I'll never forget you long beach, goodbye!

Timsierramist

Taking my very first cruise on January 7th. Like many first timers, I've chosen Carnival Imagination out of Long Beach for my intro cruise.

In general, but specific to Carnival Imagination, I know the place to be for a newb like me upon embarkation out of port is topside, along the railing, waving goodbye to the thousands of jealous folks from the dock like in Titanic such as Long Beach City Mayor, Local Fisherman One Eyed Mackerel and the Queen (Mary) herself.

Romancing aside, I'm curious where some of you choose to be when those props start spinning you off into the Pacific. ImageUploadedByForums1450086138.034841.jpg.5790cfa2db1fde8473844cd43d42bb42.jpg

I'm sure it will be crowded no matter where I choose to go. But do you prefer the bow, stern area or perhaps the side?

I also know some of you Vets will be in the bar or snoozing in the cabin, lol.

Thanks for the input. This is obviously an important part of my first time experience!

That's a great first time cruise, but for nos 2, head to the Caribbean. Long Bch has great facilities, embarkation/debarkation was a breeze. Sailaway is a little uneventful from LB. One of my favorite spots on Fantasy class ships is out the back door of the lido buffet on either side of the ship. Enjoy!

It varies. Looking back at my last few cruises, we were in our cabin looking out the window, pool deck area with kids glued to the glass, aft pool deck at the bar during a sailaway party, at our balcony, and sitting at an outdoor theater watching a sailaway celebration.

So I guess we don't have a specific place, just what feels right at the moment (sometimes it's just where we are caught at the moment when the ship starts moving).

Whatever you choose to do, I hope that you have a great cruise, and that it has a better ending than the above referenced Titanic! [emoji6]

Taking my very first cruise on January 7th. Like many first timers, I've chosen Carnival Imagination out of Long Beach for my intro cruise.

In general, but specific to Carnival Imagination, I know the place to be for a newb like me upon embarkation out of port is topside, along the railing, waving goodbye to the thousands of jealous folks from the dock like in Titanic such as Long Beach City Mayor, Local Fisherman One Eyed Mackerel and the Queen (Mary) herself.

Romancing aside, I'm curious where some of you choose to be when those props start spinning you off into the Pacific. [ATTACH]371054[/ATTACH]

I'm sure it will be crowded no matter where I choose to go. But do you prefer the bow, stern area or perhaps the side?

Thanks for the input. This is obviously an important part of my first time experience!

Well, we like our balcony. If that wasn't an option. my answer would depend on 2 things. First, it depends on the ship. Second, do you like to be in the heart of things or want a quiet moment? If it is a ship with an "open" lido (some have glass so you would need to go higher), and you like the heart of things, than that would be your spot. If you like quiet, then lower on whatever deck the outside promenade is will likely have less people.

Depends on where the fewest people are and where I can get top notch views of the R.M.S. Queen Mary as we depart.

On a Fantasy class ship the area on the Sun Deck (13) in front of the putt putt golf area is good view forward. But its not big.

The sports deck aft by the funnel and slide entrances has some good views aft.

Deck 11 aft of the Waterworks for aft viewing.

The deck 10 and 9 (Serenity) areas are usually crowded.

Great tips so far!

Wouldn't mind a quitter setting. I assume that small area in front of city sports park facing the front would be ha packed?

On Verndah deck forward on the port side there's a door leading out to the open deck and this gives the best sail away viewing for us. All the good viewing areas will be busy so get a drink and get there 30 minutes before sailing and you'll be good to go, literally :)

That's a great first time cruise, but for nos 2, head to the Caribbean. Long Bch has great facilities, embarkation/debarkation was a breeze. Sailaway is a little uneventful from LB. One of my favorite spots on Fantasy class ships is out the back door of the lido buffet on either side of the ship. Enjoy!

My favorite spot on the Fantasy ship also.

I had to look up a picture of the front of the Imagination, but I think I know where you are talking about. I'll shoot for this after the drill.

Aft. It will be dark during sail away and you'll see the lights of Long Beach fade away. Forward can be very windy

Deck 11 by the water slides

Deck 10 Lido- the little decks behind the pizza station and bar in the buffet. Also has the advantage of having netting to keep the gulls away.

Deck 9 Serenity deck.

Edited by SadieN

We are especially partial to the Imagination and will be on her again on January17th (our wedding was on the Imagination....hence my handle on this forum) and we prefer to sail away on the Serenity Deck. Go through the comedy club and through the door to your right. It is one of the few times that the Serenity Deck isn't crowded. There will be servers to bring you a drink and it will be a perfect sail away.

Edited by ImaginationCruiseBride

On our first cruise, we were walking the decks. We didn't even know we were moving. i remember asking my husband "are we moving?, i think were moving!" Now, we spend sail away from our balcony because we just don't care much for the sail away party that Carnival has.

If you don't have a balcony, I would think that the aft area of the ship would be nice. I think it would make for some pretty pictures as well as you pull out of the port area and into the actual ocean, the ships wake, maybe the sunset.Yep, that's where I would prefer to be!

We are especially partial to the Imagination and will be on her again on January17th (our wedding was on the Imagination....hence my handle on this forum) and we prefer to sail away on the Serenity Deck. Go through the comedy club and through the door to your right. It is one of the few times that the Serenity Deck isn't crowded. There will be servers to bring you a drink and it will be a perfect sail away.

There are also stairs from those little decks behind the lido.

Whatever you do, do not go thru the comedy club while a show is going on. You'll become part of the show, especially if you're wearing a bathrobe.

There are also stairs from those little decks behind the lido.

Whatever you do, do not go thru the comedy club while a show is going on. You'll become part of the show, especially if you're wearing a bathrobe.

From experience!? :eek: lol.

You guys are right. Aft is the place to be since you can't see anything at that hour. Thanks again!

For the Fantasy class, I love the Serenity deck, however since I always cruise with my kids and Camp isn't open, we generally just find a spot with some good windows and we sit there and just watch LA disappear. Other ships I get a balcony and that is where I hang out.

Here's a picture I took on one of the Fantasy-class ships that shows two excellent places to be during a January sailaway from Long Beach.

CarnivalInspiration-Serenity.jpg

Since it will be dark and most likely cold and windy at sailaway, you'd be smart to hang out at one of the wind-protected areas at the back of the ship.

In the picture, you can see three different levels of the back of the ship. The top level is totally exposed to the weather. You don't want to be there at sailaway. The middle level that you can see in the picture is Lido deck. If you just go out the doors at the back of the Lido buffet restaurant, you will be on that covered outdoor dining area with the tables and chairs. That's a good place to be if it happens to be raining at sailaway. Remember, this is an El Nino year, and the rainiest months in Los Angeles are January and February.

I would actually recommend that you view the sailaway from the Serenity Retreat, which is the bottom level that you can see in this picture. There are comfortable loungers, and two Jacuzzis! There are also quite a few places to sit under an overhang that totally protects you from wind and rain. In the picture, the protected seating area is basically directly underneath the restaurant... out of view of the camera.

I say pack your swimsuit in your carry-on bag so that you keep the option open to view the sailaway from one of the Jacuzzis there at the Serenity Retreat!

Here's a picture I took on one of the Fantasy-class ships that shows two excellent places to be during a January sailaway from Long Beach.

CarnivalInspiration-Serenity.jpg

Since it will be dark and most likely cold and windy at sailaway, you'd be smart to hang out at one of the wind-protected areas at the back of the ship.

In the picture, you can see three different levels of the back of the ship. The top level is totally exposed to the weather. You don't want to be there at sailaway. The middle level that you can see in the picture is Lido deck. If you just go out the doors at the back of the Lido buffet restaurant, you will be on that covered outdoor dining area with the tables and chairs. That's a good place to be if it happens to be raining at sailaway. Remember, this is an El Nino year, and the rainiest months in Los Angeles are January and February.

I would actually recommend that you view the sailaway from the Serenity Retreat, which is the bottom level that you can see in this picture. There are comfortable loungers, and two Jacuzzis! There are also quite a few places to sit under an overhang that totally protects you from wind and rain. In the picture, the protected seating area is basically directly underneath the restaurant... out of view of the camera.

I say pack your swimsuit in your carry-on bag so that you keep the option open to view the sailaway from one of the Jacuzzis there at the Serenity Retreat!

wow! Wow! WOW!!! Such an awesome pic! I plan on taking a ton too.

Romancing aside, I'm curious where some of you choose to be when those props start spinning you off into the Pacific. [ATTACH]371054[/ATTACH]

Interesting question. I usually try to find a less crowded area on deck and pick a spot by the rail. I have never had a problem finding a spot that was not crowded, usually on one of the upper decks.

I have sailed out of Long Beach, on the Legend. I found a practically deserted spot ont he Starboard side, one deck above lido, and stayed there quietly sipping my drink as we left the port. I'm sort of a "ship nerd" so the coolest thing I found about leaving Long Beach was the massive container terminal. We left at night, and you could still see the lights from all those gantry cranes many miles out at sea. I thought that was pretty cool.

I hope you find a great spot to enjoy your first sail away, and enjoy your cruise!

By the way, if you want to keep an eye on the weather during the days leading up to your cruise... I've got a page on my web site that is basically set up to monitor the weather at my most common cruise ports. It gives a good view of the weather at Long Beach, Miami, New Orleans, Galveston, etc.

www.jimzim.net/Weather.html