UK resident booking with US Cruise Travel Agent

mellg2405

Everything is paid through the USA TA. Some TAs require you provide a USA or Canada address. Also it is not just Celebrity that has a policy of "not allowing" bookings fro Brits through US TAs. The issue is your liability law that is much more consumer friendly. Here if you miss a port or something you get only a we are sorry.

There is absolutely no issue with booking a Celebrity or RCI cruise with a US travel agent if you live in Britain. You do not need a US address. If a TA tells you this you need a different TA.

We have booked Celebrity, RCI, HAl, NCL and Carnival using a TA in the US and have never given any other address than our own here in the UK. Always compare deals both here and in the US. Our next cruise is RCI and we booked in the UK. No OBC but booked when free flights and transfers were included.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

• Like 1

Exactly the point I was making in a previous post. Take my current cruise, since the initial deployment price was released, at it's lowest point on the cabin I've booked, it's dropped by nearly $2000pp :eek:. Now this has been over a long period of time and after several price drops. If I'd booked in the UK, I would have had to forfeit my deposit (x 4 pax) to get the lower price and where would I have stopped: after the first price drop, second, third? Each time losing my deposit to gain the better price. Now times that by 4 people in the family (admittedly, not the same saving on my kids cabin, but you get the gist of what I'm saying) and it's worth booking in the US big time :eek:!

It doesn't always work out this way, but that's the chance you take ;). Obviously I can't wait until after final payment because I need more than 1 cabin and we also have to sail in high season; I personally like the flexibility booking in the US gives. So it's what governs your particular circumstances that can affect the decision whether to book here or in the US ;).

I have been considering trying a US travel agent, but not sure which one to try and trust. I have approached one , but they want to deal over the phone rather than on line,

Do you deal direct with the ta over the phone?

I would like to get quotes on line before deciding and then calling, it's quite a task to do this with some of the ta sites I ve found.

We are in fort lauderdale in a few weeks maybe I can find a ta while there

I have been considering trying a US travel agent, but not sure which one to try and trust. I have approached one , but they want to deal over the phone rather than on line,

Do you deal direct with the ta over the phone?

I would like to get quotes on line before deciding and then calling, it's quite a task to do this with some of the ta sites I ve found.

We are in fort lauderdale in a few weeks maybe I can find a ta while there

I have spoken to my TA over the phone, but the majority is by email. I have a particular agent that I use and I like the personal touch rather than just a big box company. Nothing wrong with these, however not living in the US, I like the same set of contact people that act immediately to sort any issues etc. She even puts a hold on cabins when not in the office (just acts on my email). The extra OBC and additional perks usually outweigh the exchange rate difference. I've booked GTYs too, something I'd never consider over here.

A good way to find a recommended TA is to mingle at the Connections Party. Obtain a few details from other pax and see what they have to offer. CC also have many TAs that advertise on this site, just change your setting the the US (click on the flag, bottom right on the cruise deals page). Don't worry about the previous post saying it's not allowed, both Royal and X do permit you booking in the US - one minor point, if you're Captain's Club, they have all your details on file anyway - so they know perfectly well where you're from ;).

Another advantage especially if doing a Transatlantic,

is that you can use ChoiceAir, I did a TA a few years ago

and my one way flight from Houston to Manchester in

Premium Economy with Delta was £365

We have booked many times in the US and have never had a problem because X allow you to book via the States. Unsure who told you that you would be denied boarding, but they probably have never booked themselves using a US TA ;)? Many of us on CC use US TAs :).

Its never been a problem for me . The dollar exchange is the only concern

shop around :)

• 2 years later...
Sorry to resurect an old thread but has anyone in the UK sucessfully booked a Holland America cruise with a US agent ?

Having only ever been on one HAL cruise (and it will likely stay that way) and for some reason you need a VERY LEGITIMATE U.S. address, use MyUs.com. I have been using their services for years to buy and redirect things from the US.

• 1 year later...

Same here, but rules are rule.   I use a TA in the USA sometimes, just use google to find one - then to be risk free check that no money goes viva them instead straight from your bank to the cruise line. 

Also on line you can find a site that allows TA's to contact you with their best price and best OBC offers for a certain cruise.

Recently, I have actually found on UK TA's offering better prices than the USA TA's (due to exchange rates) so check carefully also remember if you are not paying it all now the rate can change against you too.

Oh I am so sorry I don't want to get anyone into trouble!! I don't read "rules" hence tying to book with a US TA :-)

Thanks all for the advice around money etc, and other sites. Just needing to book for the family for a post wedding party and I really don't want to make it cost more than it needs to so feeling the pressure. In effect I am becoming a TA for my family....maybe I should charge commission. once again thanks and happy cruising everyone 

28 minutes ago, fragilek said:

Recently, I have actually found on UK TA's offering better prices than the USA TA's (due to exchange rates) so check carefully also remember if you are not paying it all now the rate can change against you too.

For the last two years or so Celebrity UK have offered some cruises with better pricing than the US. 

Right now there are some sailings in the EU which are significantly cheaper than if booked in the US. But there are also Celebrity sailings which are cheaper if booked in the US. You need to check the actual individual cruise price and compare factoring in all of the perks and promotions to ensure it's an apples to apples comparison of course. 

Also bear in mind that sometimes it can be cheaper to book a suite in the US but cheaper to book  a balcony room in the UK on the very same sailing or vice versa! 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Moby Jones said:

For the last two years or so Celebrity UK have offered some cruises with better pricing than the US. 

Right now there are some sailings in the EU which are significantly cheaper than if booked in the US. But there are also Celebrity sailings which are cheaper if booked in the US. You need to check the actual individual cruise price and compare factoring in all of the perks and promotions to ensure it's an apples to apples comparison of course. 

Also bear in mind that sometimes it can be cheaper to book a suite in the US but cheaper to book  a balcony room in the UK on the very same sailing or vice versa! 

I know I sound like a broken record, but I’ve been saying for years to check both sides of the pond before booking, taking into consideration all perks and the flexibility both options allow.

It has also been reported that X U.K. are now honouring price drops. The only thing I’d say about this is that we used to get all the price drops on this side of the pond a good few years ago and then it suddenly stopped with no explanation given. It’s happened once, it may happen again.

I noticed the suite thing for my next cruise I booked 7 nights on the edge from ft Lauderade for £1350 total for 2  in an IV cabin with UK TA but via US was coming out at nearer £1980 with same perks (but aditional TA obc of $250).  However, the suite price was £600 less with more OBC using the USA TA - on saying that doing move up after UK booking would still have been less than the USA TA price.

6 minutes ago, villauk said:

I know I sound like a broken record, but I’ve been saying for years to check both sides of the pond before booking, taking into consideration all perks and the flexibility both options allow.

It has also been reported that X U.K. are now honouring price drops. The only thing I’d say about this is that we used to get all the price drops on this side of the pond a good few years ago and then it suddenly stopped with no explanation given. It’s happened once, it may happen again.

Good to know and a good reminder of that 'USA perk' to consider if prices are near the same.  I even got a upgrade after final payment I just emailed my TA to say I know its after final payment but could she ask if there was anything X could do in way of a sweetner - obviously no price drop but got bumped a few grades (in same OV cat) as there was three rooms all bumped to next to each other in  very large OV (could have put at ;east 4 beds in 2 of them) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Laura925 said:

Oh I am so sorry I don't want to get anyone into trouble!! I don't read "rules" hence tying to book with a US TA 🙂

Thanks all for the advice around money etc, and other sites. Just needing to book for the family for a post wedding party and I really don't want to make it cost more than it needs to so feeling the pressure. In effect I am becoming a TA for my family....maybe I should charge commission. once again thanks and happy cruising everyone 

I'm also based in the UK and also use a large US based Cruise Travel Agency. One thing we like about our agency is that they have a with a UK toll free (0800) number, so although we do most things over email, I don't like email my credit card details, so phone my agent up to make a payment. It works really well. I suspect with that information using google and a bit of clicking you'll be able to find it...

One other piece of advise is that I have an internet account which holds USD, whenever I have spare money and the exchange rate looks good I transfer some money over to reduce the risk.

5 hours ago, fragilek said:

I noticed the suite thing for my next cruise I booked 7 nights on the edge from ft Lauderade for £1350 total for 2  in an IV cabin with UK TA but via US was coming out at nearer £1980 with same perks (but aditional TA obc of $250).  However, the suite price was £600 less with more OBC using the USA TA - on saying that doing move up after UK booking would still have been less than the USA TA price.

Curious if you were comparing a NRD to NRD as from what I understand UK bookings are non-refundable. 

14 hours ago, villauk said:

Agree 100%. I've always told people to treat each cruise individually which is why I dislike sweeping statements such as "It's cheaper to book in the US". 

I'm unsure what the current situation is with the UK but we only have two bookings both made in the US. I'll ask our UK TA the next time I speak to her. 

All that said I'm not seeing a lot of value with current Celebrity bookings both sides of the pond. Other than a few last minute deals well past final payment date there's nothing that grabs the eye. Sky suite pricing has made us look at the true luxury lines as the late deals with Seabourn and even Regent are comparable in some cases. Apex appears to be better value than Edge from what I've seen recently when based on a per night basis but still not great value. So I'll keep looking or book with another line. 

14 minutes ago, Moby Jones said:

All that said I'm not seeing a lot of value with current Celebrity bookings both sides of the pond.

Hence us looking at other options over the last couple of years. Last summer, we sailed with Princess for 13 nights for less than X were asking for 7 😳. They did us a favour as we discovered so many more itineraries available with those other lines 😉.

4 hours ago, villauk said:

Hence us looking at other options over the last couple of years. Last summer, we sailed with Princess for 13 nights for less than X were asking for 7 😳. They did us a favour as we discovered so many more itineraries available with those other lines 😉.

I can well believe it. Thankfully we're not married to any one lines loyalty program either. :)