My Bed Aboard the Crown

dag144

Just returned from a ;not so great cruise on the Crown. I did a review of the trip, but I thought it would be helpful to tackle each "beef" with a separate thread. I have recently been on two Crown cruises, a ten day in late Sept/early Oct. and a seven day which returned on Dec 12. I was in c101 and c235 respectively, both outside balcony cabins.

The beds were awful particularly on this last cruise. The mattress which is about seven inches thick sagged - with a capital S. I decided to see what was the cause of the sag and put my tablet under the bed to take a picture of the platform supporting the thin mattress. The support consists of a plastic coated wire crisis-crossed (attached) to a steel frame. This set-up should be described as a non-folding cot. It is very similar to the folding cots sold to accommodate spill-over guests at home. The set-up would not accommodate a board to make the bed more firm but thankfully this was only a seven day ordeal!

I don't think that I ever experienced such bad beds on other Princess cruises. I have cruised ten times eight of which were on other ships. My advise is to quiz the line or your TA to assure that your cabin has a real bed. I attached a pic of the contraption but don't know if it took.

20151211_105829.jpg.1af873e403e3e1ee2e6d70082766a88b.jpg

That is so disappointing to hear.

Although we all try to get involved with all the brilliant on-board activities and enjoy the dining and the shows, you just cannot beat a good bed to come back to, and relax and have a great nights sleep.

Thanks for the update.

what a dreadful picture, it looks like chicken wire that my Mom and Pop used to have in the back garden when i was growing up.

Linerguy. This being my 54th cruise I know what to expect. I have posted thoughts on the Wheelhouse, on the beds, and on the itinerary. That was a reader is not burdened with a subject which is not of interest.

We all know the good stuff. Correcting the bad stuff, or knowing in advance, is how we profit from our experience. Got it!

Linerguy. This being my 54th cruise I know what to expect. I have posted thoughts on the Wheelhouse, on the beds, and on the itinerary. That was a reader is not burdened with a subject which is not of interest.

We all know the good stuff. Correcting the bad stuff, or knowing in advance, is how we profit from our experience. Got it!

No problem.....I just like to read everything in one review (but that's me, others might not care).

We just got off a cruise on the Caribbean Princess with bad mattresses as well. We asked for mattress toppers, which were not available (or so the steward said). We are trying to figure out if there is a topper of some sort that we can bring from home to improve the situation as we really want to cruise again in the near future.

Just returned from a ;not so great cruise on the Crown. I did a review of the trip, but I thought it would be helpful to tackle each "beef" with a separate thread. I have recently been on two Crown cruises, a ten day in late Sept/early Oct. and a seven day which returned on Dec 12. I was in c101 and c235 respectively, both outside balcony cabins.

The beds were awful particularly on this last cruise. The mattress which is about seven inches thick sagged - with a capital S. I decided to see what was the cause of the sag and put my tablet under the bed to take a picture of the platform supporting the thin mattress. The support consists of a plastic coated wire crisis-crossed (attached) to a steel frame. This set-up should be described as a non-folding cot. It is very similar to the folding cots sold to accommodate spill-over guests at home. The set-up would not accommodate a board to make the bed more firm but thankfully this was only a seven day ordeal!

I don't think that I ever experienced such bad beds on other Princess cruises. I have cruised ten times eight of which were on other ships. My advise is to quiz the line or your TA to assure that your cabin has a real bed. I attached a pic of the contraption but don't know if it took.

Princess knows this. See this posting http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2286193&highlight=new+beds

We just got off a cruise on the Caribbean Princess with bad mattresses as well. We asked for mattress toppers' date=' which were not available (or so the steward said). We are trying to figure out if there is a topper of some sort that we can bring from home to improve the situation as we really want to cruise again in the near future.[/quote']

Shop for a "foam" topper that is vacuum packed. Once you open it it will no longer be small enough to carry off the ship easily. So look for one that is at a price you feel makes it disposable and leave it on the ship.

Or get a really big vacuum bag and borrow the steward's vacuum to repack it.

Good Luck

BTW: in 18 cruises we have only had one bad mattress. It's the luck of the draw.

Shop for a "foam" topper that is vacuum packed. Once you open it it will no longer be small enough to carry off the ship easily. So look for one that is at a price you feel makes it disposable and leave it on the ship.

Or get a really big vacuum bag and borrow the steward's vacuum to repack it.

Good Luck

BTW: in 18 cruises we have only had one bad mattress. It's the luck of the draw.

My thoughts exactly....I have vacuum bags left over from our move, so those will work great. I didn't think my mattress was too bad, but daughter felt hers was awful. Pillows were really nice though!

We have had a few bad ones too.

You don't have to justify your posts!!

We are here to read everything "CRUISE"! ;)

On one cruise a couple of years back, I had a really saggy, or broken bed. First time ever had an issue with Princess beds. Spoke to a housekeeping supervisor right away and mattress was swapped out for another same day and it was great. I think they swapped wife's side too, but it wasn't necessary.

IMO, no reason to suffer for an entire cruise.

OTOH, if the bed just doesn't suit you, well I guess that's the foam topper folks. But the whole fleet is getting new improved beds. We had two cabins on Regal last month and beds were great.

On one cruise a couple of years back, I had a really saggy, or broken bed. First time ever had an issue with Princess beds. Spoke to a housekeeping supervisor right away and mattress was swapped out for another same day and it was great. I think they swapped wife's side too, but it wasn't necessary.

IMO, no reason to suffer for an entire cruise.

OTOH, if the bed just doesn't suit you, well I guess that's the foam topper folks. But the whole fleet is getting new improved beds. We had two cabins on Regal last month and beds were great.

Isn't it great when they make it right.

Did you REPORT this 7 day ordeal to anyone in housekeeping or Hotel Director?

AMEN...and look forward to reading more

You asked and now Princess has listened (very quickly BTW):D

44,000 beds on order for all cabins.

http://app.contact.princess.com/e/es?s=1189047955&e=347300&elq=f84f61aa6f374c1c8cc4d2bf82ea23f3&elqTrackId=f2b9f059b7264b14a6ce6f6d0e93b524&elqaid=1472&elqat=1

01bb855c-e9ba-430a-b5bb-4fc192d6dafb_se5ms116_luxurybed_hdr_ta_v5.jpg

Edited by need2cruisesoon

I was on the Crown in October (Rivera deck) inside cabin. Our beds were perfect. Maybe the more expensive the cabin, the worse the beds?

27926-profile.png

my-cruise-countdown.aspx?dat=01%2F11%2F2016&dest=M&ship=ISMy Cruise Countdown | I'm sailing to Mexico on 01/11/2016 aboard the Carnival Inspiration! Visit Carnival.com to see all Mexico cruises

I cruise for Creme brulee, chocolate melting cake and lobster!

We were on the Crown a week ago in a Std Balcony cabin and the bed was excellent. You must have had one that was broken or otherwise damaged.

The new beds that they are putting on sound nice but remember that not everyone prefers the same level of Hard/soft. There are many factors that make for difference of opinion. Just take a trip to a mattress store and try out all of the different ones and you will find one that you like and many that simply do not suit you.,

Dixon:cool:

I always request the topper for the mattress. Helps to mask bed issues.

But, I'm wondering how you would expect a TA, or anyone you call, to know what the status of each bed, in every cruise ship, on any given cruise ship to be?!

We'll be on the Crown in 22 days. I'm interested to find out first hand about the bed quality.

On the Crown this Oct-Nov for 28 days.

C627 the worst mattress. I think the springs were broken. Great big hole in middle. I started the night on my pillow and actually slid to bottom of bed.

It already had a mattress pad. Told the room steward, bed (or mattress) was broken. Needed to be switched out. The answer was an additional egg crate.

Didn't matter, still sagged in the middle. My husband's side of bed was somewhat okay (these beds have two mattresses not one big one).I mean when I say sagged, looked like a huge hole. Something or someone broke that bed. I would think there would be extra mattresses on board in that instance.

Should have taken complaint to a higher level but didn't.

• 2 weeks later...

I am on the Crown now, and have never had a worse bed. It is literally supported by folded towels underneath to keep the middle from sagging as much, but that doesn't help. I talked to the stateroom steward to ask for a solution, as I had difficulty with sleeping due to the pain, and he seemed distressed. But no change. Can anyone recommend who i should talk to?

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Most unique vacation photo I have ever seen. Lol

I will believe it when I see it. I have yet to experience the LAST new bed that was supposedly wonderful. Every cabin we have been in has had hard as rock beds. Luckily we have been able to get toppers each time but if I haven't seen one of those I have a hard time believing that every bed will be swapped out to these new beds. I guess time will tell.