International Flights through Charlotte

Texas Tillie

I'm looking at an international flight next Sept. between Houston and Rome. Right now the best combination of price and times of flights appear to be on American through Charlotte. What is the Charlotte airport like on flights returning from Europe with respect to immigration/customs and getting luggage to the onward flight? I'd think it might be better than other, larger airports, but then again, I could be all wrong. Would appreciate hearing from those who have experienced that airport with international flights. Thanks! :)

Patty

Grugrats has it right. I would pick the flights that makes the most sense to you. Allow sufficient time to clear immigration and customs and for me that is more time than just the legal connection.

Even when I connect though the same airport the experience can vary based on many factors.

Keith

I have connected internationally several times through Charlotte ( 4 times total) and it is one of my favorite airports.

It is much easier to navigate than LAX or MIA for example and the connecting gates are much closer.

I have experienced quite a large immigration line there .. So do allow yourself adequate time for your connection.

The airport has some charming stores and I love the rocking chairs throughout the terminal. The former US Airways lounge is very spacious and pleasant.

I would chose to connect through Charlotte over several other airports.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We've done this in reverse to you and Charlotte was a breeze compared to many other larger US airports :). We've had many more queues in Philly. I won't go through all our experiences in the various US airports :p, however so far, our worst has definitely been JFK - put our younger DS in panic mode for the next 2 years of his flying life :eek:!

CLT is pretty easy. Go for it.

I agree that generally, most airports are the same for immigration. While I try to avoid LAX and JFK, I've had both very good and quite poor experiences there. But, generally, they're all the same - bigger airports have bigger facilities and more staff to accommodate the larger number of people.

That being said, I went through immigration last week in Honolulu and it was a freakin' nightmare. Never again will I have an international arrival in to HNL.