good news and bad news live from grand princess

tml1230

Is the Jones Act the reason they're skipping Maui for Ensenada? Cuz I'd totally rather skip Ensenada than Maui. And I'm pretty Maui'd out at the moment.

No, it is not the Jones act, it is the PVSA (Passenger Vessel Services Act).

No, it is not the Jones act, it is the PVSA (Passenger Vessel Services Act).

The PVSA in 2015 makes makes as much sense as a "regulation" that all businesses that serve food and/or beverages must maintain a Hitchin' Post and Water Trough for their customers who arrive on horseback!

Seriously, it's 7:30PM+ here on the west coast and the bridge cam shows you're still in the sunshine portside in Honolulu.

Are you still heading for Ensenada or did Princess manage to get a waiver?

The PVSA in 2015 makes makes as much sense as a "regulation" that all businesses that serve food and/or beverages must maintain a Hitchin' Post and Water Trough for their customers who arrive on horseback!

Seriously, it's 7:30PM+ here on the west coast and the bridge cam shows you're still in the sunshine portside in Honolulu.

Are you still heading for Ensenada or did Princess manage to get a waiver?

The last time someone attempted to modify the PVSA (which was a few years ago), it was to make it stronger, not weaker. However, in the end no changes were made.

They were rushing to get food because in any large group acting as a unit, the intellectual level of the group as a whole and therefore of each of its members descends to the intellectual level of the lease intelligent member of the group. In other words, all groups act stupidly.

DON

Agree that the intelligence level of the least intelligent member becomes the intelligence of the group.

I would stay on board myself. If I waited as long as I have to go on a cruise, I'm staying on board - unless there's no food or water or wine! Then there's no point in staying on board. Leaving tomorrow for the Panama Canal cruise. Staying in FLL for a couple of days to unwind.

I do agree that when the wine runs out it is time to get off the ship!

Have fun on your canal cruise. We enjoyed both our through canal cruise and in/out cruise.

Given what I have learned about this cruise, my choice would be to stay on the ship for the return to SF.

We're staying. Financially, both options were equal. But we feel confident that the Coast Guard has ok'd it. And we don't want an additional 6 hours of flying. The crew is excellent, our suite is fantastic, 2nd day in Honolulu was great, and we trust God to be with us. I think most people are staying. Will be interesting to hear a count later. I fully intend to enjoy the rest of my vacation.

Personally, I think Princess has handled this "first class", including the extremely generous compensation package. We'll definitely be booking a cruise with Princess for 2017! :D

We are staying on the ship for the return. We are on our way to get a rental car for Oahu day 2. Hoping for a boat full of happy people on the way back. Maybe the complainer will choose the flight home option. :)

So funny!!! We said the exact same thing! If you complain now, you only have yourself to blame! :D

So funny!!! We said the exact same thing! If you complain now, you only have yourself to blame! :D

Hopefully you have smooth sailing to Ensenada. I agree with all who have mentioned the great attitudes of those who have posted. Certainly the complainers will want to "jump ship" at the first opportunity so I'm sure you will all get your wish.

That's great news! I think I'd take the airfare offer and stay in HI for a few days. What are you going to do?

You didn't get a choice of dates to fly home; you go today or tomorrow whenever they w ere able to book you.

We're pulling out now - 6:30pm hawaii time.

Also just heard from another passenger that last night a group of maybe 30 people were possibly starting a riot in the atrium. Calling the captain names and getting into the coast guards face. Not sure if it true or really exaggerated but maybe it will make it on the Reflections dvd. I'm having a great vacation and will continue cruising with Princess next year.

If we were on the Grand right now there would be no question, we would stay on it to San Fran. No flying home for us, we love voyaging and we really love sea days. Somebody posted that Princess should concentrate on maintenance and not future bookings. Wow, so how is the corporation to maintain economic headway if they quit booking guests? Sounds like committing management hari-kari to me, glad they aren't on the company's board.

Anyway, counting our next cruise we will have sailed Princess 100 days in just a little over one year and 225 days overall, great voyages so far. On the average Princess has less mechanical foul ups and delays than the other majors. I attribute this to them staying away from pod propulsion until more of the bugs have been worked out of those relatively new systems. During our, going on 600, days of sailing the only times we have really had major propulsion problems was when we were on ships with pods, but we only cruise on Regent, HAL and Princess.

I agree with the posters who salivate at the settlement package Princess is offering, basically one free cruise, this one, then another of similar duration for 50% off.

We don't use Celebrity but understand they are a pretty good line as well. Two years ago their Millennium blew a pod here in Alaska, they had to drag a screw all the way to the dry dock in Bahamas and completely replace the pod, skipping all ports of call. They gave a similar refund package, I believe, to what Princess is doing now. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1908222...

That's a lot of people who jumped ship. I would much prefer cruising than airport waits, TSA, flying time, etc. Their loss, your gain. The ship wasn't full to begin with. All the suite people knew better than to leave (sorry for whoever was thinking of moving in).

Just thought you'd like to know where she is 3 hours after departure.

She's entering the Moloka'i Channel and it is going to be a little rough with the high surf alerts on the north shore (storm coming down from Alaska). Just did a sail by Waikiki. Good thing she is going west to Ensenada and not straight back to San Francisco.

Grand Princess.pdf

Edited by cr8tiv1

That's a lot of people who jumped ship. I would much prefer cruising than airport waits, TSA, flying time, etc. Their loss, your gain.

Thanks for the update. Were all the issues resolved or are you still at reduced speed?

Those of us boarding on the 10th really appreciate your information.

Thanks for the update. Were all the issues resolved or are you still at reduced speed?

Those of us boarding on the 10th really appreciate your information.

I'm not on her this time (sure wish I were). It looks like she is traveling at a decent speed (17 knots). I am sure they would not have chanced a departure if she wasn't ready. But at the same time, in my opinion only, I don't think the Captain will push her. It is going to be a stress on her going from Ensenada to San Francisco.

Kudos to Princess for a quality compensation package to the affected pax, and cheers to you onboard who are handing the situation with a positive attitude! I'm with most of you...free cruise, partially free future cruise, $200 free money to spend while crossing the Pacific, a balcony with endless sea views, and abundant food and entertainment; sign me up to stay onboard for the crossing! Wishing you a safe and enjoyable cruise home! [emoji568]

Wow, that compensation is amazing. I'm really glad my highest status is with Princess and that just really tempers any itch I have to try another line. I will try Royal, but I really can't see myself giving the likes of Norwegian or Carnival another shot for quite some time.

That's a lot of people who jumped ship. I would much prefer cruising than airport waits, TSA, flying time, etc. Their loss, your gain. The ship wasn't full to begin with. All the suite people knew better than to leave (sorry for whoever was thinking of moving in).

She's entering the Moloka'i Channel and it is going to be a little rough with the high surf alerts on the north shore (storm coming down from Alaska). Just did a sail by Waikiki. Good thing she is going west to Ensenada and not straight back to San Francisco.

I wouldn't call it a loss - I would prefer a week in Hawaii to sailing back as soon as I got here (we're on Kauai now for a week:D), even if I had to pay my own way back home using the very generous refund/FCC that Princess gave the passengers. To each her own.:)

Have a great cruise home.. wish I was there with you.. I love the Grand and her crew.. You couldn't be with a better group.

Maybe all the complainers got off in Honolulu and you will be able to enjoy a cruise home with only happy, optimistic, interesting passengers.. :D

As worrisome as this thread started out, I've enjoyed reading it more than most others.. The optimism, thankfulness and inventive outlook of most posters has been refreshing..