive. A great time will be had when we finally get on board but until then....shame on Princess!!![/QUOTE]

The embarkation staff do not work for Princess. They work for an outside company contracted by Princess. No excuse for poor communication but they may not be trained very well in customer service. The same thing goes for all of the major cruise lines. Edited by cruiser fanatic

The fog ruined your cruise. Make the best of it.

I echo the concern regarding spotty notifications. Princess has my email and cell number and received one text and one email and hear others received a more detailed one this evening. Luckily, live close and stayed at home waiting for more news. The fog is unavoidable; but, the spotty communication is avoidable.

[quote name='cruiser fanatic']The embarkation staff do not work for Princess. They work for an outside company contracted by Princess. No excuse for poor communication but they may not be trained very well in customer service. The same thing goes for all of the major cruise lines.[/QUOTE]

Even if they do not work directly for princces, they are contracted by Princess. They are there to assist you in checking in.....why not send someone (just 1 person woud have been nice) over to "help" inform THOUSANDS of passengers waiting in the cold of what was going on. I think 1 person to care is not asking much!

[quote name='cruiser fanatic']The embarkation staff do not work for Princess. They work for an outside company contracted by Princess. No excuse for poor communication but they may not be trained very well in customer service. The same thing goes for all of the major cruise lines.[/QUOTE]

Let me be clear.....there was NO ONE representing Princes (contract or otherwise) at the parking lot, only port workers. Having run several companies, contract workers are infact subject to the responsibilites of the hiring company. I am aware that all cruise lines do the same thing, but that is not the case in this situation. Once again, NO ONE respresenting Princess was around; this is not acceptable for any business!

[quote name='Wharf']Even if they do not work directly for princces, they are contracted by Princess. They are there to assist you in checking in.....why not send someone (just 1 person woud have been nice) over to "help" inform THOUSANDS of passengers waiting in the cold of what was going on. I think 1 person to care is not asking much![/QUOTE]

Again, no excuse for poor communication. I agree that they should have had several staff members outside answering questions, giving updates, giving directions to attractions and restaurants in the area etc.. I agree, a lot more could have been done.

[quote name='Cali_Mum'].

We waited in the hotel lobby all day until we decided to get another room for the night at 4:00 pm. [B](Another $92.00)[/B]. We still did not know what would happen at that point. [/QUOTE]

If you have travel insurance, keep the receipts for hotel and any food you purchase. You can probably turn these in for reimbursement depending on your policy. Edited by Coral

You were inside the terminal? Other posters are saying the road was blocked by the police and they were directed elsewhere.

I know how frustrating it can be as we were in a similar situation sailing out of Houston and were delayed boarding and leaving due to fog. Princess did send updates to our phones and emails on the status of the delay.

I guess I am a little unclear as to what those individuals that are upset were expecting.

The Princess boarding documents clearly state that boarding does not start until 12:30. We all know that princess typically starts birding much earlier but you kind of take that risk by getting there so early compared to that stated boarding time.

As far as communication goes it sounds like princess sent out notifications just before 11am (1.5 hours before boarding time) notifying of a weather delay. This is enough time before boarding time that the majority of people would not be at or so close to the port that they could not make alternate plans before arriving to the port.

Knowing that it's a weather delay I'm not sure how often you expect updates. They obviously want to get the past guests off and new guests on as soon as possible even if it means at a great delay but the weather is the weather and it can change by the minute. Knowing this and having a contact phone number for updates you could be at another location (shopping etc) checking hourly for updates as the disembarkation and embarkation process will take several hours you are not in any fear of missing the ship.

We didn't start boarding our cruise til after 5pm, were parked in the big parking lot for about 2 hours and didn't leave until almost noon the next day. But I never thought that princesses communication was overly unacceptable given the circumstances.

Sorry for the long post, and I'm sorry if I'm missing something that is an obvious breakdown on the princess side but from what I read it looks like just a bad situation with Mother Nature.

[quote name='Coral']If you have travel insurance, keep the receipts for hotel and any food you purchase. You can probably turn these in for reimbursement depending on your policy.[/QUOTE]

I don't see why I should have to pay Princess more to have them honor our travel plans when we showed up on time in the right place. I understand insurance for issues where I can't honor the contract, but as the paying customer I expect Princess to go the extra mile here. You already know they are getting pretty insurance payouts for themselves having to not pay port fees when scheduled etc.

[quote name='nzOdy']I don't see why I should have to pay Princess more to have them honor our travel plans when we showed up on time in the right place. I understand insurance for issues where I can't honor the contract, but as the paying customer I expect Princess to go the extra mile here. You already know they are getting pretty insurance payouts for themselves having to not pay port fees when scheduled etc.[/QUOTE]

Weather is out of everyone's control. I'm not sure that it's fair to make princess pay for accommodations when they are at the mercy of the weather as much as we are. If it were a mechanical failure or something that they control I totally agree with you that they should be responsible in that situation.

[quote name='nzOdy']I don't see why I should have to pay Princess more to have them honor our travel plans when we showed up on time in the right place. I understand insurance for issues where I can't honor the contract, but as the paying customer I expect Princess to go the extra mile here. You already know they are getting pretty insurance payouts for themselves having to not pay port fees when scheduled etc.[/QUOTE]

Why should Princess go the extra mile for something that they can't control?? Delays happen sometimes, that is what travel insurance is for. If you don't buy it, you take that risk. I don't buy it, but I understand the risk that I am taking. Edited by cruiser fanatic

[quote name='nzOdy']I don't see why I should have to pay Princess more to have them honor our travel plans when we showed up on time in the right place. I understand insurance for issues where I can't honor the contract, but as the paying customer I expect Princess to go the extra mile here. You already know they are getting pretty insurance payouts for themselves having to not pay port fees when scheduled etc.[/quote]

I don't understand the comments about having to pay Princess more and 'getting pretty insurance payouts for themselves'. The ship didn't make it into port through no fault of the company but due to the weather (fog) and the port closing (either the call of the coast guard, port authority, or the pilots association). That is exactly why you should have insurance - and especially if leaving/returning to Houston since fog has been a well reported issue the past two years.

To those waiting to embark - it sounds like the lack of communication has been a nightmare and the incredible stress of having to find lodging tonight is a horrible way to begin a vacation. I hope you get on board tomorrow and start enjoying yourself and put today behind you. Edited by capriccio

In other words, you don't have travel insurance.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

The only passengers that were taken care of we're those who bought the full package from Princess, consisting of cruise, air, hotel and transfers. Those individuals were packed up and sent to the Four Seasons. Everyone else was left on their own. Regardless of who you bought insurance from, save your receipts and submit a claim. When I say "left on your own" that is pretty much it. Find your luggage, find a cab and hotel, adios we will see tomorrow. I also felt bad for many elderly and first time cruisers who were quite confused. Also keep in mind, the port is way out in left field. Certainly not your typical port with amenities close by. Have I had a horrible day. No. But i walked away feeling let down by a company that has the means and expertise to handle these types of situations Edited by windstar