Curr ent CAD exchange rate on new NCL bookings

marmstro

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me approximately what exchange rate NCL is currently using on booking in Canadian funds? I've never sailed NCL before, and haven't been able to figure out how to see the price in CAD through their website. I don't want to call or email, because in the past I've gotten a lot of "spam" calls/emails from the rep. Thanks!

Hello,

I booked my cruise in Canadian Funds. When I go to the NCL website and login, all of the prices are pre-converted to Canadian. A $100.00 On-board Credit is currently $111.00. This is a very good deal. The rate is around 1.11 which is good as the bank rate is closer to 1.49. Even my prepaid gratuities are converting at the 1.11

If you booked in USD, then all pricing will be in USD and dependent on your credit card exchange rate.

Hello,

I booked my cruise in Canadian Funds. When I go to the NCL website and login, all of the prices are pre-converted to Canadian. A $100.00 On-board Credit is currently $111.00. This is a very good deal. The rate is around 1.11 which is good as the bank rate is closer to 1.49. Even my prepaid gratuities are converting at the 1.11

If you booked in USD, then all pricing will be in USD and dependent on your credit card exchange rate.

How long ago did you book and get this rate?

I spoke to a rep last week who said the current rate was $1.38.

Just curious.

My suggestion is to call and speak to a representative if you really want a true answer. You are by no means obligated to book.

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me approximately what exchange rate NCL is currently using on booking in Canadian funds? I've never sailed NCL before, and haven't been able to figure out how to see the price in CAD through their website. I don't want to call or email, because in the past I've gotten a lot of "spam" calls/emails from the rep. Thanks!

I think you have to book directly with NCL to get a price in Canadian dollars. They used to give a certain exchange rate but you have to call them directly to find out the details. I don't get any spam calls from having called them in the past.

Also ask about discounts if you join AARP/CARP

I think you will find that the current rate is closer to the CAD1.38 than the CAD1.11.

We had CAD1.07 15 months ago and CAD1.18 9 months ago. It has been steadily rising as the CAD falls.

I would work on Exchange Rate less 10% as a ball park figure.

Mike

I just went online and still see the add-on items like OBC are still charging 1.11. I just purchased $100.00 OBS for $111.00. Maybe certain items are different.

Is maybe the base cruise fare converting at 1.38?

I should add that anything I book or prepay now for our upcoming cruise is still at that rate, as it is the rate we booked under. I could not book another cruise at that rate though, it would be at the current rate.

Booked a future Norwegian cruise in early December whilst on the Norwegian Sun. The rate difference between booking in U$ and Can$ was 28%. Ugh!

There's a march 13 booking on the GA with an exchange of 1.04 but the cost of the cruise is pretty high regardless

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Nevermore did a dummy booking today and it's 1 to 1.27....I bought it 3 months ago for 1 to 1.08

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

You can use a Canadian travel site to see prices in CAD. Don't think I can name them here, but the vacation arm of our "national" airline, and the one that starts with exped.. are a couple that I use. Both will price cruises in CAD.

We booked in late November through a Canadian TA and our rate is 19%. The group rate on the cabin fare was less than that (close to at par, it seems).

I think the group rate must have been negotiated quite a while ago and held until the cabins were filled. It's hard to know if any of these deals can still be found.

That is normal for those of us who pay for cruises in CAD. When we buy FCCs they are USD250 and we have a PCC at NCL. He converts the USD250 to CAD at the rate on the day when we book the cruise and then credits the account with the sum in CAD, at present over CAD320.

Mike

Just purchased $100 USD OBC for $111.11 CDN. You have to sign into your booking on NCL.com and look under Onboard Credits. This is a great rate as the current exchange is approx $1.45 at TD in Canada.

You'll pay in Canadian dollars now but your OBC will be in USD!

You can use a Canadian travel site to see prices in CAD. Don't think I can name them here, but the vacation arm of our "national" airline, and the one that starts with exped.. are a couple that I use. Both will price cruises in CAD.

Thanks for this. I had never considered checking Canadian travel sites; I've always just looked at NCL's website. Thanks, everyone, for all the great replies.

We booked in late November through a Canadian TA and our rate is 19%. The group rate on the cabin fare was less than that (close to at par, it seems).

I think the group rate must have been negotiated quite a while ago and held until the cabins were filled. It's hard to know if any of these deals can still be found.

What do you mean by group rate? I have a very large group arranged for a cruise in March and every cabin got the exchange rate according to when they booked, Some of us got $1.11, some $1.19 and the most recent got something like $1.30. Maybe it's if you have a TA that booked a bunch of cabins and put a deposit on them. Not sure how they would do that without passenger info. though. Interesting.

The group does get a discount based on how many cabins are booked, but that is refunded after we cruise.

Edited by Mom to 2

Thanks for this. I had never considered checking Canadian travel sites; I've always just looked at NCL's website. Thanks, everyone, for all the great replies.

If you call NCL and tell them you'd like a quote in Canadian dollars, they will give it to you. We've booked 3 cruises this way with NCL and their exchange rate is always better than the current bank rate in Canada. :)

We also booked, possibly through the same TA, and our rate in CDN was actually less than the posted rate on NCL. My understanding from the TA is that is was a group rate since friends of ours could not get the same deal as all the cabins at that rate were sold out.

All of our purchases have so far been at par or less for OBC, prepaid DSC etc.

Quick question -- I booked at 1.33. What about onboard charges though, like DSC? Should I prepay them now at 1.33, or will I get the same rate I booked with onboard as well? Does anyone know? TIA

I would suggest you pay now. Once on board you are subject to the prevailing rate for any charges to your account. Some might say that 1.33 is not a great rate but it is still better than the current bank rate so you should pre pay as much as you are able before the cruise. Because once you are sailing, your booked rate disappears and all charges revert to the current bank rate.