A River Cruising Newbie

Keith1010

Is there one area in Paris where all the River Cruise ships dock?

As others have discovered, the answer to this is "no" - many (not all) of the Viking ships dock in a different location. I haven't read on this board of other lines having to dock in that location (name slips the mind right now....)

We stayed in the Marais on our last trip to Paris (apartment rental) and enjoyed it - close to a metro stop and centrally located enough to walk to many places we wanted to visit anyway.

I believe that the Crystal River ships will dock at Quai de Grenelle.

I found this information on the website when looking at our itinerary for Debussy in 2018.

Hope this helps!

That's great.

Was that on the Crystal Cruises web site or some other site?

Keith

As others have discovered, the answer to this is "no" - many (not all) of the Viking ships dock in a different location. I haven't read on this board of other lines having to dock in that location (name slips the mind right now....)

We stayed in the Marais on our last trip to Paris (apartment rental) and enjoyed it - close to a metro stop and centrally located enough to walk to many places we wanted to visit anyway.

Viking longships must dock in Le Pecq. I have not heard of any other cruise line that got bumped to the boonies.

Thanks, Fran.

If you or others would like to chime in on the ports that would be repeat ports.

Several of the ports in the second itinerary would be a repeat of the first one listed.

We would be sailing them one year apart.

http://www.crystalcruises.com/river-cruises/budapest-to-amsterdam--7D03

http://www.crystalcruises.com/river-cruises/round-trip-vienna--8M06

Appreciate views on this but realize that everyone has different experiences in ports and what one person like might not be as interesting to someone else.

Keith

Keith, I was curious to see your two possible itineraries for 2018, plus especially your repeat ports from 2017.

At Durnstein and Melk, you probably wouldn't find anything new to see, but at Bratislava and at Passau, I think you would. If you can wait until 2017 to make your final decision, it'll be easier to figure it out -- when you're actually there! also, TripAdvisor will help you decide. Even just looking at the tours offered will help you decide in advance. You will almost definitely have a few choices of what to do in almost every "port".

Actually, here's a blurb from an AmaWaterways itinerary that includes Bratislava:

"Wake up this morning in Bratislava, capital of Slovakia. You have your choice of two tours today. The first option is a walking tour of the city’s top sights, including the Old Town Hall, Mirbach Palace and St. Martin’s Cathedral. As an alternative, choose the “Communist History” tour that includes landmarks such as the Radio Building, Liberty Square and the Soviet War Memorial."

One nice advantage of the Vienna round trip river cruise is the stop at Linz, which I didn't see on your 2017 itinerary. We had an all-day tour of Linz and Salzburg, very enjoyable.

In Passau, on one itinerary, Ama offers this:

"You have your choice of two tours today, a Passau walking tour or an optional excursion to Salzburg." If you choose to go to Salzburg from Passau (either year), you could then do something different in Linz. Very well liked is a place called Cesky Krumlov.

As you can see (and if you look just at the Danube itineraries on AmaWaterways, and most likely on any high-end river cruise line), there are many different permutations and combinations -- of ports, and at the ports.

I just glanced at Scenic and was reminded that you can always borrow the ship's bicycles, even if they aren't offering a guided bike tour as one of the options at any of the stops. I'm guessing they will offer a guided bike tour at least once during the cruise, quite likely in a town you are repeating. So, you can see I think you will be totally happy with the Vienna-Vienna itinerary, despite the repeat ports.

The Baltic itinerary on Serenity looks wonderful, also. All stops that many cruisers absolutely adore.

So, that's my 2 cents' worth. :)

May, thank you so very much.

I greatly appreciate all of the information you posted.

I have a lot to learn about river cruises including many of the port stops.

Keith

Bratislava is a beautiful city with a castle...ok, but with exceptional views. a lovely main square with plenty of places to sit and enjoy it, and a river walk along the Danube that's really pretty.

• 1 month later...

I am starting to finalize hotels for our pre cruise stay in Paris for our first of the three River Cruises we have booked.

The first river cruise is R/T Paris and is in early June of 2017 but I am starting to see hotels listed with pricing and the ability to book them this far out.

You all have been so very helpful.

I've had recommendations for the Keppler Hotel from JP and Chris and a recommendation from Host Jazzbeeau for at Hôtel de Lutèce along with some other recommendations from some of you.

I realize that Paris is very large but any and all recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Keith

Hi Keith, I just booked 4 nights at Hyatt Park Vendome for June 2017 pre-River Cruise on Crystal. I was able to use Hyatt Gold Passport points. I am so excited, my first river cruise and we have never sailed with Crystal before. I will make the airline reservations around the end of July with United miles so we have some little savings on our costs. Virginia

Edited by skiladyldp

Hi Keith, I just booked 4 nights at Hyatt Park Vendome for June 2017 pre-River Cruise on Crystal. I was able to use Hyatt Gold Passport points. I am so excited, my first river cruise and we have never sailed with Crystal before. I will make the airline reservations around the end of July with United miles so we have some little savings on our costs. Virginia

Virginia, thank you so very much.

I will check it out.

Keith

Hi Keith, I just booked 4 nights at Hyatt Park Vendome for June 2017...

Oh, that's a great hotel! We stayed there in 2010 for our first visit to Paris and we splurged for a suite, using points. A month or two after we made the reservation, Hyatt changed the rules for point redemption (they significantly devalued the points) but luckily they honored all pre-existing reservations using the old point value.

Wow! What a great room - one of the nicest I remember staying in. I don't know about any other room categories but I'm glad we didn't have to pay for it, as the room rates are stupidly expensive. I've looked at it for subsequent trips and I need to have an AED handy before I check the rates...:eek:

Good move using points to book, even though they aren't worth as much these days.

The thing to remember about Paris is that each neighborhood has a unique personality. We loved St Germaine area. It was centrally located, many places to eat and a wonderful atmosphere.

Thank you for the suggestion.

Keith

jpalbny, I could only book a standard room with the points I have. I have been saving points and dumped my Hyatt timeshare points into the mix as well. I am so excited for this trip.

Ha, I do that with my timeshare points too. :D

The devaluation of Hyatt points is, unfortunately, most impressive. In 2010 we got our suite at the Hyatt Place-Vendôme for 18,000 points per night. A suite goes for 48,000 per night now, and even a regular room costs 30,000. Yikes!

Check out property #192 on VRBO - vacation rentals by owners. Looks like a cute apartment, near the Louve so easy for getting around. Reasonable price.

Be very very careful if it sounds to good to be true.

Check out property #192 on VRBO - vacation rentals by owners. Looks like a cute apartment, near the Louve so easy for getting around. Reasonable price.

We likely are looking for a full service hotel but will check this out.

Can you provide a link.

I am not too familiar to VRBO.

I went to what I think is the site but don't see where I can find 192.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Keith

My wife and I have never taken a River Cruise before and about a year ago we decided that we wanted to take one in 2017 as this is a special year for us.

Since that time I have posted on this board asking for input on 2017 itineraries and river cruise lines and was provided with a wealth of information.

Also I started to read review that people wrote so from time to time I would post comments such as nice review.

We do cruise a lot and have taken several Crystal Sailings so when we heard the news a few months ago that Crystal Cruises was entering the River Cruising Market we decided that we would see what they announced and just yesterday a short while after the itineraries were released we booked not one but two of the Inaugural Cruises in 2017. The first one is in early June R/T Paris and the other one begins in late August from Budapest to Amsterdam.

I plan to continue to read reviews on this board and to post from time to time to ask questions.

Yes, we will be "newbies" when it comes to River Cruising and I know I will have lots of questions.

I know that I will learn a lot from this board.

Also, based on a recommendation from Host Jazzbeau I purchased a few months ago the River Cruising In Europe book written by Douglas Ward and published by Berlitz. I have been reading Douglas Ward's annual books on Cruising since the early 1990's. Since this is his first edition, it is not as extensive as those books, but still provides a lot of information.

We are very excited to begin the next chapter in cruising.

Keith

Good afternoon Keith.

My wife and I have a number of river cruises under our belts and, as I was just explaining on another thread, have generally stuck with Viking for our European ones, most recently along The Rhone...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2015/11/09/viking-hermod-portraits-of-southern-france/

22485055129_8c28c3930c_z.jpg

...but also through Budapest...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2013/05/28/solent-richard-catches-a-viking-maiden/

8856553137_28cbdd13e0_z.jpg

Later this year we are however trying Scenic though will return to Viking along the Rhine in 2017.

More recently we tried a 14 night river cruise along Burma's Irrawaddy which was just fabulous. So different and such an adventure...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2016/03/10/princess-panhwar-on-the-road-to-mandalay/

25282635040_01907ba63e_z.jpg

24951563273_ddd88b306a_z.jpg

There really is a world out there...

24987511074_efccd26ac8_z.jpg

I'd be delighted to answer any questions you may have: either through this forum or through my blog.

Have a nice day.

Richard

Hi Keith, :)I booked my hotels for my next River Cruise too:)...I am sailing

out of Amsterdam and ending in Basel for this one:D

I booked the same hotel in Amsterdam that I just stayed at last month

and my TA recommended a hotel in Basel called St. Gotthard and so

I am staying there post cruise for one night....the website comes up

GAIA hotel.....it looks really nice and is quite reasonable in price:)