Boardwalk balcony vs oceanview balcony, need advise

We are looking at a cruise on Harmony of the Seas for next year September in Europe. I have sailed on the Oasis before in an ocean view balcony but since this cruise is so port intensive we are thinking about an boardwalk balcony cabin.

I am just a little bit worried about noise. advise anyone?

Thanks!

Patricia

Edited by patjeblauw

It usually won't be noisy after the end of the last Aquatheater show. However, I agree with the others that I would much prefer an ocean view balcony. It's hard enough to see outside the ship on Oasis class.

From the YouTube videos, it looks like there's a suction in the door.

When the sliding door was shut, you didn't hear the Boardwalk activity.

I myself is trying to decide between the Allure or taking advantage of NCL promotion and sail on the Escape.

If I book the Allure, It would definitely be a Boardwalk balcony. As close to the Aqua theatre as I can get.

Just to try it out. You can also see the ocean. How much of the ocean is based upon your cabins location.

Edited by Cruzinbabe06

We personally love the boardwalk balcony option. We get close to the aft and can see the aqua theater and open view to the ocean. The "secret" balconies at the end of the corridors are great places to watch sailaways as well. But it's all personal preference. Noise was never an issue with us

I would never pay for an inside facing balcony. Even on a port intensive cruise, some of the views as you approach those historic and beautiful cities can be highlights of the trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not to mention just being able to step out first thing in the morning, and last thing at night, and have the sea and sky right there. For me, that's what being on a ship is all about.

I realize and respect that others of course have their own preferences.

The secret balconies are gone. They are now suites.

I agree with others, an ocean view balcony is better than a boardwalk balcony. Plus there is the privacy issue. You have balcony staterooms across from you that can peer in. A better way to think about it is, when you are booking a hotel room, an ocean view room is always preferable than a playground view. Ultimately the choice is yours, but you did ask for help. Ether way the cruise should be great on the Harmony. It's a matter of what you want to look at at sail away, and as a previous poster said, you will miss the views in and out of port. On our New England cruise, Which was very port intensive, we loved watching as we approached each port in the morning.

Thanks everybody for your comments so far!! I absolutely love an oceanview balcony but also the price is a factor and as the difference between the two types of cabin will pay for our airfare I think we will go for the boardwalk balcony this time.

patricia

Thanks everybody for your comments so far!! I absolutely love an oceanview balcony but also the price is a factor and as the difference between the two types of cabin will pay for our airfare I think we will go for the boardwalk balcony this time.

patricia

Enjoy! Come back and tell us about it.

Edited by Cruzinbabe06

We prefer the ocean view balcony but have also tried Boardwalk balcony on Oasis, due to lower price, and it was fine. No noise issue at all. We stayed the furthest away from the Aqua theater because I like to be close to the stairs and as close to mid ship as I can get. We are sailing the Allure next month and are going to try Central Park balcony. We have found on the big ships there is so much to do it wasn't worth the extra price of the ov balcony. Good luck!

I had a Boardwalk balcony 9727 on Oasis this summer, 2nd from the theater. We had a great view of the theater and a pretty good view off the stern. With the balcony door locked there was little noise in the room even with a show or movie playing. The only down side I saw was it is a bit of walk forward to the stairs.

patricia

If there is a cost factor then certainly take that into consideration. However, the Boardwalk area sort of reminds be of a condominium complex which I'm not really looking for when on a cruise. The nice thing about those cabins, depending on your C&A level, is that you can use your balcony discount just like you can for an ocean view balcony.

I would never pay for an inside facing balcony. Even on a port intensive cruise, some of the views as you approach those historic and beautiful cities can be highlights of the trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I largely agree, but you know the old saying about never. If it was a great deal and it was the last balcony available I might ;)

patricia

I am an "ocean view balcony" kind of guy. BUT... we did a Boardwalk Balcony a couple years ago on Allure. We were on deck 12 just below the landing pad for the Zip Line. I liked it. The only time we heard any noise was when they had a party, like the "70's Party" at the Aqua Theater. We usually go to those, but we were relaxing in our cabin and I sat on the balcony and watched the fun. But generally it was pretty quiet. Yes we could wave to our friends on the other side of the ship. But I liked sitting on the balcony in the quiet mornings watching the ship wake up. I liked sitting out there while my wife napped or got ready and just watching the "action." And it was fun watching the Zip Line riders pass over a few decks above. I would have preferred closer to the back of the ship for a better view of the water, but I didn't mind the location at all.

As for Central Park balconies, I have never done one, but for me, it seems too "closed in." We had friends who did one, also on deck 12 below the pool deck and they said it was so noisy from the pool deck that they couldn't really enjoy their balcony.

I will always do an Ocean view balcony if I can. But Boardwalk would be my next choice. I know others would prefer Central Park, but I liked watching the people on the Boardwalk. If cost is a factor, I say go for it. Just know what to expect.

We're looking forward to trying a Boardwalk balcony on the Allure. We live very close to the ocean and pass by it several times a day so water views are not of great interest to us. Outside balconies are on any ship but inside balconies are available on only a few ships in the world so we like the novelty factor.

By no means an "experienced" cruiser. Have only been on one previous cruise on carnival. We had a balcony room. Maybe it's just me, but we did hit a rough patch, and being able to go on balcony and see the horizon seemed to help me from getting seasick.

We try to keep it on the cheap, but feel the ocean view balcony is worth cost. Going on Allure in a couple weeks and got balcony again.

We did the very last Boardwalk cabin deck 10, viewing the Aqua Theater next to the secret balcony(no longer there:() and we said never again. I need the privacy and the ocean too much, although we enjoyed the secret balcony.

No privacy at all from our cabin, felt funny going out there in my bathrobe and having breakfast...rather like being docked next to another ship...ya know, when you see everyone on their balcony across from you. Just sayin...

We had a boardwalk balcony on our 2012 Allure cruise and have booked 11729 for Nov 2016. (last one back)

Loved the view, the Aqua Theater and watching the activity down below. They had Rita's Cantina (now gone) and we missed out on the party and were so envious listening to all the noise and music.

We usually sail balconies but you can't get something like this on every ship.

Maybe we won't do it a third time but we're excited for the upcoming one.

We loved our boardwalk balcony room on Allure so much we are leaving next week for our 2nd cruise in the same cabin.

What do we love about being on the boardwalk:

- You get to see the dive shows and movies from your balcony

- There is always something going on to watch: shows, parties, people

- You can still see the ocean - just look past the ocean aria theater

- We were close to the action on boardwalk including easy access to snacks like the hot dogs, ice cream and donuts

- You can still get some sun and fresh air

You can get an ocean view on any ship - only Oasis class gives you the boardwalk. You CAN see the ocean out of the back of the ship.

We were on deck 14 - so we had no noise issues from the boardwalk when the doors to the balcony were shut. We could hear the 'thumps' from the zip line - but it was never an issue.

It may not be for everyone, but our family loves being in a boardwalk balcony and we are looking forward t boarding in a few days.

We loved our boardwalk balcony room on Allure so much we are leaving next week for our 2nd cruise in the same cabin.

What do we love about being on the boardwalk:

- You get to see the dive shows and movies from your balcony

- There is always something going on to watch: shows, parties, people

- You can still see the ocean - just look past the ocean aria theater

- We were close to the action on boardwalk including easy access to snacks like the hot dogs, ice cream and donuts

- You can still get some sun and fresh air

You can get an ocean view on any ship - only Oasis class gives you the boardwalk. You CAN see the ocean out of the back of the ship.

We were on deck 14 - so we had no noise issues from the boardwalk when the doors to the balcony were shut. We could hear the 'thumps' from the zip line - but it was never an issue.

It may not be for everyone, but our family loves being in a boardwalk balcony and we are looking forward t boarding in a few days.

Glad you enjoy it, but not sure how you can say you have easy access to the boardwalk snacks from a deck 14 aft. Are you repelling down ;)