difference between oceania and carnival

gay head

Which is something to be considered if the ships were at sea constantly, but most people reading this will experience them on one of Oceania's a more typical port intensive itineraries, where they are stationary at least 50% of each waking day. :p

When the ship is in port most people are off the ship taking tours and seeing the sights. Not playing paddle tennis which they could do at home for a lot less money. We are looking for things to do on sea days when we are on the ship all day. Good try though.

When one boils it all down...Cruise lines are like underwear..

They all do the job intended, however the fit, color, material are all choices for the user.

Even if one chooses the finest silks and has them jewel inlaid and or fur lined with mink...if they dont fit you then ....its not comfortable...no matter the inherent quality

So it is with Cruise lines... Regardless of the inherent quality and ambiance or how haute the cuisine is...if it dosen't fulfill your personal desires then its nothing

Oceania attracts and serves a older crowd likes entertaining them selves through such low key activities as art, trivia, dining. Sporting events and sports facilities are of minimal interest and thus have minimal facilities.

Going from a ship any ship from another line is going to be 95% different.. It will not be a more upscale experience that one finds on another line..

Demographics, design, market niche all make it an Apples and Oranges in comparison.

To choose a non-acitive, screnity focused ,non sports cruise, no matter how "luxurious" id sounds only works if that is what you seek.

Forgot about my bad experience with my new NM black silk blouse I sent to be pressed only on Insignia. They put it in laundry, came out grey. lost all silk finish Unwearable..They also washed my orange jeans and turned them a brick red. Paid for jeans, refused payment for blouse. Ladies beware!

When one boils it all down...Cruise lines are like underwear..

They all do the job intended, however the fit, color, material are all choices for the user.

Even if one chooses the finest silks and has them jewel inlaid and or fur lined with mink...if they dont fit you then ....its not comfortable...no matter the inherent quality

So it is with Cruise lines... Regardless of the inherent quality and ambiance or how haute the cuisine is...if it dosen't fulfill your personal desires then its nothing

Oceania attracts and serves a older crowd likes entertaining them selves through such low key activities as art, trivia, dining. Sporting events and sports facilities are of minimal interest and thus have minimal facilities.

Going from a ship any ship from another line is going to be 95% different.. It will not be a more upscale experience that one finds on another line..

Demographics, design, market niche all make it an Apples and Oranges in comparison.

To choose a non-acitive, screnity focused ,non sports cruise, no matter how "luxurious" id sounds only works if that is what you seek.

Have no idea what you are talking about. Is this a response to something or is in just you rambling about nothing? Please, I am confused.

Everything is including except liquors.

Everything is included except liquors, beer and wine, gratuities, excursions, some fitness classes, transfers, and not all rooms receive the same level of room service. Basically, food, non alcoholic beverages and accommodations are included in the cruise price.

We recently considered another O cruise for our upcoming trip to France but when we compared what was actually included, we opted for Scenic instead, which is truly inclusive. The devil is in the details.

To the OP, on our Med cruise one of the lounges had a good dance band and was quite lively in the evenings. That being said, O is as unlike Carnival as a line could be, IMO. We loved our O cruise. Carnival was an experience we would never repeat. Apples and oranges.

Everything is included except liquors, beer and wine, gratuities, excursions, some fitness classes, transfers, and not all rooms receive the same level of room service. Basically, food, non alcoholic beverages and accommodations are included in the cruise price...

And airfare, unless you choose to opt out and take a credit, which has never been enough to pay for our flights unkess we had miles.

Nobody ever said Oceania was all inclusive (it's ala carte for the most part); in fact that's the primary difference beteen Oceania and Regent, her sister cruise line. I agree Scenic is one of the truly all inclusive lines (we're booked on Scenic Spirit on the Mekong River), but Regent is darned close.

Nobody ever said Oceania was all inclusive (it's ala carte for the most part); in fact that's the primary difference beteen Oceania and Regent, her sister cruise line. I agree Scenic is one of the truly all inclusive lines (we're booked on Scenic Spirit on the Mekong River), but Regent is darned close.

I was responding to the post I quoted which stated that everything is included except liquor. That was inaccurate and those who have not cruised with O might not realize it.

But Scenic is a river cruise you cannot compare with Ocean cruises

Smaller ships, less passengers, the entertainment is VERY different than on cruise ships

My post was regarding the use of the word "inclusive" and not regarding size of ships, # of passengers, etc. Having done many of both I am very aware of the differences.

Edited by caviargal

My post was regarding the use of the word "inclusive" and not regarding size of ships, # of passengers, etc. Having done many of both I am very aware of the differences.

You are correct Oceania is NOT all inclusive

some river cruises are NOT all inclusive

Some people get a little over zealous in their descriptions of cruises ;)

Forgot about my bad experience with my new NM black silk blouse I sent to be pressed only on Insignia. They put it in laundry, came out grey. lost all silk finish Unwearable..They also washed my orange jeans and turned them a brick red. Paid for jeans, refused payment for blouse. Ladies beware!

Exactly why I don't tend to use their laundry services. We have done the 20 for $20 deal on a longer cruise when we had a bunch of jeans and stuff they couldn't damage. I launder very carefully. By the way it's now 20 for $24, I think it was in November. We were on for 25 days but did our own in the laundry and hand washed in the cabin.

Mo

Carnival vs Oceania was addressed last night by the comedian on the Marina:

"Old shark teaching young shark how to hunt for overboard cruise ship passengers tells him to never eat the Carnival ones - only eat the Oceania ones because the food they eat is so much better."

Exactly why I don't tend to use their laundry services. We have done the 20 for $20 deal on a longer cruise when we had a bunch of jeans and stuff they couldn't damage. I launder very carefully. By the way it's now 20 for $24, I think it was in November. We were on for 25 days but did our own in the laundry and hand washed in the cabin.

Mo

Last night, the comedian on Marina addressed Carnival vs Oceania.

"Old shark teaching young shark how to hunt for overboard cruise ship passengers: 'leave the Carnival ones alone. Only go for the Oceania ones because the food they eat is so much better.'"

Mo

Never had a problem.... We do sox and underwear ourselves as its fast drip dry 10 min total time.

Considering the time it takes to do laundry, dry and sort,etc vs what your paying per day for the cruise and factoring it per hour... to do laundry to save $24 crummy bucks is penny wise pound foolish in my estimation. On a recent 34 day cruise we sent out laundry every 7 days. Since the cruise was costing about $700 a day.. I figured 2 hours devoted to laundry cost me $80 in my enjoyable time ... AND after all its a cruise to enjoy having others take care of you....

You can always get more money, you cant get more time!!!

Dan, you're missing my point completely. If I could trust I would get my clothes back the same colour and size I sent them out, I would do it in a heartbeat. I have a difficult time finding things that fit the way I like and I do t want them ruined.

Mo

Dan, you're missing my point completely.

Mo

this is common with him :rolleyes:

I agree I like my clothes the way they are & I for one am willing to make the trip to the laundry room

I do not spend the day there just put them in the washer come back (on time) put them in the dryer & come back when done

spend maybe 30 min out of my life to insure my clothes are the way I like them

Of course it is not for everyone :D

Lyn

Dan, you're missing my point completely. If I could trust I would get my clothes back the same colour and size I sent them out, I would do it in a heartbeat. I have a difficult time finding things that fit the way I like and I do t want them ruined.

Mo

We have done the 20 for 20 numerous times and everything comes back perfect. Don't understand how they could have gotten that bad. :confused::confused:

I hang almost all my own clothes to dry. Silks cottons linens. I don't tend to wear polyester which does fine in a hot dryer. I do dry socks, jeans, & cotton twill pants in the dryer.

To each his own. Also, it's no longer $20. It's 20 for $24 or $25. Can't remember the exact amount. And we have used it and they did a good job. However I only sent the stuff I would put in dryer anyway.

Mo

Edited by potterhill

this is common with him :rolleyes:

I agree I like my clothes the way they are & I for one am willing to make the trip to the laundry room

I do not spend the day there just put them in the washer come back (on time) put them in the dryer & come back when done

spend maybe 30 min out of my life to insure my clothes are the way I like them

Of course it is not for everyone :D

Lyn

Totally agree.

There are times when it is easy to slip in and get washers and dryers and hardly spend more than a few moments in the laundry room. We do our laundry every five days and it works very well for us?