Replace Minibar Setup

Oxo

I agree. Leave as it is. I like just fine.

Island Princess 2008 Alaska, Island Princess 2009 (B2B) Alaska, Royal Princess (Old) 2010 Alaska, Golden Princess 2011 Alaska, Coral Princess 2012 Panama Canal, Star Princess 2012 Alaska, Island Princess 2013 Alaska, Crown Princess 2013 Western Caribbean, Caribbean Princess 2013 Western Caribbean, Royal Princess 2014 Eastern Caribbean, Royal Princess 2014 New England, Emerald Princess 2014 Western Caribbean, Emerald Princess 2015 Western Caribbean, Ruby Princess 2015 Alaska, Caribbean Princess 2015 Western Caribbean

Thank you for your input. You used the word 'SWAP.' That helps to add to the recommendation in this posting. Why 'SWAP' and create extra work for Room Service when it is not necessary.

However, it's not clear that this suggestion would actually reduce work load. Having the option would create administrative and clerical work which could easily exceed the savings.

On RCCL, we decide in advance what we would like for our free beverage in our room (juice, water, soda, etc) and we make that choice online.

I like the minibar setup the way it is, with the ability to swap. But, instead of making the extra work for the ship staff, maybe Princess could allow us to choose online before we go.

BTW - DH and I usually swap ours for coffee cards. :D

I vote for being able to pre choose what we want in our minibar setup.

On my 7 day cruise in November, I called the first day to exchange my minibar items and did not receive the requested items until late afternoon on the 3rd day. All I wanted was Diet Coke!!

You can put the minibar options in your case and take them home. Not sure it would be worth it for the softdrinks but definitely doable for the mini-bottles of liquor. We did it.

Yes, we could do that, since we will be driving home from the port. But then - I can't bring it along on the next cruise when I probably won't buy the AIBP and I would thoroughly enjoy the benefit. I would also like postponing the mini-bar to my next cruise - just have a double setup.

It's a nice benefit as it stands. I am only tossing in my two cents to the "improvement" discussion.

Maddle

On RCCL, we decide in advance what we would like for our free beverage in our room (juice, water, soda, etc) and we make that choice online.

I like the minibar setup the way it is, with the ability to swap. But, instead of making the extra work for the ship staff, maybe Princess could allow us to choose online before we go.

BTW - DH and I usually swap ours for coffee cards. :D

I actually made that suggestion in response to a Princess survey a few months ago so I completely agree. We are happy that they include this perk for Elites and Suites but we always have to call to have them swap out practically every item which wastes time all around. We don't mind tipping but it does seem like something that could be remedied by getting everyone's swap out requests up front online. I remember there used to be a place to indicate soda preferences on the Princess website and that disappeared. If they could resurrect that, it would be a step in the right direction.

I actually made that suggestion in response to a Princess survey a few months ago so I completely agree. We are happy that they include this perk for Elites and Suites but we always have to call to have them swap out practically every item which wastes time all around. We don't mind tipping but it does seem like something that could be remedied by getting everyone's swap out requests up front online. I remember there used to be a place to indicate soda preferences on the Princess website and that disappeared. If they could resurrect that, it would be a step in the right direction.

I guess I have been lucky. As soon as we get to our room I ring to say what I want to swap. Always have had it there by dinner that night. If we are not in cabin, swap goes ahead and a note left on desk. Options are plenty if it ain't broke don't fix it.

I personally am very happy with the options as they are.

Swap out any item to mix and match to suit your tastes

Swap out for all soft beverages

Swap out for all waters

Swap out for a bottle of wine

Swap out for coffee cards

As a welcome perk that pretty much covers an average person's want's or need's . Of course there will always be some who always want or expect more, but by in large the Elite Bar Setup is a pretty nice extra just the way it is

YMMV

Srpilo

Leave it alone, it works well as it is, don't rock the boat.

It ain't broke, etc...

For us, it is broke. We have to trade out everything except water bottles and gin and beer. That means someone has to set up the minibar to start with, collect things and return them to inventory, bring new things and sometimes eventually trade those out too.

And using a system where it's coupons or tied to your cruise card would allow you to order the exact same minibar setup from room service and trade in the coupons. Only you'd be able to order what you want from the beginning, not have to do trade outs. And for those people who want to pick up a water bottle on their way off the ship in port, or have a drink in a lounge, it could be used that way too.

It wouldn't have to change anything for those who like the status quo. And for others it would be a huge improvement.

For us, it is broke. We have to trade out everything except water bottles and gin and beer. That means someone has to set up the minibar to start with, collect things and return them to inventory, bring new things and sometimes eventually trade those out too.

And using a system where it's coupons or tied to your cruise card would allow you to order the exact same minibar setup from room service and trade in the coupons. Only you'd be able to order what you want from the beginning, not have to do trade outs. And for those people who want to pick up a water bottle on their way off the ship in port, or have a drink in a lounge, it could be used that way too.

It wouldn't have to change anything for those who like the status quo. And for others it would be a huge improvement.

So as I understand it you want to save labor by not having someone have to do the bar setup and changes, which means someone in room service losing their job.

Sweet! As a stockholder I applaud your concern for company profits.

Kinda sad for the fired employee and their family though.

So as I understand it you want to save labor by not having someone have to do the bar setup and changes, which means someone in room service losing their job.

Sweet! As a stockholder I applaud your concern for company profits.

Kinda sad for the fired employee and their family though.

I doubt that's the case. We see many reports here of room service not answering phones and then not delivering items on a timely basis. I have no doubt that the over 400 Elites on the Pacific Princess 50th anniversary cruise trading out minibar times account for the poor room service on that cruise. On our Pacific Princess cruises, room service was there before we hung up the phone.

Besides, inefficiency is never the answer to unemployment.

Edited by PescadoAmarillo

I like the benefit as is.

I don't drink...so when traveling solo I usually swap out alcohol for soda--Diet Coke and Perrier. Will try to swap for coffee cards. Thanks for the tip.

When traveling with others.... sometimes we swap, and sometimes the minibar is just fine as is.

No complaints. Seems a classy benefit to me.

This is JMHO! More than likely this will be deleted or reported by someone as being bad. However, I must say this. If I offend anyone, I apologize. I am just trying to make suggestions to improve things that I feel can be improved or provide better options for all of us.

I am really not surprised at some of the responses. First there are so many people who are resistant to change. Regardless of the change:

'It isn't broken so leave it.'

'I don't use it, so leave it.'

'So, if it is change people will loose their job.'

'Why should I go to the bar to get a drink when I can get it in my cabin.'

I have suggested 3 separate changes within the past week and all have been met with reservation/resistance.

Why do we not want some flexibility?

When people provide opinions/suggestions on the Happy Hour drinks at $5/drink, or the Hours of the Happy Hour BOG1 $1, resistance is there. Have a real free Happy Hour and even limit it to 3 drinks per evening.

It seems like a majority of those voicing their opinion are the ones who are constantly on the forums. Others may be intimated to do so risking being flamed.

So, as they say, 'I will stop making suggestions and go with the flow.'

It would be nice to see some improvements, regardless of how small they are.

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays.

This is JMHO! More than likely this will be deleted or reported by someone as being bad. However, I must say this. If I offend anyone, I apologize. I am just trying to make suggestions to improve things that I feel can be improved or provide better options for all of us.

I am really not surprised at some of the responses. First there are so many people who are resistant to change. Regardless of the change:

I have suggested 3 separate changes within the past week and all have been met with reservation/resistance.

When people provide opinions/suggestions on the Happy Hour drinks at $5/drink, or the Hours of the Happy Hour BOG1 $1, resistance is there. Have a real free Happy Hour and even limit it to 3 drinks per evening.

It seems like a majority of those voicing their opinion are the ones who are constantly on the forums. Others may be intimated to do so risking being flamed.

I am surprised that you are surprised at the responses. Its typical of CC or any other discussion site for that matter.

Don't take it personally!

I am not offended. What could one possibly be offended about?

I vote for being able to pre choose what we want in our minibar setup.

On my 7 day cruise in November, I called the first day to exchange my minibar items and did not receive the requested items until late afternoon on the 3rd day. All I wanted was Diet Coke!!

I am the dummy in this discussion, so please bear with me. The mini's in the fridge in our grand suite on our upcoming cruise in February on GOS...are you saying you have a choice of what is in there? I thought you paid for them as you used them. How do you get free drinks in your room?

I am the dummy in this discussion, so please bear with me. The mini's in the fridge in our grand suite on our upcoming cruise in February on GOS...are you saying you have a choice of what is in there? I thought you paid for them as you used them. How do you get free drinks in your room?

You get a free mini bar drink setup in a suite or if you are an Elite passenger in the Princess Captains Circle program you get one in any cabin you sail in and 2 if the Elite sails in a suite.

It consists of 8 airplane liquor bottles/cokes/sprites/waters/2 beers/2 tonics/2 sparkling water.

After that you pay for any additional.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

I thought it was a fine idea. (I wonder why???) :D

I have no doubt that the over 400 Elites on the Pacific Princess 50th anniversary cruise trading out minibar times account for the poor room service on that cruise. On our Pacific Princess cruises, room service was there before we hung up the phone.

I never swapped out a thing, figuring that room service would be swamped the first couple of days. My problems with room service continued up until the day before we disembarked. Maybe people were still swapping out stuff two weeks in? My problem was largely a grumpy guy who answered the phone and who seemed not to get the order right time and again. Maybe he was grumpy from swapping out all those mini-bars. ;):D

I am surprised that you are surprised at the responses. Its typical of CC or any other discussion site for that matter.

Don't take it personally!

I am not offended. What could one possibly be offended about?

I agree. I'm certainly not offended that you made a suggestion (even if I don't agree with it.) :confused:

I like the minibar setup. Not offended. Not on cc constantly. Not intimidated. Not resistant to change ..... but not for sake of change. I am just not into coupons--neither at the supermarket nor on a cruise. Not reporting. Not flaming. If you want 3 drinks at the bar, have 3 drinks. Have 4. Happy holidays.