Replace Minibar Setup

Oxo

Originally Posted by PescadoAmarillo

What about delivering 30 coupons in lieu of a minibar setup? A soda or water bottle or coffee would cost one coupon; an alcoholic drink would cost two. They would be dated for that voyage only and have no value after the cruise. Mixing a drink at a bar is far cheaper for Princess than purchasing tiny bottles plus the labor to make it the minibar sets, deliver them and change half the stuff out. I don't drink in my room; give us something that everyone can use wherever they want- bar, pool, room, lounge.

As for hole punches, DH brings his own and punches the cards as soon as we step away from the check in desk. It's not a big deal to bring one if someone wants to avoid the PSD on the first day.

Fantastic idea of the coupons instead of the min-bar setup. Taking it one step forward. Instead of coupons, put that on your Cruise Card and this way it would be much easier to get a drink at any bar on the ship without cutting coupons. Your Cruise Card is only valid for that cruise, too. So, NO COUPONS only VALID for THAT CRUISE.

I started a new thread because I believe this is a Fantastic Suggest! This was suggested under another thread and I think it deserves a separate post for your opinion.

Please keep On Topic. Thank You!

No because as I said before they tried this with the coffee card and it does not work. People will be bringing them on subsequent cruises in an attempt to use them.

I like it just the way it is.

Thanks for your opinion. However if you read the entire post it said put it on the Cruise Card , not cupons! Cruise Cards are only valid for 1/current cruise.

If a passenger wants a drink in the cabin it is hard to beat the mini-bar. The coupon system would force you to go elsewhere for your drink.

Yes, but you could take your drink to your cabin. There are all sort of what ifs.

So, should we have a choice of mini bar or on Credit Card?

I personally am very happy with the options as they are.

Swap out any item to mix and match to suit your tastes

Swap out for all soft beverages

Swap out for all waters

Swap out for a bottle of wine

Swap out for coffee cards

As a welcome perk that pretty much covers an average person's want's or need's . Of course there will always be some who always want or expect more, but by in large the Elite Bar Setup is a pretty nice extra just the way it is

YMMV

Srpilo

If a passenger wants a drink in the cabin it is hard to beat the mini-bar. The coupon system would force you to go elsewhere for your drink.

I do enjoy the mini-bar benefit while in my cabin.

However....this upcoming cruise I am giving serious consideration to purchasing the AIB package. It would kill me to drink the minibar options, knowing I have a drink waiting for me at a bar. I would like to see a credit of some sort...I would like the coupon/cruise card option to be applicable as a credit to the cost of the AIBP.

And - I would like the cruise line to ask me in advance of each cruise what my preference is (because I don't think I will always buy the AIBP, and then I would enjoy the mini-bar again.)

Maddle

Swap out for all waters

As a welcome perk that pretty much covers an average person's want's or need's . Of course there will always be some who always want or expect more, but by in large the Elite Bar Setup is a pretty nice extra just the way it is

YMMV

Srpilo

Thank you for your input. You used the word 'SWAP.' That helps to add to the recommendation in this posting. Why 'SWAP' and create extra work for Room Service when it is not necessary.

As a welcome perk wouldn't it be much more of a perk if we could decide whether we want a mini-bar set up or the suggested option of drinks on a cruise card?

I don't believe I can say that the (Average) person's wants or needs is the Mini-Bar. I believe that the (Average) person would like to have an option.

As for those that will 'always want or expect more' this is not getting more. It is a selection of an option.

In the past, under your personal preferences, you could select what you wanted in the way of a Mini-Bar set up. That has gone away.

Edited by Oxo

However....this upcoming cruise I am giving serious consideration to purchasing the AIB package. It would kill me to drink the minibar options, knowing I have a drink waiting for me at a bar. I would like to see a credit of some sort...I would like the coupon/cruise card option to be applicable as a credit to the cost of the AIBP.

And - I would like the cruise line to ask me in advance of each cruise what my preference is (because I don't think I will always buy the AIBP, and then I would enjoy the mini-bar again.)

Maddle

You can put the minibar options in your case and take them home. Not sure it would be worth it for the softdrinks but definitely doable for the mini-bottles of liquor. We did it.

Thank you for your input. You used the word 'SWAP.' That helps to add to the recommendation in this posting. Why 'SWAP' and create extra work for Room Service when it is not necessary.

As a welcome perk wouldn't it be much more of a perk if we could decide whether we want a mini-bar set up or the suggested option of drinks on a cruise card?

I don't believe I can say that the (Average) person's wants or needs is the Mini-Bar. I believe that the (Average) person would like to have an option.

As for those that will 'always want or expect more' this is not getting more. It is a selection of an option.

In the past, under your personal preferences, you could select what you wanted in the way of a Mini-Bar set up. That has gone away.

In my humble opinion, the "average" person is not receiving the mini-bar set-up, it's passengers that are Elite or in a Suite. As an Elite member, I personally like the option of using the set-up, swapping some or all, or doing nothing with it. I like being able to make myself a drink without having to go to the bar and get a drink on my card; naturally that's an option.

Your post makes a lot of assumptions on what people want or will want.

Just my two cents.

Brian

In my humble opinion, the "average" person is not receiving the mini-bar set-up, it's passengers that are Elite or in a Suite. As an Elite member, I personally like the option of using the set-up, swapping some or all, or doing nothing with it. I like being able to make myself a drink without having to go to the bar and get a drink on my card; naturally that's an option.

Your post makes a lot of assumptions on what people want or will want.

Just my two cents.

Brian

Thanks for your 2 cents. However, my post does not make a lot of assumptions on what people want or will want. That is the purpose of the post. I took a suggestion made by another person, added my additional comments to it and posted it.

I think many people are just not open to suggestions or change.

Swap out for all waters

YMMV

Srpilo

I totally agree.

I vote for options. This way people could choose what they like on that cruise. That is what cruising is all about, choice.

I like the mini bar set up. We like to have friends into our stateroom for a drink occasionally and the mini bar is a much better option than having to go to a bar to pick up drinks or ordering room service. I would prefer to see it left as is.

Swap out for all waters

YMM

Srpilo

I completely agree. Thanks

We do not drink alcohol and normally exchange the minibar for two coffee cards. My husband loves his coffee and makes good use of the card while on that cruise and we both have a few specialty coffees per cruise as well. Then we always have punches left that we can use on a subsequent cruise.

I would like the option suggested (coupons or loaded on cruise card) IF we could have one of the usual coffee cards and half of the coupons to be used for soft drinks/bottled water at the bars, etc. That way we could still make use of the punches left on our coffee card on our next cruise.

So many options based on personal preferences, probably way too many to make everybody happy. The less choices, as now, the less complicated to implement.

Maddle

As only my husband buys the AIBP, I lay claim to our mini-bar set up ;)

We're not big liquor drinkers (at least of the items that they provide) and I feel shortchanged to trade it in for water or soda so I'd welcome the coupon idea any day. We've got dozens of their little liquor bottles at home & numerous unused coffee cards. If they switched to coupons our choices would expand to all their liqueurs on the shelf. :)

We like to have a drink in the room. We also by a couple bottles for the room. Sitting on our balcony and having to head up to a bar and bring back 2 drinks is something I don't want to do. Being able to mix a drink in the room in the afternoon or before dinner is easy and convenient.

I vote for leaving things just the way they presently are.

Depending on whether I am cruising solo or have a cabinmate, I decide how I want to use my mini bar. Solo .... I usually trade it in for a bottle of wine. Traveling with a cabinmate .... we trade it in for 16 oz bottles of water to use throughout the cruise.

Leaving it the way it is makes it easy for me to vary my choice depending on my travel situation for that particular cruise.