Passport expiring soon

We are going on a closed loop Royal Caribbean cruise starting and ending in Ft. Lauderdale. We are US Citizens and our cruise ends on 4/2/16. Our passports expire in mid-August. Will Royal Caribbean deny us boarding because the passports expire in less than 6 months?

We cruised in September 2015 and the kids passports expired in Jan 2016. I didn't want to get them renewed before we went because they were not 18 yet. We had no problem in East Caribbean. As a backup, you can always bring your Birth certificate, photo id and marriage license.

We are going on a closed loop Royal Caribbean cruise starting and ending in Ft. Lauderdale. We are US Citizens and our cruise ends on 4/2/16. Our passports expire in mid-August. Will Royal Caribbean deny us boarding because the passports expire in less than 6 months?

No, you will not be denied boarding. :D The 6 month thing is country specific and it does not apply to any of the countries in the Caribbean for a cruise ship visitor.

Edited by Coralc

We cruised in September 2015 and the kids passports expired in Jan 2016. I didn't want to get them renewed before we went because they were not 18 yet. We had no problem in East Caribbean. As a backup, you can always bring your Birth certificate, photo id and marriage license.

Why?

In case they tell you that the passport has to be valid for 6 months, you will have the other documents as well.

because as US citizen, you can cruise with just those without a passport

SeaUs' point was that YOU DON'T NEED backup. The passport is extremely valid and acceptable on the OP's cruise.

Why not just renew it?

Renewal should be based on one's travel plans, not the expiration date. If my passport expires in 2017 and I'm not planning any travel until 2019 it's seems foolish for me to renew it before then (and if a last minute trip happens to pop up renewal then is always an option). (It however having a valid passport at all times is important to you then of course you may renew it before it expire.)

As I type this, I have another browser window open for my passport renewal. It expires on Valentine's Day, and I'll be traveling 3/14. I've gotten right up to the part where I print the form to mail, along with my new picture and old passport. A little freaked out mailing it in. Has anyone had trouble doing renewals through the mail?

As I type this, I have another browser window open for my passport renewal. It expires on Valentine's Day, and I'll be traveling 3/14. I've gotten right up to the part where I print the form to mail, along with my new picture and old passport. A little freaked out mailing it in. Has anyone had trouble doing renewals through the mail?

Do they contact you once they've received the info so you know it's being processed?

You can track it on line. I procrastinated last year after my February cruise and din't send it in until mid May - it came back within 4 weeks - just in time for my next trip the end of June.

No, I did mine back in 08 through the mail. I did expedited because I had to change my name and we decided to cruise very last minute. I got it back in 1.5weeks, no problem.

But if you're nervous, look at where you can do it in person.

Renewal should be based on one's travel plans, not the expiration date. If my passport expires in 2017 and I'm not planning any travel until 2019 it's seems foolish for me to renew it before then (and if a last minute trip happens to pop up renewal then is always an option). (It however having a valid passport at all times is important to you then of course you may renew it before it expire.)

I accept that, but they have something booked.

Personally I went and got an Enhanced Drivers License that lets me cruise Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean areas without a passport (Only offered in some states). I still prefer to use my passport because it makes customs go faster. (Sometimes the ID can take a bit)

Why? In Case I would ever forget my Passport at home the Enhanced ID would work fine for almost all the cruises I do... Just an extra piece of mind that was only a 15 dollar addition to my regular Driver's License.

Edited by Firefighterhoop

No, I did mine back in 08 through the mail. I did expedited because I had to change my name and we decided to cruise very last minute. I got it back in 1.5weeks, no problem.

But if you're nervous, look at where you can do it in person.

Most renewals are by mail nowadays. I used Certified Mail and once they've received it it's trackable online after a few days. Last June mine took just over two weeks so it was quick. YMMV.

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/information/where-to-apply.html

Personally I went and got an Enhanced Drivers License that lets me cruise Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean areas without a passport (Only offered in some states). I still prefer to use my passport because it makes customs go faster. (Sometimes the ID can take a bit)

Why? In Case I would ever forget my Passport at home the Enhanced ID would work fine for almost all the cruises I do... Just an extra piece of mind that was only a 15 dollar addition to my regular Driver's License.

We obtained EDL's for our last cruise (way back in 2014;)) mostly because carrying DW's naturalization certificate around made me very nervous since it costs $350 to replace. After we obtained our passports last year we decided to renew the EDL's since we do live 8 miles from the border and we can use the EDL on cruises rather than worry about taking our passports. (And the EDL also works for cruises to Bermuda;).

That's exactly why we got a passport card (in addition to the passport booklets) when we renewed our passports last year.

Edited by clarea

That's exactly why we got a passport card (in addition to the passport booklets) when we renewed our passports last year.

I haven't been following this much on the news, but with certain states' drivers licences becoming insufficient for domestic travel, I assume this little card will come in handy for many people. I'll definitely be getting it when my passport expires (if not beforehand.)

I haven't been following this much on the news, but with certain states' drivers licences becoming insufficient for domestic travel, I assume this little card will come in handy for many people. I'll definitely be getting it when my passport expires (if not beforehand.)

I also worry about being pulled over for some traffic violation on the way to the airport, and the officer takes the driver's license. It's nice to have some ID other than the DL that TSA will take.