SURPRISE! Fees for some Rm Service Items

silvercrikhix

Don't know why I am still surprised at the mentality of so many posters here of "It doesn't bother me so it's ok."

Carnival has always included room service. Charging for new items and eliminating previous free items is not ok. Even if it doesn't impact you it still isn't ok.

It IS perfectly OK. The glorious thing about the whole issue is the choice it now brings into play. What will you choose?

Edited by StolidCruiser

Carnival's nickel and diming doesn't surprise me. The attitude of "it doesn't bother ME surprises me every time.

Guess I am a slow learner.

Perhaps you are, and no offense or disrespect intended. :)

Today, you get much larger ships with much more to offer, at proportionately much less money than you did 20-30 years ago. So what if you have to pay for something extra? No one is forcing you to!

Cruising since 1985, and there were no water slides, steak houses or specialty restaurants then. Also, you were lucky to be cruising on a 30,000 ton ship with no balconies. Today, many can't deal with cruising on less than a 100,000 ton ship with their special aft balcony cabin.

Apparently you did not start cruising that long ago?

Perhaps you are, and no offense or disrespect intended. :)

Apparently you did not start cruising that long ago?

Interesting. My first cruise was Hong Kong to San Francisco in 1965.

Lots of changes since then.

My point was not that change can't be good. My point was the sense of entitlement, and the attitude of "if it doesn't effect me it doesn't matter."

I guess I should have expressed myself better, but Surprise is meant quite sarcastically or tongue in cheek.

Of course this has been discussed for months, but it's now an official roll out.

For those of you that don't think this is ok....I get it.....it is another step towards charging for it all......and we know that's coming eventually too. Enjoy what we have now, for sure.

What is the draw to room service?

I am sure everyone has their reasons.

-we tire of people, crowds, strangers and sometimes retreat to our own lil slice of the ship pie.

-Once in a while we are wiped out from an excursion & don't want to fight the crowds to get a sandwich.

-Sometimes you want to sleep in and have a cozy BLT Brunch.

-We enjoy Veggies & dip while dressing for dinner & with happy hour.

-Hangoverish.....Room Service to the rescue.

My point was not that change can't be good. My point was the sense of entitlement, and the attitude of "if it doesn't effect me it doesn't matter."

And so we're to worry about everyones taste buds? How?

We should concern ourself with everyones ability to pay $5 or $6 dollars for what "some" may consider an upgrade in food choices?

I haven't sailed on Carnival (yet - Carnival Vista booked for December 3rd), but I have to say - the "nickel and diming" is more prevalent on NCL. Room Service USED to have a surcharge if you ordered from midnight to 5 AM, which made sense, they were trying to eliminate waste - can't say how many times I saw a room service pizza in the hallway with one bite out of it as I was headed to breakfast at the buffet (I'm an early riser).

Now they charge for anything that isn't continental breakfast. When I read the upcharge menu items from Carnival, my first thought was "drunk food." I'm not judging anyone - I've been there, and know that a Philly Cheesesteak tastes way better than a Turkey sandwich when you're housed... :D

Just got off Glory last week. The wings were AWESOME and well worth $5! Oh and I don't drink. Sometimes you just feel like chicken wings. Was going to try the Firecracker shrimp, but never got around to it. There are still free things as well. The chocolate chip cookies (free) were super yummy too :) !

05302db288878d0d3782def884d041c1.jpg

5bf292b214ff570f15a671bd4b09a49a.jpg

c5d5a9eab98b311afec046cae57c0183.jpg

Edited by firemanbobswife

Interesting. My first cruise was Hong Kong to San Francisco in 1965.

Lots of changes since then.

Point taken and, my apologies for misunderstanding your post! Yes, many, many changes since then, but why should it matter regardless of the affect? You have many other things for free, and some you pay for. Cruising is evolving as it should, and this is how many more people have been attracted to cruising. Larger, fancier ships and all the gimmicks and features that come with them.

Some folks really do not want to think / feel they are on the ocean, thus the disconnect between ship and ocean on some of these mega liners.

As for me, give me the little 20,000 ton Regal Empress back.

I am totally with you Bury Me At Sea. For me, a huge part of the attraction of a cruise is a pay for it and be done with it mentality. I understand some extras here and there but I am definitely worried about being nickled and dimed on my upcoming cruise.. Sure, it is easy for me to say no but I like to tell my kids "yes" as much as possible when I am on vacation (it's a nice change ;))

Point taken and, my apologies for misunderstanding your post! Yes, many, many changes since then, but why should it matter regardless of the affect? You have many other things for free, and some you pay for. Cruising is evolving as it should, and this is how many more people have been attracted to cruising. Larger, fancier ships and all the gimmicks and features that come with them.

Some folks really do not want to think / feel they are on the ocean, thus the disconnect between ship and ocean on some of these mega liners.

As for me, give me the little 20,000 ton Regal Empress back.

I too miss those days. My first ship was the NCL Skyward all 15,000 tons.

It seemed so big to me back then.

Do you remember the huge buffet every night?

I liked the wings on the Conquest and like having the option of something different. I was kind of disappointed on the Valor when they has the old menu

I'm glad they are rolling it out fleet wide

I am totally with you Bury Me At Sea. For me, a huge part of the attraction of a cruise is a pay for it and be done with it mentality. I understand some extras here and there but I am definitely worried about being nickled and dimed on my upcoming cruise.. Sure, it is easy for me to say no but I like to tell my kids "yes" as much as possible when I am on vacation (it's a nice change ;))

"Sure it is easy for me to say no, but I like to tell my kids 'yes' as much as possible when I am on vacation (it's a nice change ;) )"

That was funny....thanks for the laugh this a.m. !

Yeah, it's not a surprise... it's been talked about on here for months.

IT'S OPTIONAL FOLKS.. RELAX..

The regular stuff is still free, just paying extra for nicer items, such as wings..

It was on the Conquest last week, and ithe menu looked good, but i didn't order anything.. It's a nice option though..

Imagine that you are in a hotel... do you think ANY of them do room service for free or low cost??? No...

If you are too lazy to make it to the other 20 free meals throughout the day, then you have a problem bigger than pay room service.

Carnival's nickel and diming doesn't surprise me. The attitude of "it doesn't bother ME surprises me every time.

Guess I am a slow learner.

It seems there are alot of slow learners on here. Everything is still included in your cruise. Carnival isn't nickel and diming you. If they cut out clean sheets or breakfast and made you pay, then that is nickel and diming you. But, offering you options above and beyond your 20 other free meals a day...that is not nickel and diming.

Can you explain what other nickel and diming they have done? I've been on a few cruises over the years and still get the same clean room and free meals that they offer when I book the cruise... I haven't spent a dime extra on everyday items, and I gained 8lbs.

Just got off Glory last week. The wings were AWESOME and well worth $5! Oh and I don't drink. Sometimes you just feel like chicken wings. Was going to try the Firecracker shrimp, but never got around to it. There are still free things as well. The chocolate chip cookies (free) were super yummy too :) !

05302db288878d0d3782def884d041c1.jpg

5bf292b214ff570f15a671bd4b09a49a.jpg

c5d5a9eab98b311afec046cae57c0183.jpg

Is the menu something that stays in the cabin or gets thrown out?

I

Can you explain what other nickel and diming they have done?

No chocolates at turn down. No sheer curtains. Can't take bottles on board...I can't find soda water or water in cans, the prices they charge for liquor through Bon Voyage are beyond usury rates. On HAL I got 3 bottles for less than what 1 bottle on Carnival costs. The list goes on.

No chocolates at turn down. No sheer curtains. Can't take bottles on board...I can't find soda water or water in cans, the prices they charge for liquor through Bon Voyage are beyond usury rates. On HAL I got 3 bottles for less than what 1 bottle on Carnival costs. The list goes on.

No chocolates is a cutback not nickel and diming

I don't know what sheer curtains are, but if they just don't offer them it's not nickel and diming

No bottles isn't nickel and diming because it's for safety concerns. Water is still free on the ship just not in a bottle. Also Dasani now has canned water so you must not be looking to hard.

The price of non voyage liquor is just there price. Not really nickel and diming.

Nickel and diming would be having to tender to port and Carnival not letting you tender until noon unless you pay $5 per person unless you booked a ship excursion.

Nickel and diming would be charging us for checked bags.