good news and bad news live from grand princess

tml1230

It was interesting watching three tugs help us into out docking position. Had a great morning touring Oahu.

The rumor is they have made the repairs, but have not heard anything official.

Turned in our FCC form.

There will always be complainers. I just chose not to join them. Your reaction is always a choice.

Good news about the repairs have fun on the next island.

I'm convinced that some people aren't happy unless they're complaining. I feel sad for them.

Interesting to read all the folks on the 12/10 cruise following our adventure here…. we are doing a back2 back (this one and the 12/10) …you all will love the crew and the ship is still great.

we are having a great day today in Honolulu…..ship isn't scheduled to leave (we assume!) till 10PM…i expect an update from captain about 6PM... as the ship is pretty empty…. with some passengers watching DO HO impersonators this evening on shore….

briefly i saw the captain down on deck 4 early this morning and thanked him for his fine work in this matter…in all our cruises i have always been one of those guys who hopes the captain is spending his time driving the boat and not to overly concerned about shaking hands at the champagne waterfall…

for those of you from SF area…on the 12/10 turnaround day for us.. if you see a guy exiting the port in a hurry ….heading towards the "IN and OUT" burger thats me….i have never understood why we can't get one of their joints east of the Mississipi river…its just wrong.

Interesting to read all the folks on the 12/10 cruise following our adventure here…. we are doing a back2 back (this one and the 12/10) …you all will love the crew and the ship is still great.

we are having a great day today in Honolulu…..ship isn't scheduled to leave (we assume!) till 10PM…i expect an update from captain about 6PM... as the ship is pretty empty…. with some passengers watching DO HO impersonators this evening on shore….

briefly i saw the captain down on deck 4 early this morning and thanked him for his fine work in this matter…in all our cruises i have always been one of those guys who hopes the captain is spending his time driving the boat and not to overly concerned about shaking hands at the champagne waterfall…

for those of you from SF area…on the 12/10 turnaround day for us.. if you see a guy exiting the port in a hurry ….heading towards the "IN and OUT" burger thats me….i have never understood why we can't get one of their joints east of the Mississipi river…its just wrong.

I have not seen you on the roll call for the 12/10 sailing. Check us out! We are having two meet & greets - would love to have you join us!

I've been following this thread with interest..and I hope I'm not being rude asking, but since you are doing a b2b maybe you will take pity on me.. We are doing a b2b on the Grand in February.. We've sailed her many times and she's a favorite.. This time we have been assigned a cabin on Caribe Deck mid-ship that is one of 8 cabins (4 on each side) that are noted as having no nightstands..and even possibly be twin beds only (which I doubt, since we are confirmed in a queen) I can find nothing in Cruisecritic archives and Princess seems confused as well..

If you have a moment on one of the sea days .. would you venture to Caribe Deck in the vicinity of #535? Maybe a room steward could answer my question.. Are there night stands?? or something else? Are these 4 cabins on each side smaller or configured differently.. I have a Thread on CC asking for help..

Have a wonderful rest of you cruise..and the next one as well.. wish I was there!

I've been following this thread with interest..and I hope I'm not being rude asking, but since you are doing a b2b maybe you will take pity on me.. We are doing a b2b on the Grand in February.. We've sailed her many times and she's a favorite.. This time we have been assigned a cabin on Caribe Deck mid-ship that is one of 8 cabins (4 on each side) that are noted as having no nightstands..and even possibly be twin beds only (which I doubt, since we are confirmed in a queen) I can find nothing in Cruisecritic archives and Princess seems confused as well..

If you have a moment on one of the sea days .. would you venture to Caribe Deck in the vicinity of #535? Maybe a room steward could answer my question.. Are there night stands?? or something else? Are these 4 cabins on each side smaller or configured differently.. I have a Thread on CC asking for help..

Have a wonderful rest of you cruise..and the next one as well.. wish I was there!

Per cruisedeckplans.com, these cabins have twin beds that cannot be converted to queens and have no nightstands. (C519-535 starboard and C518-534 port, also C501 and 502)

Did you see these threads about those cabins (the last one has a photo)?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1517011

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1937677

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=20053991&postcount=8

Edited by C1nnabar

The captain just announced that the thrusters now work, but the starboard propeller engine will only go at half speed. We will be able to go to Kauai tomorrow, but will miss Lahaina as we need the time to get to Ensenada and home. He will be putting out a printed explanation, so you'll be able to get more accurate info than mine later.

We have a friend that works on board and she recently messaged us with the following (which seems to have been posted above). "crew has to be back aboard by 10PM and we should know if problem has been fixed then". As we hear more from her we can update.

We have family traveling on the Dec 20th, Mexican Rivera sailing and they are watching all this with a keen interest.

Living in Hilo and watching you doing your "circles" and not making port yesterday,

I was interested in seeing in today's newspaper, THE HAWAII TRIBUNE HERALD

that there are direct quotes about the situation, from CruiseCritic,

from both tml 1230 and CleoChase as part of a front page story.

GOOD wishes to you all, for the remainder of your adventure!

Just got back from a fantastic day in Honolulu! Went shopping at Ala Moana mall, then to the Polynesian Cultural Center. That place was amazing.

Letter from the captain didn't surprise us - we're just glad the cruise can continue. Guess we'll be slowly limping back to SF, then they'll have to fix it at that time. We're leaving Honolulu a little late because the Coast Guard is finishing inspections.

Looking forward to Kauai tomorrow! :D

If I was on the ship, I'd rather visit Maui and skip Ensenada, and have the compensation package be that they pay the Passenger Services Act penalties for us.

I really wish Maui would make Lahaina a dock. With all the money they're collecting from us, we shouldn't have to tender.

Letter from the captain didn't surprise us - we're just glad the cruise can continue. Guess we'll be slowly limping back to SF, then they'll have to fix it at that time. We're leaving Honolulu a little late because the Coast Guard is finishing inspections.

My concern would be if the ship will be able to make it back and not get stuck with no power someplace in the Pacific Ocean. :o

LuLu

Hi All

I recall Captain Bilton was our Captain on Sun when we limped around the

Caribbean 8 years ago then about 4 years ago he was our Captain when I think it

was Crown had issues and limped around Norway for a few days, no wonder he

knows what info passengers want.:)

yours Shogun

Once again, Many Thanks to those of you on board for keeping us up to speed on the situation... If you do miss two ports I'll be interested in the Peace Out Offering they devise... Keep the information coming!

A ship can't intentionally plan an itinerary that violates the PSA, even if they're willing to pay the penalty. They can apply for a waiver if they have to.

Hope you get good news soon!

Is the Jones Act the reason they're skipping Maui for Ensenada? Cuz I'd totally rather skip Ensenada than Maui. And I'm pretty Maui'd out at the moment.

Hi

Roger Bilton is very approachable as a Captain, spent time with him on the Royal Pre Maiden when he was a passenger, odd seeing Captains having to do passenger muster drill.

yours Shogun

Sounds like the only way to get out of muster drill is they way I did, being in the infirmary w/ norovirus.

The captain set a good example for everyone.