On Reflection - Michales now open to everyone

andnosyd

the title of the thread says that now michael's is open to everyone. But, the discussion belies that claim as apparently only suite guests can now use michael's. Elite members who used to have access to michael's no longer do. Nor do any other non-suite passengers.

Since michael's was closed to those on elite level, we have noticed that most of the time the room has more staff than passengers. It was obviously being underutilized. Therefore, opening up the club to other suite passengers seems to make sense. It really doesn't matter to me since i can no longer use michael's as the so called elites were banned.

x2:(

I'll be boarding Silhouette tomorrow so I'll see for myself the impact of the change.

Charles - Let us know how bad it is. They were not supposed to open MC to Sky Suites until the cruise that starts two weeks from tomorrow. Tom

The title of the thread says that now Michael's is open to everyone. But, the discussion belies that claim as apparently only suite guests can now use Michael's. Elite members who used to have access to Michael's no longer do. Nor do any other non-suite passengers.

Since Michael's was closed to those on Elite level, we have noticed that most of the time the room has more staff than passengers. It was obviously being underutilized. Therefore, opening up the club to other suite passengers seems to make sense. It really doesn't matter to me since I can no longer use Michael's as the so called Elites were banned.

MC was used for Elite functions until the number of Elites grew too large for the venue. It was never a dedicated Elite lounge. Elites and above can go to the Elite a Hour or if too many Elites they are issued drink vouchers. After many financial failures MC was turned into a top Suite lounge as a way of encouraging top Suite bookings. The idea work quite well. I was in a Century Wuite on Century when the conversion took place and was able to use MC. The following cruise I was in a Sky Suite and barred from MC although the Century Suite was much less than then Sky Suite. I was told by the person who was in charge of setting up the program that there were just too many Sky Suites and MC could not handle the numbers. They haven't increased the size, but now feel that they can. I believe that Celebrity's motivation for now including Sky Suites is the bottom line. Nothing is free and just watch how the prices of Sky Suites increase to cover extra drink costs. Many who now enjoy Sky Suites will simply be priced out of the market. MC was a real attraction for top Suite guests because of the lack of crowds and great conversation. I'm afraid that will be lost and many will simply go to other lines that offer a more intimate experience. At least that's what many have said. I also see possible restrictions on using MC to get water and soft drinks during the day. Won't affect me since I get the Premium Package, but I foresee lots of complaints on Cruise Critic. I see this as a money grabbing scheme that's doom to backfire. Hope I'm wrong and only time will tell. I think that any new builds should include a space large enough to include ALL Suites.

Neither have we. However your post is not only condescending in tone, but sort of nasty. I just wanted to report on what is happening, not looking for personal sympathy. Please look elsewhere to post your bad vibes.

You have my sincere apologies if you feel wounded by my thoughts. Let me offer a softer, more balanced perspective.

Even before all the changes, Michael's Club always used to look like there should be tumbleweed blowing through it whenever I went near. Maybe just a few people in a corner, looking like they are holding a seance and I'll bet it will be the case for most of your cruise as well. I'll bet you've never been turned away from Blu when gong for breakfast or dinner or even had to wait for a table. I certainly haven't, yet I've seen a queue of AQ pax behind us. This, despite the place only supposedly being for the use of Aqua passengers and us mere RS pax being "availability only".

I appreciate that you're paying top dollar and expect to see the benefit. However, your comment relates to embarkation day, when everything, for everyone is manic. If it's all slapdash and dreadful throughout the rest of the cruise I'd be much more concerned than a minor glitch on day one.

For my final thought, I'll offer a comparison. DW and I tend to alternate between X and Cunard in Queens Grill. There are lot of suites equivalent to an RS and there's no-one to walk you on board (not unless you are in Q1) but it's hardly the end of the world, is it? The Grills Lounge and the terrace outside are shared by QG and PG passengers. It isn't big enough for the number of people who might like afternoon tea every day, certainly not big enough for most people to have a pre-dinner snifter. Here's the thing......... people know it's size and get there in time or do something different. And of course, during the day when not at all busy it's a great place to meet interesting people.

It's a very special life in RS. Enjoy your holiday and I hope it's a seamless as you like.

p.s. Declaration of interest - next time out we've dropped to a mere CS. Michael's still won't be a big part of the itinerary though.

I think when people discuss a bored staff in there they may not realize how much is goi g on in service behind the scenes. MC is a concierge service and no one person can handle what is requested now. So it seems impossible they can do it with so many more guests.

I know they are going to bring in guest services, but the type of service maybe a bit different than normal GS requests. We are still awaiting requests we made before we boarded and will do our best to tie up loose ends before the next group because I don't see how this is all to be done.

I think they also need to make sure those suites have drink packages. They may as well they get premium anyway in MC.

They may also need to lean on butlers a bit more for their assistance. SS used to know they got less service, or at least we did, so now I am not sure what expectations are coming into the mix.

Discarding the specialty restaurants reservations isn't going to cut the workload that much, as SS used to do it themselves or ask the butler to do it.

They can also take the concept out of the the room. mc can hold events other places. Maybe the elite venue.

There are more sales type events now and the more that happens the more people will not attend I think.

The title of the thread says that now Michael's is open to everyone. But, the discussion belies that claim as apparently only suite guests can now use Michael's. Elite members who used to have access to Michael's no longer do. Nor do any other non-suite passengers.

Since Michael's was closed to those on Elite level, we have noticed that most of the time the room has more staff than passengers. It was obviously being underutilized. Therefore, opening up the club to other suite passengers seems to make sense. It really doesn't matter to me since I can no longer use Michael's as the so called Elites were banned.

From our own experience it makes sense. It was a toss up between Celler Masters and Michael's on who would have the least number of people in it on our cruise. Really Celebrity need to look at certain areas of the ship and I would include the World Class Bar in that which just serves a limited number of drinks that hardly anyone wants most days.

We are currently booked on Reflection March 5, 2016 cruise in a A1 with a oversize balcony. I emailed my TA last night and I now have a Sky suite on hold.

We liked MC back in the day when they closed it in the evening for the elite events. Now we like the Sky lounge with the views for the elite/plus events. I'm not sure how much we will use MC. I like to get to the ship after 1:30 and as we are going to Key West after the cruise we dont need to catch a flight.

I've done the numbers. We had booked this cruise on a cruise with 123Go promo getting all 3. Cost difference is $900, but we get $300 more OBC.

With the Sky suite we get all 4. The package changes are. We would get 200 plus internet mins with Elite Plus now unlimited internet. Drink package from Classic to Premium Beverage Package.

I'm hoping I can move my current reservation to a July 2017 Baltic cruise. If I cant move the current reservation I might just keep what I have.

I will miss the Aqua shower wall.

MC was used for Elite functions until the number of Elites grew too large for the venue. It was never a dedicated Elite lounge. Elites and above can go to the Elite a Hour or if too many Elites they are issued drink vouchers. After many financial failures MC was turned into a top Suite lounge as a way of encouraging top Suite bookings. The idea work quite well. I was in a Century Wuite on Century when the conversion took place and was able to use MC. The following cruise I was in a Sky Suite and barred from MC although the Century Suite was much less than then Sky Suite. I was told by the person who was in charge of setting up the program that there were just too many Sky Suites and MC could not handle the numbers. They haven't increased the size, but now feel that they can. I believe that Celebrity's motivation for now including Sky Suites is the bottom line. Nothing is free and just watch how the prices of Sky Suites increase to cover extra drink costs. Many who now enjoy Sky Suites will simply be priced out of the market. MC was a real attraction for top Suite guests because of the lack of crowds and great conversation. I'm afraid that will be lost and many will simply go to other lines that offer a more intimate experience. At least that's what many have said. I also see possible restrictions on using MC to get water and soft drinks during the day. Won't affect me since I get the Premium Package, but I foresee lots of complaints on Cruise Critic. I see this as a money grabbing scheme that's doom to backfire. Hope I'm wrong and only time will tell. I think that any new builds should include a space large enough to include ALL Suites.

I agree that X is using access to MC as an incentive to sell the SS,especially on the Reflection. But what I don't understand is how they could be rational about the limitations of MC on the Century, but totally irrational about MC on the S-class, again especially on the Reflection. I also concur that the ambience in Michaels will change significantly, and not necessarily for the better.

I hope you are not correct about restricting access to water and other non-alcoholic beverages from MC. Many guests do not drink alcohol and this is a very nice benefit for which we are all paying a dear price.

Well if you want to come down now, hubby and I are the only ones here and the staff to guest ratio is 1:1!

Let us know how crowded it is at the Senior Officers party tonight. It will be interesting with 200+ people invited:confused:

Let us know how crowded it is at the Senior Officers party tonight. It will be interesting with 200+ people invited:confused:

I've noticed there is a pattern of usage in MC. Some, but very few use it for breakfast since they have Luminae, room service and other options. Some use it during sea days to escape the crowds, but most tend to drop by to pick up a drink. Use increases before dinner and Theater and after the show. Special events( Senior Officers, entertainers) tend to draw larger crowds if they are announced in advance. Although service tends to end at about 11:00pm, people tend to stay later. All depends on the crowd. On my last two cruises MC was very busy. Great people and fantastic conversations.Every cruise is different.

On my sailing on the Reflection in October, I left my camera in cabin #8253. Would anyone be so kind as to ask Guest Relations if they have found. Would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!:)

On my sailing on the Reflection in October, I left my camera in cabin #8253. Would anyone be so kind as to ask Guest Relations if they have found. Would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!:)

I am on the Reflection now. It may be that they will ask for a little more info before letting me know? Maybe not total ID of the camera but at least what brand it is?

I will try to ask this afternoon. My husband is watching the Jets game so we are confined to our cabin.. Thank heavens for balconies!! LOL!!!

Edited by jewliana

We are presently on the Reflection and had an early dinner in Murano last night. We are not suite class this sailing but being aware of the issue with Michaels I took a peek. It looked like a ghost town and someone saw me lingering at the door for a few seconds and was coming to open the door. :-)

Anyway, that is all I can report for now. If anyone wants I can peek in at various times to see if it is so busy as being reported :-0

With free drinks, the place will be packed. If a lot have the beverage package, not so much. It will be a zoo on TA's.

That is very true,when you look at the booking on Sky Suites on Celebrity Eclipse 2017 fall sailing,it is almost all booked even with a price increase of $800.00 compare to previous years sailing.

I am on the Reflection now. It may be that they will ask for a little more info before letting me know? Maybe not total ID of the camera but at least what brand it is?

I will try to ask this afternoon. My husband is watching the Jets game so we are confined to our cabin.. Thank heavens for balconies!! LOL!!!

Thanks:) It is a Nikon Coolpix in a black case. The camera itself is a burganday. I lost it on the Oct 23rd TA sailing. I appreciate it!

Edited by dmk

I think todays tragedy in Tortola when two Celebrity Summit passengers were killed in a bus accident, and many more injured, kind of puts whether Michaels Club is too crowded or not into real perspective.

Its becomes totally irrelevant.

My sympathies to the families and friends of those involved.

Edited by phbr

We did stop by at 4, no one was in there. We didn't go for a drink before dinner, so I don't know how busy it was. They have 2 concierges now, and more wait staff. It was a unpleasant surprise yesterday when we boarded and were told this is the first trip that now has sky suites allowed into Michaels and couldn't get a seat. But with the drink package, if it's busy like that again, we'll have to find somewhere else to go.

The other small issue is that the concierges used to recognize you when you walked in, usually after the first day. So far that hasn't happened, but maybe they will later in the week.

I think todays tragedy in Tortola when two Celebrity Summit passengers were killed in a bus accident, and many more injured, kind of puts whether Michaels Club is too crowded or not into real perspective.

Its becomes totally irrelevant.

My sympathies to the families and friends of those involved.

This is awful news. I didn't hear anything about it onboard today.

Love your animation bit. A nice nod to Tex Avery's Red hot riding Hood.

We are in our first Sky Suite on Reflection in January. We always have the premium liquor package. We take three cruises a year and all during the day, on these cruises, we have only seen maybe two people in MC. There are soooooo many other venues[emoji1]. I just want to try it. I might find that I like other venues better, who knows. We don't use the Captain's Club Concierge, so don't know if we would use one in MC. We don't use the spa. I assume our butler will make our dinner reservations. I want the opportunity to try it and now I will. I think once things settle down it will be fine. Why is anyone surprised that Celebrity would try and make more money?? They run a business[emoji33]. I am shocked that the glass shows are still operating. They cost money and don't generate any revenue!!!